The Official August 16, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome everyone! For those following the SN2ed or a similar 3-month study schedule, prep should begin in the next few weeks.

Hope to see some ambitious and optimistic people here with me, and shout out to the 3/23'ers from before I bailed on that test date.

Let's go!

Members don't see this ad.

Timing shouldn't be too bad, I've always been a really fast test writer. I personally like allocating 7 minutes per passage just because I always have anxiety problems on a test where I need to just stop and breathe and look at a question from a new perspective. Like I said, I wouldn't worry at all about going up to 8 or 9 minutes on a passage since there's always a couple that will take 4 or 5 minutes.

Yeah thats a good point. I have the hardest time finishing bio passages on time. On my 4/26 test there was a bio passage I stared at for at least 15 minutes. TBR bio passages take me at least 10 minutes, but I'm trying to get quicker with those.

Whew, just finished Day 1.

I'm doing SN2ed with TBR Verbal concurrently alongside EK and TPRH, and TPRH Science Workbook alongside TBR and EK 1001 passages. Lots of passages!

So I'm thinking I'll do something similar to what I did in the 3/23 thread with the Facts of the Day?

I'll post interesting tips and things that I have as I come up with them. Everyone else is welcome to as well! Our scores aren't dependent on each others', so we might as well all help each other succeed.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got way too distracted today, I don't think it's worth working from 12-3 am to finish up this bio chapter. I'm a couple days ahead of schedule so I think I'll just relax and start fresh tomorrow.

I have some Kaplan tests, 2 in a book and then 2 online ones to go with it so I do need some extra days. I'll have to find a way to fit those in too.

Well, it took a grand total of one passage into TBR Verbal before I found an answer I disagree with. This does not bode well.

Also, of course I get a cold the second day into the schedule, and the day I have to pack up my apartment to move out tomorrow. Great. :thumbdown:

Hope everyone else's Friday is going well!

If only... I did my daily 3 verbal passages and got a whopping 50% of them correct. My main problem seems to be paying attention to the details, I have no problem figuring out the main idea of a passage but I always get stuck between two answers and don't realize that one little detail makes one wrong. And then there are a few that I would never get, no matter how long I took.

Nearly done my chapter of bio but verbal's got me down.

bump bump~ hows everyone doing? im starting on Gen Chem chapter 2 today, looks like lots to cover :/

Not applying until next cycle but want this test date or early September. Is everyone mostly applying this cycle? I am actually spending time now reviewing Basic Math ( exponents), its a lot of stuff I forgot ( smh) lol. But I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions to remembering the MATH fundamentals?

I don't know what happened but verbal just started making sense to me for some reason. I read the section in EK's verbal and math and I'm finding that all I need to do is know the main idea and then pick apart the questions/answers. Been hitting 11-12 as opposed to the 7-8 that I was at earlier.

The weird part is I feel less confident when I'm done, I expect 2/7 because it feels like I've guessed everything.

I don't know what happened but verbal just started making sense to me for some reason. I read the section in EK's verbal and math and I'm finding that all I need to do is know the main idea and then pick apart the questions/answers. Been hitting 11-12 as opposed to the 7-8 that I was at earlier.

The weird part is I feel less confident when I'm done, I expect 2/7 because it feels like I've guessed everything.

Thats awesome! What do you mean by pick apart the questions/answers? What is your thought process?

Thats awesome! What do you mean by pick apart the questions/answers? What is your thought process?

I don't want to sound like an advertisement for EK, but I really liked how they described it in their verbal/math book. They make you do a few sets of questions without the passages to show you how much info is actually contained in the questions and their answer choices.

For questions that ask you which would weaken the author's claim that X is true, you now know that the author thinks that X is true. If you have TPRH verbal, look at passage 7 questions 6 and 7 (2010 edition), those two questions tell you 2 of the author's key arguments right away.

