The Official August 22, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Person0715

Socially awkward
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! With just a little less than 2 months to go, I am wondering why this thread hasn't been made yet.

Is anyone else here signed up for the 8/22 MCAT?

I'm following the SN2ed schedule and I can't wait to be done with content review. I'm excited to finally take an AAMC to see if I've been studying correctly these last 2 months.

Members don't see this ad.

Omgah, I'm losing it too. I'm so darn tired of reading and studying. I keep getting distracted and falling asleep. I keep telling myself that I need to keep going, that I'm so close to my dream and to screw this up might screw EVERYTHING up, that I am capable and smart... But I keep getting discouraged and exhausted. Seeing superstar scores on SDN isn't super helpful either, but I can't stop reading these forums! How do y'all combat restlessness? I took my first day off of studying all summer earlier this week, and I seem to have just been dragging my feet since then. Maybe breaks don't help me refocus my energy... Ugh. I just feel whiny and need to vent, I think. Haha. I don't really know anyone IRL who has taken the MCAT, so I have nothing but SDN to compare myself to or talk to about this process. I think that definitely adds to the stress level!

Omgah, I'm losing it too. I'm so darn tired of reading and studying. I keep getting distracted and falling asleep. I keep telling myself that I need to keep going, that I'm so close to my dream and to screw this up might screw EVERYTHING up, that I am capable and smart... But I keep getting discouraged and exhausted. Seeing superstar scores on SDN isn't super helpful either, but I can't stop reading these forums! How do y'all combat restlessness? I took my first day off of studying all summer earlier this week, and I seem to have just been dragging my feet since then. Maybe breaks don't help me refocus my energy... Ugh. I just feel whiny and need to vent, I think. Haha. I don't really know anyone IRL who has taken the MCAT, so I have nothing but SDN to compare myself to or talk to about this process. I think that definitely adds to the stress level!

i feel the same way, i feel like i am getting less and less accomplished each day. it is definitely a tiresome process studying for such an extended period of time. I've been sleeping in as well and not getting up as early as i want too, needa figure out a way to get back on track

i feel the same way, i feel like i am getting less and less accomplished each day. it is definitely a tiresome process studying for such an extended period of time. I've been sleeping in as well and not getting up as early as i want too, needa figure out a way to get back on track

I'm starting to feel frustrated with all this studying too. I just took AAMC 4 and scored a 33 again, except this time my break down was 12 PS, 12 VR, 9 BS as opposed to 12 PS, 9 VR, 12 BS. I was hoping to at least improve a point or two. What was I doing in BS!?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone taking 8/22 applying this cycle? Im retaking mine on this date but Im not sure if its too late for a retake. (Applying to DO and MD)

I recently had this problem. I got over it by reading posts and talking to people who scored low even after studying. As soon as you hear that hear how they actually scored compared to how things were going during studying, you will make sure you are studying

I was way pumped everyday until I started taking full length tests... I honestly feel like biology is just a reading test... and verbal is just a reading test.. and I am not getting much better at reading in 25 days :laugh: it is discouraging to feel like I studied so much but I have studied as if it was for a test in a class rather than the MCAT... I could pull out any content from my ***** that they could ever ask, but if they want me to read, comprehend, and think quickly in a critical way about it I'm screwed... :scared:

I was way pumped everyday until I started taking full length tests... I honestly feel like biology is just a reading test... and verbal is just a reading test.. and I am not getting much better at reading in 25 days :laugh: it is discouraging to feel like I studied so much but I have studied as if it was for a test in a class rather than the MCAT... I could pull out any content from my ***** that they could ever ask, but if they want me to read, comprehend, and think quickly in a critical way about it I'm screwed... :scared:

Oohhh see I'm the opposite. Reading and critical thinking are my strong suits. If BS is like people are saying, and it's more about reading comprehension than knowledge, I will do much better. I really am suffering from a lack of background knowledge I think. But VR is awesome.

I am planning on starting the SA now as extra practice. how many days should I give myself to finish all of them excluding verbal.

