The Official April 11, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlonghorn2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This happens to fall on my birthday...don't know if that's a good thing or bad. Starting sn2d's 3 month program on Monday! I'm scared.

Members don't see this ad.

Would you say PS, VR, Bio section tests are a lot harder or comparable to AAMC?

1) Kaplan section ONLY covers PS & BS (7 exact pairs without VR).

2) Based on our own and those from the past, particularly the SDNers at the period of June, July, & August of 2013 testing, those Kaplan sections seemed pretty close to the passages in terms of style, and approach of the real thing. Harder or easier is a mood point, subjectively based on one's own background. We used the number of errors as gauge with respect to AAMCs instead of following Kaplan FL score curve which has wider leniency. By doing so, we feel that they are very comparable; but that is our opinion.

3) If I must be a judge, I will take the liberty to say that it is a hair easier than AAMC 9 & 11 (BS &PS only). Some SDNers may not agree :)

Reactions: 1 user
1) Kaplan section ONLY covers PS & BS (7 exact pairs without VR).

2) Based on our own and those from the past, particularly the SDNers at the period of June, July, & August of 2013 testing, those Kaplan sections seemed pretty close to the passages in terms of style, and approach of the real thing. Harder or easier is a mood point, subjectively based on one's own background. We used the number of errors as gauge with respect to AAMCs instead of following Kaplan FL score curve which has wider leniency. By doing so, we feel that they are very comparable; but that is our opinion.

3) If I must be a judge, I will take the liberty to say that it is a hair easier than AAMC 9 & 11 (BS &PS only). Some SDNers may not agree :)

Any thoughts on their Subject Tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on their Subject Tests?

We ran out of time and didn't test the "Subject".

However, as I had observed from 2012 to late 2013, whenever this similar issue came up in the conversation on SDN campus, the focus usually leaned toward "section" test instead of "topic" and "subject".

I would not be surprised at all, the topic, subject and section were written by 3 separate design teams who had various approach and focus.

At the end, "section" is just about RIGHT and closer simulated to the beast.

After thought:
As 2015 is closely approaching, that seemed to be more puzzles fit together that the test is more and more experimental and verbal instead of fact base particularly in BS. AAMC will no doubt continues swapping out the "old" questions and replacing them with more experimental and verbal passages. The similarity I mentioned above may gradually fate away. Along the way, AAMC will throw in a few very hardcore discrete sandwiched between as they had done that in August 2013.
I have not paid much attention to both Jan 2014 tests..........so, any Jan 2014 testers like to comment?

Last edited:
Only did 1 VR section 68%.
Gonna hit my first BS Section test tonight.

Nice. Would be awaiting to see how you do since you are doing great on AAMCs, let's see how your scores translate. I am usually in the range of 35-55% for the BS sections tests.

How are your VR if you don't mind me asking? I usually do 50-70%.

Nice. Would be awaiting to see how you do since you are doing great on AAMCs, let's see how your scores translate. I am usually in the range of 35-55% for the BS sections tests.

How are your VR if you don't mind me asking? I usually do 50-70%.

I have only done that one VR i mentioned and it was 68%. How are your VR section scores comparing to EK scores and AAMC?
About to start my first BS section momentarily

That said, I am worried that those past "good" scores were major flukes or that I have somehow started forgetting material since the Kaplan course ended. I'll find out this weekend after 2 FLs.

I have only done that one VR i mentioned and it was 68%. How are your VR section scores comparing to EK scores and AAMC?
About to start my first BS section momentarily

That said, I am worried that those past "good" scores were major flukes or that I have somehow started forgetting material since the Kaplan course ended. I'll find out this weekend after 2 FLs.

VR is all over the place. I haven't done any AAMCs, but EK I got 9 on one exam, and Kaplan VR has been 50-70% range. You are using Kaplan as primary source of material?

VR is all over the place. I haven't done any AAMCs, but EK I got 9 on one exam, and Kaplan VR has been 50-70% range. You are using Kaplan as primary source of material?

