General Admissions & OTCAS Texas MOT Applicants 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXMOT16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that OTCAS is up I just wanted to get this thread going for the people applying to MOT programs in Texas for the 2015-2016 cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to UTEP, UTMB, TTU and UTHSCSA. I know that TTU accepts on a rolling basis, does anyone know if the other schools do?

I am pretty sure UTMB does not have a rolling admissions policy, not sure about UTEP and UTHSCSA. I will be applying to TWU, UTMB, UTHSCSA, TTUHSC and a few other schools in other states!
Good luck to all in this anxiety producing application process!!

Members don't see this ad :)
TWU, UTMB, UTEP, and probably TTU over here--along with schools in Virginia, Michigan, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Florida. CAN YOU TELL I WANT TO GO TO OT SCHOOL?

Edit:
The list is now more like UTMB, TWU from Texas and then VCU (Virginia), UPitt, Salus (PA), ECU (NC), NOVA (FL), and then if I don't get into any of those, I'll try for UTEP and some others.

Last edited:
I'm applying to TWU, TTU, UTMB, and UTEP. I'm also considering applying out of state to BU and UNC. Best of luck to everyone on their applications!

@Rememberant @LeyanaLey @OTHOPEFUL2016 @Chreez @TXMOT16
So nice to see other Texas applicants on here! Do y'all mind sharing your stats? I am applying to UTMB, TWU and UTHSCSA and I'm nervous just like every other new applicant!

University of Alabama, will graduate in Dec 2016
Major: BS in Human Environmental Sciences
Cum GPA 3.85
Last 60 GPA: 3.78
Pre-Req GPA 4.0
GRE: 149 Verbal, 155 Quantitative, 3.5 Writing

Shadowing: 110 hours in SNF, outpatient hand therapy and peds

Good luck to everyone. Please continue to share any knowledge you may hear from the Texas programs as we progress through this process!!

Reactions: 1 user
Oops! I will graduate from the University of Alabama in December 2015, not 2016!

All Texas applicants, please post your application statistics!

University: Texas State
Major: Psych
Overall GPA: 3.68
Pre-req: 3.5-3.85
GRE: taking in september
shadowing: ~120 in 3 different settings (hand therapy, pediatric outpatient, inpatient rehab)

Applying at nearly every Texas school and about 5 out of state (in Cali and CO)
Good luck to everyone!!

So nice to see other Texas applicants on here! Do y'all mind sharing your stats? I am applying to UTMB, TWU and UTHSCSA and I'm nervous just like every other new applicant!

University: University of Texas at Arlington
Major: BS in Psychology
Cum GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 143 Verbal, 154 Quantitative, 4.5 Writing

Shadowing: About 130 hours in Outpatient Pediatrics & Outpatient Hospital setting

Good luck to everyone applying and hoping everyone gets into their desired schools!

Western Michigan University, Graduate 12/07
Major: Spanish
Cum GPA 3.3 (I think? I can finalize that once I get OTCAS's verification on it).
Last 60 GPA: 3.6
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 168 Verbal, 160 Quantitative, 4.5 Writing

Shadowing: 50 hours in outpatient pain management, assistive technologies, and SNF/Rehab (3 settings).

I'm applying to UTMB first due to rolling admits and will apply to the other programs later.

Anybody hear back from any of the Texas schools yet? I was looking at threads from last years Texas applicants and they were getting interviews around this time.

Anybody hear back from any of the Texas schools yet? I was looking at threads from last years Texas applicants and they were getting interviews around this time.
Only school I've heard from is Tech. I interviewed with them 3 weeks ago. Besides that, nothing!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I interviewed with TTUHSC on Oct 3. I was offered acceptance and offered a small scholarship within a week.
I have not heard anything from UTMB or TWU.
Good luck to everyone applying to Texas OT programs.

When did you guys submit your Tech apps?

I submitted my application to TTUHSC on Aug 8. I was contacted on Aug 28 for an interview.
I hope you receive an interview invite soon!

Hi guys, I'm applying to TWU Dallas and Texas Tech. I had an interview with Tech on October 3rd and was accepted within a few days and offered a small scholarship. My fingers are crossed for Dallas though! Good luck everyone

I interviewed on Oct.2 Texas Tech, which was a Friday and by Thursday I received a letter in the mail that I was accepted and offered a small scholarship. I accepted the spot, but I am waiting to hear back from TWU Dallas in Jan-Feb. I applied under assured admissions. My first choice is TWU Dallas. I am however thankful and relieved to have a spot and know that I will start next entry.

Hey guys. I submitted my application for Texas Tech on 10/6. Anyone submit around the same time and heard anything yet?

Hey guys. I submitted my application for Texas Tech on 10/6. Anyone submit around the same time and heard anything yet?
I submitted my application on the 15th and have not heard back yet.

I accepted spot for Texas Tech but today I got acceptance letter from TWU Dallas under assured admissions. TWU Dallas is my first choice. I wasn't expecting to hear back from TWU till Jan.

