the official COMAT shelf thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I supposed that isnt a good sign considering my low score.
I was predicted at a 94 and I got way lower than that. Not saying that will happen to you, but just be aware of that. OME saved my ass on many questions, I would start there at least for your weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad.

I was predicted at a 94 and I got way lower than that. Not saying that will happen to you, but just be aware of that. OME saved my ass on many questions, I would start there at least for your weaknesses.
yeah I think i am planning to memorize the charts they give. if I can get CS and L5 sacrum questions right I Think Ill be ok

whelp I finished the COMQUEST questions for the omm comat I take Friday. predicted at 99 which is my lowest ever. Im a little nervous about passing. Most of my mistakes were pelvic counterstrain though, so hopefully I can pound that and be ok.

I've heard awful rumors that one form of the exam has a ton of cranial on it.
Youll pass it. No one cares about OMM so the curve will be good. Remember its really really really really hard to straight up fail a comat dude

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Youll pass it. No one cares about OMM so the curve will be good. Remember its really really really really hard to straight up fail a comat dude
yeah youre right. only need to be 3rd percentile or higher. should be able to at least do that.

This is the worst part of being a DO lol. OMM just becomes more and more of a hassle, I'm 100% not taking level 3 unless I have too

Reactions: 4 users
Scared for OB comat tomorrow. I am scoring the worst than on any of the other comats on comquest. These questions are a **** show

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone taken the EM COMAT? I take it next Friday and I really want to honor it but I’ve heard it’s one of the harder ones. I’ve been doing UWorld and Anki.

Has anyone taken the EM COMAT? I take it next Friday and I really want to honor it but I’ve heard it’s one of the harder ones. I’ve been doing UWorld and Anki.
Someone on here a while back said they really struggled with the timing of it

just took OB comat. INSANE. wtf was that even. NBOME has to do a better job with these questions like i did 800 practice questions and i guessed on 3/4 of that exam

Reactions: 2 users
whelp I finished the COMQUEST questions for the omm comat I take Friday. predicted at 99 which is my lowest ever. Im a little nervous about passing. Most of my mistakes were pelvic counterstrain though, so hopefully I can pound that and be ok.

I've heard awful rumors that one form of the exam has a ton of cranial on it.
You'll be fine. You'll feel like you failed but you'll pass.

Any last words of encouragement before I take the FM COMAT tomorrow? I literally have no idea what’s gonna be on this test. My practice questions have ranged from diabetes, to preeclampsia, to seizure management, to pediatric developmental milestones, to weird dermatology, to psych, to congenital malformations, to complicated nephrology, to random genetic disorders I sort of remember cramming for step 1 but have completely forgotten about... LMFAO.

How do you even study for this?

I feel like I should just take this and this could be my sub for step 2/level 2. I feel like it literally includes all of medicine. Moreso than the IM COMAT for sure since I didn’t have a bunch of OB and peds on that one.

• Haha
Any last words of encouragement before I take the FM COMAT tomorrow? I literally have no idea what’s gonna be on this test. My practice questions have ranged from diabetes, to preeclampsia, to seizure management, to pediatric developmental milestones, to weird dermatology, to psych, to congenital malformations, to complicated nephrology, to random genetic disorders I sort of remember cramming for step 1 but have completely forgotten about... LMFAO.

How do you even study for this?

I feel like I should just take this and this could be my sub for step 2/level 2. I feel like it literally includes all of medicine. Moreso than the IM COMAT for sure since I didn’t have a bunch of OB and peds on that one.
Yeah FM was so broad! It scared the **** out of me and I felt like garbage studying for it/practice scores were absolute trash and then it ended up being one of my highest comats. Just trust what youve done up to this point and remember how good of a test taker you are (GOAT status 700+ level 1 lol)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah FM was so broad! It scared the **** out of me and I felt like garbage studying for it/practice scores were absolute trash and then it ended up being one of my highest comats. Just trust what youve done up to this point and remember how good of a test taker you are (GOAT status 700+ level 1 lol)
That’s true. The test taking might be the only thing that saves my bacon on this one!

Members don't see this ad :)
so im trying to download dorian solely to memorize IM from OME for my IM sub-Is and I cant download it on my anki app on my phone. Anyone else have issues downloading cheesy dorian V2 or any of the dorians for that matter? I can download other decks but cant download any of the dorian decks

I swear, my least favorite words in the English language are “...what is the best next step?” Especially when they’re paired with at least three ways to diagnose the problem, and diagnosis is what we do next.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I swear, my least favorite words in the English language are “...what is the best next step?” Especially when they’re paired with at least three ways to diagnose the problem, and diagnosis is what we do next.
I had a question yesterday that gave me a patient with vague symptoms and a negative tuberculin test. Guess what they had? The explanation was “negative tuberculin test doesn’t mean **** and some people have real vague symptoms when they have TB.”

