Texas Tech 2012 Application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I gave up my A&M seat yesterday and have chosen Tech in Abilene. Tech is closer to home. Had A&M been closer, I would have chosen the school. It was a very tough decision. Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I gave up my A&M seat yesterday and have chosen Tech in Abilene. Tech is closer to home. Had A&M been closer, I would have chosen the school. It was a very tough decision. Good luck to everyone.

Besides the distance, what else made you choose tech over a&m. I'm torn over the same decision.

Thanks for your input. I think what jumped out at me is 6.8%. That is more than mortgage rates!!!

Mortgage interest rates are low b/c the government is holding them low. I can't believe that the government loans are at that rate! I guess they have to make up the money somewhere & now they are targeting students. Thank you President Obama

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Mortgage interest rates are low b/c the government is holding them low. I can't believe that the government loans are at that rate! I guess they have to make up the money somewhere & now they are targeting students. Thank you President Obama

Thank you FED.

Besides the distance, what else made you choose tech over a&m. I'm torn over the same decision.

There is nothing else. My interviewer said that A&M was the cheapest school in the state but she did not respond to the difference between A&M and other schools. I believe it is no more than $1K for tuition. As well as cost of living, Abilene is a smaller town, perhaps smaller than Kingsville so living cost may be less and less traffic. I also like the fact that there is ONLY 40 P1 students. I get to know my classmates much better and that is always a plus, a family setting per se. However, the number one factor was the distance.

I will be giving up my AMA/DAL seat for this upcoming year. I would have loved to attend this school but I will be attending A&M instead. It's really tough to give up my seat to such a great school, but I just can't live in such a cold environment. Brrrrr

really? you gave up on tech because you can't stand mother nature? uh A&M gets cold too. something called "winter". this is crazy ahaha

There is nothing else. My interviewer said that A&M was the cheapest school in the state but she did not respond to the difference between A&M and other schools. I believe it is no more than $1K for tuition. As well as cost of living, Abilene is a smaller town, perhaps smaller than Kingsville so living cost may be less and less traffic. I also like the fact that there is ONLY 40 P1 students. I get to know my classmates much better and that is always a plus, a family setting per se. However, the number one factor was the distance.

100+ students are AMA, youll get to meet more peeps!

"I'm probably going to die some day.....Thanks Obama" hahahahaha my favorite part.

The basis for my "thanks Obama" was that the way the Fed fights a recession is different btw Bush & Obama. Unfortunately it looks like students are paying a higher interest rate b/c of that. The loans that I took out were all under Bush and all are significantly lower than the current interest rates being offered now. I just took macroeconomics & my book was talking about how both parties philosophy on the Fed will work to solve a short term recession. It just seems as though students now are not benefiting from Obama's philosophy. That's all I'm saying.

You don't give up, do you? Perhaps some day I may pay a visit to Amarillo and get to know "The Recoverer" ;)

hahah sorry about that. Just joking. none of my beeswax where people go. I hope you have fun and wish you the best of luck in school!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
hahah sorry about that. Just joking. none of my beeswax where people go. I hope you have fun and wish you the best of luck in school!:)

Likewise, I wish you success at Texas Tech. And yes, I hope there will be a boat load of FUN!!!

Bump. Anyone heard anything? Status on the number of seats?

Just declined my acceptance. Wish the best of luck to you guys.

Does anyone know how to process the criminal background check (CBC)? I am supposed to process the CBC and email the Consent Form to Tech. I just don't know how to go about processing the CBC. Help please

Nevermind I have been out of town and did not receive the directions for the CBC but I figured it out.

Just accepted my offer and paid my deposit. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Do you guys know if they are still sending out acceptances for March 8th/ 15th?

Do you guys know if they are still sending out acceptances for March 8th/ 15th?

I'm not sure if they've sent all the acceptances but I interviewed on March 15. Maybe they will send more tomorrow.

Just got the link to the 'welcome' video :))))))
So excited!

Just got my acceptance! So happy!!!

Just accepted my offer and paid my deposit. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Congrats! now join our fb groups!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/472321892825464/ (main group with current P!s and incomers)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/294038034031523/ (mostly incomers for class of 2017)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TTUHSCPharmacySchoolFitness/

Being a 4th year pharmacy student about to graduate, I will give my 2cents about Texas Tech. This started as my last choice in TX due to location. I too had to decide between multiple schools. However, following my tech interview, it became #1 after speaking with students and observing how faculty/students interacted.

All the school promises is that you will receive an excellent education which rivals any school setting you up for success in the future. This was true as evidenced by our % graduates with jobs or a residency prior to graduation. We do 12 clinical rotations while most others do 7-8. Those interested in a residency and future clinical practice, I will have you know that the majority of my class (who entered the match) matched at their number 1 choice for residency, including: UMSC, UTSW, Baylor, Childrens etc. I only know of 2 people who did not match and those who did not get their first choice matched at their second. This is incredibly impressive!

