Supreme Court Ruling, Race based admissions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest actually reading and realizing that he didn't write it, he just posted it here as it's relevant commentary to the topic at hand (and he literally provided the link to where he crossposted it from).
I know that @Goro didn't write it. I said that they pointed it out. Reposting an opinion someone else wrote and calling it "cogent commentary" would qualify as pointing it out, wouldn't you agree?

Members don't see this ad.

Well despite this discrimination, Asians outnumber blacks by a ton in higher education.
Well, that doesn’t justify the discrimination. Everyone knows that they still achieve that much in spite of the discrimination. Put yourself in their shoes, you will understand better.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Yup. And this country was built on racism. You can’t reverse that by getting rid of AA. Can’t just make race a thing forever and play “take backsies” without addressing the other societal factors resulting in racial disparities.
AA is not going to stop the racism, if there is any. If anyone experiences racism, they should report it to the police and authorities and take care of it. That’s the way to stop it. Tinkering with college admissions is not the solution. If the AC is broken in our house, we have to fix it, not the roof or the plumbing.

• Haha
  • Okay...
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
AA is not going to stop the racism, if there is any. If anyone experiences racism, they should report it to the police and authorities and take care of it. That’s the way to stop it. Tinkering with college admissions is not the solution. If the AC is broken in our house, we have to fix it, not the roof or the plumbing.
"report it to the police and authorities and take care of it" Not even talking about the relationship that black people have with the police system in this country, but do you really believe you can go to the police to report racism?

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 13 users
Why couldn’t you write about your struggles in your personal statement or other essays?
Even if he wrote his struggles in the essays, he will still be compared with fellow Asian American applicants only.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
I think it's because race does have a big impact on your life growing up in America, so it only makes sense to be able to talk about that as part of your journey in your PS. Though I'm fairly sure a college can reject you for any reason.

This ruling doesn't make it so that they have to auto-accept you if you're a 3.9, 524+, and I find it kind of dubious such applicants were losing their spots to URM candidates anyway. Statistically they were more likely to have lost it out to other applicants who were White/Asian. I'm not sure how that's a viable lawsuit, all the school has to say is "We rejected X overachiever because they didn't do well in an interview" ( which might be true. I have an ORM friend who applied with similar stats and was rejected because in his P.S he wrote "I want to be a doctor because I love blood and guts" ) etc.
i’m sorry the last part took me out. Absolutely agree with your sentiment.

"report it to the police and authorities and take care of it" Not even talking about the relationship that black people have with the police system in this country, but do you really believe you can go to the police to report racism?
Then we have to fix the police. How college admission is related to it or fix it? I just couldn’t understand the link.

Reactions: 1 user
Then we have to fix the police. How college admission is related to it or fix it? I just couldn’t understand the link.
You are moving the goalposts. And you brought the police up, not me.

Report it to the police? Lol. Next time I get accused of cheating because I’m the only minority in a class and got the highest grade on a test, I’m for sure going to call the police. Hahaha I wonder if they’ll arrest my professor… I hope so.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
You are moving the goalposts. And you brought the police up, not me.
No. I am not moving the goalpost but offering a practical solution to fix the racism. What I am trying to say is that college admissions is not the place or the way or the time to fix the racism. Racism is not allowed in America, it is illegal. If it happens, you take care of it then and there. If you got mugged or someone broke into your house, what you do? Same thing. Don’t wait till the college admissions. It is like attempting to fix the roof to repair the AC.

Reactions: 1 users
Report it to the police? Lol. Next time I get accused of cheating because I’m the only minority in a class and got the highest grade on a test, I’m for sure going to call the police. Hahaha I wonder if they’ll arrest my professor… I hope so.
Do you think AA in college admissions going to stop it then?

No. I am not moving the goalpost but offering a practical solution to fix the racism. What I am trying to say is that college admissions is not the place or the way or the time to fix the racism. Racism is not allowed in America, it is illegal. If it happens, you take care of it then and there. If you got mugged or someone broke into your house, what you do? Same thing. Don’t wait till the college admissions. It is like attempting to fix the roof to repair the AC.
Do you know what the first amendment to the United States Constitution says?

Well, that doesn’t justify the discrimination. Everyone knows that they still achieve that much in spite of the discrimination. Put yourself in their shoes, you will understand better.
I mean that doesn't answer my question of why? Blacks have, and I'd argue continue to face discrimination, yet outside the HBCU, they've never been overrepresented in higher education. They're rejected at higher levels in medical school and are far outnumbered by another group (Asians) you say faces discrimination. Why do you think that is so?

• Dislike
Members don't see this ad :)
The same police that are killing minorities? Have you ever heard of police brutality? Honestly, I feel like you haven’t watched the news in the past decade or you are just purposely being obtuse.

• Dislike
Yes, and part of that uniqueness is one’s race. Your undergraduate institution failed to educate you on race and how it affects people in the United States. THAT is shameful.
Honestly, every level of education up to graduate school doesn't educate on race. Many perceptions come from our everyday interactions and conversations, not hard-core scientific-based discourse, or even a class. That's the real shame. And many state legislatures and school boards have gone further to prohibit "critical race theory" from even being taught.

Granted, undergrad students can pick the classes they want to take, and I think very few "want" to take such a course unless it's required for a major. :)

The same police that are killing minorities? Have you ever heard of police brutality? Honestly, I feel like you haven’t watched the news in the past decade or you are just purposely being obtuse.
Those are unfortunate stray incidents and the police officers have been punished. To stop those kinds of incidents from happening again, we have to train the police better and increase the punishment. College Admissions have got nothing to do with police brutality. They are unrelated. College admissions is not going to fix the racism, if there is any . I stop it here.

• Okay...
  • Love
I mean that doesn't answer my question of why? Blacks have, and I'd argue continue to face discrimination, yet outside the HBCU, they've never been overrepresented in higher education. They're rejected at higher levels in medical school and are far outnumbered by another group (Asians) you say faces discrimination. Why do you think that is so?
I concede you won.

Those are unfortunate stray incidents and the police officers have been punished. To stop those kinds of incidents from happening again, we have to train the police better and increase the punishment. College Admissions have got nothing to do with police brutality. They are unrelated. College admissions is not going to fix the racism, if there is any . I stop it here.
I never brought up the police, I was pointing out a flaw in your argument.

Poverty + culture. Asians have lower rates of poverty an extremely strong internal culture of academia, and you’re seen as a disappointment if you can’t become a doctor lawyer engineer of businessperson by many in the community. It’s why third generation college rates for Asians are lower than second generation. The cultural stigma decreases.

• Hmm
i see your point but imo it’s kinda sounds like “systematic racism is okay in this case because it might feel better for patients”. also melanin =\= better doctor.

The person I responded to said that one group had more to offer their class and colleagues than the other. I pointed out that the URM thing was touted as something to benefit patients not the individual applicants themselves, or their class, or their future colleagues. I thought their point was moot.

None of the paragraphs I typed said anything about doctors with melanin being better doctors. I said that minority patients felt safer with doctors that looked like them. Patients being comfortable with their doctors (and hence more honest and forthcoming with information) tend to have better outcomes.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
The flash summaries I'm hearing (MSNBC broadcast) point out the issues.

I think the WP just posted an article about diversity in states where a similar AA ban was enacted for years. UC undergrad minority populations from historically marginalized races and ethnicities dropped by 50% the year after the AA ban referendum was passed. WP article today "State bans on affirmative action helped White, Asian students, hurt others" is the title.

At this time, and as @LizzyM points out, nothing in the decision says that applicants cannot mention race in any prompted application essays. However, the information cannot be used by admissions processes to somehow promote or save applicants for further consideration if another factor in the process argues against the application. Applicants should be reflective to articulate how the inequities they have or their peers have experienced that may be based on systemic racism/supremacy motivates them as future leaders and healthcare providers.