For the most part. Supplementing with EK for verbal and TBR for weak spots. Got a 73% on that BS section btw.. translates to like a high 9/low 10

I did the VR section test 1 and score 68% as well! Also took test 2 and scored 63%. My verbal score on full-lengths is either 7 or 10 so far (scored 7 twice and 10 twice). Hoping to get more 10s as I transition to the AAMC tests closer to the test.

Keep us posted on how the bio section section test goes. It's the one subject I really focused on this go around so I'm hoping to see my scores in the 10+ range (also, one of the schools I'm looking at places heavy emphasis on this section). I'll be taking the bio section test tomorrow. Working on the last physics and bio topical tests tonight (will wrap up physics, but will have a few outstanding bio III topical tests). Probably should make time to do some o-chem at some point (didn't get around to Unit 2 or 3).

Kaplan MCAT 4 on Sunday for me. Anyone else slated to take a full length this weekend?

Only did 1 VR section 68%.
Gonna hit my first BS Section test tonight.

is anyone else tempted to move back the exam date.....

Absolutely not, and you shouldn't either. Take the exam score it, unless you are 100% certain you bombed it, in which case you void it. In either case wait the required 48 hours and sign up for hopefully a June date if not July and study for the month while you wait for your score, if you are happy with it then you can relax and not have to worry about the MCAT ever again. If the score is not what you expected, at least you didnt go a month without studying the information and you will hopefully murder it when you take it in June/July.

The exam is changing after this year, so its much more important to take it and score it then to keep telling yourself you are not ready and keep pushing it back.

Scenario one: You take it, score it, study for the month while waiting for your results, get the results you want never have to study for MCAT again cancel your registration for the upcoming MCAT you signed up for.! :)
Scenario two: You take it, void it, study for the exam and hopefully kill the June/July test date.

In both cases:
You get to take an AAMC Test, although it is expensive to take the MCAT, this is mere chump change to what the cost of medical school is going to be, so consider it more of a investment.

Also from my experience of pushing the test date back, it allows more time for procrastination. Just put in a lot of time over these next 2.5 weeks be calm and confident going into the exam and take it, the worse that could happen is that you are out 280 dollars.

Members don't see this ad :)
The logic below is exactly why I don't want to put off my test date despite a few abysmal performances on full length exams. Also, I'll likely be considering a few masters programs that have application deadlines in May as back-up so I need a score mid-May. I definitely plan to keep on studying post the MCAT and probably aim for a July re-take if I don't hit my goal of 3o (28 is my best score on any full length thus far).

Absolutely not, and you shouldn't either. Take the exam score it, unless you are 100% certain you bombed it, in which case you void it. In either case wait the required 48 hours and sign up for hopefully a June date if not July and study for the month while you wait for your score, if you are happy with it then you can relax and not have to worry about the MCAT ever again. If the score is not what you expected, at least you didnt go a month without studying the information and you will hopefully murder it when you take it in June/July.

The exam is changing after this year, so its much more important to take it and score it then to keep telling yourself you are not ready and keep pushing it back.

Scenario one: You take it, score it, study for the month while waiting for your results, get the results you want never have to study for MCAT again cancel your registration for the upcoming MCAT you signed up for.! :)
Scenario two: You take it, void it, study for the exam and hopefully kill the June/July test date.

In both cases:
You get to take an AAMC Test, although it is expensive to take the MCAT, this is mere chump change to what the cost of medical school is going to be, so consider it more of a investment.

Also from my experience of pushing the test date back, it allows more time for procrastination. Just put in a lot of time over these next 2.5 weeks be calm and confident going into the exam and take it, the worse that could happen is that you are out 280 dollars.

Okay okay @Love_Cats_without_the_M I hear yah. Lets do this.
but true confessions Ill probably have that thought in the back of my mind probably until the last chance to move is gone... Lol.
Wont give in tho!

We got this guys! 2.5 weeks left!

Im prepping for my two FLs this week. Taking one every tues and thurs until the big day...

Trying to do a full physics review until I take my next one on Tuesday.... My goal is to maintain my bio high score and pump up the PS section alittle bit.

