The Inaugural ATSU COM-Mesa Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they've hired more faculty or if the Deans and Provosts are going to teach class? According to the SOMA page, there's only 2 profs and ones for OMM. I can't imagine that Standley is going to teach us everything. Did they mention anything along those lines at the dinner?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone rented or looked at any of the apartments on the list they sent us w/ the admissions packet? I'm trying to pick an apartment that's in a safe neighborhood w/out going down there to check it out, but I keep hearing warnings about how the good and bad neighborhoods are interspersed. I remember reading on the ATSU portal that NW of campus is bad. Can anyone confirm that?

So, I got my admissions packet from ATSU the other day, and it says that I am missing prerequisites in gen. chem and physics. I took AP Chemistry and AP Physics, thus my university gave me credit hours for general chemistry and physics and thus I didn't have to take it in college. Most schools I have looked at have not had a problem with my AP classes. However, I have not been able to get in contact with ATSU regarding their policy/documentation necessary to get credit for the prereqs. I've tried calling several times and left messages with no response, and my money is due next Tuesday. Obviously today being an interview day I doubt I will hear anything today or tomorrow, so this is rather urgent. I really want to attend but I need to make sure that these classes will be counted. If anyone knows anything could you please let me know. Thanks.

I took AP Chem and my school gave me credit, so just make sure that your school did that(which it sounds like they did). I talked to Joyce about it and we will need to send a final transcript to them before classes start, so as long as that is clear in your transcript there shouldn't be a problem(at least thats what she told me). AACOMAS doesn't indicate which AP classes you took so ya its unclear for awhile, but I wouldn't sweat it, but still try and contact ATSU for the final say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they've hired more faculty or if the Deans and Provosts are going to teach class? According to the SOMA page, there's only 2 profs and ones for OMM. I can't imagine that Standley is going to teach us everything. Did they mention anything along those lines at the dinner?

she said they did hire a few more faculty and there are a few more available. she said by the time we start, all the empty offices they used for the interviews will be filled.

Has anyone rented or looked at any of the apartments on the list they sent us w/ the admissions packet? I'm trying to pick an apartment that's in a safe neighborhood w/out going down there to check it out, but I keep hearing warnings about how the good and bad neighborhoods are interspersed. I remember reading on the ATSU portal that NW of campus is bad. Can anyone confirm that?

i live nw of campus and i like it. but it is kind of rough. there are several websites where you can check on apartment ratings and where people who currently, or used to live there can post their reviews. just remember, not many people are pleased with their apartments, and people are more often going to post bad reviews than good reviews when reviewing anything.

So I have a question for those of you priveleged to have already received all that portal login, academic calendar, and computer info stuff - can someone please post or PM me the academic calendar? I'm really curious as to when our breaks are, especially during the transition time to the CHCs. I'm one of those that have sent in my required deposits but have yet to receive this information. Thanks!

So I have a question for those of you priveleged to have already received all that portal login, academic calendar, and computer info stuff - can someone please post or PM me the academic calendar? I'm really curious as to when our breaks are, especially during the transition time to the CHCs. I'm one of those that have sent in my required deposits but have yet to receive this information. Thanks!

They sent this e-mail to our @atsu.edu accounts on the my atsu portal. (I just came across it on Friday...wish they had warned us they were switching to those acccoutns)

They sent this e-mail to our @atsu.edu accounts on the my atsu portal. (I just came across it on Friday...wish they had warned us they were switching to those acccoutns)

there is a way to setup your atsu.edu email to forward to your frequently used email. just scour the options in the atsu email page.

Nevermind - I just logged into my g-mail (which unfortunately I never use) and found at least 3 of Joyce's emails. I wonder how they even got that email? Looks like everything I thought I was missing is there.

Just looked at the calendar - yikes, only 2 days for Thanksgiving and a week and a half or so for Christmas?! Ouch. I do like the 1 month+ we have off at the end of yr 1, though.

Just looked at the calendar - yikes, only 2 days for Thanksgiving and a week and a half or so for Christmas?! Ouch. I do like the 1 month+ we have off at the end of yr 1, though.

Yup, the days of lots of "Vacay" are dwindiling. I was seriously looking into the Touros during my search b/c they get lots of vacation days a year since they run on a Judaic calender. It's going to be aweful after 2nd year when we start going year round.

