Taking the new MCAT without taking Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callmesubo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here take the new MCAT without actually taking Biochem class in college? I have been self teaching Biochem from the Kaplan Biochem book, khan academy videos and other youtube videos and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the concepts. I just don't have time to take biochem now since I have been studying for MCAT and plan to take it in April 2016. I work a full time job and a side job. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I take it on the 22nd and haven't had a formal biochemistry lecture/lab. I have, however, been volunteering in a biochemistry research lab in the med school at my university. I feel pretty good about Biochem/biology. That section has been my strongest one on all the practice exams I have taken!

With my Kaplan course, Khan Academy, and wikipedia, (and a tooon of scrap paper), I feel like I learned and got a really good grasp on all the important pathways and metabolic systems!

The beauty of the addition of Biochem with this new MCAT is that it overlaps with Biology SO MUCH. Study both topics together and see where things overlap and how it relates to both topics, you'll be golden!

I take it on the 22nd and haven't had a formal biochemistry lecture/lab. I have, however, been volunteering in a biochemistry research lab in the med school at my university. I feel pretty good about Biochem/biology. That section has been my strongest one on all the practice exams I have taken!

With my Kaplan course, Khan Academy, and wikipedia, (and a tooon of scrap paper), I feel like I learned and got a really good grasp on all the important pathways and metabolic systems!

The beauty of the addition of Biochem with this new MCAT is that it overlaps with Biology SO MUCH. Study both topics together and see where things overlap and how it relates to both topics, you'll be golden!

Thank you so much. How long it took you to prepare for the test? Were you working/going to school at the same time? If you have any practice questions as pdf please let me know. Wish you very best of luck with your exam. You gonna ace it!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much. How long it took you to prepare for the test? Were you working/going to school at the same time? If you have any practice questions as pdf please let me know. Wish you very best of luck with your exam. You gonna ace it!

I've been studying basically full time from may-aug. I studied here and there during the Spring semester, but it was tough with a full class load. I decided not to work this summer, and only focus on the MCAT though. Taking a toll on my wallet though.... And are you in a Kaplan prep course, by any chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it in July, and in my opinion, I can't imagine taking the new exam without taking biochem. I took it the semester before and that helped so much while studying and understanding the passages. I would highly recommend taking a biochem course before the MCAT.

I took the new exam May 22 and managed to score above the "mean" 125 on bio but not by much (126). I am retaking again in January after a formal biochem class because I think it's impossible to truly excel on the bio section without it. If you are very strong in the other sections you may end up really happy with your score without it, but to put yourself in the best position possible without needing to retake, I would wait.

I've been studying basically full time from may-aug. I studied here and there during the Spring semester, but it was tough with a full class load. I decided not to work this summer, and only focus on the MCAT though. Taking a toll on my wallet though.... And are you in a Kaplan prep course, by any chance?
I am planning on taking the kaplan course in November after I review the contents one more time and do some practice exams by myself.

I took the new exam May 22 and managed to score above the "mean" 125 on bio but not by much (126). I am retaking again in January after a formal biochem class because I think it's impossible to truly excel on the bio section without it. If you are very strong in the other sections you may end up really happy with your score without it, but to put yourself in the best position possible without needing to retake, I would wait.
Thanks for your reply. I will see if I could squeeze it in during the winter time. Since i reviewed biochem already from kaplan and examkracker I think it will be a bit easier for me to finish it up.

Did anyone here take the new MCAT without actually taking Biochem class in college? I have been self teaching Biochem from the Kaplan Biochem book, khan academy videos and other youtube videos and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the concepts. I just don't have time to take biochem now since I have been studying for MCAT and plan to take it in April 2016. I work a full time job and a side job. Thanks for your help.

Would you take a biochemistry final exam based on what you reviewed so far? If you feel confident that your self-study using lightweight MCAT review books is enough that you could pull an A on a biochemistry final, then why not? To me it sounds like a formula for disaster. I took biochemistry and am worried about that section more than any other. I can't imagine trying to wing a subject that makes up 35% of the exam.

I'd take the advice of the people posting here that took the MCAT already.

Thanks for writing back. Did you take any prep courses like kaplan. If yes, was it helpful for biochem and overall?

I took TPR. And yes, it was helpful because it was forcing me to look at the material for 12 hours a week. The best part about the course was keeping you bombarded with material, giving me the online component (TPR online that comes with the course is amazing), and the books + access to really smart teachers. I would say if you are a super dilligent studyer and very self-motivated the class is not necessary, but for me the class served as a kick in the ass.

What did you think about the mcat you took assuming you still took it on the 22nd

Took mcat without taking an actUal biochem class. Studied from khan academy and the TPRbooks. score 127,121,125,129. Science GPA 3.55. Applied to 14 Osteopathic school and so far got interview invites from 7 (ACOM, BCOM, UIWCOM, NYCOM, WVSOM, DCOM, UNECOM). Didn't apply to any MD school.

Took mcat without taking an actUal biochem class. Studied from khan academy and the TPRbooks. score 127,121,125,129. Science GPA 3.55. Applied to 14 Osteopathic school and so far got interview invites from 7 (ACOM, BCOM, UIWCOM, NYCOM, WVSOM, DCOM, UNECOM). Didn't apply to any MD school.
Is that gpa with or without grade replacement?

Taking the MCAT without having taken biochem is not a good idea, especially given the biochem emphasis on the new exam. Can it be done? Sure, there will always be people who can effectively study all the material for it without taking the class. But my philosophy is never to think you're going to be the exception - that's a surefire way of being disappointed.

I took the mcat without biochem. I haven't gotten my score back, but if you can take the class, then take it. Personally, I found the kaplan book to cover all the biochem that's on the test. I also didn't have much biochem on my test.

Taking the MCAT without having taken biochem is not a good idea, especially given the biochem emphasis on the new exam. Can it be done? Sure, there will always be people who can effectively study all the material for it without taking the class. But my philosophy is never to think you're going to be the exception - that's a surefire way of being disappointed.
Yea definitely try to take class. But I just didn't have money to pay $1600 for the class when i was already buried in student loan. So far got into ACOM AND WVSOM and now that I have some cash, i am taking it online. Take the class before taking MCAT but know it's doable depending on how well you can self teach.

I know I posted earlier (over a year ago) that taking the MCAT without biochemistry was not a good idea. Since then I have taken the MCAT and my opinion has changed. I still thinks it's a good idea to take that class, but everything I needed for my particular MCAT was covered in my TBR books. It can be done if you do all of their review questions (maybe 300 total) and passages (maybe 30 total) on that subject.

Reactions: 2 users