Texas A&M c/o 2019 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats. you are done with GRE. I'm taking the test on Aug 16. Very worried.
It's not that bad. Just breath and manage your time. If you get stuck mark the question and move on. It gives you a chance to review before you leave section if time is still available. Answer all the questions.

On verbal reading sections I read answers first and then the passage. It helped me to know what I was looking for in the reading sections.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you waive your right to access the letter of recommendation? Will the answer Yes or No affect the selection score?

I was told to waive access. This was straight from an AdCom member's mouth. That could have been her preference and my decision probably wouldn't have affected my getting in, but I wasn't about to take any chances! I trusted all of my LOR writers, so it didn't bother me giving up the chance to read what was written.

I noticed Texas A&M changed their course requirements? I'm an incoming freshman at A&M, and at orientation, I went to a professional school meeting for all the pre-meds, pre-dents, and pre-vets. I picked up a pre-req chart with all the classes (and alternatives) I needed to take before applying to vet school. The chart says I need 5 lecture hours of Biochemistry, but I checked their website, and it says they want 3 now. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed Texas A&M changed their course requirements? I'm an incoming freshman at A&M, and at orientation, I went to a professional school meeting for all the pre-meds, pre-dents, and pre-vets. I picked up a pre-req chart with all the classes (and alternatives) I needed to take before applying to vet school. The chart says I need 5 lecture hours of Biochemistry, but I checked their website, and it says they want 3 now. :eek:

Yes, you lucky little ducks. You also get to take a lower-lever Micro class. Though, depending on your major, you may still have to take one of the upper division courses.

Reactions: 1 user
No way! I thought it was a mistake. :oops: Yeah, I still have to take the upper level Microbiology though.

I'm a Biochemistry major and it says that BICH 410 & 411 is not open for my major... :arghh: I was going to email either my advisor or the vet school itself to see what I should do, but I thought it'll be better if I waited till school started. I'm supposed to be taking BICH 440 my junior year, which is Biochemistry I for Honors, Biochemistry majors, and Genetics majors. However, it's NOT lecture hours.

This probably the wrong thread to be asking this, but what do I do? I was looking at some statistics on the opsa website, and there was an aggie who majored in Biochemistry as well and made it in, so I know it's possible. I just don't know how. :sour:

I would just ask the department and let them know your situation. I had to be forced into Anatomy since I wasn't a BIMS major and I didn't even need Anatomy to get into vet school.

Seriously??? Yes!! I am sooooo dropping adv biochem this fall

I would just ask the department and let them know your situation. I had to be forced into Anatomy since I wasn't a BIMS major and I didn't even need Anatomy to get into vet school.
Okay cool, thanks! :)

I was BIMS and thought anyone who wasn't and optionally took that class or the BIMS micro was crazy haha

Not saying I'm not crazy, but I needed it for my major. :3 I did not, however, subject myself to Scanlan.

Yeah!! Only 3 hours required for biochemistry now. I guess it is good news for many of us. (Including me :p)

I needed biochem for my major as well, and enjoyed I the second semester much more than the first! I am glad they dropped the literature requirement and replaced it with psychology. That seems much more useful in the profession than 19th century drivel. :)

Here is a question that I may or may not be over thinking pertaining to evaluations. I will definitely be asking the veterinarian I have worked for the last 10 months for an evaluation. However, my issue starts with the other two.

Should I ask a veterinarian I spent almost 6 months volunteering for a year ago? I think the answer is yes, but I'm hesitating because she hasn't seen how much progress I have made over the last year. I have kept in touch with her here and there, but I'm still terrified to ask her :| So I guess I know I need to suck it up and ask her already. She lives in another town, so is email acceptable?

The third evaluation poses an issue because I have no idea who to ask. I could ask a professor, but he has never seen me working with animals, and I feel like he would need to have observed that to be able to write a decent evaluation. I have volunteered at an equine hospital and an emergency/specialty hospital for a short period of time, however I don't feel close enough with any of the veterinarians to ask them to fill out an eval. I'm sort of obsessing about the issue rather than resolving the issue by just asking and seeing what people say, so maybe one of you guys can make it sound less terrifying?

