The Official 01/28/2012 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sutton

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Test Date.: Saturday, January 28, 2012
.Exam Start Time.: 1 p.m.
.Registration Opens.: October 12, 2011
...Tentative.. Score Release Date.: February 28, 2012
.After 5 p.m. ET.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i feel like my heart is about to beat right out of my chest. the closer its starting to get, the lower my expectations become. i am just trying to mentally prepare myself for how i am going to handle a low score and announce the bad news to all those people in my life who expect way too highly from me.

Couldn't agree more. I'm sure this much anxiety is unhealthy.

i feel like my heart is about to beat right out of my chest. the closer its starting to get, the lower my expectations become. i am just trying to mentally prepare myself for how i am going to handle a low score and announce the bad news to all those people in my life who expect way too highly from me.

I'm right there with you. I dread sharing any bad news and disappointing those who really believe in me. Too much pressure!

Thanks for your words of support, if only it was that easy though :(

I think I've given myself a stomach ulcer.

You are putting unnecessary stress on yourself. My daughter is like that:p

That is OK. It shows that YOU CARE. That is # ONE criteria in any learning.

There can only be 2 outcomes tomorrow.
1. Your score is what you expected. Well, you move on :D
2. Your score is below what you like. Then you can retake it. Based on the way you emotionally responded to that person who implied uncalled for comments on many SDNers and you, it showed you have that quality to excel. You will succeed. Just calm down :). That will help you focus.:p

Members don't see this ad :)

Or what about the people that keep telling you that you probably did well and have unyielding confidence in the fact that you probably got a great score?

Case in point: I texted my tutor this morning.

Me: Scores come out tomorrow (meanwhile I've been having panic attacks, ulcers, etc)
My tutor: Great! I'm excited!

He believes I did so well, that if I do badly, he bet me free french lessons. I just can't wait until I do awful and prove him wrong.

Or what about the people that keep telling you that you probably did well and have unyielding confidence in the fact that you probably got a great score?

Case in point: I texted my tutor this morning.

Me: Scores come out tomorrow (meanwhile I've been having panic attacks, ulcers, etc)
My tutor: Great! I'm excited!

He believes I did so well, that if I do badly, he bet me free french lessons. I just can't wait until I do awful and prove him wrong.

OK, let us assume you will do badly tomorrow.

I thought I saw you sign up April?

I strongly, and humbly from my heart, believe that if you relax and BELIEVE in yourself and start the engine Wednesday morning and start focus on this MCAT beast, you will make it. That is probably what messed you up on 1/28 in the test room. It is not your intellegence; it is your nerves.

My goodness! We are sitting here 24 hours before the release time and not after. What is the odd? 50/50? Please relax. You can't be a good doctor if you have health issue like ulcers.:p:):love:

Yeah I was thinking for a second maybe they do it early today since the 27ers are a month out but then again I feel like if they had that plan then the website wouldn't specify Tuesday

OK, let us assume you will do badly tomorrow.

I thought I saw you sign up April?

I strongly, and humbly from my heart, believe that if you relax and BELIEVE in yourself and start the engine Wednesday morning and start focus on this MCAT beast, you will make it. That is probably what messed you up on 1/28 in the test room. It is not your intellegence; it is your nerves.

My goodness! We are sitting here 24 hours before the release time and not after. What is the odd? 50/50? Please relax. You can't be a good doctor if you have health issue like ulcers.:p:):love:

I did sign up for April 13th. And you're right, it was all nerves on test day. I was scoring 30+ on my AAMC tests and I had been studying since summer. It's just that now there's a lot of new anxiety with retaking. What if I've forgotten everything I've learned over the past month? Maybe I should've been studying instead of being depressed and stressed since my last MCAT? What if I don't improve? What if I freak out again? What if I can't be motivated enough to study again? What if I can't achieve my "zenlike" studying bubble like I did before? What if I should've signed up for a later test date? I could go on.

I just can't do this to myself anymore. They say the worst failure of all is not trying - but maybe I just can't do it. I'm so sick, and I'm so unhappy. All because of a little test. It's only going to get worse from here, so maybe I'll should reconsider this wanting to be a doctor thing.

I did sign up for April 13th. And you're right, it was all nerves on test day. I was scoring 30+ on my AAMC tests and I had been studying since summer. It's just that now there's a lot of new anxiety with retaking. What if I've forgotten everything I've learned over the past month? Maybe I should've been studying instead of being depressed and stressed since my last MCAT? What if I don't improve? What if I freak out again? What if I can't be motivated enough to study again? What if I can't achieve my "zenlike" studying bubble like I did before? What if I should've signed up for a later test date? I could go on.

