The Official April 11, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlonghorn2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This happens to fall on my birthday...don't know if that's a good thing or bad. Starting sn2d's 3 month program on Monday! I'm scared.

Members don't see this ad.

Do we all really have the same test? I know some of our experimentals might be a little different. I'm asking in regards to verbal and ps both of which I thought were pretty straight forward and honestly a little bit easy. I looked this up and it says that AAMC says that we all get the same tests--- but doesn't like Kaplan, PR say that we DON'T all get the same test?
I understand some of our experimentals might be a little different so like a passage or two, but I honestly thought my PS was SO easy (in comparison to what I expected) and I have such a hard time believing that others would think that it was as hard as I heard people describe it.

I'm so anxious about my score too! I don't want to retake (MCAT studying time was horrid) but what if the test is curved to bring us all down (because so many people thought it was easy) or is there really like a "pre-set" curve that I'm reading about online? AAMC descriptions of what the test is like could be super ambivalent too.

I'm worried about having to retake because then I might not be able to apply this cycle! Did a lot of other people sign up for a retake already (just in case) who are planning to apply this cycle?
I looked online and there's not a single spot open in my state or the state next to mine for May or June!
We definitely absolutely all took the same test because the test is curved. It can't be curved unless we all took the exact same test. Our "experimentals" weren't different. Nothing was different. The whole country took the exact same PS V and BS sections and it will be curved based on everyone's results. People have different responses to the test that sometimes are predictive to how they really did and sometimes are not at all so don't worry yet!

We definitely absolutely all took the same test because the test is curved. It can't be curved unless we all took the exact same test. Our "experimentals" weren't different. Nothing was different. The whole country took the exact same PS V and BS sections and it will be curved based on everyone's results. People have different responses to the test that sometimes are predictive to how they really did and sometimes are not at all so don't worry yet!
Unless by experimentals you meant the trial section! I meant the passage/questions whatever that were experimental and not scored within the actual exam.

Hi zinthafan,

I wouldn't worry too much about this. But, if you're looking to secure a Plan B (an an expensive Plan B at that) keep checking every day to see if a spot opens up. I did sign up for a retake (as advised by Health Professions Advising at my university), but you're right any retake after June just isn't worth it for this cycle as it will partly delay your application. My signing up for a retake was prompted, in fact, by my thinking that PS was too easy. Knowing that I have 4 wrong (again, absentminded mistakes) already does not bode so well for my score.

Also, I do not believe that our tests were identical. They likely had some degree of variability in the specific questions which were asked, but difficulty-wise, I believe that all tests administered on April 11 were of the same caliber such that a pre-set curve based on past performances can be applied. This makes the most sense logistically. The MCAT's bank of questions is very, very large and they likely do not need a sample size of N = 4,500 (which is what it would be if everyone took the same, exact test) to gather statistics about one particular set of questions. They screen a lot of questions each individual administration, I'm sure.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
The experimentals questions are simply questions they do not have enough data collected on to determine how the question will effect the difficulty and scale of a particular exam. Data is compiled for these questions so that a test can be designed that will be standardized to a specific level of difficulty. The questions they are trying out don't necessarily have to be hard questions, they can also be easy ones. It doesn't necessarily have to be an entire passage either, they can be attempting to fine tune the set of questions within a certain passage. So it's all a crap shoot, no one will ever be able to find out exactly how many experimentals there are per exam. Logically speaking, I highly doubt the AAMC would load any particular form of the test with such a disproportionate amount of experimentals that your performance on them will greatly impact your score.

Just my 2 cents

the test is curved. It can't be curved unless we all took the exact same test... it will be curved based on everyone's results.

I don't understand how this myth is still alive. I see it almost every day on SDN. The MCAT is NOT CURVED!!!!! It is SCALED. The scale is an estimate, and it is determined BEFORE people take the exam.

That's why there are experimental questions. The AAMC needs data on student responses to questions in order to effectively scale the exam.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't understand how this myth is still alive. I see it almost every day on SDN. The MCAT is NOT CURVED!!!!! It is SCALED. The scale is an estimate, and it is determined BEFORE people take the exam.