• Haha
  • Wow
I had a question yesterday that gave me a patient with vague symptoms and a negative tuberculin test. Guess what they had? The explanation was “negative tuberculin test doesn’t mean **** and some people have real vague symptoms when they have TB.”
NBOME needs to go. STAT

OMM was bleh, but psyched myself out so much that the real thing did not feel to bad in comparison. First COMAT that I've actually used scrap paper for

Can't wait to study for Peds comat during these next 4 weeks of OMM lol def not studying for OMM comat. Anyone who took Peds how did it feel?
I felt really good when taking peds and was convinced I honored. Ended up being my lowest comat lol.
Seems like questions are king for peds, but the questions are brutal

The peds comat highlights everything wrong with comats. Most of the high scores in my class all thought that that one had the most off the wall bat**** questions. You can still do really well ( 115 to 125) but you will feel like garbage walking out of it no matter what. That was my experience and many of my classmates.

The peds comat highlights everything wrong with comats. Most of the high scores in my class all thought that that one had the most off the wall bat**** questions. You can still do really well ( 115 to 125) but you will feel like garbage walking out of it no matter what. That was my experience and many of my classmates.
Agree with this. Felt like crap about it. The questions sucked, and I had been doing generally well on UWorld so felt good going in. Still honored, but barely.

Ya girl locked down a sub-I. Time to make a fool of myself.

• Love
Sorry for so many posts, but...for those of you who reached out directly to programs to see about scheduling rotations, who did you reach out to? The program coordinator?

Sorry for so many posts, but...for those of you who reached out directly to programs to see about scheduling rotations, who did you reach out to? The program coordinator?
Check to see if they have a visiting students page, student clerkship coordinator, or student inquiry email first. If not, then the program coordinator by default.

Yes, the program coordinators or sometimes there is a designated person for visiting students on their websites. I scheduled both of my current Sub-Is that way.

Just got my score back and I passed level 2 ce 5xx. My level 1 was 46x. So you can see I struggled a lot. I’m super grateful to everyone on forum, my school that supported me and my family and friends. I do realize that I could have failed many times (starting from the very first biochemistry exam in my ms1 first semester that I failed and had to bunker down to catch up). Feels good to finally cross the bridge.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
107 on OB comat. Pretty pissed about it 108 is honors. My lowest comat by far I dont know what happened. Did most people get the same comat avg on OB as their other shelves because this is a huge outlier for me

• Care
107 on OB comat. Pretty pissed about it 108 is honors. My lowest comat by far I dont know what happened. Did most people get the same comat avg on OB as their other shelves because this is a huge outlier for me
It was typical for me. I usually score between 106-108.

it’s a tough subject. It’s almost entirely separate from what we’ve learned the past two years, but doesn’t really have any overlap like surg and peds do with general medicine.
You also took it late in the year, so the curve might be a lot harsher. I wouldn’t worry too much.

98 on OMM comat. Oof. Shoutout to comquest for being spot on again.

Just finished the EM COMAT. Definitely felt like the hardest one I've taken this year and was much more uncertain about a lot of questions than previous COMATs. I start OB on Monday then finish third year with critical care. One COMAT and two board exams left and then I believe I'm done with written exams as a medical student.

Just finished the EM COMAT. Definitely felt like the hardest one I've taken this year and was much more uncertain about a lot of questions than previous COMATs. I start OB on Monday then finish third year with critical care. One COMAT and two board exams left and then I believe I'm done with written exams as a medical student.
Content wise, was it more like managing ABCs, toxicology, trauma or was it more like IM stuff? I have one coming up and I still can’t wrap my head around what to expect. In ED we just see bunch of random complaints from headaches to gunshot.
I even have a problem as to how to prepare for it. No good anki deck, uw only has non specific EM questions and I’m kinda lost. I wish it was like a psych or obgyn when you know exactly how to prepare and what to expect.

Content wise, was it more like managing ABCs, toxicology, trauma or was it more like IM stuff? I have one coming up and I still can’t wrap my head around what to expect. In ED we just see bunch of random complaints from headaches to gunshot.
I even have a problem as to how to prepare for it. No good anki deck, uw only has non specific EM questions and I’m kinda lost. I wish it was like a psych or obgyn when you know exactly how to prepare and what to expect.
It was basically a mix of IM, surgery, psych, OB and peds. Mostly what is the next best step, best initial test, best diagnostic test etc. There was a decent amount of trauma and toxicology, some ACLS stuff and then psych was more like how do you handle this acute psych patient rather than diagnosis. I did the EM section of UWorld and then cumulative Anki reviews since there isn't an EM-specific deck.

Mostly what is the next best step, best initial test, best diagnostic test etc.
Yeah this is what made it hard. The ER docs I was with wouldn't get just the "next best thing." They would put in like 5 orders at once for a certain presentation. And all 5 of those orders would be answer choices so it was hard to try and remember medicine by the book instead of what I saw practiced

Yeah this is what made it hard. The ER docs I was with wouldn't get just the "next best thing." They would put in like 5 orders at once for a certain presentation. And all 5 of those orders would be answer choices so it was hard to try and remember medicine by the book instead of what I saw practiced
Exactly! And there were a bunch of vague NBOME-style questions where I felt like I needed more information to answer the question.

