**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not evident that you've been doing research on SMPs, or you'd understand that your numbers are too high to be spending $50k+ on an academic enhancement program. For the love of all that's holy don't just take on that kind of expense instead of doing the work to figure this out. You can absolutely get exactly the same disappointing results in another app cycle regardless of any SMP enrollment.

You need to find out what's wrong with your app. Your perception that you have no red flags isn't borne out by your results. Visit the reapplicant forum for stories that might shed light.

Examples of red flags you should be considering:
1. did one or more of your letter writers throw you under the bus?
2. did your essay get proper review, or is it full of typos, grammar errors, immaturity, etc.?
3. did you pick smart schools by doing research to see if you are eligible and competitive? (Note that "research" doesn't mean browsing and clicking on things until you get bored.)
4. did your essay and your ECs show that you are med school material, or do you lack a clear motivation to pursue medicine, or lack exposure to the US healthcare system, or lack experience in the world?
5. are you leaving out a huge big fat piece of information such as that you're not a US citizen, or that you have a criminal record, or that you're hyper-religious etc.?

(This is where some people choose to get all butthurt and decide the info they need is "threatening" or "hostile" or "not helpful". BS. Read it again. Sack up.)

The good news is that you're asking with plenty of time before you need to reapply. Take charge.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad.

applied to masters programs this year but didn't get in so I plan to retake 2 classes and take 2 new classes as a do it my own post bacc spring semester but this will only raise my Gpa by about .1-.2 and my Gpa is around a 3.0. Will this be okay or do you look at a master's program differently and is it recommended?
Also if I took anatomy twice , one without lab(c-) and one with lab (c+) should I take it again at a CC with the goal of getting an A?

Members don't see this ad :)
applied to masters programs this year but didn't get in so I plan to retake 2 classes and take 2 new classes as a do it my own post bacc spring semester but this will only raise my Gpa by about .1-.2 and my Gpa is around a 3.0. Will this be okay or do you look at a master's program differently and is it recommended?
Also if I took anatomy twice , one without lab(c-) and one with lab (c+) should I take it again at a CC with the goal of getting an A?

Well if you do a master's program you will end up taking it again. However, if it's in the post bacc you may want to take it again? Are you considering doing a Master's? If so, which programs?

Well if you do a master's program you will end up taking it again. However, if it's in the post bacc you may want to take it again? Are you considering doing a Master's? If so, which programs?
I'd suggest doing a Master's program. Mainly either Barry University or Tulane program. I, personally, attend the Barry program and have seen the impact that it has on a dental school applicants' application.

Hi friends. I was hoping to get some advice on my situation. I have a 3.2 cumulative GPA and 3.0 BCPM and 25 MCAT. I was advised to do a master's program and I am taking the GRE for it. I hope to retake the MCAT before I start master's in the fall of 2016. Would it be okay to apply to med schools in the summer of 2016 with a decent MCAT score and indicate that I will be doing a master's program for my GPA? I took a break year to do medical scribe work for experience and also to take the two tests. I don't want another break year but my premed advisor states that I must take another break to apply to med school with master's grades. Your thoughts? Is it doable without a break?

Thank you in advance!

My point is, if you go into an SMP now, with no upward grade trend, a <3.0 GPA, a poor MCAT score, and somehow manage to succeed in med school classes, AdCom's are liable to think your recent academic success is an exception to the rule. [/QUOTE]

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. No one "manages to succeed" in med school classes because of a fluke. If you prove yourself in a REAL SMP, AdCom's will take notice. Do you research and pick one that is known to be established and rigorous. But, dont forget the difficulty of these programs makes them a big risk so plan on working your butt off like you never have.

I'd suggest doing a Master's program. Mainly either Barry University or Tulane program. I, personally, attend the Barry program and have seen the impact that it has on a dental school applicants' application.

Im growing ever more suspicious of the Barry program. It seems to me like the admin at Barry is either sending students to post reviews or posting reviews themselves...they had dental students bombard another thread...it was rather awkward and annoying actually.

Reactions: 1 users
How would you rate the Rutgers MBS program starting in spring? I'm on a dental track there.

Any information would be awesome.

I noticed you ended up at Tulane Medical School but did not include the Tulane Postbacs in your list!
I am the Director of the Tulane Master's in Medical Genetics and Genomics program. We do not have linkage to Tulane Medical, but we have a good record of getting students into medical or DO or Dental school. And there are other careers you can do with a Master's in Genetics (Genetic Counseling, Biotech etc). As far as I know we are the only postbac in Medical Genetics.

You can find out more about our program at:
http://tulane.edu/som/hayward-genetics/education-masters-program.cfm

Information about other Master's programs at Tulane can be found at:
http://tulane.edu/som/biomedical-sciences/

Dr. Karen Weissbecker
[email protected]

Hey everyone I am hoping for a little advice on my situation. I didn't plan for pre-med in undergraduate, but I would like to go to med school now.
  • gpa 3.39 combined over two majors, (Bioengineering and Computer Science, bioinformatics minor) CS came later and thus my grades are better in those classes due to an upward trend.
  • BCPM ~ 3.39 goes up to almost 3.5 if CS classes are counted?
  • Two years researching in a molecular biology lab.
  • I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm hoping for something in the 30s

I'm almost in the boat of a career changer in that I really hadn't considered med school until finishing undergrad. To complicate things there are some holes in my pre-requisites such as two quarters of chemistry instead of three, and missing a couple labs that my undergrad program waived in favor of different courses. Do these matter if I ended up in more advanced chemistry and biology classes later?

