Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing? Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Patience is a virtue. :) Hang in there guys. You will find out before you know it and you'll be almost a 4th year before you know it too. Best of luck SDN-ers!:luck:

check your emails!!! I just received my acceptance!!!!!

I got an acceptance email too! I will be declining my offer, but good luck to you all!

Would one of you who have been accepted mind sharing your stats?

I've had several interviews but haven't had an offer yet and am discouraged. I am considering retaking the PCAT and enrolling some upper division courses, like Biochem, to show that I can handle the load, and try again next year. I don't want to give up!

My composite PCAT was a 74. My GPA is strong 3.8, but all of my Pharmacy prerequisite courses were from a community college and I'm wondering if that has hurt my application somehow.

Congrats guys! For those of you who didn't get in today.. don't lose hope! I was waitlisted and didn't receive an acceptance phone call until late May! Some were sent even in June/July.

I took the majority of my courses at a community college..no shame in that at all pharmerjo. Your stats are good.. PCAT scores are definitely not an indicator of how well you do in pharmacy school, it's all about your motivation. good luck

Congrats guys! For those of you who didn't get in today.. don't lose hope! I was waitlisted and didn't receive an acceptance phone call until late May! Some were sent even in June/July.

I took the majority of my courses at a community college..no shame in that at all pharmerjo. Your stats are good.. PCAT scores are definitely not an indicator of how well you do in pharmacy school, it's all about your motivation. good luck

Thank you so much for the encouragement. Stay strong 2017 hopefuls!

Long time lurker here! First off, congrats to the entering class! For those of you still waiting, don't give up hope. I actually had an interview around March. So, for those that haven't had the opportunity at an interview, there may be hope. =)

Also, you all might want to start a Facebook group page so you all can get to know one another.

Good-luck to the rest of you all! Any questions, feel free to ask.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
:DI'm in!! I'm beyond happy. I can't wait to meet yall.:D

Congrats to those who were accepted today!! For those who haven't PLEASE don't lose hope yet!!! :thumbup: I didn't get that first wave of emails 3 years ago and got a phone call. :) Don't worry so much about PCAT scores and GPAs. Like ahimsel said, PCAT scores aren't indicative of how well you will do in pharmacy school, and our school knows that. If you don't get in this year, just keep trying if this is what you really want. Everything happens for a reason. I was not accepted the first year I applied and here I am. Don't get discouraged and keep trying for your dreams. :)

Does anyone know how many people decline on average? Also, does A&M tell you what number you are on the waiting list? Trying to keep some hope up.

I got an acceptance today as well, and will most likely decline. Good luck to everyone!!! :)

Oo my bad! I meant i got the email

uh, I got over excited about the package I guess. It's likely I'll have to turn it down, but somehow I keep longing to be there someday; maybe the mentality and hospitality of A&M got into me. :love:

Would anyone know if "all" the "first wave" emails are supposed to go out today?

Last edited:
uh, I got over excited about the package I guess. It's likely I'll have to turn it down, but somehow I keep longing to be there someday; maybe the mentality and hospitality of A&M got into me. :love:

You're turning down A&M :( for what other school?

I really wanted an acceptance from TX A&M today. :(

When I called today, they said a second batch would be going out in two weeks depending on
The # of seats available?

Most likely UTAustin. Ah, it's a small world. I believe that I'll be at A&M some day, somehow. Maybe after graduating. :D

Congratulations! How wonderful for you to have a choice! Good luck and enjoy the ride.

I wanted to get an email from A&M but didnt receive any in the first wave!! Hope for the second! :(

I wanted to get an email from A&M but didnt receive any in the first wave!! Hope for the second! :(

Don't lose hope! Second round of acceptance letters should be going out sometime after the 22nd of March.

Wow. It would be really unfortunate (in a sense) if the second wave of letters came out "after" (or a day or two before) March 22nd because, I have to make a decision with the Feik School of Pharmacy by then. I really want to go to TX A & M though!

Wow. It would be really unfortunate (in a sense) if the second wave of letters came out "after" (or a day or two before) March 22nd because, I have to make a decision with the Feik School of Pharmacy by then. I really want to go to TX A & M though!

From what I hear, it happens all the time where people will let their deposits go at one program if their first choice comes through at the last moment.

Wait, is it possible to accept an offer at one college but then decline later on to be accepted into another college?

Got my packet in the mail!

Wait, is it possible to accept an offer at one college but then decline later on to be accepted into another college?