My concern is that there will be more anti-Asian resentment from underrepresented minority groups that have otherwise been helped with affirmative action. The moment when HPYSM undergrad student bodies have an Asian-majority population (say 40%), let's see if there is any backlash. As it stands there is Asian resentment in California, especially on the self-resentment side of things, and I often worry seeing it be perpetuated in our WAMC posts.
With all due respect, stating your concern for anti-Asian resentment is very strange to me. What about the Anti-Black sentiment that spurred these lawsuits in the first place? I actually fear for our AA friends, who have endured so much. The other side is emboldened and that to me is dangerous. Also, if you know anything of the history of this country, AA have handled terrorism, denial of human and civil rights with a grace like no other, even as they fought for their freedom and for their progeny to have a better future. I cannot even imagine that type of reaction you allude to. This is the same country that paid back the peaceful civil rights movement with the assassination of its leader. Instead of embracing a multi-racial future where all have equal opportunity and access, we have turned back the clock and attempted to erase the efforts of brave AAs who gave their lives to create the same pathway that Asian Americans seek to walk on. It's stunning. Asian Americans (some, not all) who alied themselves with a racist leader who has worked for decades to rid of Affirmative action now are the ones we need to watch out for?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
How can you call the police on the federal government?? Institutional racism is very much a thing.

Whew we need more cultural competency and CRT required courses for med school admissions. This is getting out of hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truly, just like Malia Obama getting into Harvard - both her mom and dad went to law school there. But I digress.
Another classic example is Leila Jackson (daughter of justice Ketanji Brown Jackson) who is in Harvard now and plans to become a physician.
All the bonus points/ advantages in life given to Justice KBJ’s daughter for her race/ legacy/ physician parent/ wealthy background and privilege is somehow justifiable by the same group that obliviously calls out Justice Kavanaugh’s legacy background … especially when you look at Leila Jackson’s answers below in Teen vogue interview…not sure if an Asian American ( even if he/she is a privileged child of physician parents) can pull this miracle off! But hey, who is counting!!

Vogue:Tell me about your plans after high school. Do you know what you want to study in college?
Leila Jackson: I’m going to Harvard for college next year. I’m not sure what I want to study yet. I’m really interested in English. I love reading and literature. But also, I’m really interested in medicine. I think the concept of biology and medicine is fascinating, so I think I’m just going to kind of explore and figure it out. Either of those fields I would be really passionate to go into.

Vogue: What draws you to medicine or literature? What is it about those things that relate to who you are and what you’re interested in?
Leila Jackson: For medicine, I wasn’t really that interested in it until high school. You know, my dad’s a doctor and I’ve kind of been able to see and hear about his work.… I talk to my dad and ask him why he likes working in medicine, and he says it’s just because he loves to help people. I feel the same way. I think I really would love to help people.

• Love
How can you call the police on the federal government?? Institutional racism is very much a thing, hun. Time to exit the bubble.

Whew we need more cultural competency and CRT required courses for med school admissions. This is getting out of hand.
It’s crazy how we learn this exact thing for the mcat in the p/s section, but they still choose to ignore it.

Another classic example is Leila Jackson (daughter of justice Ketanji Brown Jackson) who is in Harvard now and plans to become a physician.
All the bonus points/ advantages in life given to Justice KBJ’s daughter for her race/ legacy/ physician parent/ wealthy background and privilege is somehow justifiable by the same group that obliviously calls out Justice Kavanaugh’s legacy background … especially when you look at Leila Jackson’s answers below in Teen vogue interview…not sure if an Asian American ( even if he/she is a privileged child of physician parents) can pull this miracle off! But hey, who is counting!!

Vogue:Tell me about your plans after high school. Do you know what you want to study in college?
Leila Jackson: I’m going to Harvard for college next year. I’m not sure what I want to study yet. I’m really interested in English. I love reading and literature. But also, I’m really interested in medicine. I think the concept of biology and medicine is fascinating, so I think I’m just going to kind of explore and figure it out. Either of those fields I would be really passionate to go into.

Vogue: What draws you to medicine or literature? What is it about those things that relate to who you are and what you’re interested in?
Leila Jackson: For medicine, I wasn’t really that interested in it until high school. You know, my dad’s a doctor and I’ve kind of been able to see and hear about his work.… I talk to my dad and ask him why he likes working in medicine, and he says it’s just because he loves to help people. I feel the same way. I think I really would love to help people.

Where's your complaint for the many White legacy students? You literally picked one bi-racial (Black/White) woman out of how many White legacy students that are attending this fall? She represents the very small Black % at Harvard anyway.

Reactions: 4 users
How can you call the police on the federal government?? Institutional racism is very much a thing, hun. Time to exit the bubble.