I am planning on starting the SA now as extra practice. how many days should I give myself to finish all of them excluding verbal.

As normal as I am, 4 days (one for each subject)

If you consider yourself is a race car driver, 2 then. :p

I'm giving myself two days for each subject. Three days for physics because I will need it! I want to make sure I have ample time to review and do practice problems relating to my weaknesses. But again, I work. So that takes up some of my time.

Do you guys think finishing one subject in one day is better than working on all four of them over a course of four days?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was only planning on doing the verbal SA. Because i am pretty confident that I know my weaknesses. Do you guys feel like doing the SA is good to identify weaknesses or for practice?

I think it's helpful! I was way off on some of my bio strengths and weaknesses. Plus it's just good practice. I dunno. A little disheartening too, but good motivation.

Is anyone taking 8/22 applying this cycle? Im retaking mine on this date but Im not sure if its too late for a retake. (Applying to DO and MD)

I'm applying this cycle! This is my first time taking it so I'm even later than you! I actually called the schools that I wanted to go to and asked if they thought an August MCAT would be too late. They told me no but everyone here told me to send all of my application in before I take the MCAT. I'm already verified and everything so all they need is my score!

And I'm glad I came here because I have been feeling so sluggish and not wanting to study as well! I thought I was the only one! Comforting to know that I'm not the only one struggling! AHHH, less than a month!!!!! All I can think about is the sweet, sweet freedom I'll have afterwards!!!! We can do it guys!

i want to take a break day, but i am too scared to take a break day

I know how you feel. However, don't go overboard with the studying. You wouldn't want to burn out when you've already come this far. At the very least, designate a fews where you will only do some light studying.

Is anyone else using less TBR passages for physics/gen chem/orgo for practice? After doing a few AAMC tests I've realized that the TBR passages are good for grasping the necessary understanding of each topic but I don't feel they really represent the type of passages we will see on the real thing (excluding TBR bio). Instead, I've begun to use the TPR science workbook/kaplan tests much more for practice as I feel they are more representative. What are your guys' thought?

Is anyone else using less TBR passages for physics/gen chem/orgo for practice? After doing a few AAMC tests I've realized that the TBR passages are good for grasping the necessary understanding of each topic but I don't feel they really represent the type of passages we will see on the real thing (excluding TBR bio). Instead, I've begun to use the TPR science workbook/kaplan tests much more for practice as I feel they are more representative. What are your guys' thought?

I use TPR and TBR for content review, but only TPR for questions. I don't feel like TBR is very representative, no.

I use TPR and TBR for content review, but only TPR for questions. I don't feel like TBR is very representative, no.

I feel the exact same way. I'm also doing TPR and Kaplan section tests for practice passages, but I am also continuing TBR per the SN2 schedule out of pure neuroticism

For the self assessments are you guys looking up facts/equations you don't know during the test? I feel like you can get more out of it if you struggle with the question for a while then look it up and commit it to memory instead of guessing.

For the self assessments are you guys looking up facts/equations you don't know during the test? I feel like you can get more out of it if you struggle with the question for a while then look it up and commit it to memory instead of guessing.

Er dude no cheating during the SA, man. :wtf:

That's the whole point: to find your weaknesses.

scores update... feeling like I am getting the flow of the AAMC style passages a little better... I would cry if I could really grasp a 36 on the real deal :biglove:

AAMC 3 : 10 8 12 - 30
Kaplan 4 : 13 11 12 - 36
AAMC 4 :13 8 12 - 33
Kaplan 2 :12 11 11 - 34
AAMC 5 :13 11 12 - 36

pumped to see verbal starting to go up! I think all I can do is be confident, focus, and pray I can understand what's going on in the passage :confused:

I got 6 more AAMC and 6 more kaplan FL to go...

scores update... feeling like I am getting the flow of the AAMC style passages a little better... I would cry if I could really grasp a 36 on the real deal :biglove:

AAMC 3 : 10 8 12 - 30
Kaplan 4 : 13 11 12 - 36
AAMC 4 :13 8 12 - 33
Kaplan 2 :12 11 11 - 34
AAMC 5 :13 11 12 - 36

pumped to see verbal starting to go up! I think all I can do is be confident, focus, and pray I can understand what's going on in the passage :confused:

I got 6 more AAMC and 6 more kaplan FL to go...