I just can't do this to myself anymore. They say the worst failure of all is not trying - but maybe I just can't do it. I'm so sick, and I'm so unhappy. All because of a little test. It's only going to get worse from here, so maybe I'll should reconsider this wanting to be a doctor thing.

Don't go off the deep end now. We all face those same doubts, but the ones who make it are the ones who just keep going. overcoming the doubts is a large and significant part of the battle, and we all face them. failure is a normal part of the process. Hang in there.

For what it's worth, when retaking the MCAT, it's a lot less stress on the ol' nerves. If you do have to retake, then don't study any more before April. Just do loads of practice tests. If you were getting 30+ before, then you already know the material well.

^ That was really creepy we both wrote about DOs at the same time lol

And even if some of us score lower, there's always DO. I've pretty much decided not to retake unless my score is too low for DO, Either way you become a doctor and experience this stress isn't worth different letters after my name, at least for me.

And even if some of us score lower, there's always DO. I've pretty much decided not to retake unless my score is too low for DO, Either way you become a doctor and experience this stress isn't worth different letters after my name, at least for me.

100% for me too. Studying and retaking the MCAT, time and money spent for an SMP, etc. is ridiculous for a shot at an M.D..

Don't go off the deep end now. We all face those same doubts, but the ones who make it are the ones who just keep going. overcoming the doubts is a large and significant part of the battle, and we all face them. failure is a normal part of the process. Hang in there.

120% agree!

Well said.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
100% for me too. Studying and retaking the MCAT, time and money spent for an SMP, etc. is ridiculous for a shot at an M.D..

Some of the best doctors I've shadowed and friends/family have had are DOs. My sister called me upset when she was going into labor last summer because only the DO was there and not the MD, I guess she thought it meant they weren't a real doctor or something. She ended up liking that DO a lot more than her other OBs. In my opinion it's kind of silly that this test means so much when really good doctors have done really bad on it in the past. I guess there's no other way to standardize everyone though.

What's your personal "cut-off" point for MCAT scores for DO schools? It seems to be so... odd, I guess is the only word that fits. I've seen 3.6 sGPA and 28 MCAT's get rejected and 3.0 sGPA/22 MCAT's accepted. :scared:

What's your personal "cut-off" point for MCAT scores for DO schools? It seems to be so... odd, I guess is the only word that fits. I've seen 3.6 sGPA and 28 MCAT's get rejected and 3.0 sGPA/22 MCAT's accepted. :scared:

DO schools look at the whole application, not just GPA & MCAT. They put a lot of emphasis on work experience and medical work experience. But for MD schools they require a certain GPA & MCAT score to maintain their prestige while that just isn't the case with DO schools. So if you've got a 4.0 GPA and a 30 MCAT but no extracurricular activities there is a good chance you won't get into a DO school because they're not all about grades. You probably won't get into an MD school either though, lol.

DO schools look at the whole application, not just GPA & MCAT. They put a lot of emphasis on work experience and medical work experience. But for MD schools they require a certain GPA & MCAT score to maintain their prestige while that just isn't the case with DO schools. So if you've got a 4.0 GPA and a 30 MCAT but no extracurricular activities there is a good chance you won't get into a DO school because they're not all about grades. You probably won't get into an MD school either though, lol.

Yes, I am definitely aware. I was just curious as to where hopeful-DO students draw a line between re-takes and applying, as one myself. :D I think 26 is my personal cut-off point... maybe, sorta... :shrug:

Yes, I am definitely aware. I was just curious as to where hopeful-DO students draw a line between re-takes and applying, as one myself. :D I think 26 is my personal cut-off point... maybe, sorta... :shrug:

I suppose it depends on your individual scores. I think if you've got at least an 8 in each section you probably shouldn't retake. It depends on your GPA too.

I had a friend in undergrad with a 3.80 GPA, and a 25 MCAT (her high score in verbal I think was a 6), and she interviewed at like 5 DO schools, and got offers from 3.

Is it common for people to apply to both MD and DO programs in the same cycle? Maybe if you're somewhere on the edge, it'd be worth it to try that approach?

^ I'm definitely applying to both!

I have a 4.0 so I feel like my MCAT can maybe be a little below average. I would ask in the What's My Chances board, but if I get a 24 I may keep it. It depends in the balance too, anything below a 7 and I will retake. I never got that low though so I'm hoping it doesn't happen and I'm around my average of a 31.

^ I'm definitely applying to both!

I have a 4.0 so I feel like my MCAT can maybe be a little below average. I would ask in the What's My Chances board, but if I get a 24 I may keep it. It depends in the balance too, anything below a 7 and I will retake. I never got that low though so I'm hoping it doesn't happen and I'm around my average of a 31.