Hey Everyone!

I am doing aamc 9 tomorrow, but feeling as if I can still do more content review/re-review. I know I should be focusing on questions but just wondering if anyone else is feeling that way. I got a 30 (10/10/10) on aamc 8 but still feeling like I have some weak areas---mainly in the PS. Any tips would be appreciated!

Hey Everyone!

I am doing aamc 9 tomorrow, but feeling as if I can still do more content review/re-review. I know I should be focusing on questions but just wondering if anyone else is feeling that way. I got a 30 (10/10/10) on aamc 8 but still feeling like I have some weak areas---mainly in the PS. Any tips would be appreciated!

I feel the same. But thorough post-game of FLs is important to understand weak areas. Once you figure out gaps in content which are leading to lower scores, then re-read sections in review books and do practice questions that relate to the section. Starting next week I am going to take a FL every other day pretty much and the days in between will be spent doing content review of weak areas.

AAMC 5 today: Just wow at that Picasso passage. That passage alone killed me. I feel like the answer explanations for the Picasso passage ran counter to some of the logic behind other VR questions.

AAMC 5 today: Just wow at that Picasso passage. That passage alone killed me. I feel like the answer explanations for the Picasso passage ran counter to some of the logic behind other VR questions.
I got 9 wrong on that VR and 4 of them were from that Picasso passage

I got 9 wrong on that VR and 4 of them were from that Picasso passage

Yeah... I think that was the hardest VR passage I've come across, including the SA's and TPR/EK 101, etc.

That Bio passage on conjugation was also pretty stupid difficult. I felt like the PS was pretty easy though. I'm hoping for something like that on test day.

Yeah... I think that was the hardest VR passage I've come across, including the SA's and TPR/EK 101, etc.

That Bio passage on conjugation was also pretty stupid difficult. I felt like the PS was pretty easy though. I'm hoping for something like that on test day.
I agree about that bio passage. That area of bio is usually my jam but the passage was so confusing

Has anyone taken AAMC #8 and felt like it was way more difficult than the other tests? I just finished and saw a fairly significant downturn in my score from previous FLs

I thought aamc 8 ( especially ps ) was a bit more difficult than the past exams but my score ended up around my average somehow. I thought the first two verbal passages were really difficult also.

29 on Kaplan MCAT 4 (10/9/10). Remain one point away from the elusive 30 barrier. Looks like most folks have made it to the AAMC tests. Plan to switch over to them on Friday. Good job everybody.

Good luck, I post-phrased that yesterday and was less than happy with the amount of stupid mistakes I made. I guess I should know better than to go for a run at 6am the morning I plan on taking a test!

Think of it as a learning experience. I made so many stupid mistakes on aamc 8 and 9. I just try to do intense post review and not let myself fall into those traps again. Good luck on the next practice test!

ok so I just finished my AAMC 8.

I got the score which I was shooting for 36. I try to aim for a score that is at least one point higher than what I would reasonably predict.

Overall 36 (14 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)

That 11 in VR and 14 on PS is some kind of freak accident. the 11 in BS is pretty much my bio average although its less than what I got on my last AAMC.

I definitely did a lot of things differently for this FL so I guess its helping.

ok so I just finished my AAMC 8.

I got the score which I was shooting for 36. I try to aim for a score that is at least one point higher than what I would reasonably predict.

Overall 36 (14 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)

That 11 in VR and 14 on PS is some kind of freak accident. the 11 in BS is pretty much my bio average although its less than what I got on my last AAMC.

I definitely did a lot of things differently for this FL so I guess its helping.

Great score! Congrats. What did you do differently for this FL?

Overall, I went slower.

I typically finish PS and BS with about 20 minutes remaining. This has been true since the first time I studied for the MCAT. Although for the real MCAT I did not have more than maybe 5 minutes remaining for these sections and was forced to randomly guess on two questions for VR.

So this time I took every second to review each question and I made a couple changes to my answers. I wont know if those changes actually helped until I do a post game.

