The Official August 9, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IL Pre Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just started studying today. Anyone else with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't you take it with us on August 9th already? Is this for a retake? (Or have you been trolling this whole time?)

Kaplan.

I cancelled it because I was not ready. Did you take Kaplan course? What package do you think is right for premed? Thanks bro.

Members don't see this ad :)
I cancelled it because I was not ready. Did you take Kaplan course? What package do you think is right for premed? Thanks bro.

You're a bad liar.

And people were yelling at me for denying you help last time around..

And 3.7s at my school score 35+. Those with 3.8+ easily get 39-40. I can't speak for 3.9+ because honestly they are very very rare, but the one dude and gal I know (boyfriend-girlfriend) have 3.95/3.98, 41/42, respectively, and go to Chicago on full merit. Said it was cake. lol. When underclassmen freak out about the MCAT, upperclassmen just talk about how chill their studying was and how we're still gonna bash up that 35 average across everyone applying in a cycle (little to no screening exists; the committee will write anyone up).

People here still scare me :(

GPA is a very broken system.

You can say that again. And people rhetorically ask why the MCAT should be weighted more than GPA in one's application. The whole USMLE passing-potential aside, it should be apparent that GPA has, ahem, limited use.

You can say that again. And people rhetorically ask why the MCAT should be weighted more than GPA in one's application. The whole USMLE passing-potential aside, it should be apparent that GPA has, ahem, limited use.

Okay, well I'd qualify that by saying it actually can become very useful if one knows of the difficulty of the undergrad institution at hand. For example, because of what I've seen and know, I just know that someone with a 3.9 from HYPMS can kill med school with their eyes half closed and playing Ultimate at the same time. And a 3.5 from VCU won't be able to take the heat because it's a crap school and getting Bs in those classes does not bode well. (VA residents can attest to this.)

As you can see, though, this gives inherent bias to those from elite schools, but use of GPA can still offer some valuable information.

Okay, well I'd qualify that by saying it actually can become very useful if one knows of the difficulty of the undergrad institution at hand. For example, because of what I've seen and know, I just know that someone with a 3.9 from HYPMS can kill med school with their eyes half closed and playing Ultimate at the same time. And a 3.5 from VCU won't be able to take the heat because it's a crap school and getting Bs in those classes does not bode well. (VA residents can attest to this.)

As you can see, though, this gives inherent bias to those from elite schools, but use of GPA can still offer some valuable information.

But that's a small minority of cases. I totally recognize that a 3.9 from Princeton is a big deal and says a lot, but that's not common. There are a couple thousand colleges in the US, and by definition only a small handful are elite schools with broadly known standards of academic rigor. For the great majority of applicants then, there isn't going to be enough known to evaluate GPA relative to other applicants'.

My understanding is that the MCAT is the great equalizer. It is used as a predictor of how a person might do on the stage 1 exam.

As such, the MCAT is treated the same as SAT for undergraduate. If you had high GPA and low SAT then the GPA was discounted. The same is true for the MCAT. In my opinion and what I have seen many people have high GPA and low MCAT.

But that's a small minority of cases. I totally recognize that a 3.9 from Princeton is a big deal and says a lot, but that's not common. There are a couple thousand colleges in the US, and by definition only a small handful are elite schools with broadly known standards of academic rigor. For the great majority of applicants then, there isn't going to be enough known to evaluate GPA relative to other applicants'.

There is issue of grade inflation. How do you handle that?

I know of young lady at Brown U. who said that it was easy to A. In fact the pre-med committee had set 3.80 as cutoff for processing applications.

The medical school AC know of each college. Just as in applying to college, a profile of the school is provided with the application. This explains the rigor of courses and spread of grades.

In the situation where there is grade deflation, as is the case with Williams College, it is hard to get A. The pre-med counselor states that having at least B+ (Williams doesn't have credit system) will have ~ 80% chance of being accepted into some medical school. If the GPA is > 3.40 then there is very high chance of getting into many of the more prestigious medical schools. The difference is the MCAT, where the average is 35.

The point is that the medical schools know the undergraduate schools and what to expect.

I know of young lady at Brown U. who said that it was easy to A. In fact the pre-med committee had set 3.80 as cutoff for processing applications.

The medical school AC know of each college. Just as in applying to college, a profile of the school is provided with the application. This explains the rigor of courses and spread of grades.

In the situation where there is grade deflation, as is the case with Williams College, it is hard to get A. The pre-med counselor states that having at least B+ (Williams doesn't have credit system) will have ~ 80% chance of being accepted into some medical school. If the GPA is > 3.40 then there is very high chance of getting into many of the more prestigious medical schools. The difference is the MCAT, where the average is 35.

