The Official August 9, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IL Pre Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just started studying today. Anyone else with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You gotta be kidding me. You don't even have the motivation to search up what that means?

Good luck in medicine with your level of self-inquiry.

Dear roommate, please don't lock me out tonight or kill me when I sleep...but you said "try to be not harsh". :eek::eek: :lol::lol::lol:

Dear roommate, please don't lock me out tonight or kill me when I sleep...but you said "try to be not harsh". :eek::eek: :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah I tried at first because I gave OP the benefit of the doubt. Then he goes and refuses to take the 2 seconds to search what that acronym means. So I stopped trying.

haha yeah except verbal was the only section I felt decent about and my PS was awful, so definitely not realistic for me

Yea that verbal's gonna be interesting. I was thought it was strangely easy (and so did everyone else I know that took it that day) so I guess we'll see lol.

Yea that verbal's gonna be interesting. I was thought it was strangely easy (and so did everyone else I know that took it that day) so I guess we'll see lol.

yeah, only one passage that (i thought) was weird). never felt that good about a verbal section. ever. maybe it was the redbull.

yeah, only one passage that (i thought) was weird). never felt that good about a verbal section. ever. maybe it was the redbull.

Yeah, I felt the verbal was good, but had a prob with one passage in particular. Praying it was experimental.

I also felt good about verbal except one passage. What passage was it that you had trouble (as in number)? For me it was the very last one.

I agree with verbal. I think it was the last or second to last one that I thought to be tricky...but then again, I was a ******* and was extremely sleep deprived, so it's all kind of a blur.

Members don't see this ad :)

It was strangely easy in that all the passages were very enjoyable and I caught lots of sarcastic tongue-in-cheek lines, which were later tested on in the questions! :D

So learned today I've got a molecular biology test the day after scores release. A full day of panic and score checking is NOT going to be conducive to passing..

Aren't we suppose to get our Amazon giftcards today? Did any of you get it yet? I am sure I bombed that trial section which was on Biochemistry.

Last edited:
Plans if you guys get your target score or better?

Personally, if I get the score I want, I have decided that this test has caused me so much physical/mental pain that regardless of it being a weeknight I am getting **** faced.

Plans if you guys get your target score or better?

Personally, if I get the score I want, I have decided that this test has caused me so much physical/mental pain that regardless of it being a weeknight I am getting **** faced.

Not a partier or a drinker here. Treating suitemates to pizza at night if good news, eating pity pizza alone at night if bad news. Either way, I'm not doing any work on Tuesday. (I have a biochem quiz next Thursday, but I'm already done studying for it out of fear that nothing will get done early next week because I'm too giddy/sad.)

Not a partier or a drinker here. Treating suitemates to pizza at night if good news, eating pity pizza alone at night if bad news. Either way, I'm not doing any work on Tuesday. (I have a biochem quiz next Thursday, but I'm already done studying for it out of fear that nothing will get done early next week because I'm too giddy/sad.)

Eh guess its not for everyone. Actually, if i do bad enough I might be getting just as drunk. Also, random coincidence, I have a biochem quiz on tuesday, thought I would share.

After typing that it I have realized its not actually coincidental at all because its pretty likely to have a quiz around the second 2 weeks of classes and its not even actually on the same day. I redact my coincidence.

Did you guys get emails about the gift cards already? Or is it just predicted that we should have them around that time?

If I get my target score or better, I'm drinking lots of tequila. If I don't get my target score, I'm drinking lots tequila.

What's everybody's AAMC average, target score, and prediction?

First Time (may 2013)
AAMC: 31
Prediction: 32
Actual: 28...

This time
AAMC: 34
Prediction: 30
Target:31

AAMC: 37 (taking out bad conditions/feeling unwell)
Prediction: meaningless so I don't do that
Target: 40, no upper limit

Interesting your mind went there.

My other thought was that you're also a cuber like me and needed more lube for your cubes because you had just used up your syringe or something, but the probability of that is.....low at best, absurd at worst lol.

#geekproblems

Worst case scenario: 9/11/11
Realistic: 10/12/12
Best case: 11/14/13

AAMC average: a little above 36

AAMC avg ~32
Target 32
Prediction: 30 as soon as I got out of the test, but over the past few weeks my prediction has fallen to 29

Why would you exclude bad conditions or when you felt bad about it? That just skews upward unrealistically.

Unwell = sick, not "bad." Bad conditions = constant landscaping noise from outside my house.

Seeing as how I had neither of those going on during the real deal, there is no rational reason to keep those two outliers (32/33) in my average. Furthermore, they were sandwiched between a 38 and 40.

Also, excluding only brings my average up by 1 point, and that's only after rounding up from a 36.8.

Either way, I still have horribly inconsistent AAMC scores, 35-40. ****ing narrow ass scale.

Much to learn on SDN you have, young Padawan.

Why would you exclude bad conditions or when you felt bad about it? That just skews upward unrealistically.

Unrealistically? What if realistically during his MCAT, he was not sick and did not have to deal with the extra noise. I think you're attributing a poor performance strictly to content knowledge. However, other issues can play a much larger role (eg if you were fasting, dealing with other distractions, etc).

Unrealistically? What if realistically during his MCAT, he was not sick and did not have to deal with the extra noise. I think you're attributing a poor performance strictly to content knowledge. However, other issues can play a much larger role (eg if you were fasting, dealing with other distractions, etc).

+1.3806488

Newbie SDN user is newbie. It's okay; we can forgive him.

AAMC avg: I want to say 38 to seem ballin but it was probably closer to 37 haha
Target: 50

:naughty:

I want my gift card