Slowing down probably had the biggest impact on VR. My previous verbal scores were consistently 10. So I decided I had to change something to try to improve. So I probably took at least a full extra minute just reading and understanding each passage. I was trying to absorb as much as I could. I stopped passage mapping a while ago since it no longer serves me and just wastes time.

Although honestly this one point improvement might not actually reflect much actual improvement in VR since I believe my raw VR only improved by one question.

Also, I have been visualizing myself getting a 36..... if you believe in that kind of stuff lol

Thanks for the info! I always finish with 20 mins left when I do practice tests at home too and never go back to check my work. I'll take your advice and start going slower and actually check my answers so hopefully I'll see some improvement in my score. I'm taking AAMC 7 tomorrow. On the real MCAT I ran out of time on PS so I screwed myself there...have to learn how to not let my nerves get in the way!

I will visualize myself getting a 33...need more positive thoughts here lol

Just took Kaplan Section test 3 for BS and Section test 4 for PS, scored 75% and 69% respectively. The section tests are known to be harder than the MCAT, so I feel I'm in good shape, Verbal will always be a struggle, hoping for a favorable verbal exam come April 11th.

I am about to post-phrase them and then look over some topics that I had difficulty with, anyone else doing Kaplan section tests?

Just took Kaplan Section test 3 for BS and Section test 4 for PS, scored 75% and 69% respectively. The section tests are known to be harder than the MCAT, so I feel I'm in good shape, Verbal will always be a struggle, hoping for a favorable verbal exam come April 11th.

I am about to post-phrase them and then look over some topics that I had difficulty with, anyone else doing Kaplan section tests?

I will probably try a few in the very near future.

What does everyone recommend for additional secondary sources? I've taken the free Kaplan and I'd rather not have to buy any more FLs since I plan on buying every AAMC. I took AAMC 3 in January as a diagnostic and did minimal post-phrasing, should I just retake that? I only have AAMC 9-11 left and I'm trying to take 3 FLs per week so I want to save them

I started doing Kaplan section tests how hard have they been for you?

Last edited:
I started doing Kaplan section tests and I am getting killed so far. How hard have they been for you? I am wavering from 9-11 on FLs. How have your Section scores correlated to FLs?

So far:
BS 1 73%
PS 1 53% :(
PS 2 62% :(
PS 3 73% :/

So far:
BS 1 = 75
BS 2 = 65
BS 3 = 75
PS 1 = 79
PS 2 = 75
PS 3 = 67
PS 4 = 69

Chillax brohan, they are designed to be really tough, its really important to go over them, anything over a 65% is considered good, and once you review them you will learn from your mistakes and the actual MCAT will seem a bit easier.
I am retaking Kaplan FL 1-6 (Didn't review them, and took them over 5 months ago) and taking Kaplan FL 9-11 for the first time.
Kaplan FL 1: 14, 9, 12 = 35
Kaplan FL 2: 14, 10, 14 = 38

I am staying away from AAMC exams because I have already taken them, and from all these people saying they finish sections with ~20 minutes left in BS/PS makes me feel that they are way to easy compared to the actual thing (albeit the curve is still tough).

The Kaplan exams are more like the real thing in terms of difficulty, and that's why Ive been focusing on them. If you haven't taken the AAMC tests before I would definitely suggest taking them though.

What does everyone recommend for additional secondary sources? I've taken the free Kaplan and I'd rather not have to buy any more FLs since I plan on buying every AAMC. I took AAMC 3 in January as a diagnostic and did minimal post-phrasing, should I just retake that? I only have AAMC 9-11 left and I'm trying to take 3 FLs per week so I want to save them

Honestly Kaplan FL 1-6 (haven't taken 9-11, 7 and 8 were super tough for me) are really comparable to the actual MCAT in terms of difficulty, I find them tremendously helpful, but they are expensive and if you don't have the course it probably isn't worth getting them.

I heard the GS exams are pretty good practice as well.