The point is that the medical schools know the undergraduate schools and what to expect.

Whaaaat? No..

AMCAS provides medical schools with no such thing.

Good idea. I will take the course. Do you think TPR course is better than Berkerey review course?

I don't know about all the courses having only taken TPR Hyper learning. What I noticed though is that TBR science books are better when compared to the TPR books. The TBR science books have better problems than the TPR books (even when you take the TPRH science workbook into account). Berkeley is just more in depth with concepts and helps you learn things to the core. Also, their questions are less directly related to their content. On the other hand, Biology is totally unnecessary when done by TBR. Physics/Gen Chem/Orgo are better done by TBR.

If you can afford to mix and match this is ideal (note this is heavily based on SN2'ed's plan):

1. Physics- TBR
2. General Chemistry- TBR
3. Biology - Read Examkrackers (do their in text problems for comprehension) and then do TBRs questions
4. Organic Chem: TBR (but Princeton is a solid option as well)
5. Verbal: TPRH>EK>>>>>>>>>TBR
Anything made by Princeton is good verbal practice. It's slightly harder than AAMC but not in a way that contradicts the AAMC format/logic (...unlike TBR). Buy the TPRH verbal workbook (any additional TPR passages you can get your hands on and 101 EK verbal passages) ...don't use TBR or Kaplan for verbal.

I don't know about all the courses having only taken TPR Hyper learning. What I noticed though is that TBR science books are better when compared to the TPR books. The TBR science books have better problems than the TPR books (even when you take the TPRH science workbook into account). Berkeley is just more in depth with concepts and helps you learn things to the core. Also, their questions are less directly related to their content. On the other hand, Biology is totally unnecessary when done by TBR. Physics/Gen Chem/Orgo are better done by TBR.

If you can afford to mix and match this is ideal (note this is heavily based on SN2'ed's plan):

1. Physics- TBR
2. General Chemistry- TBR
3. Biology - Read Examkrackers (do their in text problems for comprehension) and then do TBRs questions
4. Organic Chem: TBR (but Princeton is a solid option as well)
5. Verbal: TPRH>EK>>>>>>>>>TBR
Anything made by Princeton is good verbal practice. It's slightly harder than AAMC but not in a way that contradicts the AAMC format/logic (...unlike TBR). Buy the TPRH verbal workbook (any additional TPR passages you can get your hands on and 101 EK verbal passages) ...don't use TBR or Kaplan for verbal.
Thank you for your time to write this information. Do I still need to take any mcat course if I study well with these materials?

Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe he is referring to a committee letter from a school's premed committee. I don't know if all schools do this, but I have heard that some premed committees provide such similar explanations.

The question is what the pre-med committee provides. Many committees send to AMCAS as part of their package, which can include LORs.

How much do you know about what is provided to AMCAS? You should understand this and it might help your application.

Last edited:
Thank you for your time to write this information. Do I still need to take any mcat course if I study well with these materials?

No, you don't need to but if you to take one I suggest you take 6 months to study for the MCAT. Do Princeton course for the first three months and then take only their Full lengths. Then, do the self study plan I listed above (basically SN2ed) for three months then take. Otherwise, just don't take a course and do 3 months of SN2'ed. The benefits of taking Princeton's course is that:

1. All AAMC Full lengths are free ($240 value)
2. SO MUCH VERBAL PRACTICE(30 mcat review verbal passages + 40 Cracking the MCAT Practice Exams + 5 TPR practice exams that have verbal + 3 Cracking the MCAT practice exams + 2 MCAT review series exams + free TPRH verbal workbook with 40 passages plus 4 full practice exams + TPRH In Class Compendium with 30 verbal passages for a whopping total of 168 passages or 238 verbal passages if you count the TPR practice exams.)

3. Encouragement to study on a daily basis and free tutoring available from instructors. (Not a huge deal)

So basically TPR course will give you tons of good verbal practice. That added onto EK 101 will get you 339 passages and then if you buy the Verbal Diagnostic from AAMC that'll be 360 not including the AAMC practice exams.

The question is what the pre-med committee provides. Many committees send to AMCAS as part of their package, which can include LORs.

How much do you know about what is provided to AMCAS? You should understand this and it might help your application.
Your wording was that adcoms "know of each college" which is absolutely false. Now you have qualified this statement with "many." I recognize that some committee packets may include this type of information, but that is not what you said.

