The Official 4/5/12 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's kind of already a thread, but this is the official one ;)

I'm registered at 1PM (I think the only time offered on 4/5?) and this is a retake for me.

Using a variation of SN2ed's 3 month schedule (109 days) and started studying a few days ago.

Members don't see this ad.

is this a retake for anyone else? If so, what was your original score, and if your score went up what did you do to achieve that?
My bad, I forgot to put in some study tips. In my retake, my score went up three points. Not drastic, but definitely better. I know I have my basic knowledge of the sciences down, so I didn't bother re-reading the review books a second (third?) time, as it is a complete waste of time. I already know the organelles and how thermochem works - why read up on it again?

What I did different this time is that I focused entirely on practice problems and timing. I realized that the first time I took the MCAT, I ran out of time on almost every section. This time, I retook almost all the practice AAMC's and Kaplan practice exams all over again. Sure, I remembered the answers to some questions, but after taking a practice exam every morning, I got the hang of testing.

Second, I reviewed each and every physics and gen chem formula. These PDFs really helped me ace the PS section:
http://www.thinkmcat.com/DOWNLOADS.html
Download them, memorize them, take them everywhere you go. Make sure you know the difference between electric potential and electrostatic force yaddayadda, and their respective equations.

I remember reading this in a previous thread, but someone mentioned copy-pasting questions you got wrong on each practice test onto a powerpoint presentation, then reviewing each question as a slideshow. This strategy definitely helped me. All in all, practice makes perfect. Good luck.

Can people post up their AAMC's so those of us that still need to take can see where we are at :D

These are my practice test scores in the order I took them (PS/VR/BS)

AAMC 3: 8/12/10 - 30 (before I started studying)
AAMC 11: 9/13/12 - 34
AAMC 10: 9/13/10 - 32
AAMC 9: 12/11/10 - 33
AAMC 8: 12/12/10 - 34

Actual: 10/12/12 - 34 :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of embarrassed to posts my AAMCs because the truth is that I was too cheap to pay for them. I got 35 on AAMC 3 and 38 on AAMC 10 so avg of 37.

My bad, I forgot to put in some study tips. In my retake, my score went up three points. Not drastic, but definitely better. I know I have my basic knowledge of the sciences down, so I didn't bother re-reading the review books a second (third?) time, as it is a complete waste of time. I already know the organelles and how thermochem works - why read up on it again?

What I did different this time is that I focused entirely on practice problems and timing. I realized that the first time I took the MCAT, I ran out of time on almost every section. This time, I retook almost all the practice AAMC's and Kaplan practice exams all over again. Sure, I remembered the answers to some questions, but after taking a practice exam every morning, I got the hang of testing.

Second, I reviewed each and every physics and gen chem formula. These PDFs really helped me ace the PS section:
http://www.thinkmcat.com/DOWNLOADS.html
Download them, memorize them, take them everywhere you go. Make sure you know the difference between electric potential and electrostatic force yaddayadda, and their respective equations.

I remember reading this in a previous thread, but someone mentioned copy-pasting questions you got wrong on each practice test onto a powerpoint presentation, then reviewing each question as a slideshow. This strategy definitely helped me. All in all, practice makes perfect. Good luck.

thanks! those are some good ideas

Retake for me. 28M the first time, 33Q this time.

:laugh: yup.

We got the same scores!
First time: 28Q (V7 P9 B12)
this time: 33Q (V11 P11 B11)

AAMC scores (P;V;B = total)
#3 12; 10; 13 = 35
#4 12; 10; 11 = 33
#5 13; 9; 12 = 34
#7 10; 11; 12 = 33
#8 12; 13; 13 = 38(!)
#10 11; 10; 13 = 34
#11 11; 9; 12 = 32
Avg = ~34

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
PS 11 V8 BS6 - 25O

Welp. I need to go through this son of a beezy again. I'm depressed. But I expected it so... I shouldn't be? :/

I'm still gonna puke XD

Well I went down with my retake and am way to embarrassed to post my score... I don't know how one can do so bad, when I was averaging mid 30's for my practice exams. FML I don't even know what to do from here.