So far:
BS 1 = 75
BS 2 = 65
BS 3 = 75
PS 1 = 79
PS 2 = 75
PS 3 = 67
PS 4 = 69

Chillax brohan, they are designed to be really tough, its really important to go over them, anything over a 65% is considered good, and once you review them you will learn from your mistakes and the actual MCAT will seem a bit easier.
I am retaking Kaplan FL 1-6 (Didn't review them, and took them over 5 months ago) and taking Kaplan FL 9-11 for the first time.
Kaplan FL 1: 14, 9, 12 = 35
Kaplan FL 2: 14, 10, 14 = 38

I am staying away from AAMC exams because I have already taken them, and from all these people saying they finish sections with ~20 minutes left in BS/PS makes me feel that they are way to easy compared to the actual thing (albeit the curve is still tough).

The Kaplan exams are more like the real thing in terms of difficulty, and that's why Ive been focusing on them. If you haven't taken the AAMC tests before I would definitely suggest taking them though.

Great post, thank you.

Are you currently enrolled in their course? I have their Advantage course....

I was wondering if you have had a chance to go through TBR or TPR and if you had any comments on Kaplan versus the other ones. I have 2 months left, haven't done any passages, and I was wondering if I should start just with Section Test from Kaplan, or before doing those, work on TPR and TBR?

Thanks man

Great post, thank you.

Are you currently enrolled in their course? I have their Advantage course....

I was wondering if you have had a chance to go through TBR or TPR and if you had any comments on Kaplan versus the other ones. I have 2 months left, haven't done any passages, and I was wondering if I should start just with Section Test from Kaplan, or before doing those, work on TPR and TBR?

Thanks man
I am currently enrolled in a Kaplan course and just going to use Kaplan resources. They are the best in my opinion (except verbal is tougher, but then again I find all verbal resources besides AAMC pretty brutal)

Went through 1 TBR CBT, and decided that i'm not used to the way they have their passages/questions worded, it really throws me off. It's my opinion that the TBR exams are not like the real MCAT for verbal (especially), the question stems are really poor. As for the PS/BS I do feel they are like the MCAT in terms of information, but I also feel like they are way to specific.

I used TPR/Kaplan books for review, and found Kaplan tests very similar to the actual MCAT (I took the actual exam July 26th last year, and I wish I would have prepped with Kaplan beforehand.)

I would do/review the exams in this order:
Kaplan FL 1
Kaplan FL 2
AAMC 3
Kaplan FL 3
AAMC 4
Kaplan FL 4
AAMC 5
Kaplan FL 5
AAMC 7
Kaplan FL 6
AAMC 8
Kaplan FL 9
AAMC 9
Kaplan FL 10
Kaplan FL 11
Kaplan section/topical tests
AAMC 10
AAMC 11 (would do AAMC 10/11 the last week before the exam)

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently enrolled in a Kaplan course and just going to use Kaplan resources. They are the best in my opinion (except verbal is tougher, but then again I find all verbal resources besides AAMC pretty brutal)

Went through 1 TBR CBT, and decided that i'm not used to the way they have their passages/questions worded, it really throws me off. It's my opinion that the TBR exams are not like the real MCAT for verbal (especially), the question stems are really poor. As for the PS/BS I do feel they are like the MCAT in terms of information, but I also feel like they are way to specific.

I used TPR/Kaplan books for review, and found Kaplan tests very similar to the actual MCAT (I took the actual exam July 26th last year, and I wish I would have prepped with Kaplan beforehand.)

Kaplan FL 1
Kaplan FL 2
AAMC 3
Kaplan FL 3
AAMC 4
Kaplan FL 4
AAMC 5
Kaplan FL 5
AAMC 7
Kaplan FL 6
AAMC 8
Kaplan FL 9
AAMC 9
Kaplan FL 10
Kaplan FL 11
AAMC 10

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it !!

Best of luck

Kaplan FL 1
Kaplan FL 2
AAMC 3
Kaplan FL 3
AAMC 4
Kaplan FL 4
AAMC 5
Kaplan FL 5
AAMC 7
Kaplan FL 6
AAMC 8
Kaplan FL 9
AAMC 9
Kaplan FL 10
Kaplan FL 11
AAMC 10

Surprised you recommend doing Section/Topicals way at the end. I agree with everything you said except for that part. I think the section tests are really important (especially verbal) because they help you get your timing down and help you focus on a specific section. Topicals are great while you practice specific material because it introduces you to the various applications of the material. Section/Topicals also condition your expectations for hard material (not to mention that kick in the ass when you get 60% and then decide to study an extra hour or two). So I agree with that order, but I would definitely make time for sections between FL unless your using other timed material to improve in between.

Surprised you recommend doing Section/Topicals way at the end. I agree with everything you said except for that part. I think the section tests are really important (especially verbal) because they help you get your timing down and help you focus on a specific section. Topicals are great while you practice specific material because it introduces you to the various applications of the material. Section/Topicals also condition your expectations for hard material (not to mention that kick in the ass when you get 60% and then decide to study an extra hour or two). So I agree with that order, but I would definitely make time for sections between FL unless your using other timed material to improve in between.

Thanks for your great input!

Im still debating on how I should spend my 2months left til the exam...

My 2 possible options:

1. Work on Topical/Section/subject tests, take kaplan FL and AAMC, if there is a topic I absolutely suck at, refer to TBR or TPR

2. forget Kaplan, use TBR, do like 10 passages from each chapter, only do Kaplan FLs...

Which one would you suggest?

All I can say since I have not taken the exam yet is that my friend and I started with almost identical skills. I am happy using Kaplan and I am doing ok, but having ALOT of trouble on PS. He did SN2ed for 3 months with strictly TBR and he got a 36 in Jan, on the test that had the killer PS section. He (and many others too) swears by TBR PS. So yeah, I would have to recommend hammering TBR for Gchem and Physics like no other.

All I can say since I have not taken the exam yet is that my friend and I started with almost identical skills. I am happy using Kaplan and I am doing ok, but having ALOT of trouble on PS. He did SN2ed for 3 months with strictly TBR and he got a 36 in Jan, on the test that had the killer PS section. He (and many others too) swears by TBR PS. So yeah, I would have to recommend hammering TBR for Gchem and Physics like no other.

Many thanks !!

It's been a long 3 months gearing up for 4/11 test. I'm excited just to get it over with. Been following SN2ed strictly. My FLs are averaging 28 right now. I took 6R last and got PS: 8 VR: 11 BS: 9 . Haven't been able to break that 30 barrier yet, but I'm confident I will. I got my hands on Gold Standard videos and started watching them, I think they've been a big help. It seems some of the content slips away as you try to cram more in, so they've been a great review/refresher and the guy sometime presents unique perspective to help you amalgamate everything in your head. I take FL 8 CBT on friday and I'm really really hoping to finally hit that 30!

It's been a long 3 months gearing up for 4/11 test. I'm excited just to get it over with. Been following SN2ed strictly. My FLs are averaging 28 right now. I took 6R last and got PS: 8 VR: 11 BS: 9 . Haven't been able to break that 30 barrier yet, but I'm confident I will. I got my hands on Gold Standard videos and started watching them, I think they've been a big help. It seems some of the content slips away as you try to cram more in, so they've been a great review/refresher and the guy sometime presents unique perspective to help you amalgamate everything in your head. I take FL 8 CBT on friday and I'm really really hoping to finally hit that 30!

AAMC FL 8 on Friday for me too! :) Good luck buddy!

I watched the Gold Standard videos at the very beginning of my prep. Sort of like a "warm-up". They do not nearly cover enough material, but Carlton from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air does a pretty good job of simplifying a few topics.

For me, the smartest thing I've done while prepping, has been to take efficient notes every day during content review. This usually made my content review days quite long. My notes themselves are not long, but they are simple ways to help remind me of stuff. This way I can cover all my notes in a relatively short time and keep content from slipping from memory. I also judiciously used several different colored pens and highlighters to coordinate certain topics or ideas within a subject. I found the colors to be a HUGE help in recall, because then it wasn't like trying to remember simple text, it was more like trying to remember a picture.