That's why there are experimental questions. The AAMC needs data on student responses to questions in order to effectively scale the exam.
Haha sorry the term "curve" freaks you out. I more meant that a certain raw score doesn't translate to a specific score on the exam every time. It's actually interesting that AAMC implies that if you got a lower raw score than someone else but many "difficult" questions correct you can still score higher than that person..

"Why are raw scores converted to scaled scores?
The conversion of raw scores to scaled scores compensates for small variations in difficulty between sets of questions. The exact conversion of raw to scaled scores is not constant; because different sets of questions are used on different exams. The 15-point scale tends to provide a more stable and accurate assessment of a student's abilities. Two students of equal ability would be expected to get the same scaled score, even though there might be a slight difference between the raw scores each student obtained on the test. "

Reactions: 1 user

But I actually didn't know the scale was pre-set. I assumed they were creating the scale in the 30+ days it takes to get the scores out so THANKS!

Haha sorry the term "curve" freaks you out. I more meant that a certain raw score doesn't translate to a specific score on the exam every time. It's actually interesting that AAMC implies that if you got a lower raw score than someone else but many "difficult" questions correct you can still score higher than that person..
I don't think that's what it implies

Sorry if i seemed off putting, haha. didn't mean to be.

You raise a great question. Why does it take 30+ days for us to get our scores?! maybe someone knows.

Sorry if i seemed off putting, haha. didn't mean to be.

You raise a great question. Why does it take 30+ days for us to get our scores?! maybe someone knows.
No problem. Honestly it's a sensitive subject for all of us so I'm not gonna get mad at anyone for spazzing a bit lmao Truth being that, yes, none of us actually knows what goes on that ends up taking so long to grade a computerized test...

Members don't see this ad :)
The statistical method used to figure out the mcat score is a process they use called equating. Google mcat equating score and a nifty book by Hee Kim comes up. Seems like a highly detailed process using multiple comparison forms so yeah that's probably why it takes 30 days. Also in his book he mentions there are two versions each admin exactly the same just scrambled differently. I can say this was written when there was only two administrations April and August. Yet, I doubt the process is that much different now. Rather, it's even more complex.

But yes, does anyone know?! Anyone have a relative who works for AAMC?! What are they doing!! Haha

The AAMC reels in hundreds of thousands of extra dollars from insecure premeds who think they did badly on the exam and sign up for a retake. For the exam being computerized with no written part, that's the only logical answer IMO.

Reactions: 3 users
So many responses=== thank you guys to my concerns!!!!!!

I agree with txlonghorn above who thinks they might do it because they get so much money from people signing up for retakes!!!!
On the bright side, post MCAT life is so surreal!!! I have final exams going on for school, but post MCAT, it's like I can finally "breathe"!!!

The AAMC reels in hundreds of thousands of extra dollars from insecure premeds who think they did badly on the exam and sign up for a retake. For the exam being computerized with no written part, that's the only logical answer IMO.
That is the most logical answer I've gotten and I can't believe I never thought of that. I'm sticking with that as the reason why it takes so long. Money!

I thought you couldn't sign up for a retake until 3 months have passed from your initial exam date? How are people registering for May?

e: nevermind, Google

Hey guys....Ive been quiet for the days after the exam because needed time to recover. I'm kinda freaking out because I am extremely sure about 3 questions I missed in the PS :-( and 2 in the BS. I cant even begin to think of those which I guessed on.....Did anyone else have any problems with the PS section or is it just me?

Would also like to hear what you guys thought of PS compared to AAMC 9 10 and 11. Particularly the discretes, did you feel like they were straight forward and you flew through them?

AAMC 9 and 10 PS are eerily straight forward... pretty much testing for precision in answering simple questions, rather than Kaplan which asks HARD questions.

Would also like to hear what you guys thought of PS compared to AAMC 9 10 and 11. Particularly the discretes, did you feel like they were straight forward and you flew through them?

AAMC 9 and 10 PS are eerily straight forward... pretty much testing for precision in answering simple questions, rather than Kaplan which asks HARD questions.

I don't really remember any of the discretes except for one and you had to do two calculations to arrive at the answer. I marked it and came back to it at the end. Other than that, no clue anymore.