Look at the choices for question 6 ("Which of the following...away from polytheism?"), B clearly strengthens the question statement, cross it out. Note that C appears to cause B to occur (more magic cults would be monotheistic if it was shown that Zeus made people obey laws), can't have 2 right answers, so C must be wrong. Already without any info from the passage, you know the answer is A or D. If you read D closely, you see a contradiction between the idea of enclosing a variety of personalities and the move from polytheism (isn't enclosing a variety of personalities actually a reason for polytheism?). Choice A is kind of vague and although I couldn't think of a reason to cross it out it feels like a trap. As another example, look at question 3 without any knowledge from the passage, 2 answers contradict each other so one of them must be right. Look at the other 2 answer choices to see which one they align with and you've got your answer.

You'll usually find that there's an answer that seems obviously correct, you have to learn to avoid this one as it's usually too vague or is pulled verbatim from the passage without answering the question.

When a question starts with "According to the passage...", I usually head back to that part of the passage and skim for key words. I've found that this type of question is the one type where a directly quoted answer from the passage can be correct.

I would highly recommend spending some time reading through the verbal section in the EK book, I was treating it like a tricky detail-oriented section before and EK helped change that.

O Grady, I'm about to send you a PM too. ;)

ETA: I've found that the EK books usually have an answer that your gut disagrees with but you can't prove wrong for sure. Trust your gut on those one and go for something else.

Using EK for learning bio and then TBR for passages is scaring me a little. A few of the questions are things that I've never seen or go way beyond the scope of what EK says to learn. What percentage right should I be expecting on these to assume I have a decent understanding of the chapter? I understand that the analysis afterwards is the most important part but getting 3/8 on a passage is not very comforting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Using EK for learning bio and then TBR for passages is scaring me a little. A few of the questions are things that I've never seen or go way beyond the scope of what EK says to learn. What percentage right should I be expecting on these to assume I have a decent understanding of the chapter? I understand that the analysis afterwards is the most important part but getting 3/8 on a passage is not very comforting.

I know what you mean, I just had my first passage where I didn't get a single question right (0/7) :(. It's frustrating, but I try and not let the detail oriented passages get me down. After taking the real MCAT, I see why people say TBR is a good source for practice, because it also has experimental passages where a heavy understanding of the passage is key, which feel the most like my real test.

I know what you mean, I just had my first passage where I didn't get a single question right (0/7) :(. It's frustrating, but I try and not let the detail oriented passages get me down. After taking the real MCAT, I see why people say TBR is a good source for practice, because it also has experimental passages where a heavy understanding of the passage is key, which feel the most like my real test.

I actually enjoy the experimental passages so far and I'm getting a lot of the questions based on the passage right and I credit that to spending the summer after my first year in a genetics lab. A quick look at the ones I got wrong are a lot of the chemistry behind it which I hope will start to make sense as I get further in orgo. Have another couple passages to get through that correspond to the first lecture of EK, I'll add the scores up and then decide where to go from there I guess.

Okay guys, this thread has been dead. Sarvish, Grady, let's get this thing going! Let's get some content in here!

Here are some awesome videos I for covering pedigrees:

[YOUTUBE]qolJlhVg6mw[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]svtHWJdQYOk[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]aawnAC3H_YI[/YOUTUBE]

Okay guys, this thread has been dead. Sarvish, Grady, let's get this thing going! Let's get some content in here!

Here are some awesome videos I for covering pedigrees:

Great vids. The accent helps me pay attention too.

Btw under your screen name...Are those your scores from practice tests?

I'm taking it August 15, close enough?

Bio: TPRH, Kaplan, and EK
Physics: TPRH, EK
Gen Chem: TPRH, EK
Ochem: EK

4/10 done with TPRH Chem, and trudging along with the Bio and Ochem stuff...I think I'll leave the Physics for a bit later, but definitely will start sometime first week of June on that! Hoping to have content review done by end of June...? Or actually, how many times should one re-read the books? I also have EK1001 for all of them, so I guess do that after finishing content review, and go back to content review after 1001, while making sure to leave ~4 weeks for FLs?

