MD & DO Texas Resident Applying for Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiPSTONE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 4.0 (Cumulative and Science)
MCAT: 27 (PS:9, V:7, BS:11)

Plenty of Extracurriculars related and non-related to medicine.

Committee letter provided by school

The weakest part of my application is my MCAT. It may prevent me from getting many interviews. I would also like commenters to please state what out of state schools I should apply to (DO or MD).

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think you will have luck with out of state MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
What are my chances at any in state schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a friend who got into utmb with the same mcat and maybe a bit lower gpa but not by much. They emphasize a high gpa for some reason so you likely have a shot at there

Reactions: 1 users
What are my chances at any in state schools?

You likely have a strong chance in state not only due to the strong in-state bias in texas - but you'll also have 10 in state schools to apply to this cycle (Including dell)! Out of state schools are just so difficult for Texans since we already have so many in state schools as is! Don't be discouraged. I have similar stats to yours and a variety of extracurriculars (most of which had NOTHING to do with medicine), and i was blessed to be offered admission into 2 in-state schools. It CAN be done! I would recommend focusing in state AND SUBMIT EARLY. I honestly can't emphasize that enough. it honestly does make a huge difference.

Good luck and be confident in your app! i have every faith you'll do well!

Verbal of 7 is killer. You may be able to get some interviews here based on your GPA and ECs, but it's hard to say without knowing what they are. Apply early just like everyone is saying! Like get it submitted today, unless you want to wait for a better MCAT.