Taking CPJE--need exam questions and materials HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CApharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone got tips on preparing for the CPJE?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm intensely studying now.
I'll give info for something to share.
Books? Ideas? referral?
busy

I j ust spoke to a recent cpje tester.
I have some helpful prep information.

Sincerely,
Stephen

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am needing insight into passing the cjpe.
Does anyone have any tips?

Peace out:)

HEY guys
If anyone has any good sample questions either from Morris Cody or anything good on the CPJE please let me know, I looked at the sample questions from the CA BOP and they seem mad hard. If anyone took the CPJE and can advise any good ways to study please let me know.
Thanks
AJ:cool:

HEY guys
If anyone has any good sample questions either from Morris Cody or anything good on the CPJE please let me know, I looked at the sample questions from the CA BOP and they seem mad hard. If anyone took the CPJE and can advise any good ways to study please let me know.
Thanks
AJ:cool:

Did you go to school in CA? If so, you're years of clinical (non-academic) years should have prepared you. So - just review that stuff.

If you didn't go to school in CA, again, your clinical materials should be reviewed. There are lots of textbooks people refer to here for clinical pharmacy courses & I'm sure they're equivalent. I'm just familar with Koda-Kimble, since she wrote the one used (or was used) at UCSF. (Note - as the Dean of UCSF, she & her staff are major test question writers, so use that info wisely).

Just review & know the info in those books. You'll be expected to integrate all relevant pt information presented to come up with a pharmaceutical plan, dosing, recognize & know what to do about side effects, counseling, etc.... So - you need to know what is currently taught & expected of pharmacists about pharmacodynamics, kinetics, pharmacogenetics (for those few drugs we do know about), etc..

Good luck - don't go nuts - just realize the CA law exam is indeed more than just law. It reflects what CA pharmacists are expected to know & that is more than just where each color of the 222 form goes (its printed on the bottom, btw...). You've been taught all this - you now just need to show you can really incorporate it into a real pt. The law part may be complicated issues as related to law - like how to deal with hospice pts.

I'm not sure if they still do it anymore, but they used to (at least 5-6 yrs ago from a colleague of mine). You read a journal article then have to answer questions on that article. The purpose is to know if you have the capacity to objectively evaluate articles. So, you need to go back & learn study design methods, the significance of n, chi-square, other statistical points as releated to drug studies. So...when you read the article - the point is not to learn the particular drug the study covers, but you'll want to really look at how the study was set up, what type of study was it - prospective, restrspective, did the conclusion drawn reflect the study methods which were used to determine the outcome - stuff like that.

The purpose, again, is so you can help the public discern what are valid claims & what are not. We've had reference to a few studies here (primarily from the retired Tibetan monk, Zpak) & one of the big issues is students don't know how to really read a study & evaluate it for signficance.

So - go back & learn study design methodologies.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm doing all right on most the studying, and I think I'll do fine on law related stuff, but I do have a few questions.

Does anyone have a good resource to review IV information like diluents and stability since they seem to ask lots of questions on the practice in that area?

The NAPLEX seemed to have a lot of brand/generic that weren't new or top 200 that I gave the best guess at but didn't really know, is the CPJE the same think or is it more Brands I actually see daily?

Is there much OTC or mostly prescription?

Is there a lot of "best interest of the patient" ?(I find these to be very opinion based depending on how you argue the point, I guessed the wrong letter but had essentially the same answer on these type of questions in the Weissman book)

I'm doing all right on most the studying, and I think I'll do fine on law related stuff, but I do have a few questions.

Does anyone have a good resource to review IV information like diluents and stability since they seem to ask lots of questions on the practice in that area?

The NAPLEX seemed to have a lot of brand/generic that weren't new or top 200 that I gave the best guess at but didn't really know, is the CPJE the same think or is it more Brands I actually see daily?

Is there much OTC or mostly prescription?

Is there a lot of "best interest of the patient" ?(I find these to be very opinion based depending on how you argue the point, I guessed the wrong letter but had essentially the same answer on these type of questions in the Weissman book)

Took the exam on Saturday, was not fun at all. I counted almost 30 questions where I wasn't sure on the answer (narrowed it down or just full out had to guess). Really don't know if I passed or not. Hopefully since its a scaled exam they can get me into that 75 range. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks. Here are my tips:

1) for the law stuff (maybe 5-10 questions) read Weissman's book. Definitely the best review. Most of the law questions were pretty straightforward.