I have worked for federal government for many many years. I am a minority too. It is not how you think. No one can get away with any racism, they will lose their job . Actually it is the other way. I can give a lot more information, but you and the moderators won’t like it. So I will refrain from it. Again, if there is an institutional racism, police racism or any racism, we have to take it to the authorities , congressmen, senators , courts and fix it. College admissions is not the place to fix it . They are unrelated and it won’t fix any racism if there is any.

• Dislike
Where's your complaint for the many White legacy students? You literally picked one bi-racial (Black/White) woman out of how many White legacy students that are attending this fall? She represents the very small Black % at Harvard anyway.

And for those that consider my language to be brash, anti-blackness needs to be called out. Can't tip toe around that.
You seem to agree ( atleast that’s what I infer from your post) that KBJ daughter getting into Harvard and planning to become a physician because her dad is a physician is not a good look…
The comparison argument was to quote some poster mentioning Justice Kavanaugh’s legacy advantages while conveniently ignoring Justice KBJ’s legacy advantages. That was the reason for the above response. No “anti” anything here other than anti-legacy for all!

• Love
You seem to agree ( atleast that’s what I infer from your post) that KBJ daughter getting into Harvard and planning to become a physician because her dad is a physician is not a good look…
The comparison argument was to quote some poster mentioning Justice Kavanaugh’s legacy advantages while conveniently ignoring Justice KBJ’s legacy advantages. That was the reason for the above response. No “anti” anything here other than anti-legacy for all!
Yes, I'm anti-legacy if that's the sole/primary reason for admittance. But what was the purpose of comparing KBJ's daughter to an Asian American applicant? I'm sure there are Asian American legacy students. You just see KBJ's daughter's story in a news article because... she's KBJ's (the first Black woman Supreme Court Justice) daughter. My issue is with the comparisons. They're being unnecessarily made between URM and ORM applicants. When both are taking Ls with AA being overturned.

Interested in thoughts on the recent Supreme Court ruling on race in college admissions, and how it will affect medical school admissions.
Race won't be completely out of the discussion in med school admissions as it can still be used indirectly, but this is definitely a step in the right direction. Hopefully the AMCAs application and med school secondaries in future application cycles will reflect this not ask for the applicant's race.

For something competitive like med school admissions when acceptance rate to USMD schools each year was low 40s about 10 years ago when I was applying to med school (and is now closer low 30s%), there's always the debate and how to best allocate limited stops and it shouldn't be based on racial quotas, which is what AA effectively leads to.

It's applicants with borderline GPA/MCATs who will likely be affected the most. I have seen countless examples of Asians who were borderline (but not terrible) students when it came to GPA/MCAT and ended up being "near misses" for getting into a USMD med school; they were one one or more waitlists but didn't get in, and either had to wait a year to re-apply or go down the Caribbean route. And those that went Caribbean had to deal with all the uphill battles of being an US-IMG (eg high student debt burden, having to have better grades or Step scores in meds school than their USMD peers just to get into non-competitive specialties, and almost completely being locked out of competitive specialties like derm or ortho)On the other hand, I have seen URMs with lower stats than these Asians and still get into a USMD school despite the odds being stacked up against them if just looking at the acceptance rate of all applicants based on their GPA/MCAT ranges. And non infrequently many were Blacks or Hispanics from wealthy or upper middle class backgrounds, and didn't have to overcome a lot of the socioeconomic obstacles that are often attributed to URMs.

Last edited:
  • Love
I have worked for federal government for many many years. I am a minority too. It is not how you think. No one can get away with any racism, they will lose their job . Actually it is the other way. I can give a lot more information, but you and the moderators won’t like it. So I will refrain from it. Again, if there is an institutional racism, police racism or any racism, we have to take it to the authorities , congressmen, senators , courts and fix it. College admissions is not the place to fix it . They are unrelated and it won’t fix any racism if there is any.

People and institutions get away with racism daily, including the police. You can call them and try but I highly doubt they'll come. They might end up arresting you instead.

