General Admissions & OTCAS Texas MOT Applicants 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when we'll hear back from TWU?
I'm a current TWU Dallas MOT student. Last year, the first round of acceptances started going out Jan 20 for Dallas, and Jan 21 for Houston. I know it's such a long wait! But it will be here before you know it. :-D

Members don't see this ad.

Just got a letter from TWU Dallas — it was for another student sent by mistake, but head's up they're a'coming!!!!!!

Honestly you never know! I'm not sure how many interview days they are doing :) Good luck to you too though. This is my third time applying to UTHSCSA so i'm glad to finally hear some good news back.
I got contacted today to interview in January!! Yay!!! I think they do group interviews with scenarios... Does that sound about right to you guys?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you receive a letter or an email? Was it an admissions letter for TWU Dallas?

It was an email with a print letter attachment from LaWana TWU Dallas. She just sent my correct acceptance letter!

Got an email from TWU houston!! I'm in!! This is my third time applying to OT school guys! I'm so relieved.. Conquered another mountain. ^.^

I applied to TWU, Texas Tech UTEP, Chatham and couple of other schools. I got an interview from Tech and Chatham and got accepted into Chatham. I haven't heard back from Tech yet. This is also my first year getting interviews and acceptances

My Stats are..

Graduated from University of Houston
Bachelor's in Kinesiology
Minor in Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.43
Prerequisite GPA: 3.5-3.9 (depending on the school)
Last 60hrs: 3.46

I'm also 23 years old.

Don't give up guys. It will surely be worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wow! Congrat's y'all!! TWU is really sending them out early this year. Ya'll are so spoiled. We had to wait until late January to hear anything!

Sounds like TWU Denton has also sent out some acceptances too.

I applied this cycle, last time I emailed LAWANA she said decision letters would go out by the End of this MONTH. I really hope that I ranked well and get an acceptance, or atleast waitlisted.
My last 60 is around 3.5
and my prereq gpa is around 3.4
so its not that impressive.
This is my second cylce applying. Congrats to all of those that got in! I wonder how many acceptances went out today. Im from Chicago, I hope that doesn't make me less competitive.

I was just waitlisted for TWU Houston. How do I know how high I rank on the list and when spots will become available? I'm freaking out :(

I was just waitlisted for TWU Houston. How do I know how high I rank on the list and when spots will become available? I'm freaking out :(

At least you know you got waitlisted today, I didn't get anything, which makes me think I'm probably on the reject list. I feel like the people who got emails today hold a chance, the admissions doesn't even consider the rest of us important enough to send out a rejection email. Im a negative nancy, the process is killing me. I can't imagine having to apply a 3rd cycle.

I also received a wait list from TWU Houston today. Definitely much earlier than last year. I wish we knew how many were wait listed.

This is my second year applying. Last year I only applied to TWU in Houston and was denied and didn't find out til February. This year I applied to TWU Houston and UTMB in Galveston. I received notification last week from UTMB for an interview in January. Extremely nervous!

I JUST got my acceptance for TWU Houston!! I wasn't expecting it so early, this is such a great surprise!! I'm freaking out right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current TWU Dallas MOT student. Last year, the first round of acceptances started going out Jan 20 for Dallas, and Jan 21 for Houston. I know it's such a long wait! But it will be here before you know it. :-D
I got a letter today saying I was accepted into the program (yay!!), but they have to get acceptance from the grad school as well. What are the chances the grad school denies me? I want to freak out and be excited but I feel like I can't yet lol

I got contacted today to interview in January!! Yay!!! I think they do group interviews with scenarios... Does that sound about right to you guys?
Yay!!!! Thats amazing :D very happy for you. Yes, my friend is a student and she said it's most likely just going to be group interview.

I JUST got my acceptance for TWU Houston!! I wasn't expecting it so early, this is such a great surprise!! I'm freaking out right now.
Congrats! I got one from Houston as well :) Future classmates perhaps?!!!

Got an email from TWU houston!! I'm in!! This is my third time applying to OT school guys! So don't give up hope if you didn't get in. If you really want to become an OT then you'll surely get there!!

I applied to TWU, Texas Tech UTEP, Chatham and couple of other schools. I got an interview from Tech and Chatham and got accepted into Chatham. I haven't heard back from Tech yet. This is also my first year getting interviews and acceptances

My Stats are..