I am wondering what my best course of action might be? Would an SMP open up better med school options for me?

Hey everyone I am hoping for a little advice on my situation. I didn't plan for pre-med in undergraduate, but I would like to go to med school now.
  • gpa 3.39 combined over two majors, (Bioengineering and Computer Science, bioinformatics minor) CS came later and thus my grades are better in those classes due to an upward trend.
  • BCPM ~ 3.39 goes up to almost 3.5 if CS classes are counted?
  • Two years researching in a molecular biology lab.
  • I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm hoping for something in the 30s

I'm almost in the boat of a career changer in that I really hadn't considered med school until finishing undergrad. To complicate things there are some holes in my pre-requisites such as two quarters of chemistry instead of three, and missing a couple labs that my undergrad program waived in favor of different courses. Do these matter if I ended up in more advanced chemistry and biology classes later?

I am wondering what my best course of action might be? Would an SMP open up better med school options for me?

Whether or not a school will take upper level chem and bio courses instead of pre-reqs depends on the school. Many do, but there certainly are some that don't.

So which pre-reqs have you completed out of Intro Bio, Physics 1 and 2, Gen Chem, Ochem 1 and 2, Biochem and in some cases a psych/soc class?

To make any decision on an SMP you need an MCAT score. Don't get an MCAT score that is what MD students have(511+ ideally), you are wasting time with an SMP. And btw, the scale isnt out of 45 anymore.

If in fact you can hit a competitive MCAT score, your GPA at 3.4/3.4 is on the higher side of things for an SMP(and if you sneak in the CS classes into your science GPA onto your app regardless of what the guidelines are chances are AMCAS will let them stick as such). It's not high enough where there is no justification for doing one, but I think in your case it's a better bet to take some upper level bio courses, especially since you have none on your record. Keep in mind many SMP grads are natural science majors like bio and have at least some exposure to these areas before they get covered in much greater depth in SMPs; I've heard more than one non natural science major tell me they thought they were at somewhat of a disadvantage in an SMP because of this. So my recommendation for now is finish your pre-reqs, take more upper level science courses, try and boost the sGPA to around 3.5-3.6(the higher the better) and focus on the MCAT. A 3.5+/511+ stat combination can certainly be competitive. And in all this while, boost all the EC's you need to, clinical exposure, volunteering etc. This is all doable to do in the next 1.5 years to apply in the Summer of 2017 btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whether or not a school will take upper level chem and bio courses instead of pre-reqs depends on the school. Many do, but there certainly are some that don't.

So which pre-reqs have you completed out of Intro Bio, Physics 1 and 2, Gen Chem, Ochem 1 and 2, Biochem and in some cases a psych/soc class?

To make any decision on an SMP you need an MCAT score. Don't get an MCAT score that is what MD students have(511+ ideally), you are wasting time with an SMP. And btw, the scale isnt out of 45 anymore.

If in fact you can hit a competitive MCAT score, your GPA at 3.4/3.4 is on the higher side of things for an SMP(and if you sneak in the CS classes into your science GPA onto your app regardless of what the guidelines are chances are AMCAS will let them stick as such). It's not high enough where there is no justification for doing one, but I think in your case it's a better bet to take some upper level bio courses, especially since you have none on your record. Keep in mind many SMP grads are natural science majors like bio and have at least some exposure to these areas before they get covered in much greater depth in SMPs; I've heard more than one non natural science major tell me they thought they were at somewhat of a disadvantage in an SMP because of this. So my recommendation for now is finish your pre-reqs, take more upper level science courses, try and boost the sGPA to around 3.5-3.6(the higher the better) and focus on the MCAT. A 3.5+/511+ stat combination can certainly be competitive. And in all this while, boost all the EC's you need to, clinical exposure, volunteering etc. This is all doable to do in the next 1.5 years to apply in the Summer of 2017 btw.

First off thank you for taking the time to reply!

Of the typical pre-reqs I have: 2 of 3 quarters Intro Bio, 2 of 3 quarters Intro Physics, 2 of 3 quarters Ochem, 2 of 3 quarters Biochem, I could probably say 2 soc/psych. I have taken a few upper division classes that I would call upper div bio classes such as Stem Cell Engineering, Molecular Biomechanics, Genetics, Biophysics, but no classic Cell Bio/Eukaryotic Bio though these were considered pre-reqs to some of the above. I would call biology/biochemistry my strong suit.

I took a lot of classes in undergrad, and I think just by the unit volume my gpa isn't going to increase much with a few more As. I worry about devoting a year to improving my app and still falling behind the curve on gpa.