I think this court ruling is a Tempest in a Tea Pot. Schools will work around it to advance their overall Mission, and if DEI plays large they will achieve equity according to their goals. Some schools aren't using the SAT and I understand there is a movement to eliminate the MCAT or make it pass/fail. This will reduce the possibility of applicants crying foul if someone is admitted with lower stats. In the end, I don't think this will affect URM's very much. I personally favor a meritocracy, but recognize we don't live in an ideal world.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
just by reading the WAMC thread and recommended school lists tells me everything I need to know about AA. The AA pendulum needs to be brought back to the middle and I think it will with this ruling. It doesn't have to swing to the opposite extreme.

Personally, I'm not opposed to this ruling. A poor white or Asian applicant who overcame a lot should be given similar considerations as their black or Hispanic peers from similar backgrounds. A black/Hispanic student with double physician parents or >$400k income should not be given preferential treatment just to meet metrics to appear more diverse. All else being equal, that first group probably has more to offer to the class / their future colleagues, so I hope this ruling can help boost economic diversity within the medical field. Just my thoughts.
How has that worked out as far as the number of African Americans in medicine? Apparently AA are quite privileged according the the picture you paint. The paranoia is astounding.

• Dislike
I think a lot of people miss the bigger picture of AA and programs alike which is to fight racism in general and to increase representation and achievement in all areas. The standards for Asian Americans and whites are higher because it has always been expected of those populations to go for higher education. It is also easier for them because their cultures are more towards getting an education whereas Hispanics and blacks focus more on simply working. Yes that’s not the fault of whites and Asians, but the reason why most Hispanics and blacks don’t try to go higher in the first place is because they weren’t allowed to to begin with, so then a working culture is born and it sticks and nobody questions it but thinks “that’s just how they are.” We need more Hispanics and blacks in higher education so that our society is more balanced in terms of representation and achievement. Blacks were oppressed from the beginning as slaves which is the core reason as to why many of them don’t go for higher education, not because they don’t want to or are under some victim mentality, but because it isn’t their culture to. They don’t think to become doctors because nobody they know who looks like them are doctors. To a lot of blacks, it’s not common to see other blacks go for higher education. (I’m speaking for the low SES blacks which are also the majority of blacks).

So, with the help of programs like AA (which doesn’t exist anymore, kinda) the lives of current blacks, hispanics, and future ones, will improve and their low SES numbers will decline. That’s the big picture. Yes, meritocracy is the ideal, and I agree with that, but we can’t have that yet when the aforementioned problem (getting more blacks and Hispanics, and others as well, into higher education) hasn’t been solved.

However colleges get around SC’s decision, even if colleges figure out a legal way to continue AA, people will still complain out of spite and make excuses/cast blame.

Race won't be completely out of the discussion in med school admissions as it can still be used indirectly, but this is definitely a step in the right direction. Hopefully the AMCAs application and med school secondaries in future application cycles will reflect this not ask for the applicant's race.

For something competitive like med school admissions when acceptance rate to USMD schools each year was low 40s about 10 years ago when I was applying to med school (and is now closer low 30s%), there's always the debate and how to best allocate limited stops and it shouldn't be based on racial quotas, which is what AA effectively leads to.

It's applicants with borderline GPA/MCATs who will likely be affected the most. I have seen countless examples of Asians who were borderline (but not terrible) students when it came to GPA/MCAT and ended up being "near misses" for getting into a USMD med school; they were one one or more waitlists but didn't get in, and either had to wait a year to re-apply or go down the Caribbean route. And those that went Caribbean had to deal with all the uphill battles of being an US-IMG (eg high student debt burden, having to have better grades or Step scores in meds school than their USMD peers just to get into non-competitive specialties, and almost completely being locked out of competitive specialties like derm or ortho)On the other hand, I have seen URMs with lower stats than these Asians and still get into a USMD school despite the odds being stacked up against them if just looking at the acceptance rate of all applicants based on their GPA/MCAT ranges. And non infrequently many were Blacks or Hispanics from wealthy or upper middle class backgrounds, and didn't have to overcome a lot of the socioeconomic obstacles that are often attributed to URMs.

We have URM and ORM labels for a reason. If the goal is saving lives, it's clear which group's representation is needed most in the U.S.

• Love
  • Dislike
I think this court ruling is a Tempest in a Tea Pot. Schools will work around it to advance their overall Mission, and if DEI plays large they will achieve equity according to their goals. Some schools aren't using the SAT and I understand there is a movement to eliminate the MCAT or make it pass/fail. This will reduce the possibility of applicants crying foul if someone is admitted with lower stats. In the end, I don't think this will affect URM's very much. I personally favor a meritocracy, but recognize we don't live in an ideal world.