Yeah, but from my experience with lots of 3rd and 4th yr. friends, just about any of them will tell you the rotation years are a lot more enjoyable than the didactic years. Even though I think our first two years will be better than most places, my guess is it'll be true even for us.

SOMA gurus...

Glad to see you are all going crazy on here.

I've posted here a while back, so, I just wanted to let you know what is happening with my website.

I have copied all of the pertinent information from my old site to the new and trying to be amazing atsudo.org. I made this change with ya'll in mind. I've been so concerned about how well you will all integrate at SOMA, since there is no previous class to offer guiding assistance.

What does this mean? On my site you will have access to all the wikis that have been made over the last year for various classes. Granted, this isn't going to do squat for your learning, however, it will be helpful to see what books you might find useful vs. useless.

The website has been a year in development for KCOM students, so, there is PLENTY of room for growth on the SOMA side. It is wiki based, meaning once you are registered as a member of the site, you can add information. There are many of you that have learned and gathered information about the school and how things are going to run...it would be nice if you shared that info with others (trust me, there are a number of incoming students that will be clueless). Some ideas could be to update the computer section of the SOMA incoming students wiki with info shared here. Also, maybe some good references for finding housing in Mesa. Moving truck info. Those types of things.

I haven't copied over the computer support section from my old site...I'll do that after June 8th (when I take COMLEX). That will be very useful for you guys, especially since you are using tablets.

More importantly, I'm developing the ATSU toolbar so that it is just that...useful for KCOM and SOMA (right now, KCOM students use it on average 2500 times a day). This will give direct access to the old exams from KCOM as well as our study guides. Since the school is also requiring you to buy tablets, you will be taking notes on them, which is another plus, since this will give you 1 click access to the notes (currently, you have to log into the portal, then click on no less than 7 links to get to the notes).

Also, you will have 1 click access to the Evidence Based Medicine tools that we use all the time (and you guys will use 10 times more, since you will be PBL).

You can download the toolbar from my site.

So, go ahead and visit my site. Register to be a member (You MUST be an ATSU student, so use your ATSU email account so that I can verify you are a student). You will join the other 375 KCOM students that are registered on it.

Don't PM me, since I visit this site once a month or so. Go to my site and click on the "contact me" button. That will get to me immediately.

I'm the tablet ringleader at KCOM (and probably the reason you were all required to buy tablets). Hopefully I'll be able to help you all transition a little easier.

erik

btw, I'm a second year KCOM student, if you didn't already know...

I interviewed 4/12 and got the happy call from Joyce the following Monday. Unfortunately, I have yet to receive my packet--what's in it, anyway?--so I don't know how much to pay or where to send payment. Awaiting further word from Joyce. Ah well--as someone else said, freaking out won't help, so I've spent the past week trying to catch up to this thread.

My path to med school has been circuitous. I got my BA in English in '87 (I'll be the geezer of our class), did technical writing for seven years, then segued into massage therapy. My wife and I own a clinic in Evanston, IL. I got into osteopathic medicine because my neuromuscular therapy teacher often mentioned the term osteopathy when instructing us in certain techniques. When I found out what it meant, my destiny became clear. I'd been considering chiropractic, but osteopathic medicine is that and way more. But yeah, I'm going to be insanely into OMM, and I avoided DO schools that seemed to give short shrift to OMM. CCOM, for example, is conveniently located here in IL, but they couldn't seem to care less about OMM, from what I could tell. KCOM was a strong candidate until I visited the school and saw that my wife would find it nearly impossible to earn a living there.

Who is the OMM instructor? He/she will be my surrogate dad/mom.

I'll be getting by on loans all the way, as I'm a year too old for the military. Besides, I have a problem with authoritah. :cool:

Housing? No idea yet. Something within biking distance of campus would be nice, as my wife and I share a car. Otherwise, I'll have to get a scooter and J.D. it.

Year-round schooling is no biggie to me. Working for myself, I rarely take a day off anyway.

I've been assigned to Milford (hi Jenny10!). It was my seventh or so choice, as I'm way ready to escape from the clutches of the Midwest, but oh well--crappy weather will just make it easier to study, eh? Milford, the Amish CHC, will sure be a culture shock for this city boy, though; I mean, just how many Whole Foods supermarkets or coffee shops with wi-fi could Milford possibly have within walking distance of my apartment? What about cell-phone reception?