2) Clinical - whatever you used for the naplex, study the same. They asked a lot of ADR's and monitoring. Know what to monitor for most of the drugs (esp if its like a blackbox or a caution type warning). Definitely know IV diluents. Know whether to use NS or D5W with the drug and how many mL's to mix.

3) Read the question carefully! They will ask a question like which shows the patient best understands why they are taking the medication and they will give all right answers on the medication (ie side effects storage etc) but one will be the right answer as to why the patient will be taking it (ie to treat my anemia), so make sure you take your time and read the question carefully. I took the entire two hours!

4) I had a few calculations, pretty straightfoward. Know CrCl, diluents, etc. Just go over the very basic math questions.

5) They used a lot of brand names.. and they even pulled a naplex and threw random brand names I've never heard of. So know your top 300 drugs.

6) Know which drugs can be interchanged

Hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks Blackjack, I appreciate your feedback, especially since I have a limited time in which to focus before Tuesday ;)

Hospital and IV based questions just scare me, it's been a LONG time since I've done that stuff . . .

Does anybody know how the scaling works on the MPJE? I know they say that in order to pass the naplex you need to get about 60% right which works out to a 75 scaled score. Do you guys know what it would be for the MPJE?

It's the same thing. About 60% has been a best guess, however, we actually have zero insight and it may change depending on the version of the test administered.
I totally hate this scaled stuff though, it seems to leave me exceptionally confused about how I did until I get my score.

If you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go stress out about tomorrows exam.

It's the same thing. About 60% has been a best guess, however, we actually have zero insight and it may change depending on the version of the test administered.
I totally hate this scaled stuff though, it seems to leave me exceptionally confused about how I did until I get my score.

If you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go stress out about tomorrows exam.

So.. how'd it go??

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely agree the Weissman book is a great asset, but feel that there were some law questions on the CPJE that were barely mentioned in the Weisman book. If you have time, I definitely recommend reading the California Board of Pharmacy website. When I was scrolling through the website during the past 2 months trying in vain to find out how many people took the test, I discovered that a lot of the questions came right out of the FAQs, newsletters, and publications sections they have on the website.

Although I have never read it, the board even has an article on quality assurance which I am sure most of us never had formal lectures on. It might do you some good to read it, because there were plenty of those questions on the test as well.

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/written.htm#health_notes

Don't take the law portion for granted. Although the majority of the questions are clinical based, it might make or break you. Review your top 300 drugs, especially brand/generic, ADE, DDI, patient counseling points. There are some dosing questions, but if you are running out of time, it's the portion that was least emphasized, at least on my version of the exam anyway. If you know your drugs, you should be able to answer most of the questions. Some of the clinical questions were just plain hard and seems that there was no exact answer. Don't listen to what people in the past years say about what is on the exam. Cover all your basis by studying as many topics as possible, but again, it's all about the drugs. Take a day off on the day before the test and get plenty of sleep.

Well, I'm awaiting results (which should be a little faster with the NAPLEX results not going anywhere, right?) so I guess I'll find out soon.

Everyone I talked to seemed to have similar questions. I seem to have gotten a different version of the exam. It didn't seem too bad though I think I had less than 5 questions Id've actually considered "law". I'm just glad I'm done (hopefully for good).

Now as long as the board is decently efficient (who am I kidding) my boss will finally get a few days off (I'm taking over for a woman who started her maternity leave last week).

So how long's it been taking to get scores now that they're releasing them?

hope you didn't take the test after sept 1st. or you're in for a long wait.

edit : oh looks like you did, take it sept 4th. sorry man. you might be waiting until january to get your results. i can't believe they make it so damn hard to get licensed in this state. the SECOND such assessment review in the last 6 months. horrible... so even if you got lucky and were one of the last to take the naplex before it got suspended, you'll be waiting just like those of us who weren't able to...

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rel_exam_scores.pdf

Hey guys...

