USMLE The best way to use UWorld

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorInTheMaking14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to maximize the Uworld Q banks? I find it such a waste of time to write notes in a separate notebook and honestly just going through each question takes forever :(

Members don't see this ad.

What is the best way to maximize the Uworld Q banks? I find it such a waste of time to write notes in a separate notebook and honestly just going through each question takes forever :(

Search around, there's a lot of opinions on this, but I think its best to go over each U World question pretty thoroughly. I'm doing ~ 10 a day right now and its taking quite awhile to go through that many alone. I have some classmates who are doing 20-30/day and I have no idea how. Just as an example, I spent about ~40 mins. going over one question on nephritic syndrome. The explanation basically went over every detail of every disease (IF, EM, LM, serology, presentation, etc.). I'm not sure how people to them so quickly unless they are just reading explanations briefly and moving on, or they already know the material well enough already.

Anyway, it does take forever but I think it will pay off. I've already come to questions that I have gotten correct because of my efforts on earlier questions. Also, you could just annotate into first aid if a separate notebook is too much.

Take 2-3 weeks and try to do 200/day on tutor mode. Then have a few days left over so you can do all the ones you got wrong again. Supplement with a review text to read topics you struggle with.

That is what works for me. I find that taking notes as you go isn't especially helpful and can turn into a time sink. If you keep doing questions and reading (and rereading) topics you struggle with, you are getting adequate reps into pulling down a solid score.

This is the most important exam that you will ever take since it will funnel you into & away from certain residencies & locations & basically map out the next 50 years of your life

Take the time to do ALL the Qs in DETAIL
I annotated the info into First Aid where that particular topic was being talked about (Get it 3 hole punched & you can put in extra pages)
I also wrote out the Q #s from UW in the topic in First Aid so if I wanted to only review Afib, I knew which Qs to go to

And....TAKE THE TIME TO DO ALL THE Qs & EXPLANATIONS (since doing FP in Alaska will really seem like forever)

I made a note book of my incorrects and limited the space to 1 line statement and a 1 line answer. I would then every other day go through the incorrects. It helped me get the stuff that wouldn't stick to stick.