PS: 11
VR: 11
BS: 13
35Q

Completely shocked...got 30-32 on all my AAMC practice tests (I got a 31 on Test #11). I also took them under pretty realistic test conditions...so don't think your practice tests are always the best indicator!

I registered just to tell you not to let the showy scores you see on here get you down. You got a doctor's score.

Thank you so much! I just need to re evaluate and see where I go from here. With my gpa my odds are 50/50... Worth it to try?!

We got the same scores!
First time: 28Q (V7 P9 B12)
this time: 33Q (V11 P11 B11)

AAMC scores (P;V;B = total)
#3 12; 10; 13 = 35
#4 12; 10; 11 = 33
#5 13; 9; 12 = 34
#7 10; 11; 12 = 33
#8 12; 13; 13 = 38(!)
#10 11; 10; 13 = 34
#11 11; 9; 12 = 32
Avg = ~34

Haha cool. I got a 10VR 8PS 10BS the last time.

Wow congrats to everyone and their scores! I've got another week to find out mine :\

Did any of you feel like you did terrible after you took it and end up surprising yourself with your score?

33Q. 11-11-11. Bleh, I guess I'm satisfied.

Satisfied with PS and VR, but wish I had done better in BS. 33Q is 89-91%! Not great by SDN standards, but real world standards says it's pretty good I think.

GJ nonetheless.

PS 11 V8 BS6 - 25O

Welp. I need to go through this son of a beezy again. I'm depressed. But I expected it so... I shouldn't be? :/

I'm still gonna puke XD

That sucks man. What did you use to prepare for Bio? Are you still going to retake in time to apply this quarter?

Hey guys I was just wondering. I got 11/8/11. But I am just wondering something among the group. So I think I almost completely guessed on about 4 questions on both PS and BS and on top of those I also was down to the last two choices for about 6 other questions in both sections. Did I get lucky or are my PS/BS scores expected?

hey guys, quick question..

For those of you that ended up being surprised ( good way) with your score, do you guys honestly feel that it was based on an easier curve, blind luck, or you really over thinking it but knowing you were probably right all along? and if you had to guess, on how many did you really end up guessing on but still managed to get a double digit section score.

for example the PS..a lot of you guys said it was super hard, but the scores seem to show otherwise. Now that the scores are finally out and you dont have the negative thoughts in your head, do you think it was really just you, or that the grading?

Hey guys I was just wondering. I got 11/8/11. But I am just wondering something among the group. So I think I almost completely guessed on about 4 questions on both PS and BS and on top of those I also was down to the last two choices for about 6 other questions in both sections. Did I get lucky or are my PS/BS scores expected?

No one will be able to honestly answer that since none of us are fully aware of the curve set for each exam. All you can do at this stage is compare your score to your practice AAMC average, if it is very close to your average and you feel like you can't make a substantial change then stick with it.

For those of you that ended up being surprised ( good way) with your score, do you guys honestly feel that it was based on an easier curve, blind luck, or you really over thinking it but knowing you were probably right all along? and if you had to guess, on how many did you really end up guessing on but still managed to get a double digit section score.

for example the PS..a lot of you guys said it was super hard, but the scores seem to show otherwise. Now that the scores are finally out and you dont have the negative thoughts in your head, do you think it was really just you, or that the grading?

Both? My PS score ended up being on par with my last couple AAMCs, but I did mess up my timing on the section...example: had to eyeball some calculations instead of working them out. I guess I'm a good estimator and the curve wasn't overly stringent? I didn't feel like there were problems I couldn't figure out if I had all the time in the world, but there is this nasty little timer on the real deal...