I don't know about teaching at either company, but I know Kaplan's online content is far superior than that of TPR. Far far far superior by many lightyears.

The advantage of TPR though is that you have different instructors for each topic so you can be a little selective. I didn't think that my g-chem instructor was great and I didn't like the approach my verbal instructor took so I just skipped those lectures. The dudes who taught us ochem and physics were amazing though.

And you know this because you're a current student or recent grad? :rolleyes:

No, but networking amongst Ivies is stronger than most people realize (including me). I attend conferences at multiple Ivies a year, and every single Brown student I've met (n>100) has said this is true. Science courses are vastly different: orgo especially is known to be arbitrarily tough because that's how the professors operate.

So unless you attend(ed) Brown, you are not in a better position to argue for this than I am.

Last edited:
No, but networking amongst Ivies is stronger than most people realize (including me). I attend conferences at multiple Ivies a year, and every single Brown student I've met (n>100) has said this is true. Science courses are vastly different: orgo especially is known to be arbitrarily tough because that's how the professors operate.

So unless you attend(ed) Brown, you are not in a better position to argue for this than I am.

1. n > 100? Okay.
2. Unless you have information on which non-science classes each of these people were referring to (public health? theatre? econ?), which science classes they're comparing them to, their background level of knowledge, previous classes taken, high school rigor, etc. etc. then you are not in a better position to argue for this than I am.
3. If you didn't actually go to Brown and take classes there then your opinions on this are nothing more than conjecture. If you'd qualified your statement as "I hear it is indeed easy ..." rather than passing off your anecdotally supported assumption as fact then I would have taken less issue with this. That's all.

1. n > 100? Okay.
2. Unless you have information on which non-science classes each of these people were referring to (public health? theatre? econ?), which science classes they're comparing them to, their background level of knowledge, previous classes taken, high school rigor, etc. etc. then you are not in a better position to argue for this than I am.
3. If you didn't actually go to Brown and take classes there then your opinions on this are nothing more than conjecture. If you'd qualified your statement as "I hear it is indeed easy ..." rather than passing off your anecdotally supported assumption as fact then I would have taken less issue with this. That's all.

And your skepticism is based on absolutely nothing. Nothing. You have nothing. Anecdotal information is better than no information, so no, we are not in the same positions to argue for this.

No, you don't need to but if you to take one I suggest you take 6 months to study for the MCAT. Do Princeton course for the first three months and then take only their Full lengths. Then, do the self study plan I listed above (basically SN2ed) for three months then take. Otherwise, just don't take a course and do 3 months of SN2'ed. The benefits of taking Princeton's course is that:

1. All AAMC Full lengths are free ($240 value)
2. SO MUCH VERBAL PRACTICE(30 mcat review verbal passages + 40 Cracking the MCAT Practice Exams + 5 TPR practice exams that have verbal + 3 Cracking the MCAT practice exams + 2 MCAT review series exams + free TPRH verbal workbook with 40 passages plus 4 full practice exams + TPRH In Class Compendium with 30 verbal passages for a whopping total of 168 passages or 238 verbal passages if you count the TPR practice exams.)

3. Encouragement to study on a daily basis and free tutoring available from instructors. (Not a huge deal)

So basically TPR course will give you tons of good verbal practice. That added onto EK 101 will get you 339 passages and then if you buy the Verbal Diagnostic from AAMC that'll be 360 not including the AAMC practice exams.

I think that I will self study. It seems that the benefit of taking Mcat course is just the access to tons of practice exams and tests. After you mentioned about the SDN schedule,I looked it online, and it was wonderful. It did mention using Berkerey review in combination with examkrackers 1001. Did you use the sdn schedule? How helpful do you think it is? Once again,thanks for your help.

And your skepticism is based on absolutely nothing. Nothing. You have nothing. Anecdotal information is better than no information, so no, we are not in the same positions to argue for this.

Trust me, kid, I've got more than you. Let's just leave it at that.

Hkq3c.gif

Lol and inyecpoo was telling me not be cocky/arrogant. Kid brags about going to an Ivy in every thread and only got a 36 on the MCAT LOL...sad, really.

Not to offend/defend either of you, but a 36 on the MCAT is respectable no matter where you come from. It's a top-tier score, 97th+ percentile according to 2012 statistics.

Lol and inyecpoo was telling me not be cocky/arrogant. Kid brags about going to an Ivy in every thread and only got a 36 on the MCAT LOL...sad, really.

The tone of your posts on these forums exhibit the same level of, if not more than, perceived arrogance that mine do. And judging by the responses of those in the 8/16 thread, I am not alone. So don't go around parading as if you're some saint. Please.

