The Official August 16, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome everyone! For those following the SN2ed or a similar 3-month study schedule, prep should begin in the next few weeks.

Hope to see some ambitious and optimistic people here with me, and shout out to the 3/23'ers from before I bailed on that test date.

Let's go!

Members don't see this ad.

hey, does anybody have recommendations as to which TPR practice exams to take? im going to do all the aamc tests but i would like to do more. i have access to all 19 TPR exams and would like to do a couple, and wanted those couple to be the ones "most representative" of an actual AAMC MCAT.

thanks!

hey, does anybody have recommendations as to which TPR practice exams to take? im going to do all the aamc tests but i would like to do more. i have access to all 19 TPR exams and would like to do a couple, and wanted those couple to be the ones "most representative" of an actual AAMC MCAT.

thanks!

There are not 19 TPR exams. 8 of those are AAMC, and 1 is the free demo anyone can get. 3 come from the Cracking book series, and another 2 from the Review series. There are only 5 proprietary exams no one else can get their hands on. :cool:

Obligatory complaint about how dense bio chapters are. They just don't flow as well as the other subjects. I mean there's still lots to understand and piece together but the majority of it is flat out memorizing.

Agreed. Going through EK physiology makes me want to puke. Every other sentence has a fact in it you must rotely memorize. I planned on skipping the physiology stuff since I just took organismal bio, but skimming through I realized that I've forgotten quite a bit. I'm almost done reviewing now, after ch. 7 and 8 I'm done. Then I'll spend 2-3 days going through EK orgo, and I'm done with content review.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about you guys but I'm REALLY enjoying all the detail in TBR/TPR (using both) biology books. As an engineering major only having taken biology 1 and 2, I'm learning around half of this material for the first time and it is fascinating!!

I said majority. Not all, since there's still a good amount of critical thinking involved what with the methodology of experiments, interpretation of results, and etc. But mostly memorization.

If it's taking forever, it probably means you have faulty knowledge. Womp.

I don't know if it's faulty knowledge or I just get really really bored by it. It's much harder for me to sit down and memorize instead of trying to figure out a concept.

Then again, I do suck at bio :p

Even EK, it takes twice as long as anything else, even orgo which I suck at.

I try to avoid saying bio is flat out memorization because I always get yelled at by all the life science kids. :laugh:
I just starting taking bio/orgo my senior year. As a physics major, I must admit that the watching the yungins "learning" by thumbing through huge decks of flash cards amused me quite a bit. :laugh: And I stubbornly refused to follow suit. But I must admit, I'm thinking about using them for the MCAT and in medical school.

I don't know about you guys but I'm REALLY enjoying all the detail in TBR/TPR (using both) biology books. As an engineering major only having taken biology 1 and 2, I'm learning around half of this material for the first time and it is fascinating!!

I read TPR for several of the bio chapters. It's a fantastic book. I particularly like the genetics chapter. If I had more time, I'd probably use TPR for all of the bio section. Unfortunately I decided to do research this summer, and it's taking more of my time than expected. I reviewed PS sell, but I'm rushing through BS. I may have to delay the test until early 2014 if my practice scores aren't where I want them to be.

about 75% sure I'm going to be postponing to Sept. 12 or January 2014 as my job is taking over too much time and I'm certain that after being able to devote more time to everything my score will increase dramatically. I'll still be lurking the post as you all give very good insight into taking the exam. Good luck everyone! I'm going to be pulling for you all !!

I just starting taking bio/orgo my senior year. As a physics major, I must admit that the watching the yungins "learning" by thumbing through huge decks of flash cards amused me quite a bit. :laugh: And I stubbornly refused to follow suit. But I must admit, I'm thinking about using them for the MCAT and in medical school.
Yeah, I've never been a fan of index cards...just write it down! I've heard to make your own summarized notes for Bio, though (I guess rather than index cards).

