The Official August 16, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome everyone! For those following the SN2ed or a similar 3-month study schedule, prep should begin in the next few weeks.

Hope to see some ambitious and optimistic people here with me, and shout out to the 3/23'ers from before I bailed on that test date.

Let's go!

Members don't see this ad.

Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 32: 11/10/11
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 30: 10/11/9
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): TBR and EK (Sn2ed Schedule)
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC AVG : 34

Last edited:
Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 11/12/12
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 10/10/10
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): AAMC and TPR
AAMC and Other FL Averages: I only used AAMC 8, 9, 10, 11 and my average was 31.5.
Comments/Feelings/Tips: I honestly was just hoping for anything over 30 and I flipped out when I saw my score. I'm just glad to be done with the MCAT. I was a retaker and I had a lot of doubt but this really proved to me that hard work pays off. Good job everyone!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was a Aug. 15er, but thought I would share my score with you guys.

Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): (10/9/11) = 30
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): (9/8/10) = 27
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): I'll answer this later
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC average: 28 (10/8/10), TPR avg (tests 1-4): 23
Comments/Feelings/Tips: Also later.

I feel so relieved right now! Congrats to guys that achieved their goals. Those that didn't, don't get too down. I got a 24 on my first attempt, so it is possible to beat this test.

Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 11/12/12
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 10/10/10
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): AAMC and TPR
AAMC and Other FL Averages: around 32 I think
Comments/Feelings/Tips: I will add to this soon.

good format, I'll do the same

Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 12/11/11
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 13/11/8
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): AAMC and TBR
AAMC and Other FL Averages: around 32-34 I think
Comments/Feelings/Tips: I felt pretty awful about biological sciences coming out of it, surprisingly good on verbal, and decent on physical sciences.

My physical sciences were usually 13-14, my verbal was usually 8-9 (started off at 10-11 got worse as practice tests go on which I attribute to burnout), and my bs was usually 10-12 (11 a lot though).

I was expecting a unbalanced score high in ps and low in bs, but I got great with ps and decent with bs, I'm so happy I did well on verbal and got an overall balanced score.

13PS,10VR,10BS. Total score of 33.

I should be happy with this score. I get it. Still I KNOW I can get a >35 score. My AAMC average was 36. I got caught off guard by an O-Chem passage, and it turns out that my post-test feeling that I bombed PS was correct. In my practice tests my BS was either 12 or 13, it never dipped to 11. But 10? :(:(

I wanted to apply to an elite school (Harvard, most likely), but getting this score back just shot that dream in the gut. I should be happy just to get into any med school but I've always had that dream in the back of my mind, ya know?

Damn.

EDIT: Took out some sad smileys (lolol) because I look like a whiney ass.

Last edited:
I told you not to worry about studying for a retake until you got your scores! :p congrats!!!

Thank you!! Haha I said I'd try to keep the information fresh but actually I think I already forgot pretty much everything. Okay now I just need to get in somewhere with my score.

Finally had the balls to look. 13/11/10 for a 34. I'll take it. This was exactly my average in AAMC 9-11. I though I was headed for the high 30's after a 39 on AAMC 8, but I guess I got lucky.

MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): I'll answer this later

I feel so relieved right now! Congrats to guys that achieved their goals. Those that didn't, don't get too down. I got a 24 on my first attempt, so it is possible to beat this test.

Congrats bro! Happy for you. Good luck w/ your application.

How bad is VR :- 7 for someone who is ESL? :-( :-( :'( (I'm not looking to get into top schools or anything crazy like that).

And I'm mostly looking for schools around PA.

Here are the other stats.
BS:11, PS: 12 Total: 30.
cGPS ~3.7 And sGPA ~ 3.9

How bad is VR :- 7 for someone who is ESL? :-( :-( :'( (I'm not looking to get into top schools or anything crazy like that).

And I'm mostly looking for schools around PA.

Here are the other stats.
BS:11, PS: 12 Total: 30.
cGPS ~3.7 And sGPA ~ 3.9

A couple MDs have told me that adcoms take it easy one ESL people when it comes to VR. They weren't specific as to how easy. I wish I had more details about that.

I myself am an ESL, but I dont think being ESL is a valid excuse for scoring low on VR. We are planning to work in America, so it is our responsibility to master the language and compete with native speakers.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it that no matter how much I study and practice, my PS score doesn't change? Not. One. Bit. :mad:
*sigh*

VR: 12
BS: 9
PS: 6

Seriously? Oh, well. I'm probably going to at least apply to WCUCOM this year...I'm currently there as an undergraduate and I'm native to the area. Maybe they'll misread that 6 as an 8 or something...