If you look more carefully through my posts, which I understand may be a difficult task for you given your demonstrated ineptitude in reasoning skills, you'll realize that I have said I consider myself in the bottom half amongst my peers at school. I, along with other notable HYP SDNers like Dbate, are not ashamed to admit that most kids we attend school with are much more capable than we are. I only bring up my Ivy status when it's relevant to the thread/argument/discussion (e.g., admission rates, average MCAT, knowledge of other Ivies' situation, etc.). It provides useful insights to other readers. I challenge you (and anyone else) to find an exception.

As for your pathetic quip about my MCAT score...the average for applicants at my Ivy (oh man, look at me, I'm bragging again!!!1!1!!1!1) is a 35. That makes me average. Which is what I've always considered myself to be at my school.

Not to offend/defend either of you, but a 36 on the MCAT is respectable no matter where you come from. It's a top-tier score, 97th+ percentile according to 2012 statistics.

But it is a score not quite as high as his ego is large, and thus that does not sit properly with him.

Not sure if its cause im a little drunk right now, but I am ****ing loving this!

For what its worth, this girl from my HS who was a ****ing idiot got into brown. She didn't drop out and is non-science major. So i'm siding with inycepoo simply based on my distaste for this one stupid girl.

Also, I've heard that drunk words have wisdom or some ****. Thus, my generalization is correct.

EDIT: damn, why didnt I pre game my MCAT? probably would have done better on PS.

Lol empty bluffs lol dat credibility

See, here's the thing. Even if I now told you I actually went to Brown (and therein lies my credibility), it's so clear that you'd counter with some asinine response like "pics or it didn't happen." You've been called petulant before, I think? I know I'm not the first user to take issue with your comments (though of course you can continue to post whatever you'd like), but since I've finally found the ignore function it seems a shame not to use it :idea:

Last edited:
See, here's the thing. Even if I now told you I actually went to Brown (and therein lies my credibility), it's so clear that you'd counter with some asinine response like "pics or it didn't happen." You've been called petulant before, I think? I know I'm not the first user to take issue with your comments (though of course you can continue to post whatever you'd like), but since I've finally found the ignore function it seems a shame not to use it :idea:

It's ironic that you are chastising me for being a know-it-all (by challenging that I don't know what goes on at Brown), yet you are doing the same thing. If you simply said you went to Brown, I would believe you unless convinced to otherwise. That's how SDN works, no? No one has ever asked me for "pics" to prove that I go to an Ivy. The requests for pics about MCAT scores typically come up when there's some doubt in the person's credibility (onedirection much?). In any case, what would that even mean? I would ask to see your unofficial transcript or something? Are you ****ing kidding me?

You think you know everything (e.g., what I'm going to counter with), but in reality, you don't know jack ****.

But sure, if you go to Brown, you obviously know better than I do. If that's true, then I retract my statements from before. There, ya happy? :rolleyes:

Ok, Brown student here. I've never posted on SDN before but I felt a strong urge to intervene considering the falsities that are being spread around and have no foundation whatsoever.

#1 Brown is not an easy school. I've never heard a single student voice that opinion. You have to put in the work to get an A (like at any other school I'm sure). With that said, the majority of kids at Brown work their butt off (while also playing hard :) ) so yes in some classes, a greater number of students will be getting As. But how is that inflation? Why should you be penalized because you are amongst studious and highly achieving individuals? This is a fair system - no wonder Brown has some of the happiest students around. IMO, this is how education should be - I feel sorry for those who must perform in a much more stressful environment which I feel is not conducive to learning. I loved my experience at this amazing school with professors who care so much about how we are developing as young people.

#2 WTF? 3.8 GPA cutoff for a committee letter from Brown? Where do you get your info? This goes against everything Brown stands for (we have no class rankings or class averages or dean honor rolls). Yes, the premed website highly suggests a GPA of 3.6 I believe and MCAT score above 32. But these are just mentioned as guidelines and surely do not represent an enforced cutoff. In fact, one of my best friends went through the whole application process for the committee letter with a GPA below 3.8 and an MCAT score below 30 and guess what she got into medical school. She was a very accomplished young woman like many other students at brown.

Sorry for the off topic rant, but I couldn't walk away... I refrain from making any comments about other schools since I've obviously never been there and sometimes I wish people would do the same. Of course, GPAs can be an ambiguous measure of intellectual ability, but schools aren't the only variable in the equation. I do think standardized testing are important although they, truthfully, suck.