I just sat for the CPJE in May. :eek: I hope I don't psych any of you out but it is one of the more difficult exams I have taken. I went to school in Nebraska and graduated 4 years ago. My primary license is Nebraska but California does not allow reciprocity so I had to re-take the NAPLEX and also had to take the CPJE to become licensed here. The CPJE is unlike the MPJE in that it is very clinically driven. The BEST advice I can give is to go the CA board's website and print off their study guides. They provide a sample exam and answers. I used that as a study tool. Also, visit their website regularly prior to testing to check for updates and new questions. Rote memory will not help in this case - try to understand the questions and answers conceptually, reason through them, talk through them, expand on the question and/or the drug they are discussing in the question. It turned out to be a great clinical review for me. :) Study, study, study and have an open mind and you will do great!

Good luck!

P.S. I passed and now have my CA license! :D

It took 72 days for me to get my results. Then an additional 2 weeks for the license # to be posted on the internet (which my employer needed before I could go to work). I still have not received the actual license - they say 4-6 weeks for that! Let us know how you did - I am sure fine.

Um yeah. I feel like something terrible should befall the board.

I'm having psychological issues since I basically took the exam as soon as I could with the board being slow to process out of state applications and the new company not accepting my DL and SS card as the same, then when I was finally awaiting results, about the time I'm EXPECTING results those foul things decide to post a message saying they decided to start holding results weeks before.

So I'm working on getting all the recruiters for major companies to gang up on the board becasue frankly I think this whole thing is someone's asinine way of keeping people from out of state from getting licensed within a reasonable time frame.

So yeah, I'm basically hoping I failed the exam, because by the time results are released I could take it again, and I won't have been waiting all this time I could have been practicing.

Cheer up Pharmtard,

CA is very difficult to deal with when it comes to licensing health care professionals. Don't let it get to you. I have traveled to a handful of other states as a pharmacist and the way in which I provide pharmaceutical care does not change. What does change, however, is the way the paper is pushed (record maintenance etc...) I really stressed about the CA exam until I finally told myself that I am a competent pharmacist and if CA deems otherwise based upon a ridiculous exam then it is their loss. The fact that the state is able to proclaim the NAPLEX deficient in certain areas, and administer a clinically based exam as opposed to law, is beyond me. Until I got licensed here I worked as a traveling relief pharmacist for the feds (IHS) and loved it. My primary license sufficed and it allowed me to actually practice as a pharmacist, meet new people and keep busy until I got my results. So, hang in there!

Hi Rphchase,

Thanks for the insights given. You said about the study guides on CA board website, is it the script and health notes or are there something else too. Moreover the health notes do not have answers for the questions.Please let me know
thanks

I took the exam on the 1st, and then on the 13th they post a notice stating they are doing another QA review which they initiated on the 1st! WTF is that about? Wouldnt they at least let the people know ahead of time that they are going to pull the rug from underneath us?? Right now it looks like i will be real lucky if I even become liscensed before the end of the year.. I mean **** I dont even know if i passed the CPJE.. I have to wait until december before I find out..!?!?

Hello All,
Just wondering if anyone got their results from August, I wrote my exam on Aug 31 and they announced the QA starting Sept 1, but i haven't gotten my results yet...anyone have any insight!?!?

Pharmacist2007,

When you get to the CA BOP website click onto "Information for Applicants", then click on the "pharmacist application" link, scroll down to the subheading of "study". There you will see all of the study materials that are available. Let me know if that works for ya! Good luck!

So Blackjack and PerPharm, looks like we're all part of a not so exclusive club of "we don't want to license you until next years graduating class thus creating a shortage of such massive proportions that patients lives will be at stake as the existing pharmacists available work massive amounts of overtime leading to an increased number of mistakes".
Yeah, I'm a little pessimistic, but as Blackjack noted it may have been different if I knew before I took the exam instead of 2 weeks later when I was expecting my results.

In other news, I'm open to theories as to why they're doing this. My top are torture and hatred of out of state pharmacists, but I also have a strange feeling that they're just holding the results so they can set a curve that will continue to have only 75% of people pass the exam. You know, as in the grading is not pre-determined. Needless to say, not to be a jerk, but I kinda hope everyone in my 400 is an idiot so I can pass (and I still hope tons of people failed in June and July so they can retake the exam now and add to our 400).

