The Official 01/27/2012 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sutton

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Test Date.: Friday, January 27, 2012
.Exam Start Time.: 8 a.m.
.Registration Opens.: October 12, 2011
.Tentative.. Score Release Date.: February 28, 2012
.After 5 p.m. ET.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Same here ....

I was literally contemplating about registering for the next available test soon after I came out of the test center. I felt so bad for the whole day, and days after...Hopefully our outcomes turn out like those people that felt that way but ended up doing OK. *Prays*

Man I feel totally out of the loop here because even though I thought the 27th was hard, I had pretty bad MCAT practice scores to begin with on all the AAMC's.

I didn't think it was too bad but i was having a bad day ... woke up in the middle of the night and had a tough time sleeping on the extremely soft bed in the hotel. Woke up and had neck/back pain with a headache. Aspirin = my savior :cool:
I thought the PS was a little different from aamc stuff (i just had 2 mins left at the end, where normally i have ~10 left), the VR is just luck for me, and the bio was nothing different (Had plenty of time). I'm hoping for >=34... the wait is killing me :corny:

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here ....

I was literally contemplating about registering for the next available test soon after I came out of the test center. I felt so bad for the whole day, and days after...Hopefully our outcomes turn out like those people that felt that way but ended up doing OK. *Prays*

Uhh same here! I held off though. Going to see my score before I take it over :(

OK, so I watched a documentary last night on Netflix called "The Secret" (anybody seen it?), and realized we are all going about this the wrong way. The key is to envision a 37+ MCAT score, say to ourselves 'I am so happy I have a 37 MCAT, and will now be going to the med school of my dreams'. If we do this, it will surely come to pass, lol. OK, there is more to it than this, but I thought this documentary made some good points. There was even a doc on there (Ben Johnson) who was an MD, DO and NMD! He claims to have been cured from Lou Gehrig's disease through using a method known as the 'Healing Codes'. I found it quite interesting...

I didn't think it was too bad but i was having a bad day ... woke up in the middle of the night and had a tough time sleeping on the extremely soft bed in the hotel. Woke up and had neck/back pain with a headache. Aspirin = my savior :cool:
I thought the PS was a little different from aamc stuff (i just had 2 mins left at the end, where normally i have ~10 left), the VR is just luck for me, and the bio was nothing different (Had plenty of time). I'm hoping for >=34... the wait is killing me :corny:

tell me about it, I couldn't fall asleep the night before (also was staying in hotel), so I was up until 12 am doing MCAT problems. Then, I woke up at 5 am, and figured what the heck, might as well do some more review problems. PS was definitely the hardest section for me. I actually ran out of time and had to guess on the last 2 or 3 questions :(. Verbal and BS seemed OK though.

tell me about it, I couldn't fall asleep the night before (also was staying in hotel), so I was up until 12 am doing MCAT problems. Then, I woke up at 5 am, and figured what the heck, might as well do some more review problems. PS was definitely the hardest section for me. I actually ran out of time and had to guess on the last 2 or 3 questions :(. Verbal and BS seemed OK though.

I never do good if I don't get enough sleep... learned that in my engineering classes (no sleep = C+, sleep = highest score). I went to bed at 8 and probably got ~ 7hrs, which was okay but not what i wanted. Surprisingly, I actually didn't feel nervous (but my body might have).
I'm pretty busy with classes and probably gonna start working out again. Hopefully that'll kill enough time

I never do good if I don't get enough sleep... learned that in my engineering classes (no sleep = C+, sleep = highest score). I went to bed at 8 and probably got ~ 7hrs, which was okay but not what i wanted. Surprisingly, I actually didn't feel nervous (but my body might have).
I'm pretty busy with classes and probably gonna start working out again. Hopefully that'll kill enough time
I'm always amazed by people that can do without sleep. For me, exam = sleep early. Aww...it's nice to be busy with classes. At least that puts MCAT/ med sch off your mind for a while. Now that I'm done with school, MCAT/Med sch is the only thing on my mind....Urgh!

:laugh: I know how you feel. I have a stack in my basement. Not sure if I should sell them, burn them, or keep them in remembrance of the hard work. :D

I have the same unresolved relationship with all the MCAT prep materials that remains scattered around my study. I try to resist the temptation to fantasize about the things I would do to them once I find out that I don't need them anymore. It could be bad luck.

And thanks for this thread everyone. I thought I was alone in thinking the Physical Sciences section was a bit odd... I am really hoping this curve you speak of exists and will take effect, because I shall need it.

I have the same unresolved relationship with all the MCAT prep materials that remains scattered around my study. I try to resist the temptation to fantasize about the things I would do to them once I find out that I don't need them anymore. It could be bad luck.