PS-11
VR-9
BIO-14

34P

totally shocked about vr and ps. i thought those numbers would be switched. pleasantly surprised with bio, i was expecting a 13.

overall im really happy. Im a retaker (took it two years ago and got a 28Q).

great job everyone!

My gut feeling was a consistently crappy predictor for my performance on the AAMC practice PS sections, so I'm guessing that I was actually making more educated choices than it felt like I was. That said, it definitely wasn't just negative thinking or test day nerves that made that PS section seem so beastly, and it certainly seems possible that it would be curved more kindly as well. In the end, only the AAMC gods know...

Hey! That's not an "I bombed it" score though! Time to drink that second bottle of wine in your fridge!

Thx :)

Idk. I got a 9 in PS which I was shocked about (in a good way- I literally thought I couldn't have done better than a 6-7). Got an 8 in VR (really disappointing because in every single AAMC I got a 10-12, never lower than an a 10), and I really didn't guess on any of them- felt fairly confident in it. Maybe the PS just rattled me pr something. And 11 BS (which I am ok with). Ugh. My AAMCs were 28-35 with a 31 avg. Took em all.

Thx :)

Idk. I got a 9 in PS which I was shocked about (in a good way- I literally thought I couldn't have done better than a 6-7). Got an 8 in VR (really disappointing because in every single AAMC I got a 10-12, never lower than an a 10), and I really didn't guess on any of them- felt fairly confident in it. Maybe the PS just rattled me pr something. And 11 BS (which I am ok with). Ugh. My AAMCs were 28-35 with a 31 avg. Took em all.

If you are considering a retake, I suggest taking the TBR exams.

Would y'all say the AAMC's were representative of what you encountered on the MCAT? In terms of question difficulty.

Would y'all say the AAMC's were representative of what you encountered on the MCAT? In terms of question difficulty.

I only took the free practice test a few days before my real test and I got a better score on the real one but felt the real one was more difficult. I don't know what the accepted protocol is on what we can and can't mention about the MCAT, and I did agree not to discuss details about it, so while I want to be of more assistance I'm reticent to do so.

I only took the free practice test a few days before my real test and I got a better score on the real one but felt the real one was more difficult. I don't know what the accepted protocol is on what we can and can't mention about the MCAT, and I did agree not to discuss details about it, so while I want to be of more assistance I'm reticent to do so.

That's interesting, perhaps the curve is more generous on the actual MCAT, but your experience seems to be the consensus.

I'd say that the bs on the real one was similar to AAMC 11, except what I and others thought was a ridiculous ochem passage. VR section I thought was easier and more straight forward than AAMC's. The PS section I thought was more difficult, quite a few inferences you need to make from the passage.

The best way I've heard it explained is that all sections are more passage based and VR-like.

It was probably a combination of the three for me since i scored +4 my highest AAMC FL score. I would say that PS most likely had an easier curve and/or that one of the killer gen chem passages was the experimental (it was nearly incomprehensible and ridiculously long). I blindly guessed on about 4 and marked a bunch of questions and I still got a PS (my highest PS score ever). I thought i did terrible on that section bc i didnt have enough time to go through all marked questions on the real test, even though i did on practice tests. VR was one big blur as I didn't really recover from the PS shock. BS really kicked me in the a** too bc I didn't expect to see so many tough Ochem questions. I definitely guessed on at least 5 questions. I felt like I made educated guesses on over 60% of the questions...it was my first time in ten years taking a standardized exam (last took the ACT which I didn't prepare for at all and scored dismally, thus ruining my confidence in standardized tests), so I don't know if the experience had me so shocked that I overestimated how bad the test was. I know for sure that I felt terrible about my performance on the real test and scored surprisingly well vs feeling confident on the practice exams and scoring bad.

Still in shock with my score but hope that this gives the test takers who haven't received their scoresheet some hope. Gl and Congrats everyone on your scores!

That sucks man. What did you use to prepare for Bio? Are you still going to retake in time to apply this quarter?

