Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate June 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT2016Hopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
First-time applicant to SUNY Downstate for June 2016 entry here. I went to an info session recently and some of the things she told us were:

- 300-400 applicants for only 35 spots
- Average of 6 out-of-state accepted each year
- Average GPA of admitted students is 3.3-3.4 (this seemed surprisingly low...)
- Get as many hours as you can

I wanted to start a thread for others who are applying. Perhaps we can share tips, questions, stats, etc.

Overall: 3.76
Pre-req: 3.81
Science: 4.00
Outstanding courses: Gen Bio & Chem I (taking this fall)
Observation Hours: Currently 52 (only peds) but my form from the facility will say that by Dec 2015, I will have completed 140 hours
Relevant work experience: 21 months as Case Manager for Home-bound seniors

Would love to hear from others about your stats and which other programs you are applying to!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am also applying to SUNY Downstate (and other LI and NYC schools) for 2016!

Undergrad: 3.21 GPA, B.S. Chemistry
Current pre-req GPA: 3.66
Current science pre-req GPA: 3.75
Outstanding courses: general bio and A&P 2
Observation hours: 20 hours hand therapy, 52 hours pediatric sensory integration, 14 hours SNF (to be completed in September), 12 hours school-based OT (to be completed in September)
Other volunteer experience: In high school, I worked as volunteer to help disabled students develop their social skills through recreational activities. In college, I was a volunteer EMT.
Research experience: I spent my last 3 semesters of my undergrad as an undergraduate research assistant in a chem lab.
Work experience: I have worked for about four years in the same position, as an assistant to two executives. I assist in their personal and professional lives.

I was at an open house but the woman I spoke to she didn't say that was the AVERAGE GPA, but the cut off GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you referring to pre-requisite gpa or overall gpa from combined coursework?

Awesome! May I ask, which other schools are you applying to?

I am applying to the following OT programs in addition to Downstate:

Stony Brook
Touro Bayshore
LIU
Hofstra
York

I am also applying to the following COTA programs, as a plan B:

Suffolk CC
LaGuardia CC

I don't have the option to move for school. My husband works on the Island, and it's tough to get a job in his field, so relocating is not realistic for us.

Are you applying to any of these schools?

Last edited:
@kgprospot yes... about a month ago. How about you? Eeek I'm not looking forward to all the waiting now :(

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted 10/16. The waiting is killing me too!

I still have to finish and submit my other apps though, so that should distract me.

Me too... Kean, Stony Brook, and Touro. But they aren't due until Jan, Feb, Mar respectively.

IDEAL scenario: I get accepted to SUNY before those deadlines.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Hey everyone! I also applied to OT program at Downstate. I submitted my app 9/28. This will be a long process.. but I hope we all get in!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything. The waiting is so hard...

I just got an email today about an interview in two weeks! Has anyone else been contacted for an interview?

Congratulations!! Would you mind sharing when you submitted your application, your stats, and whether or not you have any outstanding prereqs?

I submitted my application on November 14th (two days before the deadline).

Overall:
Pre-req: 4.00
Science: 4.00
Outstanding courses: Abnormal psych and Chem (currently taking them)
Observation Hours: I have shadowed in three different settings- about 230 hours or so total

wow! @OTinfo thats great! good luck on the interview! has your status changed on your online application? mine says application sent to comittee...

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Mine also says "application sent to committee."

It's been showing that as my status for a while. I think since shortly after I submitted. Sorry not to have more precise timing!

It's been showing that as my status for a while. I think since shortly after I submitted. Sorry not to have more precise timing!
Im so worried now! Ugh im gonna call them tomorrow

Hi everyone!
Has any of you heard from the admission's office? Any interviews?

I had to follow up with admissions to confirm receipt of my fall grades on their end. In my email, I included a question about when I might hear back. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything from them. They (admissions, that is) have been really responsive so far, so it's possible they'll actually answer.

The waiting is so hard, especially for Downstate. I really hope to get into one of the state schools I applied to (York, Downstate, or Stony Brook). I can't afford private school.

Anyone else here apply to York?

Last edited:
I had to follow up with admissions to confirm receipt of my fall grades on their end. In my email, I included a question about when I might hear back. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything from them. They (admissions, that is) have been really responsive so far, so it's possible they'll actually answer.

The waiting is so hard, especially for Downstate. I really hope to get into one of the state schools I applied to (York, Downstate, or Stony Brook). I can't afford private school.

Anyone else here apply to York?
I wanted to apply to York but then when i went to the website i realized that its a bs/ms program which will last at least 3 years and a half. Also, what i found odd is that they have eliminated candidate interviews and letters of recommendation from the screenings process

wow! @OTinfo thats great! good luck on the interview! has your status changed on your online application? mine says application sent to comittee...
I'm not sure what my status was before, but now it says "faculty screener1"

Congrats to @OTinfo for scoring an interview!

Has anyone else gotten an interview or heard of any more interviews being offered? I am getting extremely nervous that I have yet to hear from them.