Does anyone know if theres a way to check how many people have taken the CPJE so far?? wish I knew how much longer i'd have to wait. the anticipation is killing me

I e-mailed them (about 3 times) and finally got a message back (it's not like they're actually busy since they couldn't do CPJE or NAPLEX).
I was told it was about 100-150 at the end of the month.
A kinda large range and a fairly unhelpful number. Looks like we're waiting forever.

Hi all,
Just took California "law" test and found out that I won't get my results probably until the new year :( I agree with everyone else that this is pure torture not to know when we will be able to leave the state that we're currently in.

Hi pharmtard,
I am giving my CPJE in november, I badly need some help regarding cpje. can you please give your email address, so that i can discuss about cpje.

thanks a lot, rockydada.

I score transferred from OK and will be taking the CPJE in Feb. It seems like everyone thinks that the Weissman book is the best review for the law content. Is it only available on campus in CA? I can't find it on the internet. If so, does anyone who lives locally have a phone # for the bookstore. Not sure they would send it to me but I thought I'd try.

Thanks!

Hi all,
Just took California "law" test and found out that I won't get my results probably until the new year :( I agree with everyone else that this is pure torture not to know when we will be able to leave the state that we're currently in.

Hey Pharm5252,

Who told you that you won't get your results until the new year? Did you the California Board tell you that? Thanks.

I'm a licensed pharmacist from Michigan. I originally started applying for the CPJE in June, and moved to California in September. I finally got the letter from the board a week ago and took the CPJE today. Actually I just finished about 2h ago.

The exam is imo harder than the naplex was. Some of the questions were insane. No way I could have studied for them. All in all I think I guessed on about 30 questions.

It all depends on how they grade it, but I'm thinking I have about a 50/50 chance of passing. Either way it looks like I'm gonna be moving back to Michigan soon, I can't afford to stay here for months as an intern hoping for the BoP to get their act together.

I'm a licensed pharmacist from Michigan. I originally started applying for the CPJE in June, and moved to California in September. I finally got the letter from the board a week ago and took the CPJE today. Actually I just finished about 2h ago.

The exam is imo harder than the naplex was. Some of the questions were insane. No way I could have studied for them. All in all I think I guessed on about 30 questions.

It all depends on how they grade it, but I'm thinking I have about a 50/50 chance of passing. Either way it looks like I'm gonna be moving back to Michigan soon, I can't afford to stay here for months as an intern hoping for the BoP to get their act together.

How long have you been practicing in Michigan?? I've been licensed for a little over a year in Oklahoma and I regret not taking the CPJE soon after the NAPLEX. So was there not alot of law, mostly clinical like everyone says?

Good luck! Hope you don't have to move!

Hey Pharm5252,

Who told you that you won't get your results until the new year? Did you the California Board tell you that? Thanks.

Daisy, The Board has not told me anything. I was just guessing based on the fact that Pharmtard said that the Board's e-mail stated that only 100-150 people had taken the exam at the end of September and we need 400. It seems like it may take a few more months. At this rate I figured it would probably run into the new year. Sorry, wish I knew more.

Hi I email the board and they told me as of 11/2/07 there are 278 students have taken the CPJE, they will release the test results around the end of november.

Hi I email the board and they told me as of 11/2/07 there are 278 students have taken the CPJE, they will release the test results around the end of november.

Thanks for the info SCal. Do you think they will release the scores by the end of this month even though 400 ppl havent taken it yet?

i took cpje 11/26 and they mailed the result dated 11/30. in 4 days. and i got it in the mail today 12/03. unfortunately i didnt pass:(

Hey, There - I did not pass on the 1st attempt either! I got a 74 and I also took the test again on 11/26. I have not received the results, but I am hoping for a 75 or better. Keep your chin up and good luck on your next attempt! -RWB

Wow.. Thats unusual. I took the exam same day and I got the result already. I think u passed. They are just prolonging your suspense. Hehe.. Keep us posted when u pass, maybe I can buy your reviewers if u choose to loose em. :)
-r

Hey, what time did you take your test? Just curious - I took mine at 1pm EST on Nov. 26th and have not received my results. Thanks, RWB