Congratulations to everyone who did well! And to those of you who didn't get what you wanted, keep your chin up! What is meant to be, will be.

I myself am an ESL, but I dont think being ESL is a valid excuse for scoring low on VR. We are planning to work in America, so it is our responsibility to master the language and compete with native speakers.

If you think VR has anything to do with mastery of the English language, you are mistaken :p

I can't believe it! I wrote a M.Sc thesis and took Organic Chem 1 while studying for the MCAT in the summer to end up with 14/11/10 (PS/VR/BS)!!! Can't complain, but I still want to voice my dismay at the number of Orgo Qs on the exam

Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): (10/10/9 :/ ) = 29
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): (11/10/11) = 32
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): Examkrackers, Kaplan (course)
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC average: 28. Kaplan Average: 30
Comments/Feelings/Tips: I really don't know how to feel about this. Although my score was pretty much smack dab in between my averages, I felt I HAD to get at least a 30 on this take. I felt really okay after finishing. I wanted so bad to break a 30 and I feel I really let myself down. One. Freaking. Point. Stupid O-chem heavy BS section.

But when comparing it to my take last year (7/8/10, 25S) I can't help but feel successful in that I improved. Working my butt off to improve PS and VR paid off, so hopefully adcoms will see that.

I have to cross a few schools off now, including my reach (sorry, Northwestern). Time to search for more lenient ones, although I've never had to add schools after AMCAS had been verified.

If you think VR has anything to do with mastery of the English language, you are mistaken :p

Yea it also tests logical reasoning and application but without proper mastery of english language, one cant understand sht and cant answer the problems even with required logical skills.

4/24 Actual MCAT (PS/V/BS): (7/9/8) = 24

8/16 Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): (9/12/9) = 30

Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): (8/11/11) = 30

MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): This is a retake so I threw out the old play book and started from scratch. First time around I used SN2ed and did not care for it. To be honest, I hated it and found it completely ineffective for my studying habits. Why I continued with it after a few weeks I can only blame on the fact that so many have had success with it.

This time around I did nothing but practice tests - 3 full lengths a week from various test companies. I couldn't use the AAMC FL because I had already done all but one of them in the first go around. I used TBR, TPR, and Kaplan. My complete strategy is up in this thread but basically I used Spinach Dips method - taking a test one day and then scoring and reviewing weak points the next day. For my review materials I used nothing but Chad's_Videos. Best secret weapon ever and I believe they are solely responsible for increasing my PS score.

So, if you are someone who has tried SN2ed and it didn't work for you either, try learning from your mistakes. Do lots of practice problems and review only what you miss. Don't waste time on stuff you know. The more exposure you have to various types of questions, the more likely you are to discover what you really need to improve on!

In regards to my verbal score...I never practiced verbal besides what was on practice tests (cool story bro?). I found it absolutely frivolous unless it was AAMC material. I am an anthropology major and reading comprehension is just part of the job. I read the Wall Street Journal everyday and have since I was 16 and also read a lot of academic work. My suggestion to tackling verbal is pretty simple - read more.

AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC average: 29ish my first time around with AAMC FL's. This time around I was averaging around 33-34 with my practice materials. I scored a 35 on the one AAMC FL that I hadn't done yet. So, needless to say, I felt pretty dang good pre-test. But once again, I was faced with material that I had never seen and scored 4 points below my practice average. It's just the nature of the test. You can't review every possible scenario you could be faced with and I'm not the best standardized test taker. I just kept plugging away and kept my eye on the prize, knowing that I could not have prepared any better than I had or given it anymore than I did.

Comments/Feelings/Tips: Don't listen to the anomalies. If you are reading this and struggling with a bad first score or just starting off your studies for this beast, do not compare yourself to how hard or easy it appears for others (especially the loud mouths on SDN). You're journey is unique and you need to find your own stride and what works for you. You need to only focus on how YOU will defeat the MCAT. I know there are guys on here that study for 3 hours a day, BS on SDN for the rest of it, and fart out a 35 like it's nothing. Those people are not the norm, they are freaks and few and far between. The majority of people are busting their arse just as much as you and want to put their head through the wall just like you do (from what I hear, this is no different in med school when dealing with gunners). So, put your head down (not through a wall) and worry about yourself and your own success. Harping on how easy it is for someone else isn't go to get you to your white coat ceremony.