So given what you have mentioned and someone else's post on page 1 of the thread I think these might be my best options:
1. take MCAT in Spring and if I can land a high percentile (say top 5) then go ahead and apply this summer and mention that I will be enrolled in classes / research / clinical this next year.
2. take MCAT in spring get a decently high score, apply to SMPs, then apply to md schools over summer and mention that I am enrolled in an SMP, or retake MCAT and apply 2017
3. get a poor MCAT, go home kick the dog, get an engineering job

Is this naive to think I could apply with my current pre-reqs and a good MCAT? I'm not sure if I would be considered eligible by many programs.

First off thank you for taking the time to reply!

Of the typical pre-reqs I have: 2 of 3 quarters Intro Bio, 2 of 3 quarters Intro Physics, 2 of 3 quarters Ochem, 2 of 3 quarters Biochem, I could probably say 2 soc/psych. I have taken a few upper division classes that I would call upper div bio classes such as Stem Cell Engineering, Molecular Biomechanics, Genetics, Biophysics, but no classic Cell Bio/Eukaryotic Bio though these were considered pre-reqs to some of the above. I would call biology/biochemistry my strong suit.

I took a lot of classes in undergrad, and I think just by the unit volume my gpa isn't going to increase much with a few more As. I worry about devoting a year to improving my app and still falling behind the curve on gpa.

So given what you have mentioned and someone else's post on page 1 of the thread I think these might be my best options:
1. take MCAT in Spring and if I can land a high percentile (say top 5) then go ahead and apply this summer and mention that I will be enrolled in classes / research / clinical this next year.
2. take MCAT in spring get a decently high score, apply to SMPs, then apply to md schools over summer and mention that I am enrolled in an SMP, or retake MCAT and apply 2017
3. get a poor MCAT, go home kick the dog, get an engineering job

Is this naive to think I could apply with my current pre-reqs and a good MCAT? I'm not sure if I would be considered eligible by many programs.

Well you need to finish the pre-reqs. The GPA itself and its volume isn't what I worry about that much, an upward trend is what helps. A year's worth of intensive upper level bio courses that you ace makes a difference in how your application can be evaluated, even if your GPA only goes from like a 3.41 to a 3.49.

As for your plans
Plan 1: You don't want to take the MCAT before you are ready to ace it. Your goal has to be to take it only once, especially with a lower GPA. Many schools will average multiple scores amongst other things. Only plan on taking it once; you are hurting your chances otherwise.

Plan 2: SMP deadlines are honestly around now and the next few months and you need an MCAT for them. So I wouldn't really recommend applying to SMP programs for next cycle. Focus on undergrad classes. Like I said above the plan to apply in 2017 is logical. However if you get a good MCAT score given the high risk of SMPs I would try out an application cycle first before defaulting to one as SMPs are kind of a last resort option.

With a weaker GPA, it's just not a good idea to apply without finishing your pre-reqs. Likewise, you are hurting your MCAT performance without having taken all pre-reqs. Nobody likes having to take gap years and waiting but in your case I think that's what my move would be in your shoes.

And your EC's you also have to focus on for med school; volunteering, clinical experience etc. If I were in your shoes, I would apply in 2017, maximizing your undergrad GPA by taking more upper level and pre-req courses, maximizing your ECs, maximizing your MCAT etc. Then while you are doing this I would apply to SMPs as a backup so if you don't get in you have a plan for the fall of 2018 and have a realistic method of getting in fall of 2019 if you do well in the SMP.

The only way I could see applying next cycle being a possibility is if you take all your pre-reqs in the spring, rush the MCAT and find a way to hit a top score. The problem is by rushing there are loads of risks with this and you risk doing not as well as you would hope which you can't afford. The problem with SMPs is that with so many of them waterd down and now becoming just cash cows, there aren't too many good ones remaining. The worthwhile ones, you need an MCAT Score for and you need to apply within the relatively near future. That just doesn't seem feasible for you to have both done, particularly when your pre-reqs aren't done either.

Well you need to finish the pre-reqs. The GPA itself and its volume isn't what I worry about that much, an upward trend is what helps. A year's worth of intensive upper level bio courses that you ace makes a difference in how your application can be evaluated, even if your GPA only goes from like a 3.41 to a 3.49.

Are most schools really going to worry about missing one quarter of physics if I went on to a biophysics class after, and one quarter of biochem if a molecular mechanics class followed? These are the situations I am wondering about. It seems repetitive to go back and take some general chemistry class after moving well beyond it.

Are most schools really going to worry about missing one quarter of physics if I went on to a biophysics class after, and one quarter of biochem if a molecular mechanics class followed? These are the situations I am wondering about. It seems repetitive to go back and take some general chemistry class after moving well beyond it.

You have to check school by school. Some won't accept AP credit or whatever you used to get out of a pre-req. Some might accept 1 semester of AP credit, not 2. Many won't give a crap but you have to check and more importantly make sure your real comfortable with the info for the MCAT.

Plan 2: SMP deadlines are honestly around now and the next few months and you need an MCAT for them. So I wouldn't really recommend applying to SMP programs for next cycle. Focus on undergrad classes. Like I said above the plan to apply in 2017 is logical. However if you get a good MCAT score given the high risk of SMPs I would try out an application cycle first before defaulting to one as SMPs are kind of a last resort option.

