Taking time off before school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yummybrew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. I am having a hard time deciding about how much time to take off. Just wanted to see if anyone had ever taken off more time than they had originally intended and regretted it? I originally told my employer that I would be done working around the end of July (I'm an RA, and they are well aware of my school situation), but I am beginning to rethink this. My only reserve is going without a paycheck for a longer duration than I had originally intended....although I also have a part-time serving job, which I would consider keeping until closer to when school will start. Or should I scrap that job all together too? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking 6 weeks off, but I think I will be a little stir-crazy by the end of it. My plan is to spend as much time as possible with my loved ones before I move away. It will be the first time I have been without a job in about 10 years, so I'm not sure what I will do with myself but I'm excited to find out :D

It all depends on how you're feeling and what you would like to do with that time. Would you just be hanging out at home? Do you feel like you need more of a break before starting school?

With regards to finances, if you're only going to take a couple weeks more the money difference would probably be quite small. You won't have an opportunity like this for a long time, so if you're feeling the need I say take go for it!

I agree with the above.

I'm working 45-50 hours a week right now and my jobs ends in late June (it's an AmeriCorps position, so fortunately I didn't have to deal with the question of deciding on an ending date... it was done for me!). I'll end up with 5-6 weeks of time off before I move. I am a little concerned about money and a tiny, tiny, tiny part of me feels like I should find a quick and easy retail position for the month of July just to make some extra cash.... but a MUCH bigger part of me knows that I need to take those few weeks off to spend time with my family (I'm moving 1500 miles away!), enjoy being surrounded by the Great Lakes while I'm still here, and just relax. My job has been quite stressful so I really think I need to chill out and decompress before launching myself into the insanity of grad school.

I feel like 5-6 weeks is a solid amount of time. It's not long enough to really get bored (probably..), but it's enough time to let yourself really come down from your duties and responsibilities as an employee but before the anxiety of grad school sets in, you know? Also figure that, depending on how far you're going, you may need a week or more to get packed and ready to move...... you don't want to only give yourself 3 weeks off and then spend half of that time in a mad rush trying to prepare to move.

Personally, if I was in your position, I'd take more time off. If you don't finish until the end of July, you're likely to pretty much be jumping right into school -- give yourself a little bit of time to regroup!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm an RA too and was planning on leaving june 30...taking july off...start school beginning of august

When I moved for grad school I worked until the end of July and moved to my new town the beginning of August. I did it for the same reason of wanting a paycheck as long as possible, but in retrospect it would have been nice to have some downtime to spend with my family and friends before the move. I don't think you will regret taking that extra time to spend with others or to just relax!

Also, things like getting your address changed and setting up new accounts in your new town, etc., take a lot of time and figuring out. The more of that you are able to get done before school actually starts the better! If you're able to move a little early or do some of those things with your time off, I personally would have found it helpful to have had that stuff done before I was thrown into the start of school.

i took about a year off between undergrad and grad school....i dont regret it. by the time i was finished with undergrad i never wanted to see another classroom again! i needed that break and i dont regret it one bit. i worked as a residential counselor during that time and got my applications and GRE done without out any rush. it was a good choice for me.

My last day of work is this Friday, and I'm gonna take a well-deserved 3 month break till my program picks up in early August. I'm fortunate enough to have a couple vacations planned, I'm gonna work a few hours a week for my pops, other that, I plan to do nothing. That's right, NOTHING. :cool:

I'm one of those people that if I have more than a week's worth of vacation where I'm doing NOTHING (just bumming around) I start to develop major laziness and it becomes harder for me to get back to work afterward. If you're like me I would say take enough time off to do whatever it is you want to do (breathe a sigh of relief, travel, etc.) as long as you are doing -something.- Prolonged periods of vegetating really isn't good for you in the long run - I know that from personal experience. ;)

