The Commonwealth Medical College (TCMC) MBS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TChapmanwvu1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw there was no thread for the MBS program at TCMC for the next year. Just got accepted and I am planning to attend. If anyone is interviewing or also will be attending/thinking about attending, thought this would be a great way to start up some conversations!

If you have questions about my stats etc, I'd be willing to tell anyone.

I know they are still conducting interviews, and many are probably still waiting to hear from them after the interview. This program is interesting, I think its a good avenue to get into an MD program, whether its at TCMC or a different school. The staff during the interview were very welcoming. Even though its expensive, I think its the best chance I have for getting into a program next year, and the fact its degree granting over a certificate is attractive.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could I ask for your stats? Also how long did it take for them to get back to you? A recruiter visited our AMSA club and got me really interested in their program.

I have an interview coming up on friday for the MBS program and I was wondering if you had any tips on the interview! Also, how long did you have to wait until you heard back from the school? This is my number one program and I'm pretty nervous. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll answer both questions. First, why not my stats.

I have a 3.4 GPA overall, and a 26 on my MCAT. I had two Med School interviews both was rejected from both schools. My GPA over the past two years of college has been great, but my general chemistry grades and 7 on the MCAT I think is what kept me out of school this year, and why I ultimately started looking other places. Anyway, thats my story in very short. If you want to know additional, shoot a question.

So, I applied to the med school first, and in January when they rejected my app (w/o interview) I elected to move my amcas app over to the MBS program. So I technically applied to the MBS in late January. They replied to me within a week, and I had my interview then March 9. They got back to me about acceptance in late March, can't remember the exact date, and It was by an update on the portal, email and letter all within a few days of each other, with the portal updating first.

As for the interview, if this is your first interview be prepared for hell. Just kidding, it was very relaxed and extremely informative. I got a very good feeling from the interview, they certainly do a good job at making you feel at home, and that at TCMC you are part of a school that is growing and contributing to the community and medicine. The questions consisted of basic items to get to know you, no academic questions at all. I did notice it was open however, but they didn't concentrate on my grades until I brought them up specifically.

One tid bit, get there early because I was extremely lucky that I found a parking space outside of the Med Sci. Building where the interview was. There was not much parking around the building, at least not to my knowledge.

Annmarr do you mind me asking why this is your number one program, just curious. I have my own reasons but I would really like to hear others opinion about it.

Thank you for the info! I visited many schools and looked into tons of postbacc/MBS programs during undergrad and I wan't impressed with them. I didn't really want to live in the larger cities like Philly and NYC. I visited TCMC because a friend at the med school loves it there. I found the people to be extremely welcoming and down to earth and the facilities are brand new. Not to mention I'd much rather earn a degree rather than a certificate. I didn't apply to medical school because my gpa was only a 3.2 and I feel that instead of taking a year off, I would benefit more from a program like this and be better prepared for med school. (I was going to be a lawyer for the first two years of college and then decided that's not what I wanted to do). I also sat in a few classes for the MBS program and really enjoyed it. Also the professors seem to really want to help the students get into a medical school whether it be theirs or a different one.

I have also been accepted to the MBS for 2012 after interviewing March 9th. Overall, the response times are almost exactly what they tell you to expect. They said it should be about 3 weeks to hear back and I was accepted on March 30th. One of the most important parts of the interview in my opinion was to point out the reasons that you would be a good fit for the program since the interview process is relatively informal and you will get the opportunity to explain why you are interested in the program and why you will succeed. Good luck!

I'm a current MBS student at TCMC finishing up my degree in a few weeks. Let me know if I can answer any of your questions.

Awesome, congrats on finishing the MBS. What are your plans for next year, are you remaining at TCMC?

I'm a current MBS student at TCMC finishing up my degree in a few weeks. Let me know if I can answer any of your questions.

Cool congrats. How is the grading? Also, what has been the success rate for the MBS students in getting into medical schools so far? How many people are in the class and how many of them get into TCMC? The website says that that TCMC reserves spots for MBS students. How many spots do they reserve?

Thanks!

Cool congrats. How is the grading? Also, what has been the success rate for the MBS students in getting into medical schools so far? How many people are in the class and how many of them get into TCMC? The website says that that TCMC reserves spots for MBS students. How many spots do they reserve?

Thanks!

I actually just found out I was accepted to TCMC so I'm thrilled it worked out for me!! Grading is like college - A,B,C,D,F with the normal percentages. Next years class will have a slightly larger class size than ours I believe (which was 42). TCMC says they save a few spots for their MBS class but there's no specific number. With that said, it you have a decent ugrad gpa, good mcat, good TCMC gpa for your first semester, you're a nice person, and interview well, you should be accepted. I believe 9 of us were accepted with maybe 8 or 9 being waitlisted. 6 rejections (don't quote me on that)

It's a great program and a great school. (that's not me selling the school, it really is impressive).