Sounds like you've got a good plan! I've applied to medical school in Ireland (I'm a dual citizen) unfortunately they have the same MCAT expectations as US MD schools (30+) but on the plus side I get to start this year rather than next year if I do well enough.

Anyone think the scores could be posted today?! AHH! I can't help but reload the screen a few times, anxious!

Anyone think the scores could be posted today?! AHH! I can't help but reload the screen a few times, anxious!

Makes me wonder if the scores have ever been released late. On the release schedule it has an italicized "tentative" next to score release date/time. I wonder how much hell would break out if the scores were released, say, 2 days late :laugh:

Makes me wonder if the scores have ever been released late. On the release schedule it has an italicized "tentative" next to score release date/time. I wonder how much hell would break out if the scores were released, say, 2 days late :laugh:

KDizzle your from NC? Same here!

Haha, oh the torture!

No No! TheKDizzle.

Please don't promote this wild dream:D

You absolutely know that you can be a unwanted target in this forum, don't you?:rolleyes:;):(:mad::p:soexcited:

Well, all the starbuck store better be prepared to open 24 hours around the clock if that happened. Otherwise, it can be a riot.:eek::laugh:

No No! TheKDizzle.

Please don't promote this wild dream:D

You absolutely know that you can be a unwanted target in this forum, don't you?:rolleyes:;):(:mad::p:soexcited:

Well, all the starbuck store better be prepared to open 24 hours around the clock if that happened. Otherwise, it can be a riot.:eek::laugh:

Hahaha, your warning has been heeded, hopefully if this actually happens I won't be blamed for it! :xf:

I'm stalking this thread more than usual today. Every time somebody posts something new I think it could be a score report so I check it! *MCAT STRESS*

Have scores ever been released ahead of the tentative date and time?
-checks MCAT Thx 3rd time today-:laugh:

i had a question: does our mcat score report get mailed to our home addresses ? or is it all electronic?

Have scores ever been released ahead of the tentative date and time?
-checks MCAT Thx 3rd time today-:laugh:

Technically since January has 31 days, it's been 30 days from our exam.. the MCAT site says the scores are released 30-35 days after the exam, and then they also give you the tentative date...AHH!

24 hours.....I just want to be done with it.....I just want to find out that I made a 7 or 8 on verbal and be done with it so that I can start studying for my retake......FML, this verbal section was much harder than the first time I took the test science sections were easier but god damn was verbal hard, made a 10 on verbal my first time, never made lower than a 9 on any of my practice exams but I got a horrible omen about this one........this was my 2nd take on the mcat, guess I will have to take it a third time, FML......

Technically since January has 31 days, it's been 30 days from our exam.. the MCAT site says the scores are released 30-35 days after the exam, and then they also give you the tentative date...AHH!

surprise.gif

I'm definitely feeling the ominous sense of impeding doom... I check THx 3 times in the last five minutes! I can't handle 24 hours of this!!!!!

But I bet 30 days ago you didn't think you could handle a whole month of this! ONLY 24 hours left! You can do it! :D

i will be volunteering tomorrow from 2-4:30 at a place that doesn't allow me to carry a phone... :scared:

I'm volunteering from 3-5 tomorrow as well... Looks like I'll be finding out via smart phone and without any of my friends with me... Good or bad I guess, depending on how I do :rolleyes:

This was great, it lightened my mood a little haha. I'm sitting in class right now, keep reloading the THx... can't imagine how insane I'll be tomorrow, the day they are actually "supposed" to come out

Glad it made you feel a little better, it certainly helped me too :D

This might be a stupid question. But is the MCAT THx system known to crash when 5,000 people log-in and refresh nonstop until they see their scores?

I would imagine the system is used to that kind of activity on score day... but it still has me concerned. I think I'd die if I knew my scores were out but it took like 20 minutes just to load the page.

EDIT: I also think we are at a disadvantage in this regard because 2 test days' scores are being released in the same afternoon!

This was great, it lightened my mood a little haha. I'm sitting in class right now, keep reloading the THx... can't imagine how insane I'll be tomorrow, the day they are actually "supposed" to come out

Well on the bright side I've never heard of the scores coming out late, only early by a range of a couple hours so hopefully we won't be THAT group that it happens to heh

This might be a stupid question. But is the MCAT THx system known to crash when 5,000 people log-in and refresh nonstop until they see their scores?

I would imagine the system is used to that kind of activity on score day... but it still has me concerned. I think I'd die if I knew my scores were out but it took like 20 minutes just to load the page.

That would be the definition of torture

With all the money they get from us, they should be able to afford a good server and web hosting service with lots of bandwidth.

Even though we know when scores should come out, that will not prevent me from refreshing the MCAT THx page upwards of 100 times in the next 24 hours.