I am a giant ball of nerves right now, and it's a miracle I have any nails left at all:boom: :help:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody, just checking in to see where everyone is in the application...and I am wondering if anyone has heard back about prerequisite evals...I sent one in for statistics and have yet to hear back if they'll count it or not. Does anyone have experience with getting those taken care of?

Good luck y'all!

Hey everybody, just checking in to see where everyone is in the application...and I am wondering if anyone has heard back about prerequisite evals...I sent one in for statistics and have yet to hear back if they'll count it or not. Does anyone have experience with getting those taken care of?

Good luck y'all!

Hey! I have--if you haven't heard back in over a week or so, I would call them and ask about the status of your request. They might be waiting on approval from their stats prof or something, but can't hurt to check!

I have questions about prerequisite classes too.
I already took Animal Feeds and Feeding at Texas A&M at Commerce but I don't see this course on the equivalent courses page. From the Contact Us, I can only email them. I email Les Fiechtner last week and no response. So today I email the second person on the list (Yolanda Brinkman).

Does anyone know the phone number to call at TAMU?

I was told to waive access. This was straight from an AdCom member's mouth. That could have been her preference and my decision probably wouldn't have affected my getting in, but I wasn't about to take any chances! I trusted all of my LOR writers, so it didn't bother me giving up the chance to read what was written.

Even if you choose to not waive your rights to see the LOR's, you can only view them if you have been accepted. At that point, does it really matter what they wrote?

Ok, Yolanda Brinkman replied to my email about pre-req question pretty quick. (less than an hour).

Even if you choose to not waive your rights to see the LOR's, you can only view them if you have been accepted. At that point, does it really matter what they wrote?
I waive my right anyway. I feel that it's better not to know what they write :)

I waive my right anyway. I feel that it's better not to know what they write :)

Yeah, I always waived my right. My thinking was, it really did not matter to me to be able to see them after I had been accepted. The benefit for me of seeing them would be if I were not accepted so that I could see how strong the letter was, but you can't see them for that reason. So I waived my rights. Luckily, most schools are fairly good in file reviews about telling you if your LOR's are strong or not. :)

Yeah, I always waived my right. My thinking was, it really did not matter to me to be able to see them after I had been accepted. The benefit for me of seeing them would be if I were not accepted so that I could see how strong the letter was, but you can't see them for that reason. So I waived my rights. Luckily, most schools are fairly good in file reviews about telling you if your LOR's are strong or not. :)

Besides, while I know people don't always follow your predictions, if you're worried about what someone may write you probably shouldn't ask them.

Here is a question that I may or may not be over thinking pertaining to evaluations. I will definitely be asking the veterinarian I have worked for the last 10 months for an evaluation. However, my issue starts with the other two.

Should I ask a veterinarian I spent almost 6 months volunteering for a year ago? I think the answer is yes, but I'm hesitating because she hasn't seen how much progress I have made over the last year. I have kept in touch with her here and there, but I'm still terrified to ask her :| So I guess I know I need to suck it up and ask her already. She lives in another town, so is email acceptable?

The third evaluation poses an issue because I have no idea who to ask. I could ask a professor, but he has never seen me working with animals, and I feel like he would need to have observed that to be able to write a decent evaluation. I have volunteered at an equine hospital and an emergency/specialty hospital for a short period of time, however I don't feel close enough with any of the veterinarians to ask them to fill out an eval. I'm sort of obsessing about the issue rather than resolving the issue by just asking and seeing what people say, so maybe one of you guys can make it sound less terrifying?

I am a giant ball of nerves right now, and it's a miracle I have any nails left at all:boom: :help:
Have you got your LOR issue resolved? Today, I just gave the evaluation form to the veterinarian that I volunteered at his clinic 2 years ago. First I was worried what he would say about me. But now I kinda let go. Whatever he write is whatever I get.

Have you got your LOR issue resolved? Today, I just gave the evaluation form to the veterinarian that I volunteered at his clinic 2 years ago. First I was worried what he would say about me. But now I kinda let go. Whatever he write is whatever I get.