And thanks for this thread everyone. I thought I was alone in thinking the Physical Sciences section was a bit odd... I am really hoping this curve you speak of exists and will take effect, because I shall need it.

Personally, I can't wait to give them away - I'm only too happy to introduce unsuspecting Pre-Meds to the amazingness that is TBR and to get them out of my sight/existence.

Hey,

I take my MCAT in april, and have been reading how hard the BS section was on your guys test. Had a few questions:
1) What was hard about this section?
2) Seeing how this section has developed into a harder section than previous years, what can I do now while I have some time to help me on this section?

Please let me know. THANKS!

I thought that the BS section was fair. It felt a bit more theoretical/abstract than the AAMC practice exams. Overall though, I felt I could easily eliminate 2 choices on most problems and feel fairly confident in my answers.

As so many others have posted, the PS section is what left me feeling uneasy. The few calculation-based questions were simple and straightforward. However, there were so many questions that seemingly relied on a deeper understanding of the topics than the practice exams did. It seemed like I was having my theoretical understanding prodded by a PhD level expert. Although this section was challenging, I did my best to eliminate bad choices and hopefully the curve (this is very real) will reflect my preparation.

...However, there were so many questions that seemingly relied on a deeper understanding of the topics than the practice exams did. It seemed like I was having my theoretical understanding prodded by a PhD level expert. Although this section was challenging, I did my best to eliminate bad choices and hopefully the curve (this is very real) will reflect my preparation.

my thoughts exactly. 'Deeper understanding' are the exact words I used to describe the PS section when my friend asked me how I did on the exam, the afternoon of the 27th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really hope the scores come out well. :/
There were 4 I educated guessed on and ended up getting them right after checking online after, but 1 I missed...which sucked cause I knew we learned it in A&P. Funny thing happened though, they handed me locker # 11, which is my favorite number, which hopefully means I'll receive an 11 in every section ;)

I am kind of tired of this waiting ... 30 days is long ... Kills the suspense and excitement. Hope we all do well ... Back to fetal position.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

I really hope the scores come out well. :/
There were 4 I educated guessed on and ended up getting them right after checking online after, but 1 I missed...which sucked cause I knew we learned it in A&P. Funny thing happened though, they handed me locker # 11, which is my favorite number, which hopefully means I'll receive an 11 in every section ;)

Hope you are right ... My locker number was 15 lol so 45T .... :D

Hang in there guys! One more week! And be grateful that your thread isn't falling apart like ours is...

Hope you are right ... My locker number was 15 lol so 45T .... :D

My locker number was 7, I think.:(

Hang in there guys! One more week! And be grateful that your thread isn't falling apart like ours is...

haha, you're thread has seen some quality trolling lately.

I appreciate that^ man :)!

I came here to say how happy I am that I'm not a member of the 1/28 thread, things are getting real over there...though I'm sure there are probably hundreds of 1/28 people who view that nonsense and share a similar sentiment haha.

Regardless, I hope everyone is doing well, the wait is almost over!

Every time I come on this thread and think about the MCAT my palms start sweating.

ONLY A FEW MORE DAYS LEFT. I hope everyone got 45Ts :D

Number of days the MCAT is offered per year = 25
Number of Med School applicants per year = 43,919

***Assuming every applicant who applied this year took the MCAT this year, and that all test dates have an equal number of people***

43,919/25 = 1757 test takers per test date

***allowing 5 minutes for each essay section to be graded, and assuming 10 essay graders***

1757 X 5 minutes = 8785 minutes of work
8785 / 10 graders = 880 minutes to grade all of the essays
880/60 = 14 hours and 40 minutes to grade all of the essays

Lets just round up and say 20 hours to grade the essays.

Why does it take so long to get the scores back?!

I am getting so nervous now. Can't believe its so close. I would be very happy if I dont have to retake this exam ... I sacrificed alot to study for this shiet !!! I have a midterm on the day score comes out .... i dunno how am i gonna concentrate on that lol ...

***Assuming every applicant who applied this year took the MCAT this year, and that all test dates have an equal number of people***

***allowing 5 minutes for each essay section to be graded, and assuming 10 essay graders***

The number of times the MCAT is taken in a given year is significantly higher than the number of medical school applicants, due to retakers and those who take the test but don't apply to medical school. I think the poster above me estimated pretty accurately that the number is more like 80,000. This would double the amount of work to grade the essays. Also, I would think it would take about 5 minutes to grade each essay, rather than each essay section. This would double the amount of work again. So maybe more like 60 or 70 hours. Still doesn't explain why it takes a month - I guess bureaucracy is bureaucracy!