Right? I was wondering if you guys died or something...haha. I'm chugging away, but a bit behind my schedule. I need to take a few days off and finish up my apps and start my PS...so I think I'm going to do that this week. This is probably a good time since I'm feeling a little case of burnout, plus my 4/26 test scores come out on wednesday, so motivation to study is at an all time minimum.

I'm getting close to the halfway point of content review. Where is everyone else at/how is it going?

Right? I was wondering if you guys died or something...haha. I'm chugging away, but a bit behind my schedule. I need to take a few days off and finish up my apps and start my PS...so I think I'm going to do that this week. This is probably a good time since I'm feeling a little case of burnout, plus my 4/26 test scores come out on wednesday, so motivation to study is at an all time minimum.

I'm getting close to the halfway point of content review. Where is everyone else at/how is it going?

I hope your 4/26 test goes amazingly well and you won't have to write with us. :D

I'm really far behind with content review, been a rough week, I believe it's 81 days until our test and I'm not even done all the Chapter 2's. 11 pm now, probably going to buckle down for another 2 hours and then relax for a little afterwards. I really need to find time to get out of the house once in a while.

OMSAS applications open mid-July for me so I have some time before dealing with applications. Only school I'm applying to doesn't care about ECs but I still need to start harassing people for my 3 reference letters.

I'm taking it August 15, close enough?

Bio: TPRH, Kaplan, and EK
Physics: TPRH, EK
Gen Chem: TPRH, EK
Ochem: EK

4/10 done with TPRH Chem, and trudging along with the Bio and Ochem stuff...I think I'll leave the Physics for a bit later, but definitely will start sometime first week of June on that! Hoping to have content review done by end of June...? Or actually, how many times should one re-read the books? I also have EK1001 for all of them, so I guess do that after finishing content review, and go back to content review after 1001, while making sure to leave ~4 weeks for FLs?

Well if you don't want your own thread I guess that'd be okay. :p

Alright guys, so I mentioned this in the SN2ed summer thread, but this will be a good review and exercise for anyone interested!

Watch this video (and others in the series if you like them) and try to pick out the glaring error!

[YOUTUBE]WVrlHH14q3o[/YOUTUBE]

Is it bad that I didn't notice the error?

I can't see it either, I just didn't want to be the only idiot to not notice.

Uh oh... Haha it actually is kind of important. When I first watched the video I paused it and gave the screen an odd look because I immediately thought "that's not right..."

Start at around 5:50 and check again.

Uh oh... Haha it actually is kind of important. When I first watched the video I paused it and gave the screen an odd look because I immediately thought "that's not right..."

Start at around 5:50 and check again.

Still don't get it. It doesn't help that phys was long time ago and I haven't reviewed that content yet.

Still don't get it. It doesn't help that phys was long time ago and I haven't reviewed that content yet.

Ah I don't blame you then, I just thought it would be a good exercise, wasn't trying to rub it in or anything lol.

The problem is with his characterization of the release of epinephrine. He says ACTH stimulates epi release, but that is totally wrong. The adrenal medulla is stimulated directly via the sympathetic nervous system, which is why the fight or flight response is so fast when something scares you; your nervous system can almost instantaneously squeeze epi out of your adrenals and into your blood.

If it occurred like he said, ACTH would have to go via your blood all the way from your pituitary in the head down to the adrenals first, which would be really inefficient time-wise.

What ACTH actually does is stimulate the secretion of glucocorticoids, primarily cortisol, from the adrenal cortex.

Hey guys. Hope everyone's studying is going well!
Do you think the august dates are pretty much filled up at this point? It's too late to reschedule my exam but because I have it registered there's no way for me to check which dates in august are still available.

Hey guys. Hope everyone's studying is going well!
Do you think the august dates are pretty much filled up at this point? It's too late to reschedule my exam but because I have it registered there's no way for me to check which dates in august are still available.

Depends on the location. I think the sites in close proximity to college campuses fill up first. So if you're willing to travel...I've heard of some people flying across the country to get a certain test date.

