The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else terrified for CARS? it could go so many ways for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Literally this, although a balanced score will help with the 1 school I am aiming for, having a 127 in CARS will open up doors at 2 other schools..and a 128 in the other...for me a 128/128/128/128 means way more than a 132/126/132/132 :'(

Anyone else tired of studying the exact same topics every day for the past 3 months or so? Doing content review and going over FLs is almost excruciatingly boring now!

Reactions: 5 users
@blahblahpremeds I'm like at the point where all i want to do is take the exam and go on a long vacation and never have to think about this ever again... who's with me?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am an engineering major who should be great at C/P and yet my CARs score is consistently my highest. Hoping it is 130+ as well.

What's this about a harder curve????????
Well, the curve depends on all the scores. If the average scores are low, then many people's scores would go up. But since many of us late test takers have been studying for some time, chances are that our average scores are higher, so the curve doesn't work much in our favor. But then there are always rumors and speculations in SDN that are not true in the real world.

That moment where you start off C/P being your best and 4 days out from your exam you realized you've bumped up everything else but have failed to pay much attention to that section lol.
I cannot wait to be done with this and do nothing for 2 days. How do the August 5/6 test takers feel? Anyone do EK FL 1-3?

That moment where you start off C/P being your best and 4 days out from your exam you realized you've bumped up everything else but have failed to pay much attention to that section lol.
I cannot wait to be done with this and do nothing for 2 days. How do the August 5/6 test takers feel? Anyone do EK FL 1-3?
Feel the exact same way...just want the exam to be over! Writing Aug 6. I took EK 1-4.

Hey, I just took the AAMC sample test. Can someone convert these scores... @Dreamstoo ?
Chem/Phys- 53%:wtf:
CARS- 85%
Bio/Biochem- 63%
Psych/Soch- 78%

Thanks!
And ugh I know:arghh:, I have less than a week right now so I'm seriously looking for a miracle in that area. I'm trying to bring up B/B and P/S like a point or two so it can sort of make up for whatever I have going on in the C/P.

123 C/P
130 CARS
125 B/B
127 P/S

total: 505. Just bring up that C/P. you're good

o wow, I'm an idiot. I think I've been doing the whole mcatjelly score conversion wrong. So pretty much she's equating an 11 to a 129 and a 12 to a 130?
So, if I re-did my score: 86%,64%,83%,85%--> would that technically be a 130,125,129-130,130?=514-515ish?

o wow, I'm an idiot. I think I've been doing the whole mcatjelly score conversion wrong. So pretty much she's equating an 11 to a 129 and a 12 to a 130?
So, if I re-did my score: 86%,64%,83%,85%--> would that technically be a 130,125,129-130,130?=514-515ish?

Yeah. I personally disagree with her Bio scale. It's way too rough. To me, an 8 is equivalent to a 125 not a 124.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I personally disagree with her Bio scale. It's way too rough. To me, an 8 is equivalent to a 125 not a 124.

How are you doing these conversions? I never got/saw the mcatjelly conversion sheet?

And also, do we have any indication that these conversions are still accurate ?

Hmm I cant seem to open up any of the files :(

Could you convert mine?

C/P - 39/59 (66%)
CARS - 35/53 (66%)
B/B - 47/59 (80%)
P/S - 39/59 (66%)

Taking mine August 6th...

Feel the exact same way...just want the exam to be over! Writing Aug 6. I took EK 1-4.

Does the P/C section seem really difficult for you as well? On the AAMC material I was performing the best on it (80%) but EK's is for some reason causing me more trouble than the other sections.

Sounds about right considering my percentages were 71/87/81/78 and ended up being around 510-512. According to TBR's book scale my score was around a 517 on the AAMC FL lmao...

Lol based on TBR, I got a 504 on AAMC FL and 510 on AAMC OG. Lol I'm hoping that their scale is accurate.

haha well according to the wise words of Ellie Goulding..."anything could happen!"

MCAT pump-up jams 2015:

but in all seriousness, I think I've given up studying...Probably just gonna chill for the next couple days. Cannot wait to get this exam out of the way, and hopefully set all my MCAT books aflame.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Well, the curve depends on all the scores. If the average scores are low, then many people's scores would go up. But since many of us late test takers have been studying for some time, chances are that our average scores are higher, so the curve doesn't work much in our favor. But then there are always rumors and speculations in SDN that are not true in the real world.

