The Official August 16, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome everyone! For those following the SN2ed or a similar 3-month study schedule, prep should begin in the next few weeks.

Hope to see some ambitious and optimistic people here with me, and shout out to the 3/23'ers from before I bailed on that test date.

Let's go!

Members don't see this ad.

Wanted to let everyone know I made my 30+ post! Link in sig (or just check out the thread).

I am sooo happy for you.. i saw your AMAZING post!! You rocked that biaattccchhhh! I copied your post and put it into my workbook and i am looking over it now and using that as a guide.. i will take a lot of pointers to retake mine in January.

Again i am sooo proud of you!! congratulations :D

I know Harvard Dental School is a research heavy school. Don't know if HSM is the same.

High School Musical isn't research heavy, as far as I'm concerned. But you'll have to check their website to be sure.

Ah I don't blame you then, I just thought it would be a good exercise, wasn't trying to rub it in or anything lol.

The problem is with his characterization of the release of epinephrine. He says ACTH stimulates epi release, but that is totally wrong. The adrenal medulla is stimulated directly via the sympathetic nervous system, which is why the fight or flight response is so fast when something scares you; your nervous system can almost instantaneously squeeze epi out of your adrenals and into your blood.

If it occurred like he said, ACTH would have to go via your blood all the way from your pituitary in the head down to the adrenals first, which would be really inefficient time-wise.

What ACTH actually does is stimulate the secretion of glucocorticoids, primarily cortisol, from the adrenal cortex.

Princeton Review hyperlearning says :"
upload_2014-4-14_19-50-41.png

Is this accurate?