SAT/ACT is optional. MCAT is pass/fail. Medical college classes are pass/fail. Step1 is pass/fail. If we can make Step2 also pass/fail, it will be complete.

• Dislike
SAT/ACT is optional. MCAT is pass/fail. Medical college classes are pass/fail. Step1 is pass/fail. If we can make Step2 also pass/fail, it will be complete.
US medical education and the US medical system would collapse as we know it.

• Hmm
  • Okay...
Systematic racism (AA) is bad
Affirmative action is a restorative measure, acknowledging the compensation, opportunities, denied to African-Americans since the time of slavery, in lieu of actual reparations. It also now benefits other underrepresented `racial groups and women as well (White Women are the biggest benefactors of Affirmative Action, fyi). It is actually designed to fight systemic racism.

• Dislike
Reactions: 11 users
Affirmative action is a restorative measure, acknowledging the compensation, opportunities, denied for African-American since the time of slavery. In lieu of actual reparations. It is actually designed to fight systemic racism. Learn history, please.
But if the people who are overwhelmingly benefitting from it were never historically denied opportunities in this country (i.e. children of recent privileged immigrants), then affirmative action is not serving as a restorative measure. That was actually a major criticism of the Bakke decision in the 1970s, which outlawed affirmative action for restorative purposes and made affirmative action only lawful for diversity's sake. I actually think if affirmative action were only limited to descendants of enslaved people, it would garner a lot more support. I myself know I would definitely support it if it were like that.
Harvard's undergraduate student body is 15% Black, but only 10% of Harvard's Black students are generational African American (descendants of enslaved people).

Can you elaborate on why you think that is?
Academic standards would plummet. We would literally be having doctors that could score bare minimum passing on these exams/classes and still be going to Harvard for dermatology residency. It would be insane and admission processes would become even more of a crap-shoot and based more on who you know and your connections.
Thankfully, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

• Okay...
Reactions: 2 users

I think a lot of people miss the bigger picture of AA and programs alike which is to fight racism in general and to increase representation and achievement in all areas. The standards for Asian Americans and whites are higher because it has always been expected of those populations to go for higher education. It is also easier for them because their cultures are more towards getting an education whereas Hispanics and blacks focus more on simply working. Yes that’s not the fault of whites and Asians, but the reason why most Hispanics and blacks don’t try to go higher in the first place is because they weren’t allowed to to begin with, so then a working culture is born and it sticks and nobody questions it but thinks “that’s just how they are.” We need more Hispanics and blacks in higher education so that our society is more balanced in terms of representation and achievement. Blacks were oppressed from the beginning as slaves which is the core reason as to why many of them don’t go for higher education, not because they don’t want to or are under some victim mentality, but because it isn’t their culture to. They don’t think to become doctors because nobody they know who looks like them are doctors. To a lot of blacks, it’s not common to see other blacks go for higher education. (I’m speaking for the low SES blacks which are also the majority of blacks).

So, with the help of programs like AA (which doesn’t exist anymore, kinda) the lives of current blacks, hispanics, and future ones, will improve and their low SES numbers will decline. That’s the big picture. Yes, meritocracy is the ideal, and I agree with that, but we can’t have that yet when the aforementioned problem (getting more blacks and Hispanics, and others as well, into higher education) hasn’t been solved.

However colleges get around SC’s decision, even if colleges figure out a legal way to continue AA, people will still complain out of spite and make excuses/cast blame.
A more sustainable and effective response to solving inequalities between racial populations would be to invest in primary school education and after school programs among our poorest, least-educated communities. By the time you get around to higher education like medical school, it's quite frankly too late.

