taking random non-related classes vs staying on a fixed timeline??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezio

cheese steaks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it better to take classes that are random and getting A in them or taking strict "pre-med" courses and getting A in them?

Like I am considering signing up for a special topics in poli sci OR in mayan culture (wtf lol)

the latter has only room for 2 people in the class so idk and the the former has 20

Members don't see this ad.

you can take whatever you want whenever you want, as long as you get the pre-reqs in and do well in them.

Like Ismet said, make sure to take the required (and perhaps a few recommended) courses. Other than that, take whatever you think is interesting. Don't take an advanced cell bio class over a poli sci class just because you think it will look 'better' to med schools. Some of my favorite classes in college where in the social sciences. Just make sure to get a decent grade!

Members don't see this ad :)
Like Ismet said, make sure to take the required (and perhaps a few recommended) courses. Other than that, take whatever you think is interesting. Don't take an advanced cell bio class over a poli sci class just because you think it will look 'better' to med schools. Some of my favorite classes in college where in the social sciences. Just make sure to get a decent grade!

Agreed. You don't have to take science classes. I really enjoyed my composition and english classes.

I'd recommend taking mostly science/premed courses that will prepare you for the mcat. GPA is important but if you can't get a good score on that test then it doesn't matter. But, I'd also recommend taking a class or two that you will enjoy. I took improvisation during my sophomore year as a breath of fresh air. Just don't fall behind and balance. Balance is the key to life of a premed.