Graduated from University of Houston
Bachelor's in Kinesiology
Minor in Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.43
Prerequisite GPA: 3.5-3.9 (depending on the school)
Last 60hrs: 3.46

I'm also 23 years old.

Don't give up guys. It will surely be worth it.
A big congratulations to you!!! That's some great news!

Yay!!!! Thats amazing :D very happy for you. Yes, my friend is a student and she said it's most likely just going to be group interview.
Awesome! Thank you! How is your friend liking it there?

I also received a wait list from TWU Houston today. Definitely much earlier than last year. I wish we knew how many were wait listed.

This is my second year applying. Last year I only applied to TWU in Houston and was denied and didn't find out til February. This year I applied to TWU Houston and UTMB in Galveston. I received notification last week from UTMB for an interview in January. Extremely nervous!
Is there anyone we can contact to find out? I'm still applying to other programs but it would just be nice to know what my chances are.

Congrats! I got one from Houston as well :) Future classmates perhaps?!!!

Possibly!!! TWU is definitely one of my top choices :) This is a tough decision!

Congrats! By any chance, do you remember how many people are accepted for Houston each year?

Well that was a gut wrencher :( maybe I shouldn't have asked...lol but congratulations to you! Good luck!
I heard from them today - interview in Jan....so they are still sending out emails!

I received my letter from TWU Dallas today! Congratulations to everyone who has gotten in so far!

They won't tell you where you are on the waitlist, unfortunately! I'm a student at TWU Dallas, and a good chunk of my classmates came from the waitlist. So you have a shot! :)

I got a letter today saying I was accepted into the program (yay!!), but they have to get acceptance from the grad school as well. What are the chances the grad school denies me? I want to freak out and be excited but I feel like I can't yet lol

If you were accepted into the program, you're pretty much guaranteed to be accepted by the grad school! I don't think anyone has ever been rejected, from what I was told.

Congrats! By any chance, do you remember how many people are accepted for Houston each year?

I would expect to see 40-50 acceptances. Dallas took 48 for the most recent cycle, and Houston is about the same.

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted to TWU yesterday! I was waitlisted for Dallas. It's pretty scary not knowing if/when we will be accepted. Hoping for the best!

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted to TWU yesterday! I was waitlisted for Dallas. It's pretty scary not knowing if/when we will be accepted. Hoping for the best!
did you find out yesterday? Or did you find out today? I don't know if I should be waiting for something, or should just give up and put my energy into applying to other schools. I'd rather be practical than wait around for TWU, if you don't mind me asking what were your stats?

They won't tell you where you are on the waitlist, unfortunately! I'm a student at TWU Dallas, and a good chunk of my classmates came from the waitlist. So you have a shot! :)

Do you know by any chance when they inform the waitlisters who are accepted? Or do they just send out acceptances as each spot becomes available?

They send out acceptances as spots become available! From my experience, they'll email you periodically to see if you would like to remain on the waitlist. They'll also cut some people from the waitlist after a while. Things may have changed since then, but I know they send out offers to folks on the waitlist as late as August.

Congrats to everyone!! I'm from Louisiana, but TWU was my top choice & I was accepted to the Dallas campus!! I couldn't be more excited!!! :happy:

Congrats to everyone!! I'm from Louisiana, but TWU was my top choice & I was accepted to the Dallas campus!! I couldn't be more excited!!! :happy:
CONGRATS!!! When did you receive your acceptance?

For those who mailed in the letter that says that you're accepting the seat for TWU, how long does it take for them to mail you back your official letter of acceptance?

I received my acceptance to TWU Denton on Wednesday!

I have a question - They say to mail your decision by January 4th, but I have an interview to UTMB, which is my first choice. Is it acceptable to accept TWU now, and on the chance that I get accepted to UTMB, decline the invitation later? Are there any consequences for this?

Congrats to all of you who got your acceptances and wait list spots at TWU!!! That is a huge accomplishment.

@amyOTpeds You still have a chance if you haven't heard anything from TWU! Some applicants are in limbo because TWU will wait until after they hear back denials from some of the first round of acceptances, and then offer some in limbo the spots they have open and out the rest on the wait list. Other applicants they put immediately on the wait list, or immediately deny. Others who are in limbo will eventually get a denial because the wait list is too long. If you haven't heard anything after Jan 4th (the response deadline) I would call to find out your status. Good luck!