Final thoughts: Never give up. If this is your dream, you die trying - blood, sweat, and tears baby - the recipe of champions. Failing cannot be an option for you!

Congrats to you man! We have been in this together the whole way. Seeing you hit a 30 makes me way happier than anyone hitting 40's.

Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 14/10/11
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 13/9/9
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): Kaplan & AAMC
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC: 35, Kaplan: 37
Comments/Feelings/Tips: English is my second language and on my last MCAT I got 12/7/12 (PS/VR/BS). Unfortunately, most schools do not accept scores below an 8 so my verbal score forced me to retake. I think I was able to improve on verbal through speed reading tips. What worked best for me was to use the cursor on the screen as a guide when reading. Good luck to all of you who are studying & applying.

Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 12/8/12
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 12/<7/11
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): Berkeley/AAMC FL
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC: 32
Comments/Feelings/Tips: English is my second language, on test day, i knew i bombed the verbal, guesses on alot i felt

Actual MCAT Last Summer 7/8/7=23
This August PS/VR/BS 8/9/8=26

Small improvement. The last two semesters I took 21 hours each while working up to three part time jobs (student grader, ophthalmic tech, AF Reservist) and also applying to grad school and taking the GRE. I'm non trad and slightly crazy, I suppose.

I'm hoping I'll get a truly holistic review. I only applied in Texas as a TX resident and otherwise, I feel my app is well rounded. I would be thrilled to attend any campus here, even the DO school. Let's hope I get some love!!

Great job, everyone! If you didn't score what you were hoping, I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes to make ya feel better....

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.”
&#8213; Joe Rogan

Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 9/14/10
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 9/12/10
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): AAMC, Kaplan
AAMC and Other FL Averages: All AAMC, 31
Comments/Feelings/Tips: This is the most absurd acceptable MCAT score that I have ever seen.

Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 12/11/11
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 11/10/10
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): AAMC, Kaplan, TBR
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC 8-11, 31
Comments/Feelings/Tips: Simply stoked. Congratulations to everyone who hit their mark.

How much does the economic law of decreasing marginal utility carry over into MCAT scores? I feel like schools view scores as groups like 30-31, 32-35, and 36+

All scores 36+ are definitely not the same. I'd argue 40+ is in its own league. 36 is definitely not auto-invite level anywhere, whereas 40+ just may be at very number snobby schools (Chicago & WashU as the most notorious examples).

Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 39 (14/13/12)
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 31 (12/10/9)
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs):Started with the SDN 3 month DIY study schedule condensed to 1.5 months but lost my drive (was burnt out from taking 20 hours in the spring semester and Organic 1 over the 1st summer term). I signed up for Kaplan Advanced Anywhere course online, which ended after the 16th, so I didn't get to complete it but was able to attend most of the sessions. I took all 8 AAMC FL's, twice per week leading up to the test (Mondays and Fridays at 1pm to simulate the real thing), and 3 FL's during the week prior.
AAMC and Other FL Averages: 31.7
Comments/Feelings/Tips: Considering my prediction of 29-31 and that I haven't taken Organic 2 or Physics 2 yet I am pumped! I still can't decide if my huge jump in score from my AAMC FL's (highest was a 35) is due to hard work or luck, but I'm happy with either right now.
My biggest tip is to master MCAT material while taking your prereqs, makes prep much easier.

MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs):Started with the SDN 3 month DIY study schedule condensed to 1.5 months but lost my drive (was burnt out from taking 20 hours in the spring semester and Organic 1 over the 1st summer term). I signed up for Kaplan Advanced Anywhere course online, which ended after the 16th, so I didn't get to complete it but was able to attend most of the sessions. I took all 8 AAMC FL's, twice per week leading up to the test (Mondays and Fridays at 1pm to simulate the real thing), and 3 FL's during the week prior.
Comments/Feelings/Tips: Considering my prediction of 29-31 and that I haven't taken Organic 2 or Physics 2 yet I am pumped! I still can't decide if my huge jump in score from my AAMC FL's (highest was a 35) is due to hard work or luck, but I'm happy with either right now.
My biggest tip is to master MCAT material while taking your prereqs, makes prep much easier.

Congrats! And I definitely agree with the bolded.

Congrats to others on their great scores! For those with not-so-great scores, don't stress out. Forget about the MCAT for some time and plan on retaking if you need to.