The title says it all. I am having a hard time deciding about how much time to take off. Just wanted to see if anyone had ever taken off more time than they had originally intended and regretted it? I originally told my employer that I would be done working around the end of July (I'm an RA, and they are well aware of my school situation), but I am beginning to rethink this. My only reserve is going without a paycheck for a longer duration than I had originally intended....although I also have a part-time serving job, which I would consider keeping until closer to when school will start. Or should I scrap that job all together too? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Are you moving far for your program? Like others said, I'd give myself a month for moving and setting everything up at the new place. You want to make sure your cable/Internet are in order before you start. If I didn't need the money, I would take off more than what I'm doing. Last day of work is July 30 and I only have one small vacation planned before then. Moving by the end of the first week of August and have two weeks at the new place to set everything up that I can't remotely before I start school the third week of August. I might regret not moving sooner. If you aren't especially worried about money, I would probably say a month and a half would be a good amount of time if not more.

My last day of work is this Friday, and I'm gonna take a well-deserved 3 month break till my program picks up in early August. I'm fortunate enough to have a couple vacations planned, I'm gonna work a few hours a week for my pops, other that, I plan to do nothing. That's right, NOTHING. :cool:

I'm basically in the same boat, my last day of work is in two weeks. I plan on travelling, etc., but haven't made specific plans yet and I'm started to get a little stressed trying to figure out what to do. I wanted to go to India/Thailand to follow my interest in Buddhism, but I'm not sure if going alone would be a great decision. I've already traveled in Europe a lot, so I'm thinking against that, but I may go back.

Where are you traveling with your 3 months? Perhaps you have some ideas?

I'm going to have to make a cross-country roadtrip out of my move to grad school(Providence, RI to Portland, OR) so I need to leave some time for that as well.

I'm one of those people that if I have more than a week's worth of vacation where I'm doing NOTHING (just bumming around) I start to develop major laziness and it becomes harder for me to get back to work afterward. If you're like me I would say take enough time off to do whatever it is you want to do (breathe a sigh of relief, travel, etc.) as long as you are doing -something.- Prolonged periods of vegetating really isn't good for you in the long run - I know that from personal experience. ;)

I'm sorry but this is so absurd, it made me laugh. I can tell you with absolute certaintly that doing nothing this summer will make me more focused and productive come the fall. Doing nothing is so underrated. I've worked my tail off over the last twenty years, it's going to be amazing to have no real responsibilites. To rest, read, meditate, and decompress. So don't rain on my parade. Sounds like someone is envious!

I highly recommend that you use some of your break time to move to the new area sooner than later. My colleagues and I who were here for more than a week or so before courses started had a much less stressful first month.

I'm sorry but this is so absurd, it made me laugh. I can tell you with absolute certaintly that doing nothing this summer will make me more focused and productive come the fall. Doing nothing is so underrated. I've worked my tail off over the last twenty years, it's going to be amazing to have no real responsibilites. To rest, read, meditate, and decompress. So don't rain on my parade. Sounds like someone is envious!

I dont think robinsena directed their comment to you. I think they were speaking from personal experience ("if you're like me"..."I speak from personal experience") about how doing nothing could make them lazy. I could see how some people have an easier time transition from being "on" with one thing to being "on" with another. Enjoy your three month vacation. You deserve it. We all need to prepare for grad school our own way. We all worked our tails off to prepare for this great moment. No need for name-calling.

Very helpful. Thanks for the insight. Seems the decision is pretty simple...! and it sounds like a lot of people have some great plans for the summer :)

I know you already figured it out but...

I'm taking 2 months of as well. Traveling to Europe w/my family; hanging around in my hometown for a week for family birthdays, wedding planning, family/friend time; heading down to Florida for a few days to visit my fiance's parents in their summer home; spending time in the city I've lived in for 6 years moving my stuff and saying good-bye to my friends here...

So on top of moving, that's a lot! I've heard from so many people that they regretted not taking more time off before grad school started. I'm going to enjoy it as much as possible. :) (And probably be so ready for school to start in August!)