The Inaugural ATSU COM-Mesa Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any news from Touro Nevada?? Or have you decided to go with ATSU?

Waitlisted there.
Also waitlisted elsewhere.
Also upcoming interview.

So in terms of where I'm actually going to go, that depends on what options I have. You can't make an informed decision without all the information, after all. I did get my first-choice CHC at ATSU though, which could strongly influence my decision!

Members don't see this ad.

THis is not meant to exclude or alienate any one in the incoming ATSU Mesa class, but I am very interested in finding out the demographics of my potential future classmates. More specifically, how many other minorities are coming to ATSU? Some of you may not understand this, but it is an important factor for me in my decision. I come from a diverse background and very diverse community and I am looking for the same in my choice of schools. Granted, the overall mission and curriculum of ATSU strives to work with underserved populations it has been well documented that URMs/minority medical students are significantly more likely to end up practicing in underserved communities. And thus, my original question is posed. Any other URMs/minority students??
Hispanic:Eastwestn2grt

I am pretty sure our class will be more diversed than most medical schools because of the school's mission and their applicants target pool.
I am an URM (black) myself.

Hello, I just saw that this forum had opened, and like most everyones post that i've read i'm stoked to be going to ATSU-Mesa. I guess there is a running list, i'm going to be going to Seattle, WA (my #2 pick). Anyways i'll keep checking back in so hit me up if you want to. Peace

Members don't see this ad :)
ATSU-COMM CHC Sites 2008-2011:

Brooklyn, New York: rarekare, igtx, eastwestn2grt
Beaufort, South Carolina: hopefuldoc40, docmcdocerson
Troy, Alabama: CO2003
Milford, Ohio:
Flagstaff, Arizona: jfeyko, jacksonium78, gildas
Phoenix, Arizona: redcuilapa
Tucson, Arizona: rpinnell
Visalia, California: stringerbell, ifpx181, capucino123
Woodburn, Oregon: inthe415, gonnabeob
Seattle, Washington: builttorock, greenshirt, romadanny, emtech26
Waianae, Hawaii: dseattle, soccergrl03, md/do almost, v-lander, doctortravel

Hello, I just saw that this forum had opened, and like most everyones post that i've read i'm stoked to be going to ATSU-Mesa. I guess there is a running list, i'm going to be going to Seattle, WA (my #2 pick). Anyways i'll keep checking back in so hit me up if you want to. Peace

Hey fellow Seattle CHCer! Glad to hear from you. Were you an EMT (ED tech or ambulance)? I was an ED tech myself for 2 yrs.

ya I have been working as an EMT for 2 years now. I work on an ambulance. I was trying to get a job as an ED tech, but then got picked up with AMR. So where you from? i'm down here in so-cal

ya I have been working as an EMT for 2 years now. I work on an ambulance. I was trying to get a job as an ED tech, but then got picked up with AMR. So where you from? i'm down here in so-cal

I'm in the cornfields of the Midwest, very eager to move out West for a change of scenery. I applied to be an ambulance medic, but I couldn't lift enough. I got half way up the stairs with the stair-chair before my chicken-arms gave out. Luckily I managed to land an ED tech position shortly after that. It was a great experience. Definitely made me want to go into EM. Although, now that the field has become so popular, I'm worried it may be too competitive. I guess it's still too early in the game to tell.

We've got 4 out 10 of the Seattle crowd on SDN now. I hope we all survive the 3 yrs together w/ minimal drama.

THis is not meant to exclude or alienate any one in the incoming ATSU Mesa class, but I am very interested in finding out the demographics of my potential future classmates. More specifically, how many other minorities are coming to ATSU? Some of you may not understand this, but it is an important factor for me in my decision. I come from a diverse background and very diverse community and I am looking for the same in my choice of schools. Granted, the overall mission and curriculum of ATSU strives to work with underserved populations it has been well documented that URMs/minority medical students are significantly more likely to end up practicing in underserved communities. And thus, my original question is posed. Any other URMs/minority students??

Hispanic:Eastwestn2grt

i totally understand. when it comes to comparing schools, environment is a big factor. from what i've researched, osteo overall is less diverse than allo schools; my guesses are the lack of outreach programs, costs, and osteo not being as well known in the us and internationally. (i spoke to an outreach coordinator at azcom and she said medical school admissions are getting less diverse overall! but at least still more than dentistry-which needs to diversify too). with the class they want for atsu having a "required" desire to serve the underserved there may be a uniquely high proportion to where folks will end up, whether it be underserved socio-economically, "racially"/ethnically or a combo of both. i kinda hover the urm designation, but i am devoted to serve those that are not served, and/or often overlooked because of societal assumptions/stereotypes, and an overgeneralized classification. plus i want to do international work in developing countries and i believe my background, heritage, and experience has prepared me, or at least introduced me to the steps necessary to relate to and serve the underserved.

Filipino & Chinese: dseattle

oh and congrats to the new students! we should play a match the sdn-screenname to the person at the bbq. but it looks like the game may have just gotten easier, haha!

greenshirt, i have that fear too. i was talking to an allo msIV and he said he applied to 20 programs, and got into the one at uc davis. does anyone know much about combined residencies, specifically ones with er? i hear there is a rotating primary care one for peds/obgyn/im/family. is there er osteo residencies too? are they just as competitive?

i work as a radiology scheduler in our regional hospital in trauma, and i haven't really seen that many er specialized docs among the docs in this department. i think the attendings are at least er spec, but maybe its just my hospital. i'll update when i find out more about the non-er physicians working in er.

Hello guys,
Anyone planning on going to the Dinner thrown by the Admission's office on April 17th?

greenshirt, i have that fear too. i was talking to an allo msIV and he said he applied to 20 programs, and got into the one at uc davis. does anyone know much about combined residencies, specifically ones with er? i hear there is a rotating primary care one for peds/obgyn/im/family. is there er osteo residencies too? are they just as competitive?

i work as a radiology scheduler in our regional hospital in trauma, and i haven't really seen that many er specialized docs among the docs in this department. i think the attendings are at least er spec, but maybe its just my hospital. i'll update when i find out more about the non-er physicians working in er.

The EM residency didn't appear until the 1990s. Before that IM or FM docs would just come work in the ER, so you see a lot of them in ERs. Since there is a residency for EM now, I'm guessing that the days of non-EM docs in the ER is going to dwindle. I've heard of combined ER/IM residencies somewhere (might have been Osteo), but I don't know too much about them.

Since when has there been an Admissions dinner?

I dont consider myself a minority, but I have a hispanic/polish ethnicity

I'm in the cornfields of the Midwest, very eager to move out West for a change of scenery. I applied to be an ambulance medic, but I couldn't lift enough. I got half way up the stairs with the stair-chair before my chicken-arms gave out. Luckily I managed to land an ED tech position shortly after that. It was a great experience. Definitely made me want to go into EM. Although, now that the field has become so popular, I'm worried it may be too competitive. I guess it's still too early in the game to tell.

We've got 4 out 10 of the Seattle crowd on SDN now. I hope we all survive the 3 yrs together w/ minimal drama.

I think we will, i'm definately for the minimal drama. I just wish they would keep us more updated and informed of whats going on, but I talked with Joyce Haynie and she said they are just finalizing a lot of stuff, so hopefully soon. So you're a medic?

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont consider myself a minority, but I have a hispanic/polish ethnicity

You must be from Chicago. That's the only city on this planet that produces that combo w/ a high frequency. What generation Polish are you? (I'm off the boat).

Hello guys,
Anyone planning on going to the Dinner thrown by the Admission's office on April 17th?

Maybe they're just sending it out to AZ residents, b/c I doubt a lot of people would fly out just for dinner. I'm still dreading having to cough up the cash to fly in to pick out an apartment.

You must be from Chicago. That's the only city on this planet that produces that combo w/ a high frequency. What generation Polish are you? (I'm off the boat).

No i'm not from Chicago, but thats interesting though. I thought i was unique, but I guess not. I'm not sure how the generation thing works, but my great-grandparents came across, so I guess 3rd gen.

I believe they did send it out to only people that are living in the Phoenix metro area. In the email it said that now that I am located in the Phoenix area that they would like to invite me to dinner so I would assume they arent bothering inviting people from out of state.

No i'm not from Chicago, but thats interesting though. I thought i was unique, but I guess not. I'm not sure how the generation thing works, but my great-grandparents came across, so I guess 3rd gen.

Dang, I though I couldn't be wrong about that one. Whenever I run across that combo (which is not that often, so you still have some uniqueness) I'm usually right. Chicago's the Polish capitol of the world and like any big city, there's a big Hispanic population there as well. Statistically, the two groups are bound to mate sometime.