After reading some other posts from different MCAT test day threads, I think I'd like to give my predictions (a) directly after the test, (b) two days after the test, and (c) for highest and lowest possible scores. Once I get my actual score, I will quote-reply to this post so that it's readily available for future users. Hopefully, this will be useful to people who write in the future.

(a) Prediction directly after the test: 32 (12 PS/11 VR/9 BS)
(b) Prediction two days after the test: 35 (13 PS/12 VR/10 BS)
(c) Prediction of highest possible score: 38 (14 PS/13 VR/11 BS)
Prediction of lowest possible score: 31 (12 PS/10 VR/9 BS)

I took AAMC 9 and AAMC 10 within a week of my test date, after I had done all my studying.
AAMC 9: 36 (14 PS/11 VR/11 BS)
AAMC 10: 38 (12 PS/13 VR/13 BS)

I hope everyone is having an easier time forgetting about the test and ignoring the month-long wait!

Actual MCAT: 12 PS/10 VR/11 BS
Quite disappointed, but I shouldn't complain. Still aiming for Harvard and Stanford, hoping my 3.9 GPA and Ph.D. help me out a bit...

Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 35: 12 12 11
Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): 33: 12 10 11
MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): TBR and EK (Sn2ed Schedule)
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC AVG : 34
Comments/Feelings/Tips: Pretty pumped with my score. A little bummed because I was averaging 12.2 for my AAMC BIOs and thought I would finish with a 12+. It makes sense. I thought a lot of the Biology was completely out of left field. Just a lot of weird ****. Somehow, verbal came to my aid with a 12 (my highest was an 11).

Previous MCAT Score: 32
8/16 RETAKE: 12 PS / 10 VR / 12 BS = 34
AAMC Average: 35.6

The verbal's disappointing, considering I scored 11+ on all practice tests and on my first MCAT. I was expecting a 35 or 36 coming out of the test but -shrug- I'm never taking this thing again. I'm done!! :D

Actual MCAT: 28 (9/10/9)
Predicted MCAT: 26-27
Average AAMC 9-11: 29

Not sure what to do now, guess this will be a decent score for DO schools. Was really hoping for that 29-30.

12/11/11 for me.

Not anywhere near my best score but good enough for everywhere I'm applying. Honestly, I expected 14/9/7 since I completely guessed a full passage in BS and just about had a meltdown on VR.

I told myself as long as I had no scores 10 or below, I'd be fine since I think you need an 10/11/10 to meet cutoffs for all of Ontario.

I'm disappointed with my PS score but ecstatic with VR and BS. VR is the only thing that matters for me this application cycle so knowing that I still have a chance is all I could have asked for with this score.

Congratulations, HotHamH2O. Thanks for the post! I'm a non-trad and find your words inspiring. I was shooting for this date, but got bogged down in the content review... I had to get my content review since I'd forgotten everything. It's not very efficient, or maybe I'm too slow, but as you put it, everyone's journey is unique. Thanks for the reminder.

I wish other posters also pass on their thoughts/study methods for others like me before they forget all about it.

Congratulations and good luck to all of you!

4/24 Actual MCAT (PS/V/BS): (7/9/8) = 24

8/16 Actual MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): (9/12/9) = 30

Predicted MCAT Score (PS/V/BS): (8/11/11) = 30

MCAT Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs): This is a retake so I threw out the old play book and started from scratch. First time around I used SN2ed and did not care for it. To be honest, I hated it and found it completely ineffective for my studying habits. Why I continued with it after a few weeks I can only blame on the fact that so many have had success with it.

This time around I did nothing but practice tests - 3 full lengths a week from various test companies. I couldn't use the AAMC FL because I had already done all but one of them in the first go around. I used TBR, TPR, and Kaplan. My complete strategy is up in this thread but basically I used Spinach Dips method - taking a test one day and then scoring and reviewing weak points the next day. For my review materials I used nothing but Chad's_Videos. Best secret weapon ever and I believe they are solely responsible for increasing my PS score.

So, if you are someone who has tried SN2ed and it didn't work for you either, try learning from your mistakes. Do lots of practice problems and review only what you miss. Don't waste time on stuff you know. The more exposure you have to various types of questions, the more likely you are to discover what you really need to improve on!

In regards to my verbal score...I never practiced verbal besides what was on practice tests (cool story bro?). I found it absolutely frivolous unless it was AAMC material. I am an anthropology major and reading comprehension is just part of the job. I read the Wall Street Journal everyday and have since I was 16 and also read a lot of academic work. My suggestion to tackling verbal is pretty simple - read more.

AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC average: 29ish my first time around with AAMC FL's. This time around I was averaging around 33-34 with my practice materials. I scored a 35 on the one AAMC FL that I hadn't done yet. So, needless to say, I felt pretty dang good pre-test. But once again, I was faced with material that I had never seen and scored 4 points below my practice average. It's just the nature of the test. You can't review every possible scenario you could be faced with and I'm not the best standardized test taker. I just kept plugging away and kept my eye on the prize, knowing that I could not have prepared any better than I had or given it anymore than I did.

Comments/Feelings/Tips: Don't listen to the anomalies. If you are reading this and struggling with a bad first score or just starting off your studies for this beast, do not compare yourself to how hard or easy it appears for others (especially the loud mouths on SDN). You're journey is unique and you need to find your own stride and what works for you. You need to only focus on how YOU will defeat the MCAT. I know there are guys on here that study for 3 hours a day, BS on SDN for the rest of it, and fart out a 35 like it's nothing. Those people are not the norm, they are freaks and few and far between. The majority of people are busting their arse just as much as you and want to put their head through the wall just like you do (from what I hear, this is no different in med school when dealing with gunners). So, put your head down (not through a wall) and worry about yourself and your own success. Harping on how easy it is for someone else isn't go to get you to your white coat ceremony.

Final thoughts: Never give up. If this is your dream, you die trying - blood, sweat, and tears baby - the recipe of champions. Failing cannot be an option for you!

Last edited:
Kaplans and AAMCs (in order)
Kaplan 1: 33, Kaplan 2: 34, Kaplan 3: 37, AAMC 5: 29, Kaplan 4: 34, AAMC 7: 32, Kaplan 5: 35, AAMC 8: 35, AAMC 9: 35, AAMC 10: 34, AAMC 11: 35. Overall, ~10-11 V/11-13 PS/11-13 BS.

Prediction: Didn't really have one since I knew it would likely be inaccurate but overall felt PS threw a lot of curve balls and BS had some hard orgo so didn't end up feeling great about the sciences.
Actual: 33 (11,11,11)
Thoughts/Feelings: Feel like I have the potential to do better in PS and BS as towards the end of my practice I was consistently hitting 12+ but this test got the best of me. Slightly disappointed with that but can't complain.

Congratulations, HotHamH2O. Thanks for the post! I'm a much older non-trad and find your words inspiring. I was shooting for this date, but got bogged down in the content review... I had to get my content review since I'd forgotten everything. It's not very efficient, or maybe I'm too slow, but as you put it, everyone's journey is unique. Thanks for the reminder.

I wish other posters also pass on their thoughts/study methods for others like me before they forget all about it.

Congratulations and good luck to all of you!

I'm glad that I could help and I wish you the best of luck in the pursuit of your dreams!

12/10/13 -- 35

Ecstatic that I got double digits in verbal!!! Truthfully, I wanted 1 more on PS and BS, but I'm content with my score :D

Actual MCAT: 12 PS/10 VR/11 BS
Quite disappointed, but I shouldn't complain. Still aiming for Harvard and Stanford, hoping my 3.9 GPA and Ph.D. help me out a bit...

Lotsa luck needed there, bro. :luck: I'd just keep reality in mind, though.

nice job!

Freakin' wow!

I was waiting for you to release your score haha your AAMC averages were ridiculous.

Congrats man, you definitely earned it!

NICE verbal !

congrats!

hot.damn.
Thanks everybody! I'll be writing up a 30+ study strategy post, and I have a substantial amount of feedback already written out covering prep materials. I'll post all that soon. Glad I could make everyone proud.
12/10/13 -- 35

Ecstatic that I got double digits in verbal!!! Truthfully, I wanted 1 more on PS and BS, but I'm content with my score :D

Finally had the balls to look. 13/11/10 for a 34. I'll take it. This was exactly my average in AAMC 9-11. I though I was headed for the high 30's after a 39 on AAMC 8, but I guess I got lucky.

Congrats to both of you, platonic and sakabato! Best of luck to both of you with your inevitable success. :)

Congrats on the 39! What were the individual averages of your AAMC FL's vs Kaplan FL's? I'm wondering because a 39 from a ~32 average means you're either the luckiest person in the world, or your Kaplan FL's were dragging your average down haha.

Either way, nice. :)