Very possible. I did it 2 years ago. Was first accepted to TX Tech then received an interview invite for A&M the very next day. I really wanted to attend A&M so I accepted the interview invite. Went to the interview and fell in love with the school :love: and received an acceptance one week later. I felt bad about informing TX Tech that I had changed my mind about attending their school but I felt A&M was a better fit for me.

Hi Everyone! I'm currently trying to decide between A&M and Incarnate Word. I seriously loved both schools, faculty, and atmosphere. I do like the fact that UIW has a Spanish certification program; does A&M have something similar? I'm from San Antonio but I don't mind making the move to Kingsville. What do current A&M Kingsville students love most about the school? Also, is it true some lectures are given by long-distance faculty (meaning leactures are transmitted electronically)? Lastly, I'm curious to know how much current students pay per year to attend the school (tuition, books, living expenses, sanity pills :p included). I was told by a recent pharmacy school UIW graduate that after consolidating her loans she owed $200,000 and through her payment plan she would eventually end up paying close to $500,000 after interest was factored in. That price tag blew my mind! �� Any feed back/ advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! I'm currently trying to decide between A&M and Incarnate Word. I seriously loved both schools, faculty, and atmosphere. I do like the fact that UIW has a Spanish certification program; does A&M have something similar? I'm from San Antonio but I don't mind making the move to Kingsville. What do current A&M Kingsville students love most about the school? Also, is it true some lectures are given by long-distance faculty (meaning leactures are transmitted electronically)? Lastly, I'm curious to know how much current students pay per year to attend the school (tuition, books, living expenses, sanity pills :p included). I was told by a recent pharmacy school UIW graduate that after consolidating her loans she owed $200,000 and through her payment plan she would eventually end up paying close to $500,000 after interest was factored in. That price tag blew my mind! �� Any feed back/ advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

I would be in the same delimma if I get accepted to Texas A&M but I don't think with interest it would add up to 500,000. That just sounds way too high. I might be wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Very possible. I did it 2 years ago. Was first accepted to TX Tech then received an interview invite for A&M the very next day. I really wanted to attend A&M so I accepted the interview invite. Went to the interview and fell in love with the school :love: and received an acceptance one week later. I felt bad about informing TX Tech that I had changed my mind about attending their school but I felt A&M was a better fit for me.

Thanks so much for the verification!!! That relieved me of a lot of stress.

Congratulations to everyone who got in!!

If you didn't get one, don't feel down yet! Just hang in there!! and Good Luck!

I was accepted too, and I have some questions that I was hoping some of you might be able to clarify.
Are there any merit based scholarships that the school gives? I'm not talking about $1000 or $2000 scholarships, I am talking about like half or full tuition scholarships (I know that some schools do this, that's why I ask).
How do A&M's students do with clinical residency matching? Is there a percent on how many people generally apply, and how many people get matched? Also, do most students end up in retail here?

Yes, sometimes lectures are given electronically, but it's not like it's every day. The technology has definitely gotten better since I was a P1. You can still ask them questions over the mics at each desk, just like you would if they were there. Also, they do try their best to come to lecture in person as often as possible. The ones that do this are clinical pharmacists and have their responsibilities at their job and to the P4s they are also preceptoring.

Here is a link to the cost of attendance at our COP. http://www.tamhsc.edu/education/finaid/forms1/cost-of-attendance/college-of-pharmacy-coa.html
I may not be the best to comment on this, as my husband works, so I do not take out as many loans as some do. However, I do not believe it is anywhere near the cost of UIW. Also, cost of living in Kingsville is dramatically lower than living in San Antonio and you get a just as good, if not better, education at TAMU. (We're up there already tied with UoH in rankings after graduating only 3 classes.) We are one of the least expensive school in Texas, for sure.

I love our school and would do it again if I had the option. I love the people (the students, faculty, staff alike.) They care so much about us and our success. The students here become very close because there isn't a whole ton to do in Kingsville other than study and hang out with each other. My fellow classmates have definitely made 3 years in Kingsville worth it.

I was accepted too, and I have some questions that I was hoping some of you might be able to clarify.
Are there any merit based scholarships that the school gives? I'm not talking about $1000 or $2000 scholarships, I am talking about like half or full tuition scholarships (I know that some schools do this, that's why I ask).
How do A&M's students do with clinical residency matching? Is there a percent on how many people generally apply, and how many people get matched? Also, do most students end up in retail here?