I think I might go to the dinner. Is anybody else going? Because if not, I probably won't; I'm not one for mexican food, unless it's Abuelo's.

joyce said she will be emailing the second packet as attachments with all the additional info within the week or so. i did get the computer information:

http://www.cdwg.com./shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1208114

ATSU has partnered with CDWG and Lenovo to provide the College of Osteopathic Medicine-Mesa required student computer. Since this computer comes loaded with the software needed for COM-Mesa classes, you must purchase your computer from CDWG.

Lenovo ThinkPad X60 Tablet with:
  • 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo Processor L2500 LV w/Centrino Duo Mobile Technology
  • 1GB RAM
  • 80GB hard drive
  • 10/100/1000 Ethernet
  • WiFi 802.11a/b/g
  • Fingerprint reader
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP Tablet PC 2005
  • 12.1" XGA display
  • Software needed for COM-Mesa classes

there some other lines with specific contact info but the email should be out soon (dont order till you get it). also, allow at least 6wks for delivery. i reccomend the 8cell battery with 7.5hrs battery life. i'm not sure if i really need the dock ($$) since i'll bring another computer. also there are some cool accessories at the lenovo site that might be good for the ms on the go!

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/notebooks/thinkpad/x-series/tablet/sitelet.html

ugh. so glad i have a very pretty--and very usable--mac. it kind of pains me to buy a computer that i won't use for ANYTHING other than school (and the rotations).

I wonder how much it weighs. I hope we get that info soon. I've been without a home computer for about 3 months since my Mac tragicaly died and I'm starting to miss having one.

Depth 10.5 in
Height 1.3 in
Weight 4.2 lbs
Width 10.8 in

*from CDW

tiny. yeah, school only, i guess its like a big expensive calculator then.

I think I might go to the dinner. Is anybody else going? Because if not, I probably won't; I'm not one for mexican food, unless it's Abuelo's.

That is why I am asking. If noone (from our class) is going then I won't bother.

Not looking forward to giving up my Toshiba tablet. It can be beat. I wish the school knew the real deal on Toshibas. Oh well.

Not looking forward to giving up my Toshiba tablet. It can be beat. I wish the school knew the real deal on Toshibas. Oh well.

I have a Gateway tablet, I have to say once you go to tablet you will feel like all other laptops and desktops are in the stone age ( MAcs included!!;) ) They are SOOOOO 20th century!

I checked out the website and I have to say I think this IBM is better than both Gateway, and Toshiba--I was not impressed by Toshiba when I looked at buying tablets last year. But this Lenovo looks pretty good--Just sucks that my tablet is less than 5 months young.

Im heading out to New York tomorrow to check out the Brooklyn CHC--one last call for any other Brooklyn CHCers who saw the site, and want to give a bit of input????Anyone, anyone?

I have to say I am leaning ATSU, so if this goes good, I think my decision will be made. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Just got the contact info from Joyce about the Brooklyn CHC. For others going to Brooklyn I am including a link because its pretty exciting how BIG this CHC actually is!! Very Exciting!!!

http://www.lmcmc.com/index.htm

:laugh: :thumbup:

Hello guys,
How long did it take the admission to process your deposits?

Hello everyone! I too was just recently accepted into the inaugural class and will be sent to the CHC in Hawaii. I have not yet received my acceptance packet as it is on the way but I will for sure be depositing the fee. Any questions feel free to ask and I look forward to meeting you all.

Hey, I just got accepted to ATSU-Mesa and I will be going there. I am originally from Chicago but attended Michigan State University. I am a nutrition major. Right now I am set for the CHC in South Carolina (I would prefer to change to the one in Flagstaff so I don't have to haul all of my stuff across the country again). I am moving with my boyfriend of a year and a half, so hopefully you all have some spouses or significant others as well so he does not feel too left out. I read about a barbecue, and that sounds like fun. Well, I am super excited about the school and from what I have read so far, it sounds like you all are as well. I hope to go into pediatrics, maybe neonatology or pediatric oncology - but not sure yet!

Hello everyone! I too was just recently accepted into the inaugural class and will be sent to the CHC in Hawaii. I have not yet received my acceptance packet as it is on the way but I will for sure be depositing the fee. Any questions feel free to ask and I look forward to meeting you all.

Congrats and welcome! Tell us about yourself when you get a chance.

