the differences between pathology and infectious diseases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hnbui

Addicted to Yale Med
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between pathology annd infectious diseases? What does each speciality entail? If you wouldn't mind, could you include in your answer: average hours per week, years of training, job description, competitiveness of the programs, salary.

thanks.
Also if someone wanted to go into academics pathology or infectious disease would they be required to get a phd?

Members don't see this ad.

hnbui said:
Also if someone wanted to go into academics pathology or infectious disease would they be required to get a phd?

No. There are many folks in academic pathology and ID who do not have a Ph.D.

hnbui said:
Can anyone tell me the difference between pathology annd infectious diseases? What does each speciality entail? If you wouldn't mind, could you include in your answer: average hours per week, years of training, job description, competitiveness of the programs, salary.

thanks.

Frankly, if you don't know the difference between pathology and infectious disease the least of your concerns should be which has a better salary and training program. It's almost like asking what the difference between a policeman and a firefighter is.

Infectious disease is a subspecialty of internal medicine.

Pathology is not.

If you specialize in microbiology via pathology you can run a big lab if you are good enough but you won't be seeing patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think ID docs use their stethoscopes more.