Physics majors unite! :thumbup:

There are not 19 TPR exams. 8 of those are AAMC, and 1 is the free demo anyone can get. 3 come from the Cracking book series, and another 2 from the Review series. There are only 5 proprietary exams no one else can get their hands on. :cool:

oops my mistake. but yeah, out of the 11 TPR exams, which ones should we focus on? (lets say i want to take 3 of these)

oops my mistake. but yeah, out of the 11 TPR exams, which ones should we focus on? (lets say i want to take 3 of these)

Word on the street says TPR 1-5 are the best. There's a reason they're the proprietary ones ;) No proof, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Word on the street says TPR 1-5 are the best. There's a reason they're the proprietary ones ;) No proof, though.

they are pretty tough...I'm definitely scoring 2 points lower in each section than on AAMC

they are pretty tough...I'm definitely scoring 2 points lower in each section than on AAMC

Indeed. I'm getting a lower as well, but probably because I need more FL practice. The VR is nowhere near as good as the TPRH VW, which is interesting lol.

Indeed. I'm getting a lower as well, but probably because I need more FL practice. The VR is nowhere near as good as the TPRH VW, which is interesting lol.

The verbal on TPR 1 was boring as hell. I scored a 9 but it was the hardest 9 ever lol

I am a retaker and I think I am finally starting to get down to the areas that are really giving me trouble in all my sections. PS was my weakest section with a score of 7 when I took in April. It seems that solutions and thermochemistry (mainly heat of fusion and phase changes) are my weak areas. In physics it's electricity and optics (like a lot of people). In the BS section I scored an 8 in April. Genetics and endocrinology are my weakest areas here. As far as orgo goes, I really need to just memorize more reactions...that's it. Verbal I scored a 9 in April. For VR, the questions I seem to always get wrong are the list ones, where they give you a list and ask you to pick which ones are either true or false (I. II. III.). That section can't be improved much besides reading and practicing more. For everything else (PS and BS), sticking with my plan of tests tests tests and more tests, identifying weaknesses on the post game analysis, crushing the weaknesses with review in chad's videos for PS and Orgo and TPR for biology, and then practice passages on those weaknesses from TPR/TBR. Currently, I am only able to complete one Kaplan R test a week and one TPR test a week due to all the review I am still having to do on weaknesses. I am hoping as I flush out more and more of these weaknesses I will be able to up my weekly tests to three. At that point I plan on purchasing TBR cbt's. :boom:

The most frustrating thing about all of this is that I never scored less than a 10 on BS or VR on my practice AAMC's (two of the last three I scored an 11 of VR). PS on the other hand...I consistently scored 8 and 9 on, only scoring a 10 on two of the last three.

How's everyone else doing with their studies?

I'm taking a Princeton course. I'm like you and needed some structure and schedule. Also, I really like the online material they give you, which I know Kaplan has as well.
I know, right? This amount of additional material is amazing and provides awesome practice. I think it is going to be well worth the investment. I feel so much more confident now then when I was self-studying a couple months ago.

At that point I plan on purchasing TBR cbt's. :boom:

How's everyone else doing with their studies?

HotHam bro, I'd suggest you send in your TBR order form ASAP. They can be very slow with processing, and you don't want that to delay you.

TBR FLs are kicking my butt, as I'm scoring low 30s and that is no bueno para mí. :( The VR is ridiculous. I can't put a finger on why it's so bad other than the fact that the passages are WAY TOO LONG, but I'm killing TPRH VW (avg 2-3 wrong per 21 questions), so there's no reason for the ~10 wrong on these FLs. Hopefully this is just their tactic to get you to pay for tutoring packages and such. We'll see with AAMC 4 this weekend I guess.

TBR FL access to be activated next Monday, July 1. Looking forward to those :D

finally done with content review. I'll start the self assessment package tomorrow, then do AAMC 4 to see where I stand. I definitely rushed through BS content review, but I'm tired of reading through endless lists of facts.

Perfect example of why I can't stand TBR sometimes. In the chapter on amines, amino acids, and proteins, there are two passages focused around sangers reagent. A quick review of the AAMC MCAT outline shows nothing about sangers reagent yet they spend two passages on it? Waste of time!

is anyone else using princeton review verbal workbook? I'm finding that "select" passages are just ridiculously hard to comprehend. Theres always 2 passages that are much more convoluted compared to others in every practice exam and I miss about 85% of questions from those 2 passages. I'm open to any tips anyone has.

is anyone else using princeton review verbal workbook? I'm finding that "select" passages are just ridiculously hard to comprehend. Theres always 2 passages that are much more convoluted compared to others in every practice exam and I miss about 85% of questions from those 2 passages. I'm open to any tips anyone has.

are you talking about the hyperlearning one?