ATSU-COMM CHC Sites 2008-2011:

Brooklyn, New York: rarekare, igtx, eastwestn2grt
Beaufort, South Carolina: hopefuldoc40, docmcdocerson, ducqui
Troy, Alabama: CO2003
Milford, Ohio:
Flagstaff, Arizona: jfeyko, jacksonium78, gildas
Phoenix, Arizona: redcuilapa
Tucson, Arizona: rpinnell
Visalia, California: stringerbell, ifpx181, capucino123
Woodburn, Oregon: inthe415, gonnabeob
Seattle, Washington: builttorock, greenshirt, romadanny, emtech26
Waianae, Hawaii: dseattle, soccergrl03, md/do almost, v-lander, doctortravel, vmi07

Im heading out to New York tomorrow to check out the Brooklyn CHC--one last call for any other Brooklyn CHCers who saw the site, and want to give a bit of input????Anyone, anyone?

I have to say I am leaning ATSU, so if this goes good, I think my decision will be made. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bummed since I was trying to save money and fly standby using my mums work benefits, but didnt get on the flight:thumbdown:

I was excited because the contact in Brooklyn had an exciting day planned for me today--

Tag along with one of the docs to a mortality/morbidity meeting, visit one of the off site family medical centers and then meet with the medical director.

But I was literally bumped off in the last minute because the original passengers--two elderly people--arrived at the designated departure time. So Brooklyn CHC will have to be seen at another time......Im sure this trip would have made my decision earlier--guess I should just rely on gut instinct which is leaning strongly towards ATSU--I got five days before my acceptance is due!!!!

Hello all,

I am currently a student at the Virginia Military Institute. I will be graduating in May and simultaneously be comissioning in the US Army. I plan on paying for medical school through the HPSP program and will be applying as soon as the acceptance letter arrives in the mail. My CHC is the station in HI and I am very excited about the entire program. Most likely I will focus on emergency medicine or possibly some sort of rehabilitative medicine. Any questions don't be afraid to ask. Anyone else going the HPSP route?

hola everyone,

so i was just taking a look at the link to the tablet we all must unfortunately buy ( i am really going to miss my macbook).

maybe I'm just missing something, but does the laptop that we are buying through our atsu affiliation come with a dvd/cd drive? i can't seem to actually see that in the specs...

i do see some type of accessory that includes it...

The ThinkPad X6 Tablet UltraBase is a simple, quick-attach solution that adds a wide array of expansion capabilities but is small enough to carry anywhere.

* Ultrabay Slim with available optical drive.
* 4 USB 2.0 Ports; parallel and serial ports.
* VGA output.
* Microphone input & headphone output.
* Stereo speakers.
* Ethernet and modem pass-through.
* Cable lock slot and key lock.

and there is another accessory that you would have to buy in order to burn dvds...i'm not a fan of that being separate...

any thoughts? am i just missing something? b/c if it doesn't have a cd/dvd drive that would be silly wouldn't it? thanks guys. ciao.

hola everyone,

so i was just taking a look at the link to the tablet we all must unfortunately buy ( i am really going to miss my macbook).

maybe I'm just missing something, but does the laptop that we are buying through our atsu affiliation come with a dvd/cd drive? i can't seem to actually see that in the specs...

i do see some type of accessory that includes it...

The ThinkPad X6 Tablet UltraBase is a simple, quick-attach solution that adds a wide array of expansion capabilities but is small enough to carry anywhere.

* Ultrabay Slim with available optical drive.
* 4 USB 2.0 Ports; parallel and serial ports.
* VGA output.
* Microphone input & headphone output.
* Stereo speakers.
* Ethernet and modem pass-through.
* Cable lock slot and key lock.

and there is another accessory that you would have to buy in order to burn dvds...i'm not a fan of that being separate...

any thoughts? am i just missing something? b/c if it doesn't have a cd/dvd drive that would be silly wouldn't it? thanks guys. ciao.

the "Ultrabay Slim with available optical drive" is the cd/dvd drive. it probably is a recordable drive, given that there is no such thing as floppy disks anymore.

a lot of the tablets don't have cd/dvd drives in them, in order to make them light and "small".

--still bummed out about having to use a pc.

also, i thought about going the hsps route via the navy, but am leaning more along the lines of not. from talking with the health officer recruiter, i got the impression that you can't choose your residency--it's based on the needs of the navy.

the "Ultrabay Slim with available optical drive" is the cd/dvd drive. it probably is a recordable drive, given that there is no such thing as floppy disks anymore.

a lot of the tablets don't have cd/dvd drives in them, in order to make them light and "small".