I asked three people and received three yes's, but I'm still nervous about it. I sent out the evaluation emails through TMDSAS over the weekend, so we shall see what happens! I ended up asking the veterinarian I first worked with and my ochem 1 prof. I think that they have positive things to say, but a part of me is still worried that it won't be "positive enough". So I suppose I am at a point where you are, what they write is what they write, and I have to accept that I won't know.

Now I have more time to obsess/panic over the essays :| Thanks for responding though!

How are the essays going for everyone?

I asked three people and received three yes's, but I'm still nervous about it. I sent out the evaluation emails through TMDSAS over the weekend, so we shall see what happens! I ended up asking the veterinarian I first worked with and my ochem 1 prof. I think that they have positive things to say, but a part of me is still worried that it won't be "positive enough". So I suppose I am at a point where you are, what they write is what they write, and I have to accept that I won't know.

Now I have more time to obsess/panic over the essays :| Thanks for responding though!

How are the essays going for everyone?

SPEAKING of the essays...so when I was writing mine based on some samples and successful applicants' advice, I addressed more ""what makes you a good candidate" than "why you want to be a vet.," because I was thinking that would be most relevant to the adcoms, but now I'm concerned I'm not addressing the prompt. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Are y'all writing why you want to be a vet or what would make you a good vet? Also, and successful TAMU applicants from past years, your advice/how you approached the prompt would be most appreciated!!

SPEAKING of the essays...so when I was writing mine based on some samples and successful applicants' advice, I addressed more ""what makes you a good candidate" than "why you want to be a vet.," because I was thinking that would be most relevant to the adcoms, but now I'm concerned I'm not addressing the prompt. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Are y'all writing why you want to be a vet or what would make you a good vet? Also, and successful TAMU applicants from past years, your advice/how you approached the prompt would be most appreciated!!

I feel like mine addressed both. Assuming you're talking about the first required prompt (unless it's changed) I just used the same personal statement I submitted with my VMCAS, and then wrote the two optional essays.

I feel like mine addressed both.

Ditto. I discussed my journey to vet med, then how I felt my experiences, education, and personal traits would make me an asset to the field. I also touched on how I would contribute to the profession.

I was told that the personal statement should show that you understand what you're getting into (vet med isn't all cute puppies & kittens), and they'd like to see that you have a support system for when things get tough, because they will (ie family, friends, SO). It's also a way for the adcomm's to assess "soft skills" such as empathy, compassion, etc., whereas the rest of the app was for the hard facts such as gpa and other accolades. That doesn't mean you can't include something really awesome that you did in your PS that you also had in the application, but you need to write it in a way to make it personal to the reader, so they can get involved too.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm trying to take a unique approach in talking about research since that's what I want to do, but I wonder if I should speak more to the profession generally than what I want to specialize in specifically. And that's so interesting about the support system! I never even thought of that, but it makes sense that they would want to know you'll be able to stick it out. Guess I have yet more revisions to do... :S

So I'm a re-applicant (I interviewed last year, and alas that is what tanked my application) but my question is also pertaining to evaluators. So recently I left a job where the veterinarian I worked for was, to be nice, less than stellar. I ended up leaving that job at the end of June so I doubt she'd be willing to write me a supportive letter of recommendation. However I worked there for over a year so that's where a lot of my experience comes from. I plan on asking the vet that I don't have as much experience with hours-wise, but has known me now for a little over 3 years. I'm just worried that having so many hours at one clinic, and not having a letter from that veterinarian may hurt/go against me. I don't want to short my application though because despite the fact that she was a horrible boss, I did gain a lot of experience I didn't have before. Maybe I'm overthinking, but I really want to get the chance to interview again like I did last year.