To be honest, and I know it always sounds douchey to say this, but I think TPRH verbal is too easy. I consistently scored 90% on it and got a 9 on the real thing. EK, Kaplan, and TPR-CBT are closer to the real thing IMHO. There are plenty who would disagree with me though.

Last edited:
To be honest, and I know it always sounds douchey to say this, but I think TPRH verbal is too easy. I consistently scored 90% on it and got a 9 on the real thing. EK, Kaplan, and TPR-CBT are closer to the real thing IMHO. There are plenty who would disagree with me though.

I'm not sure if I agree with you on this. I find kaplan's verbal very straight forward, and EK passages are much easier to comprehend compared to the others, they just have more difficult questions.

I'm not sure if I agree with you on this. I find kaplan's verbal very straight forward, and EK passages are much easier to comprehend compared to the others, they just have more difficult questions.

Like I said, many will disagree with me. TPRH passages don't bore me like Kaplan and EK do. There are a lot of interesting topics covered by TPRH and so I actually enjoy reading them so I find them easier.

Is the VR on the TPR CBTs really more representative of the actual MCAT? They seem unnecessarily long and nit-picky at times.

How did your AAMC VR average compare to the 9 you got?

Is the VR on the TPR CBTs really more representative of the actual MCAT? They seem unnecessarily long and nit-picky at times.

How did your AAMC VR average compare to the 9 you got?

Well, I have scored 2 9's on the TPR-CBT's which is what I got on the actual. I do agree that they are longer. As far as nit-picky, I do not know. I never read another companies explanations to verbal because it doesn't matter what they think. AAMC subjective opinion is the only one that matters (spinachdip goes over this in his post).

I never scored less than a 10 on my AAMC verbal's. I averaged an 11 I think.It was just not my day unfortunately.

Well, I have scored 2 9's on the TPR-CBT's which is what I got on the actual. I do agree that they are longer. As far as nit-picky, I do not know. I never read another companies explanations to verbal because it doesn't matter what they think. AAMC subjective opinion is the only one that matters (spinachdip goes over this in his post).

I never scored less than a 10 on my AAMC verbal's. I averaged an 11 I think.It was just not my day unfortunately.

I'm actually using a modified Spinach method for my studying. Though I understand the logic behind not reading anyone else's explanations, I have still found that reading them helps at least a little, and we all know that VR is scored off of such little, putrid things. If I don't agree with their answer, I won't internalize it. But I stick strongly to the idea that every prep company has something to offer, and that ultimately it'll help me know what the AAMC is looking for.

They're not completely right, but they ain't completely wrong, either.

I'm actually using a modified Spinach method for my studying. Though I understand the logic behind not reading anyone else's explanations, I have still found that reading them helps at least a little, and we all know that VR is scored off of such little, putrid things. If I don't agree with their answer, I won't internalize it. But I stick strongly to the idea that every prep company has something to offer, and that ultimately it'll help me know what the AAMC is looking for.

They're not completely right, but they ain't completely wrong, either.

I agree. They're really useful if I was way off or just completely missed something. Even beyond that they can be pretty useful. Sometimes they have explanations that are a little out there, and those are the ones I tend to bypass.

Just finished my first self assessment test, 89% on orgo. I'll take it, considering my content review of orgo consisted of flipping through EK orgo for 3 hours(the book is pretty awful, btw). Didn't do any problems. Hopefully I get similar scores on the two PS tests. I'd be happy with anything above 80% on the biology test.

Did you take orgo recently? I've got the EK orgo book, I'm probably only going to use it as a refresher on spectroscopy lol.. Earning a 4.0 last year in orgo definitely prepared me well for that section of the MCAT.
Yep. Just finished orgo 2 in the spring. I'm glad I didn't burn 25% of my prep time studying for orgo. It will probably end up being one of me stronger sections.

Just finished my first self assessment test, 89% on orgo. I'll take it, considering my content review of orgo consisted of flipping through EK orgo for 3 hours(the book is pretty awful, btw). Didn't do any problems. Hopefully I get similar scores on the two PS tests. I'd be happy with anything above 80% on the biology test.

Orgo is pretty straightforward on there, imho. Good job!

Hey guys,

I'm going to push my test back, and am deciding between August 9th and August 16th. I want to apply this cycle. Submitted the primary, but not complete because of MCAT score. Does the week difference, make a major difference because for studying purposes, a week is major for me at least.

Also how do I check what schools are rolling/non-rolling?

Would really appreciate the help, thanks.

