The Four Options: Informal vs Formal vs Second vs CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leo06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, before anyone lashes out at me because this has been brought up again and again, I have been in a frenzy reading threads on the SDN/looking up programs/calling contacts in post-bacc programs in attempt to see my options for a Post-Bacc.
I find that the more I research the more complicated and difficult the decision becomes.

Second, this is going to be very specific to my situation but I think others might find it useful if there are some good responses.

My stats:
UC Santa Barbara graduate
Majors: Psychology (GPA 3.94) and Communication (GPA 4.00)
Minor: Education and Applied Psychology
Overall G.P.A.: 3.76
Research Assistance:
4 positions, [2 in Psych labs, 1 in Comm, 1 in School Psychology]
Employment positions: 2 positions working with children with autism.
GRE taken last fall: 158 V (78th), 151 Q (45th), Written 5.5 (99th percentile)
*Not proud at all of the Q score, I am able to at least get 55th percentile. Can also improve Verbal to 80th.
Located in Los Angeles County
***I have NO hard science classes completed***
I only have statistics and calc for social sciences.
I have two great LOR, one a professor and a department coordinator at UCSB who I conducted research with.

My options as I have researched:

Option 1) - Apply to Formal Post-Bacc Programs for Fall 2015: - Takes 3 years
This is your typical: LMU, Scripps, Charles Drew, CSU Fullerton.
* I need to get Volunteer experience ASAP* in order to even be competitive.

Option 2) - Apply for 2nd bachelors for Spring 2015 and Fall 2015 - Takes 4 years
-This is a serious consideration but most Spring entries are closed (literally as of yesterday/tonight)
-CSULB- super impacted and they do not allow me to apply for Biology classes at CSULB

Option 3) - Informal - UCLA Extension + Open University, 2-3 years
-I have taken two UCLA ext courses before I thought they were fine and I can also keep my job and earn money to pay the classes off.

Option 4) - Community College:
-Not considering this at all.

Questions I have:
- Is my resume even competitive enough to me accepted into a Post-Bacc?
Assuming that I get that volunteer experience and a letter of recommendation from them to complete my application. Are there key elements missing?
- Is a second bachelors degree in nursing going to hurt me? (Adcomms assuming something is off with me by doing NURSING!? (sarcasm)]
-Should I even do a second bachelor?
Many of the threads are dated regarding this.
-Is this informal (UCLA Ext + Open) my best bet at this point?
- This is what I am seriously considering solely because I feel I am not competitive enough/wont get into Formal post-Baccs.
- What is your vote regarding my options? Please put at least a sentence of explanation just so I can compare/contrast everything.

I truly appreciate and am grateful for any help I can get regarding this matter...I am very motivated I just need to know the right direction so I can dig deep and start this journey once and for all.

Thank you!
Leo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You seem to not see the difference between "academic enhancer" and "career changer". Key difference to see. There's been no change in what these terms mean since SDN started over a decade ago, so thread freshness isn't an issue.

Academic enhancement is for folks with GPA damage. You don't have GPA damage.

Career changer is for folks who need to get the med school prereqs done. That's you.

Formal postbacs are usually 1 year. Sometimes 2. Never 3.

A 2nd bachelors in nursing, when what you supposedly want is to go to med school, is completely ridiculous. Study nursing if you want to practice as a nurse. If somebody is telling you nursing is a good backup plan if med school doesn't work out, then go study nursing after med school doesn't work out. Meanwhile, usually, a nursing BSN doesn't include the med school prereqs - nursing science classes are different.

You missed several formal programs in California, including Mills.

UCLA extension is fine if that's what you want to do, but you don't seem to understand why it's fine, and you don't seem to understand what "competitive" for the formal programs means.

Do you have access to a premed adviser in real life? Even a bad premed adviser might be helpful in getting the basics straight.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
You seem to not see the difference between "academic enhancer" and "career changer". Key difference to see. There's been no change in what these terms mean since SDN started over a decade ago, so thread freshness isn't an issue.

Academic enhancement is for folks with GPA damage. You don't have GPA damage.

Career changer is for folks who need to get the med school prereqs done. That's you.

Formal postbacs are usually 1 year. Sometimes 2. Never 3.

A 2nd bachelors in nursing, when what you supposedly want is to go to med school, is completely ridiculous. Study nursing if you want to practice as a nurse. If somebody is telling you nursing is a good backup plan if med school doesn't work out, then go study nursing after med school doesn't work out. Meanwhile, usually, a nursing BSN doesn't include the med school prereqs - nursing science classes are different.

You missed several formal programs in California, including Mills.

UCLA extension is fine if that's what you want to do, but you don't seem to understand why it's fine, and you don't seem to understand what "competitive" for the formal programs means.

Do you have access to a premed adviser in real life? Even a bad premed adviser might be helpful in getting the basics straight.

Best of luck to you.

Hello DrMidlife and thank you for the reply.

I see what you mean about not pursuing a second bachelor's in nursing. It was a stretched idea, to say the least.

I am aware of the career changer v. academic enhancer distinction now, I appreciate you clearing that up.

As for listing CA schools...I know I did not list all possibilities but thank you for adding Mills to the list!

I believe I understand why the UCLA extension is a good idea - I actually read some of your comments on other threads and have it copy/pasted onto a word doc.

I definitely do not understand what makes me "competitive" in terms of my chances of getting into Formal Post-Baccs, I will agree to that statement.
Could you expand on what makes someone competitive versus not.
Or
Even better, what would be a great element to add to make my current resume? What is the key element missing? (volunteering is what I assumed).

I dont currently have a pre-med advisor but I can try calling up some schools and talking to their advisors (which I have already done, some much more helpful (scripps/usc) than others (charles drew).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
While I do appreciate the help with pre-med advising question...if anyone has any personalized advice for me after you saw grades/scores/academic history, specifically to whether I am in good standing for a Formal Post-Bacc - or if I should go the informal route - please chime in!
Thank you!

Hey, I am in the same spot, but I have yet to graduate. I can't really squeeze in most of the pre med stuff with my degree at UCLA I'm working on. The unit cap sucks.

Anyways, I'd avoid UCLA extension. You get a separate transcript, no priority and aren't considered a UCLA student. This is what I was told by someone I talked too. I'm not too sure about other programs as I just started looking. But a formal post bacc (career changer) shouldn't be more than two years, with some being one year.

Hey, I am in the same spot, but I have yet to graduate. I can't really squeeze in most of the pre med stuff with my degree at UCLA I'm working on. The unit cap sucks.

Anyways, I'd avoid UCLA extension. You get a separate transcript, no priority and aren't considered a UCLA student. This is what I was told by someone I talked too. I'm not too sure about other programs as I just started looking. But a formal post bacc (career changer) shouldn't be more than two years, with some being one year.

I see. UCLA extension night courses in my experience have been easy to get into, and had small class sizes. It allows me to work during the day to pay for the courses. Yes it is separate but in terms of the other option - doing a CC course - it is probably best to do UCLA extension.
I am definitely applying for a Formal Post-Bacc, but I am not optimistic about my chances of getting in.

Bump, I feel like the main concern have not been handled if anyone has input for Formal post-bacc competitiveness and what my backup plan should be in the mean time while waiting to apply/after application

1. pick a program
2. read that program's website, particularly the FAQ that talks about the "characteristics of students" ie GPA
3. find SDN postbac forum threads discussing that program, which are full-to-bustin' with students asking "what are my chances omg I'm going to die if I don't get in squeee?!?!?"
4. repeat