I... I don't know. I've just been crying on and off for the last 5hrs. I'm going to pull myself back together though, of course... just, tomorrow. ):

I... I don't know. I've just been crying on and off for the last 5hrs. I'm going to pull myself back together though, of course... just, tomorrow. ):

I know what you're going through. I got 9/5/9 on my first take and I was averaging 11s on verbal practice tests. That was a smack in the face. Get round 2 results on the 30th so here's to hoping. If its any consolation I'm crying with you. Also, it's much easier to deal with the second time around. The stress isn't as high, you know what to expect and although the test isn't easier, it's a much better experience on the second take

First time I took it I almost threw up an hour before and was hysterically crying in the parking lot 30 min before my test. Second time I spent my 10 minute breaks bull****ting with the people at the testing center I was so relaxed. Just take a deep breath and start fresh. It's not the end of the world. Just means you have to work harder. You know your weaknesses and where you need to work and you have plenty of time to improve. Keep your head up. Have a couple drinks and give yourself a few days to process it then start all over again.

Very very surprised by my PS score. Averaged 30-32 for AAMC tests. On the actual test, I was too nervous to begin the PS section, and did not understand a thing about that one super hard passages, and left one answer blank because I ran outta time. I had to blindly (when I say blindly, I seriously mean click randomly without eliminating any choices) guess up to 5 questions.

Ended up with a PS/V/BS of 12/8/11 ---- 31Q. Very surprised. But I will be retaking the MCAT due to the low verbal scores.

Yay I just checked my score and I AM SO FRIGGIN STOKED!!!!!!!!!

Actual:

PS: 11
VR: 10
BSL 11
WS: Q

My AAMCA average was 25 I think...(taken once every week before I even finished content review) with an upwards trend nearing the actual date. I never got past 29 so YES, I am super ecstatic with this score.

I'm also excited about the PS score, which I couldve sworn I bombed (7-10) and I got a 11 woot woot. Guys, I hope your scores turn out great too!

So you had never scored higher than 29 but ended up with 32 ??? THAT'S A GREAT MOTIVATION FOR EVERYONE WHO'S WAITING THEIR SCORES MAN !

I know what you're going through. I got 9/5/9 on my first take and I was averaging 11s on verbal practice tests. That was a smack in the face. Get round 2 results on the 30th so here's to hoping. If its any consolation I'm crying with you. Also, it's much easier to deal with the second time around. The stress isn't as high, you know what to expect and although the test isn't easier, it's a much better experience on the second take

First time I took it I almost threw up an hour before and was hysterically crying in the parking lot 30 min before my test. Second time I spent my 10 minute breaks bull****ting with the people at the testing center I was so relaxed. Just take a deep breath and start fresh. It's not the end of the world. Just means you have to work harder. You know your weaknesses and where you need to work and you have plenty of time to improve. Keep your head up. Have a couple drinks and give yourself a few days to process it then start all over again.

I like this. Thanks for the motivational talk! Best of luck to you on the 30th :luck:

And CONGRATS to everyone who got an amazing score today!

Come on Camy...it's not the end of the world! In a touch of optimism, it's probably better to get a score in the 20s and do really well the second time around. It's definitely tough to be in your position but hang in there...no one gets to the top without first putting everything that they have on the table, failing, and doing it again. You can do it. Confidence! :thumbup:

By the way - congrats to everyone who did well, you guys finally beat this thing. And to everyone who didn't do as well, keep your heads up! This test is like one of the bosses in a video game, sure you might have to die once or twice to beat him, but as long as you eventually kick its ass you still win the game at the end :)

welp, i said yesterday i wasnt gonna check my scores until after i graduate on sunday. today was my last day of finals and well, i drank. and that gave me the courage to check my scores. I am a retaker, gettin PS 10 VR 6 and BS 12 (28Q) the first time around. I didnt think either science section was too bad, but i thought the verbal was pretty tough, which is what really made me nervous about my score, seeing as that is what killed me the first time around. I was stoked to see that i scored PS 14, VR 10, BS 11 (35Q!!!!). Literally, probably one of the best feelings i have ever had after thinking i had blown the VR again. congrats to everyone else who did great, and to those who didnt do as well as they liked, retaking can be a great thing!! i improved my score by 7 points!! dont get discouraged!!!!