Last edited:
So I'm a re-applicant (I interviewed last year, and alas that is what tanked my application) but my question is also pertaining to evaluators. So recently I left a job where the veterinarian I worked for was, to be nice, less than stellar. I ended up leaving that job at the end of June so I doubt she'd be willing to write me a supportive letter of recommendation. However I worked there for over a year so that's where a lot of my experience comes from. I plan on asking the vet that I don't have as much experience with hours-wise, but has known me now for a little over 3 years. I'm just worried that having so many hours at one clinic, and not having a letter from that veterinarian may hurt/go against me. I don't want to short my application though because despite the fact that she was a horrible boss, I did gain a lot of experience I didn't have before. Maybe I'm overthinking, but I really want to get the chance to interview again like I did last year.
I recommend reading the questions on the LoR and seeing whether you feel comfortable having the vet you've known longer, or the vet you've got more hours with, write the letter based on the prompts. I asked one vet that I worked with currently, one that had been my boss 5 years previously (but I maintained a good relationship with), and my ochem 1/2 prof. Granted, I don't remember the questions/didn't really look at them/they may have changed, but I don't think they ask the person to number the hours they spend with you so much as give an overview of who you are as a person and vet applicant.

Just popping in to say hello to my future colleagues!

If anyone is struggling as much as I am with the essay portion, I wanted to suggest perhaps starting with the smaller essays first. I tried and tried and TRIED to write my personal statement first, but I made the mistake of over writing in an attempt to fill what I thought was a 5,000 WORD maximum. Sad day for me, the maximum is 5,000 characters including spaces, so I had a lot of trimming up to do. I ended up having a way easier time writing the optional essays, and my hope is that my mind will be freed up for the personal statement.

Anywho, I hope everyone is chugging along and doing well!
Tata!:cat:

I'm struggling with both essay and GRE. I did miserable on Verbal reasoning. Now really scared not to get invite for interview. :(
Just venting the stress.

Don't stress too much! I know, easier said than done. If someone told me not to stress, I'd stress that I was stressing too much :bear:

Thankfully for you, the quant and analytical writing are weighed more heavily than the verbal section, so YAY!

As for the essay.. I'm struggling too. Working on the same essays for 3+ months is enough to make anyone go crazy. I'm currently taking a break from looking at it. I return to it tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Good luck to you!

Thank you. Good luck to you too.
I started essay 2 months ago but keep dragging and not much progress. Now I'm taking a break from GRE (studying for 2nd time test next month).
So I'm getting back to essay. I'm gonna force myself to finish the first draft this week. sigh...

How's the draft going? I'm in procrastination mode.

Not great but I'm pushing it to be done this weekend. I know I will have a lot of review and revise. I postponed it for 2 months when I was trying to deal with GRE. That was not going great neither. Thank you for asking. Hope you finish your PS soon too. Good luck.

Hey guys! Hope apps have been treating you well. I had a question about the stats requirement. They said it has to be upper div but there were NO upper div stats at UCSD, just a really hard lower div class :/

Hmm sounds like a question to call admissions about. I had to call to ask if the speech class I had taken counted since it wasn't listed on the tamu vet med website. Luckily for me, they said it counted! But the worry wart in me wants to call again just to double check..

Has anyone completed their application and then had a change in your planned coursework because of a class cancellation something like that? Also, filling out planned courses for next year is freaking me out....there's no guarantee I'll get into those courses. Just curious, did you all put planned courses or not?

Has anyone completed their application and then had a change in your planned coursework because of a class cancellation something like that? Also, filling out planned courses for next year is freaking me out....there's no guarantee I'll get into those courses. Just curious, did you all put planned courses or not?

My listed planned courses ended up being quite different from what I took. Heck I think I said I was going to finish my degree. I don't think it matters hugely as long as you have plans to get all the required classes done

Hey everyone! Is anyone else getting to the point where they are tempted by the chronology button, and simultaneously terrified? I'm almost ready to call it done, but I don't want to hit that button... Will I still be able to edit things like the essays or Planned Activities?

:nailbiting:

Hey everyone! Is anyone else getting to the point where they are tempted by the chronology button, and simultaneously terrified? I'm almost ready to call it done, but I don't want to hit that button... Will I still be able to edit things like the essays or Planned Activities?

:nailbiting:

I think you can edit, but you have to go back in and manually add things to your chronology once you "hit the button." I'm right there with you, wanted to submit early September but not ready to relinquish my control of the process...!

Per the TMDSAS website:
"Your Chronology of Activities will be automatically built from the information you enter in all other sections of the application. This is done for your convenience; therefore, it is to your advantage to complete all other sections before completing this section. The compiling of this data will be done only once – if you delete or change items in other sections after your Chronology is compiled, you will have to retype that information in your Chronology – you cannot re-import the data.