How is the MCAT Scored?

Disclaimer: this was how it was done for the old MCAT...not sure if its still the same for new.

The MCAT is a standardized test in a number of ways. The test you take on test day itself is standardized, but in a different way than other tests. Some tests will take everyone's scores and then based on how well each person did, give you a percentile of where you fit in compared to everyone else. This would be extremely unfair wouldn't it? All those 200+IQ people take their test on your day and you get screwed. This isn't how the MCAT is scored to my knowledge.

Rather the MCAT uses tester questions in each test and looks at how many people got those questions right - and based on that it generates a curve of what it percieves to be the percent of people who will get that question right if it were given on a test. Based on the proportion of wrong and right answer percentages, they generate a curve. This essentially means that the test you take is already HAS a curve built in because based on the difficulty of the questions (and now you say what previous tests - and I say remember the sections at the end of the OLD mcat where you got amazon gift cards?).

This is definitely a fairer method of generating a curve - but again not the best for a few reasons. For example....if the testers perceive the questions on a section to be easy-mild difficulty - the curve is harsh, when its mild-moderate, its less forgiving...there's still subjectivity built in. Lastly, we all say oh I got an X/53 right on the CARS section - That means I'll get a 127 or 128 or something right? Wrong. There are a certain # of questions on each section that are testers that do not contribute to your mark, which sucks because lets say there are 6 testers, and you get all those right and then get 6 wrong on the non-testers your score is lower than it should be and usually the curve is more forgiving for CP/BS but definitely not for Verbal which probably leads to such variance in CARS scores for people

Reactions: 1 users
Does the P/C section seem really difficult for you as well? On the AAMC material I was performing the best on it (80%) but EK's is for some reason causing me more trouble than the other sections.
Yep, the chem phys sections were brutal on 1-3. Got like a 51% on EK 3 I think. Averages for 1 and 2 were mid 60s and I believe I hit an 88% on the fourth since it was less tricky. I'm grateful for those exams though -- I think they've made me a little better at deciphering harder passages!

haha well according to the wise words of Ellie Goulding..."anything could happen!"

MCAT pump-up jams 2015:

but in all seriousness, I think I've given up studying...Probably just gonna chill for the next couple days. Cannot wait to get this exam out of the way, and hopefully set all my MCAT books aflame.

Lmao I was about to say I've been so good about not procrastinating all summer and the taste of freedom at the end of this week has hit me with a procrastination level over 9000. I gotta just start studying, i still have physics and CARS 2 q packs and KA to review and then I'm going to rest on Wednesday before test day.

Lmao I was about to say I've been so good about not procrastinating all summer and the taste of freedom at the end of this week has hit me with a procrastination level over 9000. I gotta just start studying, i still have physics and CARS 2 q packs and KA to review and then I'm going to rest on Wednesday before test day.

Same here. I just got to the library to review my last FL. Last push here yall. Fight for those few extra points!

THIS. I feel like my entire score rides on how I perform on this section. At this point if I just capitalize on the sciences and somehow walk away with a 126+ on CARS on the real thing I will be ecstatic!

I don't think we should be as afraid of CARS considering 7% of test takers get a 12 and above (129+), whereas only 2% of test takers would on the old exam. They've made it not impossible to get a 13-15 and so scores should move up slightly accordingly.

Apparently, AAMC also claims that the earlier test takers this year may have gotten a more lenient curve/higher scores than those at the end of the year... I don't get how that works. We are still guinea pigs of this exam... it's less than 4 months old.

"We recognize that the first test takers on the new exam may be different from test takers who sit for the exam later in the year. It is possible that early test takers will be higher scoring than those who test later. We also recognize that 2015 may be an unusual testing year."

I don't think this implies anything about the curve.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think we should be as afraid of CARS considering 7% of test takers get a 12 and above (129+), whereas only 2% of test takers would on the old exam. They've made it not impossible to get a 13-15 and so scores should move up slightly accordingly.

"We recognize that the first test takers on the new exam may be different from test takers who sit for the exam later in the year. It is possible that early test takers will be higher scoring than those who test later. We also recognize that 2015 may be an unusual testing year."

Sorry about that, I read it hastily last night while I was taking a 5 minute break from doing a few CARs passages.