I'll probably U-Haul it out to Mesa (and am very much looking forward to the cross-country drive). Anyone interested in helping each other unload? It's the Amish way!

I'll be MVP at the BBQ. My cinnamon cream cheese brownies have won awards, and my three-day vegan baked beans are the faves of my buddy's family, who are bigshots in the meat-brokering biz.

I don't trust that med specialty aptitude test either: it recommends pediatrics for me, but I have a very W.C. Fields attitude toward kids.

I like the name ATSU-SOMA, for the Greco-Latin pun. Still, COMA would have been so inappropriate, it would have been perfect!

I'm excited to learn about dentistry, as some of my massage therapy for TMJ dysfunction involves intra-oral work. But screw the cosmetic procedures, like bleaching--just the health stuff, please.

Members don't see this ad :)
Brooklyn, New York: rarekare, igtx, eastwestn2grt
Beaufort, South Carolina: hopefuldoc40, docmcdocerson, ducqui
Troy, Alabama: CO2003
Milford, Ohio: Xoynx, jenny10
Flagstaff, Arizona: jfeyko, jacksonium78, gildas
Phoenix, Arizona: redcuilapa
Tucson, Arizona: rpinnell
Visalia, California: stringerbell, ifpx181, capucino123
Woodburn, Oregon: inthe415, gonnabeob
Seattle, Washington: builttorock, greenshirt, romadanny, emtech26, HutchD
Waianae, Hawaii: dseattle, soccergrl03, md/do almost, v-lander, doctortravel, vmi07

I'm just wondering if all the people listed in the above post have actually sent in their deposite (i.e. are actually committed to attending SOMA)? I know I have:thumbup:.

I'm just wondering if all the people listed in the above post have actually sent in their deposite (i.e. are actually committed to attending SOMA)? I know I have:thumbup:.

I've sent in my first two deposits. :)
I would gather that, at this point, if they haven't sent in their deposits, or made arrangements with the school, that their spot has now opened up and is being offered to someone else.

Just found out...:D

Tucson, Arizona: rpinnell, aberkovi
Woodburn, Oregon: inthe415, gonnabeob
Waianae, Hawaii: dseattle, soccergrl03, md/do almost, v-lander, doctortravel, vmi07

congrats to all of the most recent acceptances. welcome to the club!

Anyone remember the name of the fitness club just down the road from campus that we're getting memberships to?

Anyone remember the name of the fitness club just down the road from campus that we're getting memberships to?

I dont remember hearing anything about this! I was wondering if I would have 2 fork over $$ for the Y or someplace.

BTW, did others get their username + password for the Atsu portal from the "computer guys" as mentioned by Joyce. Still haven't heard from them.

Well, I do believe they said that we pay $25 and the school pays for the rest of the yearly membership. If you know anything about the weight ATSU puts on students being healthy in all aspects of life, this is definitely a priority for them. I'm just sad we don't have our own fitness facility on campus. The one at KCOM is a blast - it's great to mingle and exercise with fellow students after long days in class. I guess we'll just have to take over the club we're getting memberships to (so which one is it?!).

I forget what the fitness club is called, but I worked out there after my interview and it is very nice. I've been to a lot of gyms, and this one is great.

I don't know about everybody else - but I've sent in my deposit. Have not got my portal e-mail yet - how soon after paying should I receive that and all?
All I have left to take care of is my loans (has anyone received this info yet?) and my prereqs (AP credit - just need to get it approved).
Looking forward to meeting you all!

Have not got my portal e-mail yet - how soon after paying should I receive that and all?

Best thing to do is to email the help desk...helpdesk at ATSU dot edu.

cheers :)

Hello all -

I just got my phone call on Friday and am enthusiastically joining your ranks (despite losing my deposit from another school)! I'm coming from Berkeley, CA and absolutely *love* Arizona. In regards to sports, I play ice hockey and cycle.

Looking forward to meeting you all - let's do that BBQ before school starts! I'm not sure when I'll head down to Phoenix...can someone please recommend a rental agent? I'm leaning towards renting a house so I can finally have a dog again!

Oh yes...any other MPHers out there?

Tucson, Arizona: rpinnell, aberkovi
Woodburn, Oregon: inthe415, gonnabeob, oskibear

I just got my phone call on Friday and am enthusiastically joining your ranks (despite losing my deposit from another school)! I'm coming from Berkeley, CA and absolutely *love* Arizona.