Okay to follow up, I have figured out that I can finish all my pre-requisites between now and this June, and the course load is on the lighter side. I'm on the quarter system so it spreads out evenly. Do you or anybody who reads this know if there is a SMP/MS/MA program that I can apply to between now and June without taking an MCAT that would start next fall?

Also, if my goal is to get into a competitive med school, does a formal program look better to admissions than a DIY post-bacc? (assuming equal grades in both).

Okay to follow up, I have figured out that I can finish all my pre-requisites between now and this June, and the course load is on the lighter side. I'm on the quarter system so it spreads out evenly. Do you or anybody who reads this know if there is a SMP/MS/MA program that I can apply to between now and June without taking an MCAT that would start next fall?

Also, if my goal is to get into a competitive med school, does a formal program look better to admissions than a DIY post-bacc? (assuming equal grades in both).

I think you are kind of missing some of the key points here. You really don't want to rush this whole thing and gotta look at things one step at a time. Here's what I'll leave you to think about.

a) You don't want to go into an SMP program without an MCAT score. With a low uGPA, you need a strong MCAT score to get into an MD school. Getting that score is hard; many can't do it. There are far more people with high GPA's than high MCAT scores. You need to figure out first beforehand if you are able to get a good score on the MCAT(511+) esque. If you can't do this and get a score similar to that, then there is no point doing an SMP. The last thing in the world you want is to do an SMP, spend all that money, work so hard, then after it take the MCAT and realize you still can't hit a competitive score. An SMP won't make up for a low MCAT score. If you can't get this type of MCAT score, stick with focusing on DO's. And for DO's, there's no point in doing an SMP: grade replacement will do the job fine.

b) I'm not sure what you mean by "competitive" medical school but all US MD schools can get you wherever you want and are of high quality. When you have a low GPA, the last thing in the world you should be thinking about is gunning for a big name. Your goal is to get into ANY US MD school, period. Some people who ace SMPs and MCATs get into higher end schools but these are exceptions, not the norm.

c) As for DIY vs formal post-bacc, it is possible you'll get some ADCOMs who prefer a "formal" name. The thing is, every ADCOM will value this differently and every ADCOM will look at different "formal" post-baccs differnetly. Some will think say as an ex Penn's program is great, others might not know much about it. By far and away your biggest goal has to be to do well in any post-bacc work, whether that's at a formal post-bacc program or your local University. IMO, it is far easier to do well at a local state U than a formal post-bacc which will be full of competitive gunners in a similar spot as you. At a local State U, you will be competing with lots of young, immature pre-meds, many of whom won't even stay pre-med after the course. I think it's pretty obvious which one the competition is easier, so that is where I would tend to lean towards. But that's just my perspective. The bottom line here is do whatever you can, go wherever you need to, to do very well in the courses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, I posted a new thread for this as well but figured I would ask this here also :) Post below!

Hey guys! I'm a senior graduating in May and i'm going to keep this short..

Basically I started off my undergrad at a state school and started off there decent (A's and B's). During my second year my dad had major heart surgery, lost his job, and went through depression (he's the only person in our household who works) and it really affected our family -- and my grades. I did terribly for 2 semesters and transferred to a community college before I finally moved home because it had been almost two years and he was still unemployed. I took a semester off and worked and now I am back in school (luckily my dad found a job as well) and have an amazing GPA (3.8) with all upper level science classes with a semester left. However, if I combine it with my first couple years its at a 2.5...

So I know for sure I won't get into dental school right off the bat because of my cumulative GPA. I have been working all throughout school and shadowing and will have some research experience next semester as well. Also, I'm taking the GRE this week and the DAT next semester as well. I am going to be applying to SMP programs (Rutgers, Barry University, etc) but I was curious if anyone could give me an idea on what chances I have getting in? I have been taking practice GRE tests and scoring in the high 150's - low 160's so I'm assuming that is what I'll make. I know I'll have excellent recommendations and graduate with a great GPA at my transfer school but not an overall one.

Also, should I include all the personal family problems I experienced in my statement of purpose or application essays? And lastly, I'm unsure on whether I should apply after next semester is over or earlier (since apps are rolling) because I know applications are due at the end of summer and I"ll have my final semester grades in by then which will put another semester of A's (hopefully) on my transcript. Just a little confused on the timing of when I should apply and if I even have a good chance in getting in..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello all,

I have 3.3 Cumulative GPA, 3.1 Science GPA, 513 MCAT (14PS, 13Bio, 10P/S, 8VR),

Bioengineering and chemistry major

Strong research (Publication)
Weak clinical experience and volunteering

Which SMP program would be best for me?

I would really appreciate your advice.

Thank you

Hello all,

I have 3.3 Cumulative GPA, 3.1 Science GPA, 513 MCAT (14PS, 13Bio, 10P/S, 8VR),

Bioengineering and chemistry major

Strong research (Publication)
Weak clinical experience and volunteering

Which SMP program would be best for me?

I would really appreciate your advice.

Thank you

Boost the clinical experience and volunteering otherwise even if you do well in an SMP it still wont really matter for you, schools will still be hesitant to accept you.