But if the people who are overwhelmingly benefitting from it were never historically denied opportunities in this country (i.e. children of recent privileged immigrants), then affirmative action is not serving as a restorative measure. That was actually a major criticism of the Bakke decision in the 1970s, which outlawed affirmative action for restorative purposes and made affirmative action only lawful for diversity's sake. I actually think if affirmative action were only limited to descendants of enslaved people, it would garner a lot more support. I myself know I would definitely support it if it were like that.
Harvard's undergraduate student body is 15% Black, but only 10% of Harvard's Black students are generational African American (descendants of enslaved people).
There are other marginalized ethnic groups too (e.g., Native American and LatinX communities) who should also be considered. It doesn’t seem like you’re grasping the severe damage that this country’s past actions have done to all of these communities. The damage didn’t just happen during slavery of ADOS. Damages have been caused all throughout reconstruction, Jim Crow, redlining, the CRM, the drug war, mass incarceration, and heavy policing in minority communities. This is a country that supposedly grants equal opportunity, and AA was meant to do just that. Black Americans and other minorities sacrificed their lives (MLK and Medgar Evers to name two of many), for all minorities to have these opportunities. And instead of receiving gratitude, our peoples’ intelligence and competence are always doubted. It’s a sad sight to see. Truly

Reactions: 8 users
A more sustainable and effective response to solving inequalities between racial populations would be to invest in primary school education and after school programs among our poorest, least-educated communities. By the time you get around to higher education like medical school, it's quite frankly too late.
I personally don't think it's ever "too late" to help someone reinvent themselves academically, but I do agree that starting to correct disparities at age 18 (or even older in medical school admissions) is anything but ideal.

There are other marginalized ethnic groups too (e.g., Native American and LatinX communities) who should also be considered. It doesn’t seem like you’re grasping the severe damage that this country’s past actions have done to all of these communities. The damage didn’t just happen during slavery of ADOS. Damages have been caused all throughout reconstruction, Jim Crow, redlining, the CRM, the drug war, mass incarceration, and heavy policing in minority communities. This is a country that supposedly grants equal opportunity, and AA was meant to do just that. Black Americans and other minorities sacrificed their lives (MLK and Medgar Evers to name two of many), for all minorities to have these opportunities. And instead of receiving gratitude, our peoples’ intelligence and competence are always doubted. It’s a sad sight to see. Truly
Those issues overwhelmingly affect generational African Americans though. Generational African Americans' ancestors historically went to segregated schools, were locked out of owning property, and couldn't own businesses in many areas. We can't say the same for wealthy immigrants who have recently come to this country.
Also, I completely agree with you that if affirmative action was purely for restorative purposes (which I would support), Native Americans should absolutely be included in being able to benefit from it, because the ways in which they were treated by the US historically were atrocious (i.e. being forced off of their lands and onto reservations).
But I struggle with your argument regarding the LatinX community. How has the US treated them historically any different from Asians, or from the Irish? If your reasoning is because that many LatinX immigrants come over poor and with no resources, then you should apply that logic to any immigrant who comes over here poor and with no resources, whether they be from Vietnam, Cambodia, Albania, Ukraine, etc.

But if the people who are overwhelmingly benefitting from it were never historically denied opportunities in this country (i.e. children of recent privileged immigrants), then affirmative action is not serving as a restorative measure.
I think this is missing the big picture. Those who were denied opportunities, who you’re referring to, are blacks. Even if the richest blacks become doctors via AA, it’s a good thing for the overall black population because then they have people (African Americans) who look like them that they can garner inspiration from and say, “you know what, I want to become a doctor.” Of course that’s not the only way for a black child to have dreams of becoming a doctor (or another white-collar career), they can also get that inspiration from a white one, but chances of inspiration are greater with black doctors. And yes, wealthier URMs are overwhelmingly benefiting from AA, but of course overwhelmingly because AA is recent. Instead of completely throwing AA away, maybe they should’ve just altered it so wealthy URMs aren’t taking advantage of it. That I agree with.

Exactly. Even kids born in the same family are different. But people are claiming that all people with same skin color have the same unique experience. Weird.
Hmm well when I see Black/LatinX people (people who look like me) get brutally murdered by police, it hurts not just me but my entire community. It’s an unfortunate shared experience that traumatizes us all every time it happens. Shared experiences are very much real. We share slang, culture, and history. We and other minority communities (LGBTQIA, racial and religious minorities, etc.) navigate this society similarly because of it. We are all unique in our own way but our experiences navigating an environment that ‘pedastalizes’ whiteness, wealth, Christianity, patriarchy, and heteronormativity (list goes on) will be greatly similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.