Good luck to all!

Sent my application in August and still have not heard anything. I called the other day and they said they interview until April so guess there is still time?

@OTinfo, still dying to hear how the interview went!

Also, when you guys talk about status, are you talking about on the Applyyourself page or the spelunker page?

Hi everyone!

Finally decided to stop lurking and actually join the site..
So this is kinda weird....my status says faculty screener 3 but I haven't had an interview yet. However, I had an interview last year when I applied (I still had a prerequisite left to take in the spring). From last year's experience, I can tell you that the "faculty screener 1, 2, 3...." were statuses they posted after the interview. It's possible they changed that, but from OTinfo's post it seems like the process is the same. I would be surprised if they moved me along the process without an interview as I was totally expecting to have to do another one, but I guess it's possible since they do attach the new application to the old that they just looked at the interviewer's notes from last year and decided another one wouldn't be necessary? What do you all think? Am I just foolishly getting my hopes up?

Hi everyone!

Finally decided to stop lurking and actually join the site..
So this is kinda weird....my status says faculty screener 3 but I haven't had an interview yet. However, I had an interview last year when I applied (I still had a prerequisite left to take in the spring). From last year's experience, I can tell you that the "faculty screener 1, 2, 3...." were statuses they posted after the interview. It's possible they changed that, but from OTinfo's post it seems like the process is the same. I would be surprised if they moved me along the process without an interview as I was totally expecting to have to do another one, but I guess it's possible since they do attach the new application to the old that they just looked at the interviewer's notes from last year and decided another one wouldn't be necessary? What do you all think? Am I just foolishly getting my hopes up?
What you're saying could be possible! But why dont you call / email them to be sure?

@OTinfo, still dying to hear how the interview went!

Also, when you guys talk about status, are you talking about on the Applyyourself page or the spelunker page?
Apply yourself page.. My spekunler page hasn't been updated since when i applied

I saw a post from last year saying their status was faculty 6 before their interview so perhaps it doesn't mean anything. That was not my experience though. It's weird that all these status changes don't seem to match up with anything consistent

Hi Guys,

I have an interview scheduled for this Tuesday. I am a re-applicant ( waitlisted last year) so I am pretty nervous and want to make sure everything goes right. Anyone else besides me and Relentlesswanderer a re-applicant? my application says faculty screener 4 right now.

Hi Guys,

I have an interview scheduled for this Tuesday. I am a re-applicant ( waitlisted last year) so I am pretty nervous and want to make sure everything goes right. Anyone else besides me and Relentlesswanderer a re-applicant? my application says faculty screener 4 right now.

Hey. Congrats on your interview! When did they contact you to schedule it? Last year they gave a week's notice. I'm hoping they give a bit more this year.

Hey. Congrats on your interview! When did they contact you to schedule it? Last year they gave a week's notice. I'm hoping they give a bit more this year.

Thanks! I was contacted on the 7th about an interview on the 19th. I was definitely given more time to prepare this year. Fingers crossed all goes well. I hope you get an interview !!

Actually I was wondering what kind of questions you guys will be asking on your interview? I asked quite a few last year so I'm not 100% sure what to ask!

Congrats on the interview @QueensHopeful! Let us know how it goes please! Also, if you don't mind sharing, what are your stats?

My status finally changed to Faculty Screener 1. Anyone else get an interview yet?

OMG OMG OMG I have an interview this Friday! So excited and nervous! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Had my interview this morning with Dr. Elenko. I think it went really really well. We chatted for about an hour and then I worked on the article/essay for about 30 minutes.

It was so exciting to meet her and hear her inside perspective on why the program is so good.

From what she said though, getting an interview doesn't count for much. She explained that the faculty has no real say as to who gets admitted. That after faculty completes an interview, the candidate's file gets sent to some committee of higher-up university people. She explained the process in a bit more depth but my take-away was that MANY students get interviewed and it's not much of a hint in terms of where you stand.

She also said they try to let people who aren't getting in know RIGHT AWAY and therefore that if you don't hear from them, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Means they're still considering you.

Hope this helps <3

Had my interview this morning with Dr. Elenko. I think it went really really well. We chatted for about an hour and then I worked on the article/essay for about 30 minutes.

It was so exciting to meet her and hear her inside perspective on why the program is so good.

From what she said though, getting an interview doesn't count for much. She explained that the faculty has no real say as to who gets admitted. That after faculty completes an interview, the candidate's file gets sent to some committee of higher-up university people. She explained the process in a bit more depth but my take-away was that MANY students get interviewed and it's not much of a hint in terms of where you stand.

She also said they try to let people who aren't getting in know RIGHT AWAY and therefore that if you don't hear from them, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Means they're still considering you.

Hope this helps <3
thank you! however, that makes me more nervous.
my status still says "interview scheduled" and "faculty screener___" so I'm afraid that it might not be great news for me

Hope this helps <3

Thanks for the first update about an interview season 2016, OT2016Hopeful!