You can edit or delete items from the Chronology – doing so will not change what you have entered elsewhere in the application.

You will be able to add records to fill any gaps in time."

https://www.tmdsas.com/veterinary/section_Overview.html#Chronology

Also...I think you can edit essays anytime before you submit, same with planned activites.
Again, TMDSAS:
"You are able to make changes to the following sections yourself by logging back on to the application: Contact Info, Colleges Attended, College Coursework, Planned Enrollment, My Account and Test Scores."

I hit the button last night, and I was relieved of suspense. I read what you quoted on TMDSAS before posting here, but sometimes it's hard to believe things even when they are explicitly stated just because of nerves. The world didn't end when I pushed the button, so that's a relief!

Like you said, I don't want to give up what control I have over my application, but I'm also almost to the point where I want to submit it just to be done with it.
Must. Edit. Everything. One. Last. Time.

AHHH. Just submitted (well technically a few hours ago....).

Just waiting on LORs now...two of mine said they never recieved the email so I had to do print copies...now I have to wait on snail mail...grrrrr.

Where is everyone else in the process? I feel like I'm super late to the party, submitting in September.

Also has anyone sent in the supplemental processing fee? I feel weird just putting a check in an envelope, but that's the only instruction I can find...

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't submitted it yet. My essay is being reviewed (for English correction and content flow). I still have one more LOR left and GRE on Sep 26 (2nd time).
Do I have to wait till I submit TMDSAS app before I can submit supplemental application? I wrote the check and it's ready in the envelop but I'm not sure if I should mail it out before I submit the application.

Supplemental Application Help! Ok so I was working on my application this evening and my computer *( Windows Surface) froze and when I clicked update under my dog experience it's like I was taken to another page... There were explanations listed that I did not type and so I clicked on new account to get back to the animal experience part of the application and all of my. Dog experience was erased. Has this happened to any of you? I'm stressing out not only because all of my dog experience is gone (including the column/table/box to even type it in to), but because I somehow jumped to someone else's supplemental. I e-mailed admins, but I was wondering if any of you had experienced something similar?

Last edited:
Supplemental Application Help! Ok so I was working on my application this evening and my computer *( Windows Surface) froze and when I clicked update under my dog experience it's like I was taken to someone else's application. There were explanations listed that I did not type and so I clicked on new account to get back to my own application and all of my. Dog experience was erased. Has this happened to any of you? I'm stressing out not only because all of my dog experience is gone (including the column/table/box to even type it in to), but because I somehow jumped to someone else's supplemental. I e-mailed admins, but I was wondering if any of you had experienced something similar?

Eep! I haven't had anything like that happen to me as of now, but I still have to go back into the supplemental app to tweak some things. I'll be on the lookout for issues now. Hopefully the admins will help get you straightened out!

Eep! I haven't had anything like that happen to me as of now, but I still have to go back into the supplemental app to tweak some things. I'll be on the lookout for issues now. Hopefully the admins will help get you straightened out!

Haven't seen anything like that either, but I do know the supp. app page to be a bit wonky. Goes back and forth between the CVM main pages and a differently-formatted other collection of pages, depending on what link you click. Hope you got it all worked out! Nothing like last minute technical issues to make you more stressed than ever :/

Supplemental Application Help! Ok so I was working on my application this evening and my computer *( Windows Surface) froze and when I clicked update under my dog experience it's like I was taken to another page... There were explanations listed that I did not type and so I clicked on new account to get back to the animal experience part of the application and all of my. Dog experience was erased. Has this happened to any of you? I'm stressing out not only because all of my dog experience is gone (including the column/table/box to even type it in to), but because I somehow jumped to someone else's supplemental. I e-mailed admins, but I was wondering if any of you had experienced something similar?
Is everything ok now? Are you able to submit the supplemental app? I did mine last night.

Way behind on the process guys!! Trying to breatheeee lol!! I have a couple Q's! On the coursework, the credit hours...is that your grade score times your units? So like if a class was 4.0 semester units, and I got an A-...that would be (4.0)(3.7)= 14.8 ? Like how you do it on VMCAS? Im confused.... please help!!