SUNY Empire & which classes can (should) I take online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annachry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A big thank you to everyone who was so helpful on my first SDN thread. I had an entirely different idea about my chances/strategy in applying to med school before getting all your responses. And I think it now makes sense to do an entirely new undergrad degree. (Also thanks for pointing out Empire!)

The only way this is remotely feasible is to find a cheap, partially online option. I've spent the last week or so looking into things, and I think SUNY Empire would be a great option for me. It's cheap, it's flexible and it has some great courses available. I could access physical classes through SUNY Plus- and it looks like take classes at pretty much any any other school that could be transferred for credit.

I do want to make sure I don't make any big mistakes here though, so a few questions:

1. Empire offers the core lab science pre-reqs online, with the purchase of a "lab kit" that I'm guessing requires you to do science experiments in your living room (or maybe kitchen for your gas range Bunsen burner :) ). I assume I should not take any of these online. (Though it would make things so much easier!)

2. But can I take everything else online pretty safely? Just as long as the Physics/Chem/Orgo/Bio courses are actual classroom courses? What about Biochem (not offered now but maybe elsewhere online) and the non-science suggested pre-reqs like math/english/foreign languages? Or will this still be very negatively perceived?

3. It's a little early for me to be targeting specific schools. But I'd like to see generally what policies are regarding online courses. I need an AMCAS account to register for MSAR. I still know so little about this whole thing. Is there any reason I should hold off creating one? Once I have MSAR access, will I be able to search for med schools that accept online courses?

4. What's the verdict on my foreign undergrad degree? I know I can't use it for transfer credits if I want to avoid submitting it. But are schools likely to have a problem if I don't? It'll be obvious I had some sort of undergrad training since I did a US JD. Seems sort of sketchy to say "Pay no attention!"

Members don't see this ad.

You should check with each school you intend to apply to. There are some that accept some online prerequisite science courses, but they usually include that it's not the most competitive thing to do and only 1 or 2 science courses, not everything.

OP do you know if SUNY offers any financial aid for their online courses? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to ask anyone who has taken coursework through SUNY Empire Online, does their grading scale have +/- designations? B+ A- etc? Thanks

Just wanted to ask anyone who has taken coursework through SUNY Empire Online, does their grading scale have +/- designations? B+ A- etc? Thanks
I took both Cell Bio and Genetics there. Great classes, learned a lot actually, there is a lot of time on discussions, responses and labs. Don't wait to do anything till the last minute. Its probably close to 6-10 hours per week for each class, depending on which chapter, some are more intense and lengthy than others. PM me if you have any specific questions.

I received an A in both classes, there was an A- designation I believe though same for other letter scores too.