The big 3 of SMPs these days tend to be Cincinnati, Tufts and Georgetown(in that order IMO). Your stats can be competitive for all of them. Boston U might also be worth a look. The unofficial "linkage" of alot of other programs like Rosalind, Toledo and Eastern Virginia has gone down a good bit in recent years. The only one really I would even consider at this moment is Rosalind given the changes going on at Toledo and EVMS.

Get your apps together and hit submit as soon as possible. If you apply to G'town, Tufts, Cincinnati and one or two other solid programs, I think you have a fair shot at landing an acceptance.

Add Loyola MAMS. Long standing reputation of getting folks into med school.

Are there any official numbers out there that Loyola has published such as %of their grads that go on to US MD schools? Ive never been able to find any and I've never been able to get a solid rough idea either of how well their grads do exactly. Even for programs like Georgetown, I have a pretty solid idea of how many of their grads go to US MD programs even if they dont openly publish it.

The reason I ask is because as far as I know Loyola doesnt have you taking classes directly with MS1s and being graded against their median(maybe things have changed recently and I'm mistaken). That's part of my hesitation about them; I've always "heard" per se about them having a good reputation but I havent seen any reputable stats showing this and the fact that you arent directly taking classes with MS1's kind of adds to my skepticism.

@GrapesofRath
@DrMidlife

Thank you so much for the advice

May I ask you one more question?

Assuming I get an acceptance from at least one place, what would be the best way to prepare the remaining ~6 months? and which one should have the priority?

For instance, I can think of

1) Clinical volunteering
2) Prepare for courses in advance (such as anatomy, immunology, etc after researching what courses are ahead of me)
3) Take MCAT again (I believe I can increase Psy/Socio section by ~3 points and Verbal by ~1 point)
4) Others

Thank you

Sincerely,

Prepping for med school courses before med school is largely useless. Retaking a 513 isnt something I would advise either. Boost the clinical experience like I said above; not having clinical experience isnt going to suddenly not be a problem anymore even after an SMP. Dont create more obstacles for yourself; knock out relatively straight forward de facto requirements like getting clinical experience and volunteering before an SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't study ahead.
Don't retake the MCAT.
Do clinical volunteering until you have a license and can get paid.
If you're not in good physical shape, work on nutrition and fitness.
Don't do anything really stupid like get a DUI.

I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this but I would appreciate some feedback. I was interviewed at my home state med school and won't hear back for a month but I am trying to come up with a back-up plan in case of rejection. I graduated in May with a BS in Biology from a large state school. My gpa is 3.55 bcpm 3.50. My first MCAT was 27 and my second was 507. Last semester I took an EMT basic course which I aced. I got 48 hours of patient experience from that course and I have a little less than 3o additional hours from shadowing/ volunteering. I have substantial research experience (4 years, now working as research tech at a cancer institute). I know my stats are borderline but would a SMP be something to consider? I am looking at Georgetown or Tufts (I am not necessarily interested in strong linkage). Or would I be better off taking an MCAT prep course to improve my MCAT score (not considering the substantial cost difference). I understand that there are a lot of factors to consider and no one can make the decision for me, but if anyone has an opinion I would welcome it!

My first MCAT was 27 and my second was 507.

This is causing you more problems than your GPA.

Three simple options here for you to consider from here

1) Apply to DO schools. Your stats are competitive for pretty much of any of them. Apply broadly, youll likely get acceptances.

2) If you feel you can do significantly better on an MCAT retake it might be worth one last stab. But youve already used up two attempts and have two sub 30 equivalent scores. 3 MCAT scores is alot and is at the point where your number of attempts can start to potentially become an independent variable that isnt positive for you and you have to overcome. If you feel really strongly you can improve significantly on a retake(514+) then yes consider it. But I really wouldnt do it otherwise. Dont make your MCAT track record any worse than it is; even a small improvement on a 3rd attempt isnt going to help your case.

3) Your GPA is too high on the surface for a 50k/year SMP program. The average UG GPA's for SMP programs, even the top SMPs is in the 3.2-3.3/3.1-3.2 range for cGPA and sGPA respectively. Having said that, depending on a) How risk averse you are b) how confident you are in being able to consistently beat out MS1 class medians in med school classes with MS1s c) How much you are gunning for the MD there might be some SMP programs worth some consideration. I dont think a program like G'town or Cincy is the right one for you. And also note "unofficial" linkage has gone way down at many programs and many SMPs have gone through many changes. So you really are gambling here. But there are still programs like Rosalind Franklin where about half of their grads will end up at Rosalind's MD program. The average Rosalind BMS matriculant has a 3.2/27. Your at 3.5/28. If you feel really strongly in your abilities that you can finish in roughly the top 55 students out of an entering class 120-130 Rosalind SMPers an SMP might be the route to consider for you. Again, though not only are these programs risky because of how rigorous they are and the ramifications of doing poorly mean your chances are sunk permanently, they are risky because the number of people SMP programs take each year to their MD program fluctuates and has been going down. You have no idea how many SMPers Rosalind will take into their MD class the year you do it if you do end up at the program. It might be 60. It could even be 30. Toledo recently saw the number of SMP grads they took into their MD program go down from 44 in 2014 to 10 last year. It's a real risk with nothing close to a guarantee of paying off even if you perform well.