It was my highest, but I had that jerk preceptor I talked about earlier who told me I was gonna be an irresponsible doc because I didn’t finish writing his million notes. Whatever else I can say about that guy, he kept pushing large numbers of ACOG Practice Bulletin/Guidelines articles at me, saying “read all these by tomorrow,” and pimping me on them. I hated it and he was a jerk, but all of those were super HY. I feel like I got more than half of the questions right because of those dang articles.

I probably got <200 practice questions done across both uworld and comquest because he left me no time to get those done, so I can’t credit that. I’ll begrudgingly admit that he knew what he was doing.

So, for people who are reading this who need to take it - if you get lost, sign up for the ACOG (free membership as a medical student), and read their most recent versions of their practice guidelines over and over until you know them all well, and you’ll do great.

It was my highest, but I had that jerk preceptor I talked about earlier who told me I was gonna be an irresponsible doc because I didn’t finish writing his million notes. Whatever else I can say about that guy, he kept pushing large numbers of ACOG Practice Bulletin/Guidelines articles at me, saying “read all these by tomorrow,” and pimping me on them. I hated it and he was a jerk, but all of those were super HY. I feel like I got more than half of the questions right because of those dang articles.

I probably got <200 practice questions done across both uworld and comquest because he left me no time to get those done, so I can’t credit that. I’ll begrudgingly admit that he knew what he was doing.

So, for people who are reading this who need to take it - if you get lost, sign up for the ACOG (free membership as a medical student), and read their most recent versions of their practice guidelines over and over until you know them all well, and you’ll do great.
Lol well at least you got to do something. My preceptor was female, and I was barely allowed to see any patient on any given day because most patients didn't want a male in the room. I was able to pass COMAT by doing comquest Qs and self studying using Cheesy dorian.

Lol well at least you got to do something. My preceptor was female, and I was barely allowed to see any patient on any given day because most patients didn't want a male in the room. I was able to pass COMAT by doing comquest Qs and self studying using Cheesy dorian.
There’s something to be said for having time to study!

That guy was such a jerk and so unpleasant to be around that I considered sneaking into the MICU and drinking some condensation out of a heated vent circuit attached to a COVID patient so I could have a super legit COVID exposure and miss two weeks of the rotation.

I was lucky enough to miss a full week with him because of that freak snowstorm that dumped more snow than the area has seen in probably the past 10 years put together. I felt like Mother Nature was looking out for my mental health that week.

• Haha

I thought my IQ was dropping. I straight up got 12 points lower than my avg comat. Still boggles my mind that I studied that freaking hard to come up so short i mean literally listened to Divine 3-4x, OME 2x and Dr HY 2x plus all UW and Comquest. it stings man lol dont even want to think about it

It was basically a mix of IM, surgery, psych, OB and peds. Mostly what is the next best step, best initial test, best diagnostic test etc. There was a decent amount of trauma and toxicology, some ACLS stuff and then psych was more like how do you handle this acute psych patient rather than diagnosis. I did the EM section of UWorld and then cumulative Anki reviews since there isn't an EM-specific deck.
Ugh. We take the EM COMAT as 4th years and I have no idea how I'm going to prepare for it since I don't want to keep doing Anki after step 2.

• Sad
Ugh. We take the EM COMAT as 4th years and I have no idea how I'm going to prepare for it since I don't want to keep doing Anki after step 2.
Realistically all we gotta do is pass it since ERAS will be submited by then and neither of us want EM im pretty sure. Plus simply passing comats isnt hard last time i checked lol. Idk about yall but ill be pretty much checked out hardcore senioritis after september/october

Lmaooo FACTS i am too actually
I’ll add myself to this pile.

I was so good during my second FM rotation about studying and Anki-ing... but I’ve realized I’m really just good at questions and Anki when I’m at least moderately content with life. I absolutely suck at doing those things when I’m miserable, and peds 2 is making me miserable. I really, really hate drool and I hate auscultating through wet onesies... and my preceptor is constantly auscultating over drool and damp things and she doesn’t even clean her stethoscope in between patients. :sick:

I’ll add myself to this pile.

I was so good during my second FM rotation about studying and Anki-ing... but I’ve realized I’m really just good at questions and Anki when I’m at least moderately content with life. I absolutely suck at doing those things when I’m miserable, and peds 2 is making me miserable. I really, really hate drool and I hate auscultating through wet onesies... and my preceptor is constantly auscultating over drool and damp things and she doesn’t even clean her stethoscope in between patients. :sick:
damn your babies wear clothes? Most of my peds patients, parents had them chilling in just a diaper