You do anything differently for verbal between 4 and 5?

I had a similar surge in verbal scores. My verbal on AAMC3 was a bleak 9. Then it improved to a 12 on AAMC 4. Most recently I got a 14 in AAMC5. Believe me, I do not know how this happened. Right now, I'm chalking it up to luck, but hopefully, I can maintain a high verbal score.

Recently, it just feels like verbal is starting to click. I've been reading at a slower pace and instead of racing to finish each passage in 6 minutes, I give myself 8 minutes. I noticed I've started quickly summarizing what I just read in my own words after reading each passage. I don't know if this actually helps, but since I started doing it, I've been doing better in verbal. However, when I answer the questions, I still feel as lost as ever.

Last edited:
3 weeks guys!

Has anyone done EK 101 Verbal? I have like 9 tests in the book left. (i think it was out of 12 or 14). Did you guys do them in tests over do 3 passages of them a day? looking to improve my verbal score to a 12 on the real mcat!

3 weeks guys!

Has anyone done EK 101 Verbal? I have like 9 tests in the book left. (i think it was out of 12 or 14). Did you guys do them in tests over do 3 passages of them a day? looking to improve my verbal score to a 12 on the real mcat!

I did 3 passages a day. Have you done TPRH Verbal or the Verbal SAP? It might be a better idea to do either or both since they are more representative of the real thing than EK

I'm applying this cycle! This is my first time taking it so I'm even later than you! I actually called the schools that I wanted to go to and asked if they thought an August MCAT would be too late. They told me no but everyone here told me to send all of my application in before I take the MCAT. I'm already verified and everything so all they need is my score!

And I'm glad I came here because I have been feeling so sluggish and not wanting to study as well! I thought I was the only one! Comforting to know that I'm not the only one struggling! AHHH, less than a month!!!!! All I can think about is the sweet, sweet freedom I'll have afterwards!!!! We can do it guys!

oh thats a good idea I think I will call the schools! By the way love your enthusiasm I think we all need that now.

I did 3 passages a day. Have you done TPRH Verbal or the Verbal SAP? It might be a better idea to do either or both since they are more representative of the real thing than EK

I wasnt sure if I should do SA at the end or not. I think Ill do that first and then practice with EK. Thanks!

Doing Physics Self Assessment today!! Ugh, I know I'm gonna do terrible. I hate physics. Oh well. Once I do it, I can focus on my weaknesses!!

In a few days, I'll start taking FLs. I'm really looking forward to that.

Just finished my first full length (AAMC #3): 8PS/ 13VR/ 14BS= 35

Pretty satisfied, especially since I haven't finished content review. But I also hear this is the easiest AAMC full-length. I need to get my PS up to at least 10. 22 days to do it!

No matter what I do, I feel like I'm getting bent over on the TBR bio using the SN2ed method where all i've read is the EK bio chapters. I'm averaging around low 60% for the BR passages in bio. If my goal is a 35+, is that okay? If not does anyone have tips on how to get better at them? Should I keep on doing them at all since everyone says BR is way too detailed in bio?

No matter what I do, I feel like I'm getting bent over on the TBR bio using the SN2ed method where all i've read is the EK bio chapters. I'm averaging around low 60% for the BR passages in bio. If my goal is a 35+, is that okay? If not does anyone have tips on how to get better at them? Should I keep on doing them at all since everyone says BR is way too detailed in bio?

TBR bio is a bit more detail oriented than the bio passages I've encountered on other practice passage sources and also on the practice AAMCs. I think TBR is a good way to get the basics down along with some nitty gritty details, so don't fret about making your mistakes on TBR bio. Better yet, make your mistakes on TBR bio so you don't make them on practice tests.