While we are on the topic of SMPs your GPA is high enough that if you had a 1400 SAT score in high school it worthwhile to throw an app to Temples ACMS program which is the holy grail of SMPs. But with its 3% acceptance rate its nothing more than a hail mary. Likewise, if you get a waitlist out of that interview you have, your eligible to apply to Tulane's Anatomy SMP program which is the next best SMP out there.

Those are the 3 routes you have to consider. At the end of the day realize even if you do partake in 2) or 3) and they go fairly well you still might end up having to go the DO route after all, that's just the way things are now days.

Last edited:
Thank you GrapesofRath for your detailed answer. You make a lot of great points and I agree my MCAT score is the biggest hurdle right now. I will definitely apply to DO schools next round and look into the SMPs you mentioned. I need to weigh the cost benefit of both options (doing an SMP or retaking the MCAT) and your analysis helps put it in perspective.

Need some advice if anyone can help. Stats right now are: 3.62 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 510 MCAT. Doesn't look like I'm getting into any schools this year unfortunately. I think my weakest point is clinical experience/volunteering. I'm not really sure what to do. Right now, I'm thinking SMP just because it'll give me a more assured chance at a medical school acceptance for the next cycle. I'd like to strengthen my clinical experience by doing something like working as a scribe for a year, but I feel like that's riskier? Also, if I work as a scribe for the next year starting this summer, will that really impact my application if I apply in the summer?

Thanks for whatever advice you guys can give me!!

Need some advice if anyone can help. Stats right now are: 3.62 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 510 MCAT. Doesn't look like I'm getting into any schools this year unfortunately. I think my weakest point is clinical experience/volunteering. I'm not really sure what to do. Right now, I'm thinking SMP just because it'll give me a more assured chance at a medical school acceptance for the next cycle. I'd like to strengthen my clinical experience by doing something like working as a scribe for a year, but I feel like that's riskier? Also, if I work as a scribe for the next year starting this summer, will that really impact my application if I apply in the summer?

Thanks for whatever advice you guys can give me!!

An SMP is not going to eliminate concerns schools might have about a lack of clinical experience.

Need more information though to tell you what the best step from here is. Most importantly
a) Where all did you apply and when were you complete
b) state of residence
c) other relevant ECs
d) recent grade trend the past few semesters
e) is that your only MCAT score?

On the surface though your GPA is pretty high to be considering the risk of an SMP. Of course there is more to it than that, hence why I asked those questions

Hi guys!

I have a cgpa of 3.64 and a sgpa of 3.44 right now, I'm prepping for an April mcat hoping to score 510+

Do you think it's necessary for me to pursue a SMP based on my gpas? They both exhibit an upward trend BTW and I could potentially take a few more classes to boost the sgpa to a 3.5 range if it makes a difference to Adcoms

Thanks!

Hi everybody,

I have recently been accepted to both BU MAMS and Tufts MBS program and am having a hard time deciding between the two. Percentage and numbers are telling me Tufts, but their overall reputation and my gut is telling me BU.

3.4ogpa, 3.3sgpa and 500 on MCAT. I have plenty of clinical experience, but no research.
Any information or advice would be helpful about these two programs or other programs I may have missed.

Last edited:
Hi there all! I'm a graduate of 2015 with 3.2 overall, 2.8 sGPA, and 35 MCAT (roughly converted to 510). 2 re-takes and Cs in Math and Chem. 2 years of working on a 9-11 ambulance during college. I've spent my gap year travelling, working, volunteering, and am currently doing research.

From what I've read on post-bac programs, I think SDN peeps would recommend me to do a formal academic enhancing route. But I recently talked about this with a long-time mentor of mine, and she kind of blew up at me, saying I'm being far too wishy washy and that I should go all or nothing with an SMP. I don't have a great academic track record and actually found out I have ADD, but I have realized that scholarship is diligence and hard effort. I'm willing to throw out social life and distractions to become a physician, and the friends and family I have would support me in that decision. So cards on the table, does an SMP make logical sense?

(side note: just glad to get this off my chest)

Hi there all! I'm a graduate of 2015 with 3.2 overall, 2.8 sGPA, and 35 MCAT (roughly converted to 510). 2 re-takes and Cs in Math and Chem. 2 years of working on a 9-11 ambulance during college. I've spent my gap year travelling, working, volunteering, and am currently doing research.

From what I've read on post-bac programs, I think SDN peeps would recommend me to do a formal academic enhancing route. But I recently talked about this with a long-time mentor of mine, and she kind of blew up at me, saying I'm being far too wishy washy and that I should go all or nothing with an SMP. I don't have a great academic track record and actually found out I have ADD, but I have realized that scholarship is diligence and hard effort. I'm willing to throw out social life and distractions to become a physician, and the friends and family I have would support me in that decision. So cards on the table, does an SMP make logical sense?

(side note: just glad to get this off my chest)

To the bold: do you have a 510 or a 35? There is a big difference; a 35 on the new scale is a 517 not a 510. A 510 on the old scale is a 31 not a 35.

The advise your advisor gave is dangerously flawed at many levels. You dont play russian roulet with your future; following the "go big or go home" big talk works fine at Vegas black jack tables. For your career and future though? It's about the worst thing you could do for yourself.