I highly doubt timing is the issue, for whatever number of ppl taking the test.... plus I was told by couple of my MCAT teachers that one of the graders for each essay is the computer!

with that said, ppl that are taking the test in late May and early June will be behind with the application (given we get a descent score) since it will take the scores a month to come out and their apps won't be processes without a score... so I'm not sure I'm all against it! lol

It is interesting because with the GRE you get your Math and Verbal scores immediately even though you have 2 essays. You receive your writing score a month after you test. So considering that both the MCAT and GRE are on computers you think that we could get our scores immediately. However, I am convinced that there must be another reason that scoring is withheld. Perhaps questions get thrown out if there are weird trends? Or another way to double/triple check people aren't cheating (if they see one testing center with all 40's). I am sure some of you have your theories as well. I am not looking forward to waiting in April! I feel for all of you! Good luck!

Almost registered for the March 24th exam today and barely made it out with my bank account intact. Must...see...scores....first...

Are we there yet?

seriously, I'm starting to feel like a 'top 24' American Idol contestant from the last couple nights. Instead of sitting in front of 3 judges though, I'm sitting in front of MCAT THX, thinking, 'Did I make it', lol

I would assume scores are withheld to determine the curve since the MCAT is not taken on a set scale.

I would assume scores are withheld to determine the curve since the MCAT is not taken on a set scale.

It appears that the 'curve' is set before test day. However, I wouldn't doubt that the AAMC makes adjustments to the scaled scores for a given test based on the results. If all examinees were to perform relatively worse or better than the pre-set scale or curve predicted, than I would think AAMC would make compensatory adjustments to the scale. Maybe this is what they are doing from 1/28- 2/27? Otherwise, if the curve is truly pre-set, and the experimental passages known to them (AAMC), why wouldn't they provide instantaneous results, similar to the GRE? I could be wrong, I'm just thinking/speculating out loud...

see this:
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/85436/preparing_understandingscores.html

and these:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=658598
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=413152

It appears that the 'curve' is set before test day. However, I wouldn't doubt that the AAMC makes adjustments to the scaled scores for a given test based on the results. If all examinees were to perform relatively worse or better than the pre-set scale or curve predicted, than I would think AAMC would make compensatory adjustments to the scale. Maybe this is what they are doing from 1/28- 2/27? Otherwise, if the curve is truly pre-set, and the experimental passages known to them (AAMC), why wouldn't they provide instantaneous results, similar to the GRE? I could be wrong, I'm just thinking/speculating out loud...

THIS.

I was browsing through the 1/28 thread, and someone posted asking about how much time each of them had left after each section of their exam. I saw some pretty crazy times, like 20 min to spare on both PS and BS. I got scared because on our exam, I had maybe a minute to spare on PS and maybe 3 on BS. Any other responses?

I was browsing through the 1/28 thread, and someone posted asking about how much time each of them had left after each section of their exam. I saw some pretty crazy times, like 20 min to spare on both PS and BS. I got scared because on our exam, I had maybe a minute to spare on PS and maybe 3 on BS. Any other responses?

Yes ... I had 0 mins left on PS & VR (although I finished everything) and 3 mins on BS.... I saw the post, finishing BS section with 40mins left .... thats like some magical narnia dream to me lol

how do i keep myself from worrying about tuesday? i don't.

Just wonder what you have everyday for breakfast; the kind of stuff that release stress. Wow! I can't talk for others, but I am surely interested myself to get what you have. You are cool, man :D

Last edited:
how do i keep myself from worrying about tuesday? i don't.

I'm desperately searching for an overwhelming situation to throw myself in that starts now and ends tomorrow at approximately 5 pm. Which I could potentially return to if the results I get are not to my liking.. or if they are... depending on the nature of the situation.

All of us depressed 1/27'ers, I hope that the depression subsides tomorrow when we see our awesome scores!

I'm kind of excited. Usually I've scored about a 23-24 :-/ but plan to do a post-bacc --> D.O. M.D. if >29. But that test was different....not hard, but peculiar.

Scores will be up at 3 pm eastern like they have been in the past, no need to wait until 5 pm
God help us all.......

Hasn't it been a month already?

Sorry, this is the first score I have taken. Also the score will be up on the AAMC site right? Where exactly do you see your official score? I'm pretty new to this.

Ugh, tomorrow can not come any sooner... Although I am not really looking forward to seeing my sub-30 score :(

Let's do what the people in 01/28 thread are doing:

Actual: :confused:
Predicted: anywhere between 28-32
AAMC average: 34

^^^ hahah I am the same. Why is your predicted score much lower than practice averages? For me it was verbal, u?

AAMC:34
Actual:???
Predicted:27-30 (anticipated 7-8 on verbal)

F*** my god forsaken life.