Anyways, carry on ! Good luck to everyone with their mcats scores !

Ok, Brown student here. I've never posted on SDN before but I felt a strong urge to intervene considering the falsities that are being spread around and have no foundation whatsoever.

#1 Brown is not an easy school. I've never heard a single student voice that opinion. You have to put in the work to get an A (like at any other school I'm sure). With that said, the majority of kids at Brown work their butt off (while also playing hard :) ) so yes in some classes, a greater number of students will be getting As. But how is that inflation? Why should you be penalized because you are amongst studious and highly achieving individuals? This is a fair system - no wonder Brown has some of the happiest students around. IMO, this is how education should be - I feel sorry for those who must perform in a much more stressful environment which I feel is not conducive to learning. I loved my experience at this amazing school with professors who care so much about how we are developing as young people.

1. No one is calling Brown an "easy school." That's a distortion of what we're discussing.
2. No one is saying getting an A does not require work. Again, a distortion.

No one is discrediting Brown's reputation as an institution of higher education. So calm down bro. But thanks for the insights.

In the case of med schools with big feeder universities in close proximity, admissions can be quite familiar with courses and letter writers at those universities For example, there is a general physiology class at my university which is taught by two ruthless professors and has the highest fail rate of any class at our school. Applicants grades in this class are notorious for holding a lot of weight in admissions at our state schools. Also, the head of our pre-med organization is a well respected histology professor and is damn near on the admissions council at our state med schools with regard to his letters. This is definitely a neighborhood thing I guess you could say and aamc provides no such information.

It's ironic that you are chastising me for being a know-it-all (by challenging that I don't know what goes on at Brown), yet you are doing the same thing. If you simply said you went to Brown, I would believe you unless convinced to otherwise. That's how SDN works, no? No one has ever asked me for "pics" to prove that I go to an Ivy. The requests for pics about MCAT scores typically come up when there's some doubt in the person's credibility (onedirection much?). In any case, what would that even mean? I would ask to see your unofficial transcript or something? Are you ****ing kidding me?

You think you know everything (e.g., what I'm going to counter with), but in reality, you don't know jack ****.

But sure, if you go to Brown, you obviously know better than I do. If that's true, then I retract my statements from before. There, ya happy? :rolleyes:

I don't know if you were the victim of excessive bullying or if you are so insecure that you are forced to spend your time on the internet bashing people on mcat forums, but you seriously need to find another hobby. As intelligent of a person as you sound, you do complete justice to the stereotypical image of the complete douchebag ******* doctor(to be maybe) and I would not want to receive treatment from such an emotional child as yourself. Grow up and stop blasting people on SDN with these immature and unnecessary posts. It is doing no one any good, yourself included.

Don't see why the word Ivy is thrown around so much when there is just a good number of schools in the same top tier. I mean, look at Stanford, WashU (especially for premeds) and others. Meh, just a thought.

I don't know if you were the victim of excessive bullying or if you are so insecure that you are forced to spend your time on the internet bashing people on mcat forums, but you seriously need to find another hobby. As intelligent of a person as you sound, you do complete justice to the stereotypical image of the complete douchebag ******* doctor(to be maybe) and I would not want to receive treatment from such an emotional child as yourself. Grow up and stop blasting people on SDN with these immature and unnecessary posts. It is doing no one any good, yourself included.

lol

i don't know if you were the victim of excessive bullying or if you are so insecure that you are forced to spend your time on the internet bashing people on mcat forums, but you seriously need to find another hobby. As intelligent of a person as you sound, you do complete justice to the stereotypical image of the complete douchebag ******* doctor(to be maybe) and i would not want to receive treatment from such an emotional child as yourself. Grow up and stop blasting people on sdn with these immature and unnecessary posts. It is doing no one any good, yourself included.

-(-1) = +1

Oh ivy league. I always forget how much weight our degrees carry in places that don't matter, like anonymous arguments online. All going to Columbia, SUNY Ithica, Jail, UPenis, Brownstain, Haaahvaad, or Princetoenail means is that you worked hard during high school and got lucky. We pay a lot of money to continue to work hard (or else) and be taught by people with Noble Prizes and lucrative labs who are, for the most part, too apathetic to bother to learn how to teach. Our sports teams suck and you all probably had a much more fun time. Now that I bombed premed and am at another 4-year university doing post bacc, I at least know of one place where the classes are easier. That's not always a bad thing.

Everyone just just needs to chill out, get off SDN, and work on their personal statements and interview person to make sure it they are nothing like how they portray themselves online.