Edit: TCMC is really cares about the personalities of their students. If you're a douche bag, you'll get rejected from the MD program. (I've seen it happen)

Anybody that's accepted look at the schedule for the Princeton MCAT course. I think it looks like it will be very useful, a lot of practice tests are provided. If their website isn't lying, it seems all the classes are either 6:30 to 9 or 9 to 12 at night? pretty weird but I think I could get used to that

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too late to apply to this program ?!
No, it is not too late. According to the MBS program admissions website "Applications for the MBS Program are accepted on a rolling basis until May 25, 2012." So you can still apply but you should definitely do so quickly.

If I were you I would apply immediately. They have another open house May 9, where they also interview students. After this, they are most likely going to start doing phone interviews to fill up the rest of the class to the intended 55 (as was told to me by one of the admin personnel at my interview when I asked them how many students they were interviewing, accepting). This was back in March when I had my interview by the way, so it could've changed since then. Either way its not to late, but I wouldn't wait.

Hey,
Has anyone who interviewed on 4/13 heard from TCMC yet? The schools I've received acceptances from are starting to hound me for a response and since TCMC is my first choice I can't really decide until I hear back.

I interviewed on 4/13 too and haven't heard back yet :( I thought I would hear back in three weeks but I remember them saying maybe a month

I just heard back today and was accepted! Can't wait to meet everybody this summer

Accepted! I'll be seeing everyone in August!

hey everyone i interview on friday and was wondering if any one has any advice for it. Any information you could share regarding your experience is appreciated. Also is the MCAT course required in this program?

hey everyone i interview on friday and was wondering if any one has any advice for it. Any information you could share regarding your experience is appreciated. Also is the MCAT course required in this program?

Hey, how was your interview? I received an interview invite for June 1 :claps: As far as the MCAT course, it's mandatory for those students who scored less than 28. This info is under the FAQs on the website.

Just got an email for an interview!

Quite excited! I've driven through Scranton a few times and its a nice city to live in. Will be scheduling and hopefully getting in.

Besides asking general questions, are there any specific items you should be prepared for? i.e. what they're well known for, why you want to do med etc?

Just got an email for an interview!

Quite excited! I've driven through Scranton a few times and its a nice city to live in. Will be scheduling and hopefully getting in.

Besides asking general questions, are there any specific items you should be prepared for? i.e. what they're well known for, why you want to do med etc?

When do you interview?

What time do the interviews generally begin, and how long do they last? I'm coming from out of town, and need to know for plane ticket purposes :)

Going on the 4th. from my email is looks like it will run until 2pm. The interview is 20-30 minutes.

Any word of when MBS will receive acceptances?

Last edited:
Are all the acceptances by phone? I interviewed 5/18 and i am now on vacation in europe with no phone access.

Nvm, i just found a way to check voicemail and was also accepted ! Any of you all know what the next step is ? I have horrible reception here and wasnt able to hear the end of the voicemail.

Nvm, i just found a way to check voicemail and was also accepted ! Any of you all know what the next step is ? I have horrible reception here and wasnt able to hear the end of the voicemail.
They told me that they will be sending everything by mail (acceptance letter and paperwork).

Did anyone who interviewed on May 25th hear back yet?

Hey, yeah they're making calls this morning I believe!

Accepted!!!

Hey, yeah they're making calls this morning I believe!

Accepted!!!

For those of you receiving phone call acceptances congrats! If you don't mind sharing...what does your status on the MBS online portal say?

Hey Everyone,
I'm looking for a female roommate, if anyone is interested please send me a private message. I'm still looking for a place with a max $400 rent.

Anybody that interviewed on June 1st hear back yet?

Hey all,

I have an interview for TCMC's MBS program tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what the interview is like?

For those of you who interviewed and were accepted: how many questions did you ask? What were your questions geared towards?

I'm just a little nervous as this is my first interview for an SMP. I'm just a little unsure on how it should go and if anything would be considered presumptuous. I would really like it to go well so any and all advice would be very helpful. Thanks everyone in advance!

I applied... My app was sent for review on the 4th. How long does the reply generally take for you guys? I am really hoping I get into this program. Change of scenery would be nice!

I applied... My app was sent for review on the 4th. How long does the reply generally take for you guys? I am really hoping I get into this program. Change of scenery would be nice!

About a week. Good luck to you!

For those accepted and attending, is there a Class of 2013 Facebook group yet?

If you search TCMC MBS Class of 2013 there is a group. For some reason its private, so you have to request to join

Any news on acceptances lately? I am getting antsy, haha.

Did anyone who interviewed on 06/04 hear back yet?

Hmm. I could've sworn I saw on the website that they said they'd notify us no later than June 15th... But that date has somehow managed to disappear. lol.

Hmm. I could've sworn I saw on the website that they said they'd notify us no later than June 15th... But that date has somehow managed to disappear. lol.

Where did you see that on the website? They said about a week and a maximum of two weeks at the June 1st interview date.