I too had problems understanding this. The problem with that is that it says that the "binding" decreases not increases. the explanation for this wasn't clear, so I really didn't get what the table meant especially when it referred to K0 as the binding constant "in the absence of metal". I was thinking maybe Ka in this sense maybe meant the equilibrium "with the metal" and that since it was really large I thought that maybe that equated to more dissociation or less binding, whereas the Ka/K0 ratio (without metal), meant a decreased Ka equilibrium constant and more binding in the absence of the metal.

I guess do you treat K0 as the binding constant vs. K0 as the affinity constant as separate things?

--SPOILERS AAMC FL--

Maybe, maybe not?...zzz's explanation to think of the "binding constant" as an equilibrium constant makes sense, and you can use that reasoning for #30 to see that the metal leads to less binding. However, for #32, they refer to Table 1, in which K0 is now called the "affinity constant". If you still use the same reasoning and think of Ka as the equilibrium constant you get the right answer (Ka,warf < Ka,ibu so you get the least amount of binding when warfarin is present, so warfarin is the competitive inhibitor). Even though they use the term "affinity" it makes sense if you continue thinking of it in terms of equilibrium.

Idk. I'm chalking this one up to vague wording. I felt that they were leading toward the Michaelis-Menten model with the use of the word "affinity" but they really weren't.

Last edited:
Yeah they're different.

Think of a river flowing slowly vs squirting a water gun. The river has a higher flow rate because there's a lot more volume being displaced per second. The water gun has a higher velocity because the water is being squirted faster.

Excellent analogy!

I feel like this is the equivalent of saying "Bridge may be icy."
It may or may not be icy. We don't really know.

Thanks, AAMC.

Could someone explain why #11 on the C/P OG is R,R?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 5.45.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 5.45.44 PM.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 45
Could someone explain why #11 on the C/P OG is R,R?

This one tripped me up to...You gotta be careful. This one was tricky because you have to also take into account the oxygen in the ring and give that priority over the carbon in the functional groups. Hence it's gonna end up going R,R. It's really easy to make stupid errors on these configuration questions, so it's probably best to slow it down and make sure you match up the priorities one by one.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there anyway to see your 'liked' posts on SDN? You guys say such helpful things and I like them thinking I can refer to them later but it doesn't seem like I can unless I search through the thread

Is there anyway to see your 'liked' posts on SDN? You guys say such helpful things and I like them thinking I can refer to them later but it doesn't seem like I can unless I search through the thread

You can only see how many likes you've received I believe. Not sure if it's different with bronze/silver/gold/lifetime donors.

anyone know if you are allowed to write things down during your 30 minute break if you come back to your computer station early? or if the notes you write in the 1st half of the exam get taken away before the 2nd half starts?

I'd like to jot down some pathways or structures before the biochem section if I'm feeling anxious so I don't accidentally mix things up.

thanks @Dreamstoo I will continue taking screen shots then, lol.

The majority of my computers files, reading list and bookmarks are all MCAT related things. I can't wait till this exam is over so I can clear my history

I can't study anymore... it feels as if my mind has used up all of its energy.... can august 6th be tomorrow already?

Reactions: 3 users
I can't study anymore... it feels as if my mind has used up all of its energy.... can august 6th be tomorrow already?

Also taking it on the 6th, only way to keep going for me is to eat and take a short break before going for a run.

Anyhow, I think I'm mostly ready. Perhaps buckle down with some more content review over the next few days.

My scores on TPR fluctuated quite a bit:
TPR Complete Test 1: 503
TPR Complete Test 2: 505
TPR Complete Test 3: 503
MCAT Review Test 1: 506
TPR Course Test 1: 505
TPR Course Test 2: 510
TPR Course Test 3: 508
TPR Course Test 4: 516

Finally did AAMC FL today and didn't do as well as I wanted compared to guide questions but it's all minor difficulties that can be amended.
C/P - 88%
CARS - 92% <- The readability of these passages and the guide passages overall compared to TPR is a night and day difference.
B/B - 78%
P/S - 83%

So, what's everyone bringing for lunch on their test day?

Last edited:
So I did the AAMC FL today and I'm not too sure how to feel about it.

C/P: 66%
CARS: 88%
Bio/Biochem: 80%
Psych/Soc: 78%

What does that translate to? Taking it on the 6th btw

Reactions: 1 user
Any suggestions when to take the AAMC FL? I'm testing on 8/22 and I was thinking of taking it around 8/12