I was scoring similarly on TBR bio passages, getting 60% or so with some 70 and 80%s mixed in. At the beginning, I was really worried, but now I'm more lax about making mistakes when doing TBR passages. I don't know if it's because I've become complacent or I've come to realize mistakes are natural when TBR is so detail oriented.

As a point of reference, I scored a 12, 9, and 13 on the BS sections for AAMC 3-5. I am hoping the 9 was a fluke!

What's everyone's hoping to get as a score breakdown? I think my realistic hope is:

PS: 10-11
VR: 12-14
BS: 11-13

honestly, it all depends on why you're getting these questions wrong. I did the same TBR passages after reading tprh bio for content (more detailed than ek) and i was still hitting mid 60% on tbr bio passages no matter how carefully i read and how long i took per passage. Most of my mistakes though were coming from not knowing arbitrary details etc.

As far as translating to AAMC bio, i think TBR is far from indicative of how you will do personally. Coming from averaging mid 60% for all of bio in TBR, i think i broke 70 on one set.

However, I have taken three of the AAMC full lenghts.

FL 3: 12
FL 4: 14
FL 5: 12

I've managed to score pretty well on the AAMC bio FLs because most of the information you need to know is in the passage, so it makes it easier if you know your basic concepts.

So all in all don't worry about how you do on TBR bio, i don't think its a good indicator at all, i was terrified about breaking 10 on bio till i sat down and took an FL

Verbal is legit a hit or a miss for me. I seriously don't know what to do. I've tried reading all sorts of tips from sdn, but my VR just doesn't seem to be consistent at all and I've reached 9s a couple of times, but have never gotten to double digits.

I did one of the practice tests from TPR hyperlearning VR today and I would have gotten only 6 wrong (which would be amazing for me if this could ever happen!) but I got absolutely destroyed by this one passage where I literally got 1/7 (seriously!) questions right, making me have -12 questions wrong overall.... And what sucks even more is that I legit don't understand that passage. I tried reviewing it and reading it again, but I just couldn't understand it... meaning I could pick up things here and there, but apparently I missed the author's whole argument! Has anyone encountered this before? It just feels so hopeless... for VR, my only chance to do well is if I'm lucky, which rarely ever happens so I'm screwed. :( :scared:

I'm being hopeful and trying to aim for the following scores...
PS: 13-14
VR: 10-11 (doubt this will happen.. sigh at the very best would be a 9)
BS: 13-14

..trying to be hopeful but it's hard to imagine VR can be improved in >3 weeks

I took 4 at my desk at home... while I took 5 at my university library with earplugs and I felt more pressure as if it was a real test... honestly to me verbal is just how focused I am and the more I can really simulate a real test the better I do... I'm just hoping adrenaline and pressure of the real deal will get me a 10+

Verbal is legit a hit or a miss for me. I seriously don't know what to do. I've tried reading all sorts of tips from sdn, but my VR just doesn't seem to be consistent at all and I've reached 9s a couple of times, but have never gotten to double digits.

I did one of the practice tests from TPR hyperlearning VR today and I would have gotten only 6 wrong (which would be amazing for me if this could ever happen!) but I got absolutely destroyed by this one passage where I literally got 1/7 (seriously!) questions right, making me have -12 questions wrong overall.... And what sucks even more is that I legit don't understand that passage. I tried reviewing it and reading it again, but I just couldn't understand it... meaning I could pick up things here and there, but apparently I missed the author's whole argument! Has anyone encountered this before? It just feels so hopeless... for VR, my only chance to do well is if I'm lucky, which rarely ever happens so I'm screwed. :( :scared:

I'm aiming for:

PS 12-15
VR 10-15
BS: 12-15

Ultimately hoping for 36+

Tuhtles, how fast are you reading the passages? Are you quickly skimming or taking the time really read?

Luckily verbal is my strong point but even I figured out some ways to improve my score. I started categorizing each question(based on the five categories from wikipremed) and I looked for patterns. I quickly noticed that I was getting a particular type of question wrong and I was able to figure out why. Try doing that, it may help.