Anyone found a verbal strategy that works for them consistently? Using ek101 I typically get 2-3 questions wrong per passage due to missing a key word or phrase. I can get the main idea almost all the time but I can't remember the details of the passage very well (ie how the author phrased it etc)

Anyone found a verbal strategy that works for them consistently? Using ek101 I typically get 2-3 questions wrong per passage due to missing a key word or phrase. I can get the main idea almost all the time but I can't remember the details of the passage very well (ie how the author phrased it etc)

A lot of people piss on this strategy but it works for me:

I have found reading the questions (not the answer choices) beforehand and writing 1-2 key words for each question really helps give me an idea what the passage is about, as well as lets you know if there are any detail questions so you know to look for them. The trick with this is timing, so never take more than 1 minute to do this, and you kind of need to haul balls through the passage but it makes the question answering go faster. I was scoring 4-5s using the EK strategy, but once I started doing this is jumped up to 9-10s.

Hey guys! I literally just signed up for this test date after doing a preliminary content review for 9 days and pressing through all of the EK content books (3 units/day, ugh...). I took AAMC 3 yesterday to see where I am and got a 39 (13, 13, 13)! But I'm worried because I heard that AAMC 3 is pretty dissimilar to the current MCAT. Im lacking an intro bio course (I've only taken comparative physiology and biochem), so for a more in-depth review I'm planning on starting the BR books today and leaving all of the end-of-chapter tests for later practice but doing the in- and end-of-chapter review questions as I go. Do you think that one chapter of BR a day is quite enough, or should I press for 2?

Hey guys! I literally just signed up for this test date after doing a preliminary content review for 9 days and pressing through all of the EK content books (3 units/day, ugh...). I took AAMC 3 yesterday to see where I am and got a 39 (13, 13, 13)! But I'm worried because I heard that AAMC 3 is pretty dissimilar to the current MCAT. Im lacking an intro bio course (I've only taken comparative physiology and biochem), so for a more in-depth review I'm planning on starting the BR books today and leaving all of the end-of-chapter tests for later practice but doing the in- and end-of-chapter review questions as I go. Do you think that one chapter of BR a day is quite enough, or should I press for 2?

BR chapters are pretty intense, it's not as light reading as EK in my opinion. I'd go for one and thoroughly go through the examples in the chapter.

Looks like I should be retaking with y'all this go around. Got a mediocre 27 (10/8/9) during my 4/27 exam. Sucks.

Good luck to everyone on studying. I'll be starting up again in a couple days. Dreading the thought of going through this process again, but hopeful for what lies ahead.

Looks like I should be retaking with y'all this go around. Got a mediocre 27 (10/8/9) during my 4/27 exam. Sucks.

Good luck to everyone on studying. I'll be starting up again in a couple days. Dreading the thought of going through this process again, but hopeful for what lies ahead.

Sorry to hear that, but happy to have you here. Best of luck.

I'm in this for sure as well. Scored a 24 (10PS/8VR/6BS) on round 1, so good luck to all the retakers in this thread.

While my BS is abysmal, I was very surprised and pleased by my PS. This was the perfect score to motivate me to do better next time, because if I had scored any lower I think I would be pretty discouraged.

I'm in this for sure as well. Scored a 24 (10PS/8VR/6BS) on round 1, so good luck to all the retakers in this thread.

While my BS is abysmal, I was very surprised and pleased by my PS. This was the perfect score to motivate me to do better next time, because if I had scored any lower I think I would be pretty discouraged.

Same I thought my PS went terribly (albeit it was my "best" section during my practice exams). I used TPR previously but have TBR books on its way so hopefully supplanting that will increase my score to an 11/12.

BS was such an enigma, however. I felt like that was my best section coming out of the exam and did pretty bad. And verbal I thought I bombed (like got a 6) and did alright. Post-test feelings never amount to anything.

I'm still applying with my 27 since I have a solid 3.9ish GPA and am a TX resident, but hopefully just 2-3 more points on my retake will open up many more doors. Good luck to you man! Let's make this an enjoyable experience for both of us.