I'll be crying partners with you, bro.

Come on Camy...it's not the end of the world! In a touch of optimism, it's probably better to get a score in the 20s and do really well the second time around. It's definitely tough to be in your position but hang in there...no one gets to the top without first putting everything that they have on the table, failing, and doing it again. You can do it. Confidence! :thumbup:

Thank you so much guys, really :) I've been a wreck, haha. I definitely know it's not the end of the world, and as I said I will pull myself back. It's just been such a dang stressful process (and I just got out of midterm week so I don't think my brain is reacting well to things) and my family and friends had so much hope in me (perhaps too much--why did I tell them about this again?), I've never let them down like this before. I haven't actually told anyone outside of the internet yet. Let myself down too.... But I can and will take it again, and go from there. It's just hard to think about how that works out for whether or not I'll be applying this year... a lot to rethink. So while I'm at it, if there are any retakers who would like to inform me about how this step all works, I'd love a PM!

PS. I'm a girl, bro (;
PPS. Is it funny that the biggest smack in the face wasn't that I failed BS but that a 5hr test called me a terrible writer when it's been one of my hobbies for the last 5 years? Son of a... XD

welp, i said yesterday i wasnt gonna check my scores until after i graduate on sunday. today was my last day of finals and well, i drank. and that gave me the courage to check my scores. I am a retaker, gettin PS 10 VR 6 and BS 12 (28Q) the first time around. I didnt think either science section was too bad, but i thought the verbal was pretty tough, which is what really made me nervous about my score, seeing as that is what killed me the first time around. I was stoked to see that i scored PS 14, VR 10, BS 11 (35Q!!!!). Literally, probably one of the best feelings i have ever had after thinking i had blown the VR again. congrats to everyone else who did great, and to those who didnt do as well as they liked, retaking can be a great thing!! i improved my score by 7 points!! dont get discouraged!!!!

That's seriously amazing!! Congrats :) And thanks for the hope.
May I ask how long did you wait to restart study/retake?

That's seriously amazing!! Congrats :) And thanks for the hope.
May I ask how long did you wait to restart study/retake?

I took my first test May 15 2011 i believe. I felt pretty confident after taking it and had my AMCAS application all ready to send in the day i got my scores (mid june). well, I got saw my scores and I swore there was a mistake. i mean i had never gotten below a 10 on any verbal practice, and i end up with a 6 on the real thing?!?! I was ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATED after committing my entire spring semester to this test (aka no going out on weekends OR weekdays AT ALL, and rarely hanging out with any of my friends/having fun). I originally told myself I would get back on the horse immediately and try to retake that august. but after a month off from studying and 3 weeks into summer, I was completely out of an academic mindset and didnt want to give up my summer and try to cram in the studying and potentially not do as well as i wanted, so I decided that I would take a year off after i graduated before attending medical school. I started restudying this past January, at the beginning of my final spring semester and obviously took the test on 4/5. I got 10 hours of 1 on 1 tutoring for verbal from princeton review and just hammmered my kaplan science books (from the first time i took the test). bottomline, is while it was not ideal to have to take it twice, I am sure as hell glad i did!! not only was i able to improve my awful weakness by 4 points (verbal), I was able to improve PS by 4 as well, improving my overall score by 7!!

Trust me, I was just as devastated as you were, and tears were definitely shed. I just didnt understand how after all the studying i had done and the sacrifices i had made this could happen to me! but, bust your ass one more time and focus on your weak areas, and i know you'll be able to get the score you want!!