Thought the discretes weren't bad, just the one passage. Hoping it was experimental

the first time I tested I had no problem erasing the exam and stress from my mind afterward
but this time around I KEEP thinking about it and checking my calendar for how many days left. it probs doesn't help that im on vacation from work but you would think that job searching for a full time gig and looking for an apartment would keep my mind busy

nope....

:beat:
At this point i am just like forget it. Whatever I got doesn't matter because I am going to retake it. This time, just like the last, changing things drastically to improve my chances of success. I will go down to part time (working only weekends), adopt a new workout routine to keep my body and mind healthy, go vegetarian (mostly not completely), try meditation, and my ace in the hole is to study at my old university for about 6-8 hrs. I figure if I can be in the educational arena, then if i need help I can ask someone, instead of taking 2 days to grasp something myself. :cat:

PS discretes were very straightforward imo. the entire section seemed like the average picture of an AAMC PS section, too. there was some AAMC 3-5 flavor, as well as 7-11.

and yeah, I hate knowing that I missed questions after the fact, it really sucks. Feels like I could have done more/better, but I guess that doesn't change that I still have to wait a whole month to find out my score haha (wish it did)

:beat:
At this point i am just like forget it. Whatever I got doesn't matter because I am going to retake it. This time, just like the last, changing things drastically to improve my chances of success. I will go down to part time (working only weekends), adopt a new workout routine to keep my body and mind healthy, go vegetarian (mostly not completely), try meditation, and my ace in the hole is to study at my old university for about 6-8 hrs. I figure if I can be in the educational arena, then if i need help I can ask someone, instead of taking 2 days to grasp something myself. :cat:

It certainly possible to improve after the second time, but just note it becomes quite difficult. That seems to be true on standardized exams.

Not for me though. Its would be true if I gave 150% but I feel due to other things I only gave like 60%, so I expect to do much better. And failure is a great motivator lol

Not for me though. Its would be true if I gave 150% but I feel due to other things I only gave like 60%, so I expect to do much better. And failure is a great motivator lol

If its possible take off work to study. I realize people's financial situations might be different but this exam really calls for it and success on it is worth more than the measly amount of money you would make

The scores for the march 22nd mcat are in. Most people didn't do so well on verbal but it's because they are saying the passages they go were very easy to read and understand and so the curve was strict. That makes me feel better because most people here said verbal was harder than usual so hopefully we get a better curve.

The scores for the march 22nd mcat are in. Most people didn't do so well on verbal but it's because they are saying the passages they go were very easy to read and understand and so the curve was strict. That makes me feel better because most people here said verbal was harder than usual so hopefully we get a better curve.

I don't really remember VR, but I hope you're right haha. We have 20 days left...still a long a$$ time :/. I hate how I took the VR SA and 8 AAMCs and was never able to accurately predict my VR Score.

Before each AAMC VR section, I would set a pre-exam goal and write it down. Then, after I finished, I wrote down what I *felt* I got. I was NEVER right, not even once. I was spot-on-accurate with PS & BS, but I could never accurately gauge VR. If VR were longer, I feel that random fluctuations would become less common. Making VR into a 52-question exam like PS & BS would have been a better step to take instead of introducing a whole new section and changing the format of the entire test. Way to go, AAMC...

oh well! Not like our careers depend on this ambiguous, terrible section...

can you believe it? we've made it through 14 whole days of worrying about how we did...now on to 18 more...shouldn't be too bad, right?

Not too sure about that, but I do know the purported release date is May 13, not May 14...14 days, 22 hours and 15 minutes left if you're on eastern time. lol.

This wait is not okay..... I know the scores are already sitting on a computer somewhere at MCAT headquarters... while im pulling my hair out and going over my wrong answers in my mind

Reactions: 1 users
9 more days woot! Just focus on your application for those applying and the time will fly by. Or just watch the NBA Playoffs for those who are basketball fans. That's what got me by since April 19th.

Hey what are people's game plans? Are most of us shooting to retake it come our scores aren't too high--- retake it for this cycle I mean, or are just waiting for next cycle? I have a full application ready to go for AMCAS I feel like, and I would hate if my MCAT score makes me postpone a year… :(

Hey all, did you guys get your trial section feedback yet? I just got mine and somehow scored 53% (biochem). (Which is pretty meh, but considering that I guessed on majority of the questions, I'll take it!)

Last edited: