The Official April MCAT 2015 Takers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emulsifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've seen some old threads (from 2012, or early 2014) on the MCAT2015.

I am wondering if we can bring resources together here, discussions for those who are planning on taking the new one in or after April.

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new prep material for 2015, and the chance to compare the different companies? I scoured the internet, obviously not much at the moment. But I know someone out there has started, just need to get this info out!

Edit:
Resources mentioned in this thread or elsewhere:

• Free mini-test: AAMC MCAT 2015 12 sample questions and answer (3 x 4 sections)
  • Next Step guide here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
  • TPR 2015 books: They seem to be the same as their previous books. Their bio book has a chapter on biochem.
  • Kaplan 2015 books: removed content that is not tested. Physics section is 400 pages (may be too much for the new MCAT). Very little practice. Whole book on biochem.
  • EK 9th edition books: reformatted the whole book. SDNer reviewer has said that even parts with same illustrations have whole new contents. Got rid of topics that won't be tested. May be too condensed though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm glad you felt like you did well on the psych part! What did you use to study for it? Thank you!
Honestly I'm probably not the best person to ask because I was a psych major, so I really didn't spend time studying for it--just skimmed to remind myself of material I'd already learned multiple times. I'd ask people who had little to no exposure to psych if they felt good on it and go from there :)

For the Psych/Soc section, was it more memorization heavy? For example, did they have lots of questions like what's the difference between culture and a society? Or is it one of those sections that require minimal previous knowledge and had lots of inferences. For example, based on the passage, what do you think should happen when variable x increases? THANKS from a super nervous May test taker!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For the Psych/Soc section, was it more memorization heavy? For example, did they have lots of questions like what's the difference between culture and a society? Or is it one of those sections that require minimal previous knowledge and had lots of inferences. For example, based on the passage, what do you think should happen when variable x increases? THANKS for a super nervous May test taker!

Without going into any specifics, its a mix of CARS and the 2 science sections on the test. You have to know your stuff AND how to apply them within context of a passage.

For the Psych/Soc section, was it more memorization heavy? For example, did they have lots of questions like what's the difference between culture and a society? Or is it one of those sections that require minimal previous knowledge and had lots of inferences. For example, based on the passage, what do you think should happen when variable x increases? THANKS for a super nervous May test taker!
I took the test on Saturday. I'd say it was a combination of memorization or understanding the theories/terms and being able to apply them to a given scenario. So, it wasn't specifically "what's the difference?" but more so "this scenario is an example of which of the following?" The answer choices might include similar terms, and you'd need to know the difference between them.
I have never taken intro psychology or sociology, but I was familiar with some of the concepts from education and human development/family studies classes. I took a Kaplan course and self-studied the review book for Behavioral Sciences. Overall, I felt the section was pretty self-explanatory, and I breezed through it.

Do you think AAMC made this test too hard because it is their first draft and they don't know where to go or they deliberately made it hard to kill pre-meds. What's the possibility of future test being easier? cuz I won't take MCAT until 2 years later so I am not going to worry about memorizing stuff this early if the test is going to get easier

Without going into any specifics, its a mix of CARS and the 2 science sections on the test. You have to know your stuff AND how to apply them within context of a passage.

I took the test on Saturday. I'd say it was a combination of memorization or understanding the theories/terms and being able to apply them to a given scenario. So, it wasn't specifically "what's the difference?" but more so "this scenario is an example of which of the following?" The answer choices might include similar terms, and you'd need to know the difference between them.
I have never taken intro psychology or sociology, but I was familiar with some of the concepts from education and human development/family studies classes. I took a Kaplan course and self-studied the review book for Behavioral Sciences. Overall, I felt the section was pretty self-explanatory, and I breezed through it.

Thanks! I guess I'll still have to memorize stuff :(

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think AAMC made this test too hard because it is their first draft and they don't know where to go or they deliberately made it hard to kill pre-meds. What's the possibility of future test being easier? cuz I won't take MCAT until 2 years later so I am not going to worry about memorizing stuff this early if the test is going to get easier
The test itself will not be likely to change. The prep companies however, will develop better materials for you to study from. You will also likely hear more and more about the test as more kids take it. And 2 years down the road I would expect at least 4 or 5 official full length practice tests to be out. So it may be easier to study for, but the test itself will probably remain as is.

Reactions: 3 users

When you are learning the concepts, always try to apply them with examples and group it with similar concepts; also try to apply them with something personal in your life (self-reference effect). The more of a semantic network you build with the concepts the better you will know them in the long run. Memorizing by itself won't do any good. I recommend you review memory and learning (from psych outline) first.

Last edited:
When you are learning the concepts, always try to apply them with examples and group it with similar concepts; also try to apply them with something personal in your life (self-reference effect). The more of a semantic network you build with the concepts the better you will know them in the long run. Memorizing by itself won't do any good. I recommend you review memory and learning (from psych outline) first.
Yeah, but there are some stuff you need to memorize that you won't necessarily be able to make a meaningful connection (like a person's name), right? Those stuff suck, but imo, would be wise to memorize?
Yup. I thought I'd be okay with memorizing the important concepts... but seeing as some people advised me to memorize the details as well (since it did help with some passages), guess it's time to memorize the small details & understand the big concepts.

Same here, I would have to do wayyy worse than I am aiming in order to consider retesting! I even threw away my mcat books because even if I do end up having to retake, I know now they're useless and know what I'd focus on instead (biochem textbook and aggressively reading publications in top biochem journals). I kept the box of flashcards I made though. Here's to hoping that being the guinea pigs and working our butts off paid off!

I keep all my prep books and notes and such for the MCAT in a small cubby that is situated dead-ahead of my door when I walk into my room...Every time I walk in and see them I shake my head, let a single tear roll down my face and contemplate burning the whole stack of em'

Reactions: 4 users
I keep all my prep books and notes and such for the MCAT in a small cubby that is situated dead-ahead of my door when I walk into my room...Every time I walk in and see them I shake my head, let a single tear roll down my face and contemplate burning the whole stack of em'
hahaha, I had to get them out of the house--when I did, the nightmares subsided..

It's worth to remember that as much as memorizing the enzymes names or chemical structures of metabolic intermediates are necessary, they are not nearly enough for answering questions. You also need to know how various internal or external factors (fasting, hypoxia, etc) will endocrinologically affect these variables. Basically, you need to develop a holistic and interrelated view of biology, physiology and biochemistry at molecular levels.

Members don't see this ad :)
In contrast, I let out a small tear every time I'm reminded of the time I burned all of my biochem notes as post-grad celebration.

This may be a little bit of a stretch, but is anyone suffering from a PTSD like feeling after taking the exam last week? After studying non stop for 3 months straight I now find myself extremely unmotivated, depressed, and tired. I still have about a month left of my semester and also want to start preparing my personal statement and medical school applications, so I really need to get over this quickly. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This may be a little bit of a stretch, but is anyone suffering from a PTSD like feeling after taking the exam last week? After studying non stop for 3 months straight I now find myself extremely unmotivated, depressed, and tired. I still have about a month left of my semester and also want to start preparing my personal statement and medical school applications, so I really need to get over this quickly. Does anyone have any suggestions?
SDN is not the best place for health advice. I suggest popping a visit to your college's health center.

Can anyone touch on CARS? I'm the kind of person who likes to preview the q-stems before reading, but given the new interface, is it even worth incorporating this into my strategy considering that only one question pops up at a time? Anyone have any experience with this either on the practice AAMC or the real thing?

SDN is not the best place for health advice. I suggest popping a visit to your college's health center.
This^^^

And I feel a little bit the same. You work yourself up for so many months, working towards a single date. The date comes and passes and we still won't know how we did for another few weeks. You're not alone!

Can anyone touch on CARS? I'm the kind of person who likes to preview the q-stems before reading, but given the new interface, is it even worth incorporating this into my strategy considering that only one question pops up at a time? Anyone have any experience with this either on the practice AAMC or the real thing?

Sorry, but it's not worth it anymore. Like you said, you are given one question at a time. In the event that you chose to read the questions first, you're going to loose a lot of time because the screen takes a few seconds to load after you hit the "next" button and those seconds are going to add up.

That's exactly why I spread the duration of study to 2 years. 1st=content, 2nd=format. In this way, the sutdying is ALOT less concentrated.

Sorry, but it's not worth it anymore. Like you said, you are given one question at a time. In the event that you chose to read the questions first, you're going to loose a lot of time because the screen takes a few seconds to load after you hit the "next" button and those seconds are going to add up.
Are you serious? They don't allow you to preview the questions all on one screen? Geez, that's really gonna screw some people over.

Superficial question here -- how are we going to receive the Amazon gift card?

Probably similar to how they did it for those who did the trial sections last year. You'll receive an amazon code that you enter into your amazon account and you get your money. I could be wrong, but I think it'll be the same way.

Thank you StarFall but I believe more needs to be said. Sadly, this is a common misconception about trauma.

BackpacksMadebyJanSport - let me educate you. PTSD stands for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This is a real medical condition that results in symptoms like the inability to concentrate, sensitivity to everyday occurrences like hyperactivity to honking horns or loud sudden noises. It results in about 1/3 (estimated, maybe more) of persons who experience life-threatening situations, and was first studied in soldiers who came back from war. Soldiers who may have seen their closest comrades blown to shreds or may have regained consciousness in a pile of corpses while suffering from malaria at the same time. Others get PTSD from repeated rape from a family member (called incest) or being held at gunpoint, having a knife to your throat and being raped and left for dead, or witnessing guerillas rape and murder your parents or siblings and you end up a refuge. PTSD occurs higher with the more trauma experienced. Other symptoms include insomnia and the inability to relate to others, like feeling isolated. Long-term PTSD may lead to suicide and lead into hypertension, heart disease, and a slew of problems that come with homelessness, depression, the inability to retain employment or close relationships.

This is my version of the general scope of PTSD. Your stress about taking the MCAT is not a life-threatening situation. You don't have PTSD, nor do you ever want to have PTSD. This is a real disease, and as a pre-professional I hope I have enlightened you even if its just a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you StarFall but I believe more needs to be said. Sadly, this is a common misconception about trauma.

BackpacksMadebyJanSport - let me educate you. PTSD stands for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This is a real medical condition that results in symptoms like the inability to concentrate, sensitivity to everyday occurrences like hyperactivity to honking horns or loud sudden noises. It results in about 1/3 (estimated, maybe more) of persons who experience life-threatening situations, and was first studied in soldiers who came back from war. Soldiers who may have seen their closest comrades blown to shreds or may have regained consciousness in a pile of corpses while suffering from malaria at the same time. Others get PTSD from repeated rape from a family member (called incest) or being held at gunpoint, having a knife to your throat and being raped and left for dead, or witnessing guerillas rape and murder your parents or siblings and you end up a refuge. PTSD occurs higher with the more trauma experienced. Other symptoms include insomnia and the inability to relate to others, like feeling isolated. Long-term PTSD may lead to suicide and lead into hypertension, heart disease, and a slew of problems that come with homelessness, depression, the inability to retain employment or close relationships.

This is my version of the general scope of PTSD. Your stress about taking the MCAT is not a life-threatening situation. You don't have PTSD, nor do you ever want to have PTSD. This is a real disease, and as a pre-professional I hope I have enlightened you even if its just a little.
I believe he is just using a figure of speech to describe his situation, no that he really believe he get PTSD

I've never laughed and cringed at the same time before, thanks for that

Reactions: 6 users

Eeek... I don't mean for this thread to turn into a debate on mental illness, but I do feel the need to clarify two things here. For context, I spent over half my undergrad doing mental health advocacy and education, and am currently employed full-time at a psychiatric hospital where I work with forensic patients, many of whom have PTSD.

This is a real medical condition

Calling it a medical condition is misleading. While one can have a genetic predisposition to developing PTSD over someone without that predisposition, it is largely still considered a psychological disorder. And it is still heavily debated whether the biomedical approach to psychological disorders is appropriate, as it tends to ignore the significant effects one's environment, social network, and psychological state has on the development and maintenance of a mental health disorder.

It results in about 1/3 (estimated, maybe more) of persons who experience life-threatening situations

It's not that the trauma is life-threatening, and it doesn't need to involve quite as egregious situations as you described; it's that it involves a situation where the individual feels helpless, hopeless, terrorized, and/or incapable of escaping from the situation. So simply being in a car accident can lead to PTSD. And it's important to note that one doesn't need to have experienced the trauma first-hand; you can also develop PTSD in response to hearing about a traumatic experience.

The idea that one must have encountered an extreme trauma in order to have PTSD can demean the experiences of those who acquired it through relatively less extreme circumstances.

Ugh...this is what happens when a bunch of pre-meds start trying to "educate" each other. No offense to either of you, but let's get back to discussing the April MCAT, please.

Reactions: 14 users
I am anxious for our scores to come out! I have no idea how I did. I felt like time flew by, the entire test was a blur, and I guessed on more than I wanted to.

Just in case, I registered for a June retake. Did anyone else sign up for a potential June retake?

I am anxious for our scores to come out! I have no idea how I did. I felt like time flew by, the entire test was a blur, and I guessed on more than I wanted to.

Just in case, I registered for a June retake. Did anyone else sign up for a potential June retake?
I signed up for a potential gap year if my score went to ****. :laugh: You think applying to medical school is stressful? Try convincing my mom to let me spend a year on the couch. Aint no way in heck I'm getting a job, or god forbid... go to ... grad school

Eeek... I don't mean for this thread to turn into a debate on mental illness, but I do feel the need to clarify two things here. For context, I spent over half my undergrad doing mental health advocacy and education, and am currently employed full-time at a psychiatric hospital where I work with forensic patients, many of whom have PTSD.

Calling it a medical condition is misleading. While one can have a genetic predisposition to developing PTSD over someone without that predisposition, it is largely still considered a psychological disorder. And it is still heavily debated whether the biomedical approach to psychological disorders is appropriate, as it tends to ignore the significant effects one's environment, social network, and psychological state has on the development and maintenance of a mental health disorder.

It's not that the trauma is life-threatening, and it doesn't need to involve quite as egregious situations as you described; it's that it involves a situation where the individual feels helpless, hopeless, terrorized, and/or incapable of escaping from the situation. So simply being in a car accident can lead to PTSD. And it's important to note that one doesn't need to have experienced the trauma first-hand; you can also develop PTSD in response to hearing about a traumatic experience.

The idea that one must have encountered an extreme trauma in order to have PTSD can demean the experiences of those who acquired it through relatively less extreme circumstances.
At least it is being addressed the right way. With your experience, would you say that one can develop PTSD from studying and stressing about the MCAT or not?

I agree defining it gets controversial. There is very little evidence pointing to a genetic component, unlike alcohol addiction (before you refute this statement, it would be helpful if you had sources to back up your point). By "condition" I mean disability one has to live with,meaning those who collect disability benefits for PTSD disability. I disagree my lingo makes it more or less misleading. I don't agree that one can get PTSD by just hearing about it. Do you have a source for this? Also, it IS more likely that someone will develop PTSD by experiencing egregrious situations versus getting into a car accident (unless you want to clearly define 'car accident'). To stay on point, are you able to sum it up and say one seriously can be diagnosed and qualify for disability benefits with PTSD from stressing about the MCAT? I seriously doubt it and if I ever heard about this I would seriously question the credentials of that clinician. I hope this makes sense.

I signed up for a potential gap year if my score went to ****. :laugh: You think applying to medical school is stressful? Try convincing my mom to let me spend a year on the couch. Aint no way in heck I'm getting a job, or god forbid... go to ... grad school
Your poor mother :cool:

@Bookworm36 perhaps the op's use of the term PTSD wasn't the most appropriate, but neither are your multiple attempts to publicly berate someone/establish superior knowledge.

I certainly don't come on this forum to read arguments over who knows more about what, I doubt the op does, and I doubt other users do or want to. Please bring your issues up with the op in a private message if you wish to harp on this.

Reactions: 4 users
That's exactly why I spread the duration of study to 2 years. 1st=content, 2nd=format. In this way, the sutdying is ALOT less concentrated.

This is the most inefficient study method I heard of to date.

I see a lot of people's opinions on how hard the test was but can anyone who used EK as their main source of content review please tell us their opinion on how EK prepared them....if it was enough or not sufficient.

This is the most inefficient study method I heard of to date.
It is NOT cuz I have prereq classes which is similiar to the MCAT content. In this way I do not have to study the content after I forgot everything, therefore it is actually more efficient. Then after the prereqs are done, I can familiarize myself with the format the also catch up on some missed content

I got a question about skipping passages. so I know the computer now view one question at a time. but is there a button to skip the passage as a whole? Or do I have to press next 5 times or what amount of question is assigned for that particular passage?

I got a question about skipping passages. so I know the computer now view one question at a time. but is there a button to skip the passage as a whole? Or do I have to press next 5 times or what amount of question is assigned for that particular passage?

I don't think there was anything like that. Instead of clicking next five times, I'd recommended looking at the top of the passage where it says how many questions there are (example 31-36, or 12-16), make a mental note of the numbers, click on the "review" button at the bottom, select the question that comes afterword and use that to jump to the next passage.

Reactions: 2 users
I see a lot of people's opinions on how hard the test was but can anyone who used EK as their main source of content review please tell us their opinion on how EK prepared them....if it was enough or not sufficient.
Yeah it definitely wont be enough for psych/social and biochem. For the biology, physics, and chem, it is adequate. You should watch the khan videos for psych/social. I did not ,however, I wish I would have, but obviously time was a factor. For biochem, study class notes. If you have not taken biochem, I would not even suggest taking the test. It just makes it more difficult. Also, watch the videos on Khan for Bio, but 2x the speed because otherwise it is slow and boring af.

Now that you guys have taken the test, would you have taken the Sample test earlier, later, or at the same time you took it?
I'm taking the AAMC Guide questions tomorrow about 3 weeks before the May 22 date and the AAMC Sample test next weekend, giving me 2.5 weeks to review both before my test date. I work FT so thoughts on if I should take these later or if my schedule is fine?

Now that you guys have taken the test, would you have taken the Sample test earlier, later, or at the same time you took it?
I'm taking the AAMC Guide questions tomorrow about 3 weeks before the May 22 date and the AAMC Sample test next weekend, giving me 2.5 weeks to review both before my test date. I work FT so thoughts on if I should take these later or if my schedule is fine?
I'd take it tomorrow like you plan to. My advice: go through this test with a fine toothed comb. Go through every question regardless of whether you got it right or wrong. Read the explanation the test gives. Think about it and put it into your own words, then reflect on it. My strategy was to become as familiar as I could with the AAMC reasoning/explanation. I felt like it really helps. At least it was for me!

Yeah it definitely wont be enough for psych/social and biochem. For the biology, physics, and chem, it is adequate. You should watch the khan videos for psych/social. I did not ,however, I wish I would have, but obviously time was a factor. For biochem, study class notes. If you have not taken biochem, I would not even suggest taking the test. It just makes it more difficult. Also, watch the videos on Khan for Bio, but 2x the speed because otherwise it is slow and boring af.

How much harder was the biochem than the bio 1 and bio 2 books from EK? I have the new TPR book for all of the material, would that help?

Do the official question guide first, look at solutions, assess problem areas, re study, then take the sample test soon after. Although, I thought the official question guide was harder, so perhaps switching the order might be better.

If I had the choice, I would have taken the sample test at the very beginning and not look at any solutions. That way, I can take it again 1-2 months afterwards as if it was a new test, because I won't remember what the answer was.. With such limited practice materials, you have to make the most of it.

Last edited:
Did anyone use the Kaplan Books/take the Kaplan course? How much do you think that the Kaplan 2015 books helped? Anything you would change in your study habits?

Do the official question guide first, look at solutions, assess problem areas, re study, then take the sample test soon after. Although, I thought the official question guide was harder, so perhaps switching the order might be better.

If I had the choice, I would have taken the sample test at the very beginning and not look at any solutions. That way, I can take it again 1-2 months afterwards as if it was a new test, because I won't remember what the answer was.. With such limited practice materials, you have to make the most of it.
That's my plan as of now. Guide questions, review solutions, review concept areas throughout the work week, sample test the following weekend. Thanks for the reassurance!

As for retaking the sample test, I think it would help, but only to assess if you really touched upon your mistakes. If you get it wrong the 2nd time around, you at least know you can review that area more. I know 1-2 months isn't long enough because I remember questions from the question packs back when I took them last March (I'm a re-taker). Maybe I have a pretty strong episodic memory which helps the semantic memory of the questions (shameless memory concept plug), but either way, I don't think it would've been wise to retake a test only 1-2 months after. /devilsadvocate