Aside from that, what you need to do is first calculate your GPA by MD standards. With the retakes, I bet it's a little lower since MD schools average the retake grades and old ones. So what you have then is a situation where you are likely looking at a lower sGPA. I dont particularly recommend doing an SMP with such a low sGPA.

a) You havent shown an ability to master undergrad level classes. You dont just flip a switch and decide Im going to ramp up my efforts and thatll be enough for an SMP which is 5X he workload of undergrad. You develop good study habbits and see yourself have success at the UG level first, then think about an SMP. You dont skip steps. That's another way you can see how wrong your advisor is.

b) And here's the other thing many good SMP programs(the only ones worth doing now days) will take a pass on someone with a 2.7 sGPA. You're too risky right now for them. And even if one of them takes you on, they arent necessairly doing you any favors. Many many MD schools screen either officially or unofficially for GPAs under 3.0. It would be horrible to do an SMP, do well in one, invest all that time and money in one, only to find out it wont matter because your app is just going to be screened out at many places.

So the key point here is you cant skip steps. The road to medical school is going to be a multi year journey. You have alot of things to figure out. You arent ready yet for some "all or nothing" type gamble; the advice you got borders on childish and shows a complete lack of perspective. What you will need to do to start your road to med school plan is to start taking some science classes. Get your butt in a classroom. Take upper level science courses and see how many credits you need of A's to get your sGPA to a 3.0(or at least very close to it). You're looking at a couple semesters of doing this. Then, if you can ace these science classes, then and only then you can start thinking about SMPs.

@GrapesofRath

Thanks for telling me, I did double-check and you're right my old 35 is a converted 517. Also, my listed GPAs are calculated using the AAMC standard for re-takes. I definitely understand the need to take my time and really prepare myself for the challenges of medical school. I'm glad to get that affirmation; my mentor really surprised me with that outburst, so I got kind of shaken up.

In terms of getting back into the classroom, are you suggesting something like community college? A second degree? Or an academic enhancing post-bacc that has me retaking the pre-reqs and some upper divisions?

Any opinion on Loyola MSMP? On the surface it seems to be more competitive to get into than MAMS and seems to be more of an SMP while MAMS is a master's program, am I missing something?

Also, since this seems to be a thread of people asking for advice, I'll ask for some too:
I applied to medical school this cycle without realizing just how non-competitive I was. I have a 3.4 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA and a 509 MCAT and I worked a lot early in undergrad until I eventually quit and my cGPA/sGPA was a 3.7 the year I didn't work. Now I am doing a 1700hr AmeriCorps position in a free clinic while finishing up undergrad, I did other volunteering/shadowing/research stuff in undergrad too but nothing too notable. I was looking at SMPs but was concerned about the likelihood of getting into medical school even if I did well in an SMP because of my sGPA(many seem to guarantee interviews but I feel I would be immediately rejected because of the undergrad sGPA, or a 124 in p/s section on the MCAT). Also, I am beginning to find that I don't qualify for many of these programs (Temple, Tufts come to mind) because I got AP credit for all my intro sciences(bio, chem, physics) and my undergrad won't let me retake those classes for a grade or credit.

So should I:
1) Do an SMP and reapply to medical school before starting the SMP
2) Do an SMP and reapply medical school after a year
3) take more upper-level science courses at my undergrad to fix my sGPA (have 54 science credits currently, only one C to retake for DO schools)
4) try and take intro science courses at another undergrad that will allow me to and then reapply to medical school the year after
5) Any other suggestions

Also, any advice on the MCAT would be appreciated too, I am hoping I won't need to retake it.

Hi guys I am in need of some help
I was looking into some of the Special Masters Program and one of the things i noticed that what is the Sgpa, Cgpa and mcat score is it that is being required.
Also in a few the numbers were missing like what percentage of students got accepted during the year that they were in the program.
the physiology SMP program in Cincinnati boasted a 100 percent acceptance into either an MD or dental school for the students that enrolled in their program.
correct me guys if i am wrong in any of this and thankyou for anyone's help in advance

Any opinion on Loyola MSMP? On the surface it seems to be more competitive to get into than MAMS and seems to be more of an SMP while MAMS is a master's program, am I missing something?

Also, since this seems to be a thread of people asking for advice, I'll ask for some too:
I applied to medical school this cycle without realizing just how non-competitive I was. I have a 3.4 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA and a 509 MCAT and I worked a lot early in undergrad until I eventually quit and my cGPA/sGPA was a 3.7 the year I didn't work. Now I am doing a 1700hr AmeriCorps position in a free clinic while finishing up undergrad, I did other volunteering/shadowing/research stuff in undergrad too but nothing too notable. I was looking at SMPs but was concerned about the likelihood of getting into medical school even if I did well in an SMP because of my sGPA(many seem to guarantee interviews but I feel I would be immediately rejected because of the undergrad sGPA, or a 124 in p/s section on the MCAT). Also, I am beginning to find that I don't qualify for many of these programs (Temple, Tufts come to mind) because I got AP credit for all my intro sciences(bio, chem, physics) and my undergrad won't let me retake those classes for a grade or credit.