GO BEARS!!

I'm an old blue myself. Glad to have you aboard.
May I ask what school you declined to come to SOMA?

YOU CAN'T STOP MARSHAWN!

Alright! Always nice to find another Golden Bear!

I let a couple other DO schools pass but really only lost my deposit at USC. I want to work with Hispanics (which I can get at USC) and am a HUGE believer in OMM (which I cannot get at ANY MD school)!

Just wondering if anyone has input on the housing situation in Mesa. Renting a house sounds fun, especially with other people from this group, but I'm a really light sleeper, so that might not work. Besides, I need a place for both my wife and me.

After my interview, I drove around the neighborhood and found the Sandbridge apartments just down the street. Very nice-looking and pretty cheap, which made me nervous, but then I live in an area where all real estate is overpriced, so I don't know what a normal price might be. Anyway, the Sandbridge has only average ratings on the Web, partly due to the noise levels there.

Wow, for some reason I haven't been getting those emails when there are new responses to this thread. Congrats to the new acceptees! In addition to the resources provided for the school, here's links to the rental sites I've been using lately during my search. Some are for Gilbert, some for Gilbert and Mesa, and some for all over the place. If you haven't googled this valley, try it. You're going to find that there's no shortage of housing.

http://www.rentalhouses.com/search_results.php?state=AZ&city=Gilbert&searchnew=1&step=last

http://www.rentalhouses.com/search_results.php?state=AZ&city=Mesa&searchnew=1&step=last

http://www.homerentalads.com/category_list.cfm?state=AZ&city=GILBERT

http://www.behomes.com/homes_evalley.php?SubNav=Homes&evalley=On

http://www.desertwide.com/rentsum.lasso

http://ahouseisbetter.com/index.php?price-min=&price-max=&city%5B%5D=Apache+Junction&city%5B%5D=Gilbert&city%5B%5D=Mesa&city%5B%5D=Queen+Creek&sq_feet-min=&sq_feet-max=&address%5B%5D=&searchtext=&action=searchresults&pclass%5B%5D=

i found this on the AZCOM '11 forum from rhulazcom
*and congrats to the new students on the forum

icon1.gif
Moving Advice
Automobile: One thing that makes the heat more bearable is getting your car windows tinted. I just had ceramic tint put on my car and I feel dumb for not doing it earlier and I have lived here nearly 10 years. It makes a big difference. My car is never hot when I enter it. It really keeps you cool. Ceramic tint is more expensive but regular tint is pretty affordable and works well too. However, if you or another family member will be doing a lot of driving, I highly recommend the ceramic tint. If you and several friends get it, they will offer you a significant discount on the tint.

Also, I highly recommend getting front glass coverage on your automobile insurance. It's really dry and hot here which leads to more cracked windshields. I have lived here since 98' and I've had to replace 3 windshields. All 3 of those were due to a small pebble or stone hitting my windshield on the freeway which later led to a crack.

Utilities: When you are setting up your utilities, make sure to be placed on the energy saver plan with the electric company. Your AC bill in the summer will be expensive. However, these companies have rate plans that charge more during the day and less at night. I saved about $60 off my electric bill when I switched to that plan. Do your laundry at night and keep your thermostat at 80 during the day when you aren't there. APS doesn't advertise it so you have to request being placed on it. And even then, there is a waitlist so they usually can't get someone to come to your place and set you up on the plan for a month, so make sure you do so when you first arrive.

Apartments: Lastly, check out apartmentratings.com and talk to people before moving into any apartment here. A lot of apartments may look really nice and have really impressive leasing offices but that doesn't mean anything. For example, I have a close friend who lived at Sage Stone last year and he was having issues with scorpions. You would never get that impression about Sage Stone by walking into their leasing office or looking at the apartment from the outside.

