Tall Man Syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILLchief

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being 6'5" has its pluses but I'm afraid as a dentist I will suffer terribly. Anyone with this same tall man syndrome have any advice/workouts to prevent back/neck pain during dentistry? I know deadlift is prolly the best but can't do that as my knee is still messed up from torn ACL. I sometimes feel a light pinch in the middle of my back from my full-time dental assisting job but this may be due to that my dentist is very short and lowers patients basically to the ground.

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Just buy higher chairs when u start working lol

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 5'10".....I'd be glad to trade you for short man syndrome....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Chin up variations, or barring the ability to do 10 reps at a time of those, lat pulldowns.

Rows of some sort. There's a ton of variety there so you can just find what suits you best (I personally like chest-supported rows).

Any posterior chain movement would be helpful I'm sure - hyperextensions, face pulls, good mornings and Romanian deadlifts are exercises I enjoy doing.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Dude if you're still at UofI, go to the ARC and get working on the reverse hyper-extension machine (its located in the corner by the powerlifting platforms - where no one ever goes, which is a shame because the glute-ham/reverse hyper in that corner are probably the best machines in that gym).

Why it's the best:
  • Dynamic strength development on the concentric phase = super strong back. You'd be surprised how weak you are with these initially.
  • Rehabilitation during the eccentric phase via depressurization- spinal column becomes filled with spinal fluid and the lower back muscles with blood (nutrients) = healthy back.
Man I miss that machine...:cryi:

Right now I'm forced to do normal hyperextentions (won't get the decompression of reverse), but if you want to make it harder, add bands (superior to holding weight in my opinion).

Don't forget to work on your core strength as well.
Hah I'm not there anymore but I know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks for the tip man!

No, but I have short woman syndrome. :D

Reactions: 3 users
I feel your pain! Granted, I love being 6'6 and I would not change it for anything!! Since you have a bad ACL I recommend a LOT of core work. Planks, ab work, superman's, and you could do RDL (Romanian Dead Lift) because it does not put stress on your knee.

I'm 5'8'', at least one good thing can come from it, from what your saying

Are you on the slimmer side??? Where do you buy 34w36 length pants??? If you know the answer please let me know! Men's big and tall are generally for horizontally big people...

lat exercises target the upper back. What you need are CORE exercises. That means lower back, abs, and obliques.

Lower back- hyperextensions on a bench, bridges, supermans. Squats are good but it looks like your knee is messed up.

abs- crunches, planks, leg raises

obliques- side planks, side leg raises on bar.

you can start with bodyweight and add weights, like putting plate on your back for planks, on your belly for bridges, holding a dumbbell for hyperextensions, etc.

EDIT- I also like to decompress my spine. If you have access to a hang bar just hang there, its great for your back. If not, spend some time daily laying flat on the ground. It keeps it in neutral position.

Dude if you're still at UofI, go to the ARC and get working on the reverse hyper-extension machine (its located in the corner by the powerlifting platforms - where no one ever goes, which is a shame because the glute-ham/reverse hyper in that corner are probably the best machines in that gym).

Why it's the best:
  • Dynamic strength development on the concentric phase = super strong back. You'd be surprised how weak you are with these initially.
  • Rehabilitation during the eccentric phase via depressurization- spinal column becomes filled with spinal fluid and the lower back muscles with blood (nutrients) = healthy back.
Man I miss that machine...:cryi:

Right now I'm forced to do normal hyperextentions (won't get the decompression of reverse), but if you want to make it harder, add bands (superior to holding weight in my opinion).

Don't forget to work on your core strength as well.
I-L-L!

Reactions: 2 users
Oh and 2 more things.... first don't do exercises every day. You need recovery time, esp if you are doing them weighted. I train a body part twice a week max.

Also you need good form. I know this is generic advice, but especially with core exercises form is critical. You do not want back injuries from bad form. Like if you're doing planks you need to make sure your body is flat, or bent upward very slightly. If you sag (bend downward), you'll put a lot of pressure on your lumbar spine, and that can cause a herniation.