I know you said you don't mean $1,000-$2,000 scholarships, but here is a link to some our school offers. http://pharmacy.tamhsc.edu/prospective/scholarships.html
Also, there is a disadvantaged student scholarship that our school gives out every year. It's around $4,000 a year. They will send out an application over the summer/beginning of the year. Our school has been guaranteed $650,000 every year through 2016 to give out to students for this scholarship. (It will be eligible for renewal in 2016.) Also, you could be eligible for scholarships through some student organizations on campus as well. All these scholarships can really add up.

As far as residency matching goes, I know our school fairs pretty well. I believe someone mentioned that last year's class had 10/12 applicants match and I KNOW this is increasing every year. I know my class (2014) has a great deal of people interested in residencies. I believe our program prepares you very well for this and if that's what you set your mind to, it's all up to you. I would recommend joining SSHP if you are interested in a residency when you come to school here. They are geared towards helping students down that path, as well as the faculty being an excellent resource. A lot of student EVERYWHERE I believe end up retail. There just aren't enough residencies for pharmacy out there yet. If you want a residency and keep your mind set on that from day 1, I believe you stand a very good chance by coming to TAMU.

I hope this answers some questions. Other students, feel free to chime in/correct me!

I would be in the same delimma if I get accepted to Texas A&M but I don't think with interest it would add up to 500,000. That just sounds way too high. I might be wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Well according to the pharmacist filling in for the day at the pharmacy I work she said that if she followed the recommended 20 year pay back plan it would ultimately amount to $500,000. I thought she was playing around with me but she said she was completely serious. Just to provide some context she was from San Antonio but did not live at home during those 4 years so that also added to her costs. She also did not work during her time in pharmacy school. She graduated this past May and warned me about the high cost of attending UIW. I knew it was quite a bit but that price tag really took me by suprise. Of course things are cheaper if you have a working spouse or plan to live at home. Everyone's situation is different but this just happened to be her experience.

Yes, sometimes lectures are given electronically, but it's not like it's every day. The technology has definitely gotten better since I was a P1. You can still ask them questions over the mics at each desk, just like you would if they were there. Also, they do try their best to come to lecture in person as often as possible. The ones that do this are clinical pharmacists and have their responsibilities at their job and to the P4s they are also preceptoring.

Here is a link to the cost of attendance at our COP. http://www.tamhsc.edu/education/finaid/forms1/cost-of-attendance/college-of-pharmacy-coa.html
I may not be the best to comment on this, as my husband works, so I do not take out as many loans as some do. However, I do not believe it is anywhere near the cost of UIW. Also, cost of living in Kingsville is dramatically lower than living in San Antonio and you get a just as good, if not better, education at TAMU. (We're up there already tied with UoH in rankings after graduating only 3 classes.) We are one of the least expensive school in Texas, for sure.

I love our school and would do it again if I had the option. I love the people (the students, faculty, staff alike.) They care so much about us and our success. The students here become very close because there isn't a whole ton to do in Kingsville other than study and hang out with each other. My fellow classmates have definitely made 3 years in Kingsville worth it.

I know you said you don't mean $1,000-$2,000 scholarships, but here is a link to some our school offers. http://pharmacy.tamhsc.edu/prospective/scholarships.html
Also, there is a disadvantaged student scholarship that our school gives out every year. It's around $4,000 a year. They will send out an application over the summer/beginning of the year. Our school has been guaranteed $650,000 every year through 2016 to give out to students for this scholarship. (It will be eligible for renewal in 2016.) Also, you could be eligible for scholarships through some student organizations on campus as well. All these scholarships can really add up.

As far as residency matching goes, I know our school fairs pretty well. I believe someone mentioned that last year's class had 10/12 applicants match and I KNOW this is increasing every year. I know my class (2014) has a great deal of people interested in residencies. I believe our program prepares you very well for this and if that's what you set your mind to, it's all up to you. I would recommend joining SSHP if you are interested in a residency when you come to school here. They are geared towards helping students down that path, as well as the faculty being an excellent resource. A lot of student EVERYWHERE I believe end up retail. There just aren't enough residencies for pharmacy out there yet. If you want a residency and keep your mind set on that from day 1, I believe you stand a very good chance by coming to TAMU.

I hope this answers some questions. Other students, feel free to chime in/correct me!

Thank you so much for taking the time to contribute to this conversation. You gave me some really good answers that I was looking for. Good luck to you all!

I was wondering what is the current interest rate on student loans?

Is there a Facebook group to join if you got accepted into the Class of 2017?