Also, don't be afraid to negotiate prices that are significantly lower than what they have listed. These leasing agents are paid on commission so they can negotiate prices. They will make it seem like the prices are fixed or that there is so much demand that they don't have to offer you a deal but they are just playing the game. They will offer you a school discount, a free month and the waiving of "administration" fees and try to convince you that they are treating you special. However, they offer this to everyone so ask for another $100 off rent....in the nicest way possible. :)

Buying a Home/Condo- My wife and I just bought a home here and so I learned a lot of things I wished I had known about earlier. It might be a sellers market nationwide but Arizona's real estate market hasn't slowed down that much. There is still a lot of competition for homes that were built in the last 10 years. Expect multiple offers on any decent home around campus. You can improve your odds of successfully negotiating and winning a bid on a home. Before hiring a realtor, drive around the neighborhoods you might be interested in. There are a lot of for-sale-by-owner homes. You will be able to negotiate a better deal if you contact these owners directly versus going through a realtor. Also, you are likely to get a home if you contact the realtor listing the home you are interested in because that realtor doesn't have to split his or her commission because you aren't represented by anyone. The listing agent will be much more inclined to sell to you versus someone else who is represented by a realtor.

Wow thanks folks...those links and suggestions are quite useful. So much for the Windemere...

i found this on the AZCOM '11 forum from rhulazcom

Apartments: Lastly, check out apartmentratings.com and talk to people before moving into any apartment here. A lot of apartments may look really nice and have really impressive leasing offices but that doesn't mean anything. For example, I have a close friend who lived at Sage Stone last year and he was having issues with scorpions. You would never get that impression about Sage Stone by walking into their leasing office or looking at the apartment from the outside.

Scorpions...EEEEEEKKK! Can buildings be sprayed to repel scorpions, like you can do with spiders and bugs, or do you just have to pick an area were they don't live?

You just have to be lucky and pick a place they dont live. Unfortunately in mesa since it is all farely new construction out that way there are probably a decent chance of seeing a scorpion. Though I have lived in Phoenix most of my life and have only seen a total of 3 in my house.
I also got another email that my computer shipped today so I guess it doesnt take the 6 weeks like they said it would.

...I also got another email that my computer shipped today so I guess it doesnt take the 6 weeks like they said it would.

So how long did it take?

I believe I ordered it about a week and a half ago

I haven't ordered mine yet but I thought I'd add it to the cart just for fun and it came out to $2300! Didn't someone a while back say theirs was only $1950 or so?

Quick question...are you required to buy that tablet (the lenovo)? I ask, because the university has a relationship with CDWG and it seemed a little odd that they required you to purchase that model specifically as opposed to just buying a tablet. At the same time, it makes great sense from the support standpoint, as you will all have the same specs.

As you are all getting the tablets, you will be using OneNote 2007. Don't use gobinder...it sucks compared to OneNote 2007. I have made some videos for OneNote users that will help you learn the program (with many more to come, as soon as I'm done with COMLEX in June). You can view them here.

If you have any questions about tablets, just go to http://www.atsudo.org and submit a forum post. You will get answers from current KCOM students that use tablets every day.

You will need to sign up for an account, so use your ATSU email account to sign up so I can verify you are an ATSU student.

I haven't ordered mine yet but I thought I'd add it to the cart just for fun and it came out to $2300! Didn't someone a while back say theirs was only $1950 or so?

Did you make sure to use the link that gives you the school discount? I know someone had it somewhere on the forums.

Quick question...are you required to buy that tablet (the lenovo)? I ask, because the university has a relationship with CDWG and it seemed a little odd that they required you to purchase that model specifically as opposed to just buying a tablet. At the same time, it makes great sense from the support standpoint, as you will all have the same specs.

Yup, we have to buy that tablet from the link provided to us to CDWG. It is for the support reason you pointed out as well as for the reason that it comes preloaded with the software we'll be using for our classes.

I guess there was an issue w/ the web site before. I would recommend you to try again and if it does not give you the discount, I would call them.

Yup...just confirmed your requirement to purchase the lenovo. If you can't get the discount online, then, call the help desk (660) 626-2200 and ask them for help.

V-lander...have you thought about selling your toshiba to an incoming KCOM student? Since they don't have any of those requirements (but many will be purchasing tablets), it seems like a logical place to go. Also, I already know a member of 2010 that wants a used tablet.

Yup...just confirmed your requirement to purchase the lenovo. If you can't get the discount online, then, call the help desk (660) 626-2200 and ask them for help.

V-lander...have you thought about selling your toshiba to an incoming KCOM student? Since they don't have any of those requirements (but many will be purchasing tablets), it seems like a logical place to go. Also, I already know a member of 2010 that wants a used tablet.