Are you on the slimmer side??? Where do you buy 34w36 length pants??? If you know the answer please let me know! Men's big and tall are generally for horizontally big people...
yea 6'5'' 200lbs. seriously can't find pants long enough. biggest tragedy of my life... maybe @Meat Gyver can hook us up with a price deal on custom clothing haha

In addition to strengthening, stretching on those workout balls or that machine that hangs you upside down If you've got the space, feels amazing.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Haha. This thread speaks to me. 6' 2" and I just recently been diagnosed with slight scoliosis. Back pain is a huge concern and I'll be starting physical therapy soon.

Haha I wish I was skilled enough to make my own clothes. But check out selfedge or blueingreen. They carry a bunch of brands with extremely long inseams (even someone your height might have to have them hemmed). I had to pick up a few extra shifts at work to afford a pair, but after the buyers remorse dissipates, you realize it's a good investment. I've had my pair for over 3 years now, and they keep chugging along and get better looking with age. But I will admit the prices are pretty crazy.
checking these sites out right now and i will definitely be purchasing a couple pairs. they look great and most importantly they will be long enough. this is a miracle! thanks for the tip

Haha I wish I was skilled enough to make my own clothes. But check out selfedge or blueingreen. They carry a bunch of brands with extremely long inseams (even someone your height might have to have them hemmed). I had to pick up a few extra shifts at work to afford a pair, but after the buyers remorse dissipates, you realize it's a good investment. I've had my pair for over 3 years now, and they keep chugging along and get better looking with age. But I will admit the prices are pretty crazy.

For $625, these classic beauties can be yours:
http://blueingreensoho.com/site/ind...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

:laugh:

On a serious note, I'm all about some nice, long-lasting, expensive jeans.

Anyone have thoughts on True Religion jeans? My boyfriend says his are very comfortable... but it's hard to find ones that are "subtle" and aren't all 'blinged out,' for lack of a more PC description. He is a 30-32 in the waist, but not super tall (5'10ish). I'm not sure if they offer them with super long inseams.

Don't normal stores have pants that go up to 36 inseam? I swear I've seen that number when shopping for pants with my BF.

ETA: I just went on the Levi's website and they definitely have pants available in 34x36 and 34x38 even.

Being 6'5" has its pluses but I'm afraid as a dentist I will suffer terribly. Anyone with this same tall man syndrome have any advice/workouts to prevent back/neck pain during dentistry? I know deadlift is prolly the best but can't do that as my knee is still messed up from torn ACL. I sometimes feel a light pinch in the middle of my back from my full-time dental assisting job but this may be due to that my dentist is very short and lowers patients basically to the ground.

Thanks all!
Geez, most people would love to be in your (giant) shoes! Lol

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/ind...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

Anyone have thoughts on True Religion jeans? My boyfriend says his are very comfortable... but it's hard to find ones that are "subtle" and aren't all 'blinged out,' for lack of a more PC description. He is a 30-32 in the waist, but not super tall (5'10ish). I'm not sure if they offer them with super long inseams.
Who would seriously spend $625 on a pair of jeans?!! I could buy a horse for that!

The store Buckle has a great variety of awesome jeans! You will surely be able to find some that you like! Rock Revival are my favorite pair of jeans I've ever owned, but they do have a lot of intricate leather design and stitching on them. BKE jeans are a little more subtle, but are still g.eat quality! Oh, and a lot of their jeans come in longer lengths, and then they hem them for free at the store.

The store Buckle has a great variety of awesome jeans! You will surely be able to find some that you like! Rock Revival are my favorite pair of jeans I've ever owned, but they do have a lot of intricate leather design and stitching on them. BKE jeans are a little more subtle, but are still g.eat quality! Oh, and a lot of their jeans come in longer lengths, and then they hem them for free at the store.

I wear Buckle jeans almost exclusively for myself... But they aren't quite my boyfriend's style. :D I do love my Rocks!

you can't get 34w 36l at regular department stores but you can find them online in specific fits (mostly original)
levis/dockers will definitely have 34w and 36l but my husband is on the slimmer side so the pants usually look big on him
then I take the pants to a tailor/alterations to pull it in and by the end of it all, buying new pants for my husband costs about 60-100 due to shipping expenses and alterations

I wear Buckle jeans almost exclusively for myself... But they aren't quite my boyfriend's style. :D I do love my Rocks!

My favorite pairs are True Religion and Sevens because of their comfort and style. The other pairs that I used to wear a lot were Rock & Republic, but their company were bankrupted.