So should I:
1) Do an SMP and reapply to medical school before starting the SMP
2) Do an SMP and reapply medical school after a year
3) take more upper-level science courses at my undergrad to fix my sGPA (have 54 science credits currently, only one C to retake for DO schools)
4) try and take intro science courses at another undergrad that will allow me to and then reapply to medical school the year after
5) Any other suggestions

Also, any advice on the MCAT would be appreciated too, I am hoping I won't need to retake it.

That science gpa is a killer. I think you would benefit from an SMP. Loyola has a good program, but to my knowledge you do not take classes with medical students (rather you take medical school classes with masters students...correct me if I am wrong, though). With your upward trend and cGPA, you could apply during your SMP year; however, you will be much more competitive if you wait a year. Generally speaking, if the only thing holding you back is your GPA, AND you have an upward trend, then applying during your SMP will be worthwhile, and one semester of grades may get you over the hump. So, I think option 1 would be good for you (and obviously apply after your SMP if you are unsuccessful).

Retaking science courses doesn't seem worth it unless you are going to be able to take about 50 more credit hours and ace out. This would take at least 2 years, but it would probably be much cheaper than an SMP. If you could get your sgpa to a 3.5, and your cgpa would shoot up to 3.6ish, then you would be very competitive. This would take several years, whereas a one year SMP would establish the same credentials (but with a much greater risk).

Hi guys I am in need of some help
I was looking into some of the Special Masters Program and one of the things i noticed that what is the Sgpa, Cgpa and mcat score is it that is being required.
Also in a few the numbers were missing like what percentage of students got accepted during the year that they were in the program.
the physiology SMP program in Cincinnati boasted a 100 percent acceptance into either an MD or dental school for the students that enrolled in their program.
correct me guys if i am wrong in any of this and thankyou for anyone's help in advance

Cincinnati's program lists its acceptance rates here: https://med.uc.edu/msinphysiology/program-benefits/success-rates-and-comparisons

Not quite 100%, but the program does very well.

Hey all,

I have a 3.4 sGPA and a 512 MCAT (Bio: 130 CARS: 126 Physical Sciences: 130 Psych/Soc: 126).
Good clinical exp
1 Year Undergrad Research
Lots of homeless outreach

I was wondering if I should or should not apply to an SMP?

Hi guys,

First of all, this thread is awesome and thank you for great responses you guys are giving.

I am trying to apply to SMP this year, but the problem is that I am taking my MCAT on April. I have a cGPa of 3.2 and sGPA of 3.3 and I was wondering would all the top programs be all filled by the time I get my MCAT score.

Hi guys,

First of all, this thread is awesome and thank you for great responses you guys are giving.

I am trying to apply to SMP this year, but the problem is that I am taking my MCAT on April. I have a cGPa of 3.2 and sGPA of 3.3 and I was wondering would all the top programs be all filled by the time I get my MCAT score.

Not necessarily...

As long as you have your scores by the middle of May (which you should), you will be eligible for many of the top SMP's. Applying so late will put you at a disadvantage, but if your application is good then you will have a good shot. So, if you do well on the MCAT and you have decent ECs, then you should be fine. In fact, several students in my class sent in their application in the week leading up to the deadline.

Hey all,

I have a 3.4 sGPA and a 512 MCAT (Bio: 130 CARS: 126 Physical Sciences: 130 Psych/Soc: 126).
Good clinical exp
1 Year Undergrad Research
Lots of homeless outreach

I was wondering if I should or should not apply to an SMP?

I would suggest considering an SMP with those stats if you want to go MD. LizzyM of 65 isn't really competitive for MD schools, but a good performance in an SMP could really help that 3.4 sgpa.

Hey guys !

I applied to 20 or so DO schools and have still not received any interviews, so I am planning for next cycle

For my DO stats I have a 3.2 sGPA, 3.3 cgpa from UCLA and a 30 MCAT (10/10/10)
I have numerous hours of research and volunteering. My shadowing experience is relatively limited. I do have a relationship with a DO/LOR even though I have not formally shadowed him

My instinct is to apply to a master's program through the UC Consortium as well as a handful of the MS/MA programs that can be found in this link: https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2016_post-bacc-programs.pdf?sfvrsn=4

It seems to me that a formal MA/MS may provide me with better chances for the upcoming cycle; however, I want to make sure I am not being naive in this respect as I understand that costs are heavy for these programs

I am looking for advice in this matter, as I am thinking that perhaps utilizing DO grade replacement rather than a MA/MS may be the right option for me.

Also, I have yet to do research regarding which MA/MS programs are most reputable

I am also open to any advice regarding options other than/including these in preparation for the 2017 AACOMAS cycle

being _enrolled_ in a program isn't going to get you much farther. you'd need to _complete_ a program before reapplying. so my first question for you is do you see how you aren't ready to reapply this coming summer?

see the reapplicant forum to learn about common mistakes and whether you made them. such as applying late. such as not getting grownup unfriendly review of your essays. such as not getting a DO letter.

meanwhile this forum is a substantially better source of info than the lists put out by aamc and aacom. spend some hours reading. that will get you much better info than individual responses to your questions.

best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users