Congrats! Dallas is my first choice too, but mine was just regular admissions. What was your major and GPA?

Congrats! Dallas is my first choice too, but mine was just regular admissions. What was your major and GPA?

My undergrad was from TWU in health studies. My last 60 GPA was around 3.85. Overall GPA around a 3.7

Anyone who already interviewed at Texas Tech, when did you submit your application and when did they contact you for an interview?

I submitted mine August 27th, and was asked to interview on September 3rd. I completed my interview on October 3rd which was the first round of interviews, and was offered acceptance on October 6th. So that was my basic timeline. Good luck with it all!!

Anyone who already interviewed at Texas Tech, when did you submit your application and when did they contact you for an interview?

I submitted my packet on September 9th and on the 14th I received the interview email. I interviewed on October 3rd and received my acceptance email on the 8th.

My undergrad was from TWU in health studies. My last 60 GPA was around 3.85. Overall GPA around a 3.7

Awesome! I've got a prerequisite GPA of 4.0 and an overall 4.0 in psychology from Texas A&M at Commerce. I have good references, but my GRE scores were pretty of low.

My GRE scores were average. I don't know how much weight they are putting on GRE.

Hey guys!! For those who got an interview at Texas Tech, how was the interview set up?

I accepted spot for Texas Tech but today I got acceptance letter from TWU Dallas under assured admissions. TWU Dallas is my first choice. I wasn't expecting to hear back from TWU till Jan.

Have you informed Tech that you will not be accepting the spot? I was put on the alternate list and am not sure if they start picking people off the list as soon as students turn down their spot or if they wait until all interviews have been held.

I have not informed Texas Tech. TWU has a weird way of doing the admissions. First you get letter stating the MOT departament is recommending you for graduate admissions then you have to wait till you get acceptance letter from graduate admissions. Waiting on my letter to confirm before I give up my seat.

Hey guys!! For those who got an interview at Texas Tech, how was the interview set up?
If it is in person, they do several things. You'll meet the instructors and give you an overview of the program and the courses. You get to meet current students and ask them questions, you fill out a small essay-pretty easy, you get a tour of where the classrooms, labs, and offices are, and then the interview. It lasts maybe 15 minutes. There are two instructors and one student, but they're looking to know more about you as an OT. My questions were, is communication in this field important, what area would you choose to work in-elderly, kids, etc., what is a weakness and why and how will you handle the stress of this program. I can't remember the others, but it's a very relaxed environment and they just want to help you do your best.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking when did you submit your application and what is your GPA?

Have you informed Tech that you will not be accepting the spot? I was put on the alternate list and am not sure if they start picking people off the list as soon as students turn down their spot or if they wait until all interviews have been held.

If it is in person, they do several things. You'll meet the instructors and give you an overview of the program and the courses. You get to meet current students and ask them questions, you fill out a small essay-pretty easy, you get a tour of where the classrooms, labs, and offices are, and then the interview. It lasts maybe 15 minutes. There are two instructors and one student, but they're looking to know more about you as an OT. My questions were, is communication in this field important, what area would you choose to work in-elderly, kids, etc., what is a weakness and why and how will you handle the stress of this program. I can't remember the others, but it's a very relaxed environment and they just want to help you do your best.

Thank you so much!! I have an interview with them on Dec 5th. I'm a little nervous because it's going to be my very first interview!

I applied to TWU Houston right before the deadline as a last minute decision. When should I expect to hear back from them?

Thank you so much!! I have an interview with them on Dec 5th. I'm a little nervous because it's going to be my very first interview!
When did they send you an invite to an interview?

Heard from them yesterday via email! Interview is December 14th but there are different interview dates
Well that was a gut wrencher :( maybe I shouldn't have asked...lol but congratulations to you! Good luck!

Just got an interview invite from Texas Tech. Has anyone done the phone interview over the in person one? They say they dont give preference for applicants that do one over another but im not sure what would be best.

When did you submit your application? And how did they contact you about your interview? Through email?

If you don't mind me asking when did you submit your application and what is your GPA?

Not great...
3.46 Cumulative and 3.5 for prereqs
I submitted my app on Sept. 2 and interviewed Oct. 2
hoping three years working as a therapy tech for a certified hand therapist will give me a little bit of a boost but I hate not knowing where I stand on that alternate list.

Does anyone know if I applied to ttuhsc MOT program for 2016 but I won't be done with my prerequisites for the program until April 2016 will I still be interviewed along with everyone else or will I have to wait until the end?

Does anyone know when we'll hear back from TWU?

Well that was a gut wrencher :( maybe I shouldn't have asked...lol but congratulations to you! Good luck!
Honestly you never know! I'm not sure how many interview days they are doing :) Good luck to you too though. This is my third time applying to UTHSCSA so i'm glad to finally hear some good news back.

TWU applicants (for Denton at least) should know by the end of the month!