I think that I will take AAMC 4 tomorrow! Wow! That's so exciting and nerve wracking. I have no idea how I will do....

Just took AAMC 5 and got a 36
PS:13
VR:11
BS:12

I feel like the more i take of these tests, solid consistent studying and hardwork can get you at most a 12 in a given section. Anything beyond that just seems to be dependent on what test you are given day off.

Disclaimer don't read further if you haven't taken AAMC 5!********************

Hopefully BS doesn't get much harder, the passage on the macro/micro nucleus came out of nowhere and i could barely understand it -_-

Last edited:
Just took AAMC 5 and got a 36
PS:13
VR:11
BS:12

I feel like the more i take of these tests, solid consistent studying and hardwork can get you at most a 12 in a given section. Anything beyond that just seems to be dependent on what test you are given day off.

Hopefully BS doesn't get much harder, the passage on the macro/micro nucleus came out of nowhere and i could barely understand it -_-

HAVE A DISCLAIMER BEFORE DISCUSSING AAMC DETAILS.

I've taken it already, but others who haven't don't want to see details.

I'm aiming for:

PS 12-15
VR 10-15
BS: 12-15

Ultimately hoping for 36+

Tuhtles, how fast are you reading the passages? Are you quickly skimming or taking the time really read?

I typically read the passage anywhere from 3-4.5 minutes. If I get a good grip on what's going on, then I can usually fly through the questions feeling somewhat confident. Time is still a bit tight for me though. I sometimes have to force myself to stop thinking further about the question and just stick with the gut feeling and pick that answer choice and move on. I do much better when I get straight forward/factual passages, but when an abstract one comes up, I'm so lost. I read the whole thing anyway and then go through with the questions but when I'm answering them, I feel like I'm just gambling and hoping I pick the right one although I can usually eliminate some obviously wrong ones.

Luckily verbal is my strong point but even I figured out some ways to improve my score. I started categorizing each question(based on the five categories from wikipremed) and I looked for patterns. I quickly noticed that I was getting a particular type of question wrong and I was able to figure out why. Try doing that, it may help

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try this and make myself do some heavy post analysis. I always hated doing post analysis for VR and sometimes skip it... pretty sure that's gonna bite me in the butt lol so I shall do what I need to do to improve

Just took TPR CTB 5 today:
Composite: 34
PS: 10 (..darn those careless errors)
VR: 9
BS: 15

I was really tired in the morning when I started out doing PS... missed a whole bunch of questions because I didn't pay attention to numbers and had silly calculations errors.. so stupid! Being well rested is really important for me when it comes to performance
VR: eh..again no improvement. But definitely happy that I didn't get a 6 or 7 as I have before..
BS: Unusually easy and had 20 min to look over answers. Passages were super short and I was surprised that there were absolutely no experimental passages??? I've done TPR and some kaplan tests as well as BS AAMC SA and I feel like TPR is completely unrepresentative (at least the CTBs) Kaplan BS feels on par with informative/experimental passages. Anyone feel this way too?

Last edited:
Just when I thought verbal and I were starting to get along, I get a 9 on AAMC 7. I've been consistently getting only 1 wrong every three passages in TPRH verbal the past few days. I wonder what went wrong.

On the bright side I managed to bring my sciences up to 13. Definitely a bittersweet outcome.

How is everyone else's prep going. Just less than 3 weeks left!

Just when I thought verbal and I were starting to get along, I get a 9 on AAMC 7. I've been consistently getting only 1 wrong every three passages in TPRH verbal the past few days. I wonder what went wrong.

On the bright side I managed to bring my sciences up to 13. Definitely a bittersweet outcome.

How is everyone else's prep going. Just less than 3 weeks left!

Did you change a lot of your answers? I would have only gotten two wrong if I had just stuck with my original answers and moved on. Sad thing is I know changing answers is not a good idea but I did it anyway lol