@JK_PT The chance of getting rejected by the Graduate School is about 0.0001%. I would only be worried if you have a felony on your record or something! Take a breath and celebrate. You are going to OT school!!!!

@anniie It should take about 2 weeks to get the official grad school acceptance letter. Last year we emailed back our response though.

@longhorn3 Yes, it is not uncommon to accept TWU initially and then decline if you get into your preferred school. Just let them know ASAP when you decline. The consequence is that someone on the wait list gets good news a little later!!

Last edited:
Also, for those waiting on TWU, check your spam folder - especially if you have Gmail. A lot of people had their acceptance emails go to their spam/junk folders last year.

Was notified last week that I'll be interviewing with UTHSCSA on January 8th!!!
I know some students are interviewing today.

Does anyone have any experience with their interview system or advice?!?

Has anyone heard anything from Texas Tech lately? I submitted my app in October and never heard anything. Are they done with the interviewing process?

Heard from them yesterday via email! Interview is December 14th but there are different interview dates

What is the UTHSCSA interview process like? Have you heard anything back yet? I interview January 8 and am soo nervous!

What is the UTHSCSA interview process like? Have you heard anything back yet? I interview January 8 and am soo nervous!

Hi! Another user asked me the same thing so I'll copy paste what I said!! I had an interview, but I actually declined the interview after I got accepted at TWU. That was my top school so I wanted to open up the interview slot for someone else! My friend is in her first year at UTHSCSA though, and she told me that if it is the same format as last year you will only have a group interview and an essay. She said try to think of specific OT sessions you have seen or been a part of and how those interventions helped the patients. Also know how to explain why you want to be an OT and a good definition of what OT is. You'll also have a chance to sit with current OT students and ask them questions! Hope that helps!

Hey Ya'll,

Does anyone have any insight about TWU Dallas vs UTMB? I was accepted to TWU Dallas and have and interview with UTMB next Friday. Everyone keeps telling me that TWU is more research based and UTMB is more clinical. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Hi! Would you mind telling me what sold you on the TWU Dallas program? I was recently accepted to TWU Dallas and would like to hear what current students have to say about the program. Is there anything that was a game changer for you? Or is there anything you do not love about the program? I am a Dallasite and would love to stay in Dallas, but I am also considering UTMB.

I would love to hear insight from currents students at various programs. I have an interview with UTMB. I was accepted into the Texas women's Houston campus. I'd like to know what makes UTMB different from Texas women's. Congrats to everyone so far! :)

Has anyone heard anything from Texas Tech lately? I submitted my app in October and never heard anything. Are they done with the interviewing process?
I just got an invitation to interview today! So they aren't done yet.

For those interviewing at UTMB today,

Best of luck! I am a current MOT student and will be helping out with the interview process.

Take deep breaths, take your time, think critically about the questions you will be asked, and most of all, be yourself. You all will do great.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when UTEP will be sending out acceptance letters?

It was an email with a print letter attachment from LaWana TWU Dallas. She just sent my correct acceptance letter!
Congratulations! I also received acceptance to this program. See you there!

Hi! Would you mind telling me what sold you on the TWU Dallas program? I was recently accepted to TWU Dallas and would like to hear what current students have to say about the program. Is there anything that was a game changer for you? Or is there anything you do not love about the program? I am a Dallasite and would love to stay in Dallas, but I am also considering UTMB.

Hey Ya'll,

Does anyone have any insight about TWU Dallas vs UTMB? I was accepted to TWU Dallas and have and interview with UTMB next Friday. Everyone keeps telling me that TWU is more research based and UTMB is more clinical. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I'll share a few things as a current TWU Dallas student! I only applied to that program, so I really can't say much as to what sold me. I'm from the area, and it's the only OT school in DFW. Location was the primary reason I chose to attend because I didn't want to move too far from home. Other than that, it was because the program has a great reputation. I'm happy with it so far! I know a lot of people say that "this school is more clinical" or "that school is more research-oriented", but every program has to meet the same AOTA criteria in their curriculum. You're going to be introduced to research no matter where you go--it's just part of where OT is going these days! You'll also develop clinical skills in every program!

I feel like what makes a big difference within a program is the faculty at each school. Some have more experience teaching than others. Some are still practicing clinicians who bring a lot of real world experience to the classroom. Some are new teachers, and others have been with the program for years. Every professor has their own interests and personalities, and that's going to come out in how they teach. I feel like we've had a different experience than the class ahead of us, partly because we've had a slightly different set of professors teaching our courses. So what has been said in previous years about the program may not apply anymore!