Yeah, I probably will sell it (drenched in my tears - I love this thing!). It's loaded with other stuff, too, so when I do sell it, someone's getting some great add-ons (Microsoft Office, Adobe CS2, Roxio Videowave 7 Pro are some installed stuff that come to mind). Not to mention its speed and DVD burner.

Hey everyone, I just found out about this forum and figured I should say hi...Hi. Anyways I will be coming from San Diego, cannot wait for a change of scenery, and my CHC for years 2-4 will be Visilia, CA.

I also had a question for all of you computer geniuses out there...what are the advantages to having a docking station for the lenovo tablet pc? Besides having additional ports, why should I consider purchasing a docking station. Although I have already purchased the required tablet pc, and for anyone who is interested it came out to be $2,000.97 (this includes a tablet sleeve, tax and shipping), but I am wondering if I should purchase the docking station.

Anyways, if anyone can shed some light on this it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

...I will be coming from San Diego, cannot wait for a change of scenery....

Unpossible! If I had nigh-infinite wealth, I'd have one home in Edinburgh and the other in San Diego.

Hey everyone, I just found out about this forum and figured I should say hi...Hi. Anyways I will be coming from San Diego, cannot wait for a change of scenery, and my CHC for years 2-4 will be Visilia, CA.
I also had a question for all of you computer geniuses out there...what are the advantages to having a docking station for the lenovo tablet pc?

Good to hear from another Visalia-er! (That's not much of a word, wow.)
I'm from San Jose, myself, went to Berkeley for undergrad.
Welcome to the class!

As far as a docking station, I don't plan to buy one (I will probably have both the tablet and my desktop computer with me.) But as far as a docking station is concerned, sure, the additional ports are a good thing, but not totally necessary. I would imagine the biggest advantage is the easy access to your peripherals (i.e., if you leave a monitor attached to your docking station, and a printer, and a real mouse, etc), you can can connect and disconnect on the fly. Kind of depends on your priorities, as far as functionality and usage.

welcome new students....though technically we are all still new haha, so welcome ourselves? it seems as if most people are bringing computers with them already, so i suggested that a dock isn't that necessary. but it depends what you want to do with it. if its the only comp you are bringing then the dock doesn't sound that bad, i just didn't really want to carry the whole thing around if i wanted to use just the drive. anyway, overall breakdown:

dock + drives = $350+
external drive = $240

both with discount.

cool, i picked up the sleeve also, my sister thinks it is dorky but whatever.

Things you need to know about a docking station...

That docking station is slicker than snot. It has a massive battery in it, AND, the optical drive is included. Outside of that, it is not really that wonderful.

Things non-computer people don't think about that computer geeks like me come up with...

1. If you need to reinstall your operating system for whatever reason, you are pretty much up a creek without a drive (there are ways around this). This isn't a problem while you are on-campus, but, upon leaving campus, the help desk won't be at your fingers for support.

2. You guys are gonna use the netter CD like crazy and do screen clippings. No CD drive? TOO BAD! There are ways to copy a CD to your hard drive so that you don't need the CD-ROM, but, this could be considered illegal.

3. Some external optical drives are not "bootable". Meaning, if you need to install an OS in DOS with the external drive...too bad! Ask your vendor if the external drive is bootable (meaning, the drivers for the drive are already stored in the computer's BIOS).

IMHO...I hate optical drives and would prefer that my tablet didn't have one. I only want it for when I install software or my OS. So, teh lenovo is pretty sweet like this. I wouldn't buy the dock if I could get a bootable external optical.

Did I lose anybody? sorry...

dock + drives = $350+
external drive = $240

both with discount.

Can you buy the external drive separate? When I looked at the website it seemed that the drive only worked thru the dock, but I probably misunderstood. Also, can you get cheaper external drives at Best Buy?

I have made some videos that will show you how to do three things:

1. How to forward your ATSU email to another email account (such as gmail)

2. How to download the class notes using the portal

3. How to download the class notes using the toolbar.

You can find the videos here:

for the downloading of notes:
here

for the email forwarding:

here

Can you buy the external drive separate? When I looked at the website it seemed that the drive only worked thru the dock, but I probably misunderstood. Also, can you get cheaper external drives at Best Buy?

Yes you can. See my previous post about bootable devices. That is the only thing you want to watch out for. However, those USB DVD drives are so much cheaper than a docking station (or the CDWG provided DVD drive).