We have been told our clinical knowledge is, in general, very impressive upon graduation, to the point where multiple hospitals hire us right out of school with a job description including 1/3 clinical practice.

The fact is, despite school choice, you are going to be in debt (ALOT!). Choose the program which is best for you, not the location, class size or title of the school. Afterall, the next 4 yrs (for sure the first 2) will feel like a prison sentence. If you have any questions, I will attempt to answer them.

GL! :xf:

Last edited:
Being a 4th year pharmacy student about to graduate, I will give my 2cents about Texas Tech. This started as my last choice in TX due to location. I too had to decide between multiple schools. However, following my tech interview, it became #1 after speaking with students and observing how faculty/students interacted.

All the school promises is that you will receive an excellent education which rivals any school setting you up for success in the future. This was true as evidenced by our % graduates with jobs or a residency prior to graduation. We do 12 clinical rotations while most others do 7-8. Those interested in a residency and future clinical practice, I will have you know that the majority of my class (who entered the match) matched at their number 1 choice for residency, including: UMSC, UTSW, Baylor, Childrens etc. I only know of 2 people who did not match and those who did not get their first choice matched at their second. This is incredibly impressive!

We have been told our clinical knowledge is, in general, very impressive upon graduation, to the point where multiple hospitals hire us right out of school with a job description including 1/3 clinical practice.

The fact is, despite school choice, you are going to be in debt (ALOT!). Choose the program which is best for you, not the location, class size or title of the school. Afterall, the next 4 yrs (for sure the first 2) will feel like a prison sentence. If you have any questions, I will attempt to answer them.

This makes me so happy because I am thinking of doing the residency/clinical route! YAY

Quick question: does Tech emphasize med chem as much as other schools?

Has anyone heard back for March 8th interviews? I haven't heard a word from Tech regarding anything and I keep emailing the admissions counselor who I have the most contact with (same response everytime)...

Hey guys!
I am a P2 student in Amarillo who is getting ready to move back to Dallas for my last 2 years.
Is anyone who is already in Amarillo interested in purchasing a Full sized bed (mattresses, pads, rails, and cute white wicker headboard), and a dryer? I'm selling all the bedding for $200 and the dryer for $90. Thanks! If interested, let me know.

Has anyone heard back for March 8th interviews? I haven't heard a word from Tech regarding anything and I keep emailing the admissions counselor who I have the most contact with (same response everytime)...

I interviewed March 8 and heard back April 11. You should try calling/emailing Mike. He is pretty efficient on getting back to students.

Quick question: does Tech emphasize med chem as much as other schools?
We do not have a Med Chem class specifically. They say this is "included" in our classes. Therefore, to answer your question. No.

Just to update, I interviewed on the 8th. Got an offer to be waitlisted today but I declined since I've already accepted an offer from my number one. :)

The wait list is now ranked. Need about 10 people to decline so I can get the chance to go here ;(

Hey guys, I've been absent a while.

A lot of stuff has been going on in my life in the last few months, and unfortunately most of it has been pretty unpleasant. My uncle, who was not in great health (but not terrible), passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly yesterday.

Due to all this, I have decided to defer my enrollment at Tech until next year. As much as I have been looking forward to joining the class of 2017, it's going to be the class of 2018 for me. I hope that whoever gets my spot in this year's class and taken off of the wait list gets the most welcome surprise of their life.

I forgot to mention the good news. I got a great job at a mail order pharmacy that pays half again what I made at CVS. My sister made an A on the final she had today, which she had thought she'd failed (good guesser I suppose).

And in mixed news, my step-dad ran over a kitten that darted in front of his truck this afternoon. Only her tail was damaged. We took her to the vet, and a somewhat obscene amount of money later, she will live, but lose her tail. Seeing as my cat disappeared a few months ago, and my uncle had passed not 24 hours earlier, we knew we had to save her and make her a member of the family.

Hey guys, I've been absent a while.

A lot of stuff has been going on in my life in the last few months, and unfortunately most of it has been pretty unpleasant. My uncle, who was not in great health (but not terrible), passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly yesterday.

Due to all this, I have decided to defer my enrollment at Tech until next year. As much as I have been looking forward to joining the class of 2017, it's going to be the class of 2018 for me. I hope that whoever gets my spot in this year's class and taken off of the wait list gets the most welcome surprise of their life.

Romylove, I am so sorry to hear that your uncle has passed away. I hope your deferment will give you the time you need to be with your family, to heal, and to prepare for pharmacy school.

Have you given a name to your new kitten?

Thank you. I am really glad that I get this time. We are all stunned about my uncle. We all thought my grandma would go first (including her), and she is just absolutely devastated by losing him. I think my mom is taking it the hardest. I saw her go through the five stages of grief so quickly after the nurse called her and told her we all needed to get there ASAP. Thanks to her knowledge of the situation, we all got to the hospital about an hour before he passed, so even though he was in a coma, everyone was there for him.

And we're naming the kitten Kenzie.

got called up from the wait list!
see you guys in amarillo.