And complaints? It can get pretty overwhelming at times, but you have to expect that. We're required to cover a lot of material in a short amount of time, so I don't always feel like I've learned the ins and outs of everything. But being an OT means that you're going to be a lifelong learner. We come out of school as generalists, and we continue our education for the rest of our careers. Also, things (sorry if that's vague!) can feel disorganized at times, but the faculty works hard to makes our experience in the program as fruitful as possible. If you start this program, just prepare to be flexible!

Like I said, I'm happy with the program! The faculty are super considerate, and they really want to make sure that you develop the skills to be a competent practitioner! We deal with chaos here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. One of our professors was lecturing earlier this week and said that one of the most beautiful things about OT is how we deal with the mundane. It put me off for second, but I thought about it and was suddenly filled with this glowy feeling. It's about the little things. I'm rambling here, but I just wanted to emphasize how inspiring the program and the faculty can be.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions. I won't promise an immediate answer because I am kind of drowning in reading and projects already. I'll get around to it, though! :)

I'll share a few things as a current TWU Dallas student! I only applied to that program, so I really can't say much as to what sold me. I'm from the area, and it's the only OT school in DFW. Location was the primary reason I chose to attend because I didn't want to move too far from home. Other than that, it was because the program has a great reputation. I'm happy with it so far! I know a lot of people say that "this school is more clinical" or "that school is more research-oriented", but every program has to meet the same AOTA criteria in their curriculum. You're going to be introduced to research no matter where you go--it's just part of where OT is going these days! You'll also develop clinical skills in every program!

I feel like what makes a big difference within a program is the faculty at each school. Some have more experience teaching than others. Some are still practicing clinicians who bring a lot of real world experience to the classroom. Some are new teachers, and others have been with the program for years. Every professor has their own interests and personalities, and that's going to come out in how they teach. I feel like we've had a different experience than the class ahead of us, partly because we've had a slightly different set of professors teaching our courses. So what has been said in previous years about the program may not apply anymore!

And complaints? It can get pretty overwhelming at times, but you have to expect that. We're required to cover a lot of material in a short amount of time, so I don't always feel like I've learned the ins and outs of everything. But being an OT means that you're going to be a lifelong learner. We come out of school as generalists, and we continue our education for the rest of our careers. Also, things (sorry if that's vague!) can feel disorganized at times, but the faculty works hard to makes our experience in the program as fruitful as possible. If you start this program, just prepare to be flexible!

Like I said, I'm happy with the program! The faculty are super considerate, and they really want to make sure that you develop the skills to be a competent practitioner! We deal with chaos here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. One of our professors was lecturing earlier this week and said that one of the most beautiful things about OT is how we deal with the mundane. It put me off for second, but I thought about it and was suddenly filled with this glowy feeling. It's about the little things. I'm rambling here, but I just wanted to emphasize how inspiring the program and the faculty can be.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions. I won't promise an immediate answer because I am kind of drowning in reading and projects already. I'll get around to it, though! :)

Do you have any advice for those entering TWU Dallas MOT program? As far as reading or going over material before the first semester is there anything that you think would of prepared you more?

Do you have any advice for those entering TWU Dallas MOT program? As far as reading or going over material before the first semester is there anything that you think would of prepared you more?

I think that you could start the semester without reviewing much and be okay! But if it's been a while since you've taken your pre-reqs, or if you want to be extra prepared and maybe even ahead of the game, reviewing material is a good idea.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Review the anatomical terms of movement. Know the major muscles in the upper body and the kind of movements they're involved in. You will be covering and practicing ROM and MMT, so knowing these things will make things a lot easier!

2. Neuro was the toughest course for me. If you don't have a strong background in neuro, covering basic concepts would be beneficial. General structures and functions of different areas of the brain, neuronal structure, etc. Just have an idea of how the body works at that level. You'll be exposed to a TON of new content, and I think my biggest struggle was trying to tie it all together into the bigger picture.

3. Stay on top of your readings as much as possible, and get ahead if you're able to. I have never had to read so much while juggling other projects until I started this program! If you're a big procrastinator or you don't have very good study skills, start working on those things now!

4. Despite all of the above, enjoy your time before school starts! It's a totally different world once you start OT school. :)