--still bummed out about having to use a pc.

also, i thought about going the hsps route via the navy, but am leaning more along the lines of not. from talking with the health officer recruiter, i got the impression that you can't choose your residency--it's based on the needs of the navy.

I am still very interested in applying for an NHSC scholarship program, and hope the school can get them to allow us to be included for next years scholarships--which they mentioned in my interview day that they were going to try and get instated for next year. We are the perfect candidates since we will already be IN underserved CHC.

i also considered the HPSP route to pay for med school. I also did not like the idea of not being able to choose your residency. Secondly, growing up with a military father, I have come to realize that me and the military lie on opposite spectrums politically, philosophically, etc. But best of luck in your endeavors:thumbup:

I am still very interested in applying for an NHSC scholarship program, and hope the school can get them to allow us to be included for next years scholarships--which they mentioned in my interview day that they were going to try and get instated for next year. We are the perfect candidates since we will already be IN underserved CHC.

i also considered the HPSP route to pay for med school. I also did not like the idea of not being able to choose your residency. Secondly, growing up with a military father, I have come to realize that me and the military lie on opposite spectrums politically, philosophically, etc. But best of luck in your endeavors:thumbup:

Yeah, I was very interested in the NHSC for that same reason. However, as a native of Arizona, I feel my chances might be pretty strong with the Arizona Medical Student Loan. So I am going to try that this year; if I don't get it, I'll pray that they can qualify the school for the NHSC for next year and beyond.

I remember Joyce saying that we can't qualify for NHSC until the school becomes fully accredited, which won't be until we graduate. I think what they're trying to arrange for us is loan repayment through NHSC.

I remember Joyce saying that we can't qualify for NHSC until the school becomes fully accredited, which won't be until we graduate. I think what they're trying to arrange for us is loan repayment through NHSC.

But I also remember in the financial aid discussion that the dental school was able to get the graduation requirement waived and they were able to receive the NHSC. I recently asked about whether we were going to receive that same possibility and they said that they are working on it. I figure, if they could waive it for one school they would be able to waive it for another school (all within the same university).

When I was there for an interview we asked one of the PT students what the dress was and she said she wasnt positive what it would be for us but said that the dental school was business casual and whenever there was anatomy lab it was just scrubs for the day. She said she would think it would probably be similar to the dental school but she wasnt sure

For anyone interested in getting the docking station for our tablets I called CDWG since the price wasn't listed and they are only knocking a few bucks off, our price is $191. Also, DocMcDoc and Ducqui, do either one of you have any info/weblink about the CHC facilities? I have emailed Joyce a few times trying to get that info and I still haven't heard back form her.

I have emailed Joyce a few times trying to get that info and I still haven't heard back form her.

Yeah, I e-mailed Joyce on Wednesday regarding a very serious matter and she still hasn't got back to me as of this afternoon. They must be really busy over there putting the rest of the class together. I'm glad I'm not the only one she hasn't responded to....I was getting paranoid I might have said the wrong thing in my e-mail.

Yeah, I e-mailed Joyce on Wednesday regarding a very serious matter and she still hasn't got back to me as of this afternoon. They must be really busy over there putting the rest of the class together. I'm glad I'm not the only one she hasn't responded to....I was getting paranoid I might have said the wrong thing in my e-mail.
sadly, i've been paranoid during this whole interim time between getting accepted and starting school. like they're going to call me up and say, "oh we're sorry, but we actually meant to accept a different so-and-so." or something like that.

anyways.

i just rsvp'ed for the dinner. anybody else coming?

sadly, i've been paranoid during this whole interim time between getting accepted and starting school. like they're going to call me up and say, "oh we're sorry, but we actually meant to accept a different so-and-so." or something like that.

Nah, you worked hard and you deserve your acceptance. I, unfortunately, did somehting stupid that might cause a recision of my acceptance. I probably won't know for another week or so whether that's the case. I'm hoping it's not going to be a big deal, but you never know. It's going to be a tough week; I'll probably end up w/ stomach ulcers. Keep your fingers crossed for me, everybody.

I realize that for alot of people the HPSP isn't the most reasonable choice but I have already acrued 8 years of service from my undergrad Army scholarship so I just figured I'd have the Army pay for this too and they pay for all supplies and also a monthly stipend :p But you should all be aware that one of the staff members told me that HPSP can make you more competitive for residencies so I don't know about not being able to choose your residency... where did you hear you are forced when it comes to residencies? Anyways GreenShirt good luck man. Is it something you did legally? Would you mind explaining? *Crosses fingers*...