Also why is this such a popular date? This thread is huge compared to the other dates haha

Hey guys,

I'm going to push my test back, and am deciding between August 9th and August 16th. I want to apply this cycle. Submitted the primary, but not complete because of MCAT score. Does the week difference, make a major difference because for studying purposes, a week is major for me at least.

Also how do I check what schools are rolling/non-rolling?

You're pretty late either way, as your app would only be considered finished after Labor Day, which is late late late, according to LizzyM, no less. If a week makes a difference, by all means. Keep in mind that the 9th has the afternoon date if you're not a morning person.

The MSAR is your best friend.

Also, I think more than one person here may not actually belong here. I'm taking on 8/9, but the other threads were boring and people here are cool so hey why not.

Also, I think more than one person here may not actually belong here. I'm taking on 8/9, but the other threads were boring and people here are cool so hey why not.
Yeah, I was told there is an Aug 15 thread, but this one is more alive, so I came as well.

Should a month (or 3 weeks? :scared:) be enough for FLs?

Well boys, I just scored my highest on a practice exam so far.. 34, 12 physical, 11 verbal, 11 biological. Highest up to now was a 30, including a 29 two weeks ago. Wish me luck in the next 6 weeks of studying.. it looks like I'm doing something right!

Out of curiosity, which FL was this? Regardless, not bad!

87% on bio self assessment:love:I'm home free on content review. Physics and Gen chem self assessments now, followed by a week or two doing more passages from the test prep companies. Then onto FL's. Sidenote:haven't done any verbal work, other than reading the EK techniques book at the beginning of prep.

Being a late applicant is only a problem if you application isn't strong. I already put my applications in but I'm retaking to improve a score of 24. I'll get some DO responses in the meantime but with my 3.97 GPA I'm hoping that a new score of 30 will still land me some in-state acceptances in an allopathic school despite the new score not being available until September. Crossing my fingers and praying diligently.

87% on bio self assessment:love:I'm home free on content review. Physics and Gen chem self assessments now, followed by a week or two doing more passages from the test prep companies. Then onto FL's. Sidenote:haven't done any verbal work, other than reading the EK techniques book at the beginning of prep.

Very nice! I'm still working on content review. Pretty far behind. :scared:

Being a late applicant is only a problem if you application isn't strong. I already put my applications in but I'm retaking to improve a score of 24. I'll get some DO responses in the meantime but with my 3.97 GPA I'm hoping that a new score of 30 will still land me some in-state acceptances in an allopathic school despite the new score not being available until September. Crossing my fingers and praying diligently.

So what do you recommend, an August 9th or August 16th exam. It's a week difference, but I think a week is huge in terms of review.

So what do you recommend, an August 9th or August 16th exam. It's a week difference, but I think a week is huge in terms of review.

At the end? Not so much. We're not talking about super high-yield studying methods at the end; you don't want to overexhaust yourself. You'll probably get 2-3 FLs done in that last week mixed with some post-game of the errors. Then there's practical issues of enjoying your summer before college kicks off again (assuming you're still in school).

I don't think it'll make much of a difference. If you're scrambling to get major things done in the last week, then you've already lost the game, imho...

At the end? Not so much. We're not talking about super high-yield studying methods at the end; you don't want to overexhaust yourself. You'll probably get 2-3 FLs done in that last week mixed with some post-game of the errors. Then there's practical issues of enjoying your summer before college kicks off again (assuming you're still in school).

I don't think it'll make much of a difference. If you're scrambling to get major things done in the last week, then you've already lost the game, imho...

I agree. Thanks.

When I school says, that they look at applications from September on wards (one of the schools I'm interested in says this on their website), do they look at it based on who submitted first or does the committee just tackle what they have at that current moment.

I agree. Thanks.

When I school says, that they look at applications from September on wards (one of the schools I'm interested in says this on their website), do they look at it based on who submitted first or does the committee just tackle what they have at that current moment.

I'm not quite sure what your question means. According to LizzyM, AMCAS dumps data to their servers in several bulks throughout the cycle, adcoms review it based on the order in which it was sent in, and give interview invites as they go along. If a school still considers from September onwards (which they should), that doesn't mean they haven't been giving IIs all along the way. There would most likely be fewer II spots left by September. Which is why it's said that if you submit an app that late but still get an II, you must've really stood out for them to give one of the last spots to you.