The Official January 10, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jhakaasmaan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting here and I thought I would go ahead a make a thread for those writing on this test date.

115 days out!

Members don't see this ad.

Joining this thread.
Starting late but plan on mixing content review with quiz/passages to make a 2month plan.

Biggest concern is giving myself enough time to study for the FLs.

Where are you guys in your studying?

Joining this thread.
Starting late but plan on mixing content review with quiz/passages to make a 2month plan.

Biggest concern is giving myself enough time to study for the FLs.

Where are you guys in your studying?

Beginning SAs today, gonna mix 1 FL per week in with SAs over the next 6 weeks and review every question from each SA and FL. Also trying to do 1-2 verbal passages daily.

Beginning SAs today, gonna mix 1 FL per week in with SAs over the next 6 weeks and review every question from each SA and FL. Also trying to do 1-2 verbal passages daily.

What are SA's?

Considering I have 2months left, I'm planning to use the entire month of December on FL exams and EK quizzes and the time from now to December on content + quizzes..

What would you recommend to be more beneficial in my time until December?
I have EK, TBR, Kaplan, Chad's videos

Members don't see this ad :)
What are SA's?

Considering I have 2months left, I'm planning to use the entire month of December on FL exams and EK quizzes and the time from now to December on content + quizzes..

TBR, Kaplan and Ek. I am using EK for Bio and Verbal. Everything else is TBR/Kaplan. I thought about Chad's videos but decided I had way too much material already. I am using audio osmosis.. Instead of vidseos.

What are SA's?

SA = self assessment, buy them from AAMC.

http://www.premedlife.com/habits-to-make-and-habits-to-break-for-the-mcat/

Came across this on Facebook and thought I would share. Also for those who have audio osmosis, do you recommend it? I'm driving the kids a lot around in the car which cuts study time and thought about purchasing it but not sure if it's good.

The audio osmosis is meant to reinforce content material. It gets you thinking about concepts in each subject that you already have a firm grasp on. I use audio osmosis as a supplement once in a while. My online flashcards and audio osmosis have the same purpose--quick review that I am likely to forget. To answer your question, I prefer flashcards for the purpose of reinforcing concepts. I found that I am much more "passive" when I am listening to the audio osmosis so I don't use it often. If you are an auditory learner, it might be helpful for you.

Reactions: 1 users
The audio osmosis is meant to reinforce content material. It gets you thinking about concepts in each subject that you already have a firm grasp on. I use audio osmosis as a supplement once in a while. My online flashcards and audio osmosis have the same purpose--quick review that I am likely to forget. To answer your question, I prefer flashcards for the purpose of reinforcing concepts. I found that I am much more "passive" when I am listening to the audio osmosis so I don't use it often. If you are an auditory learner, it might be helpful for you.

Thanks!! That actually helps a ton!! I'm not an auditory learner at all and actually tune out or forget things I hear. I learn better from reading, writing notes, etc. I do love flashcards though haha.

Reactions: 1 user
In my BS passages today, almost every one of the answer explanations started with "You should know...". One of my favorite explanation from EK Chapter 7 says, "You should know that the thoracic duct delivers lymph to the venous circulation from the lower part of the body and the left arm." Shut up, EK.
HA good to know I'm not the only one making snarky comments in response to my review books. I recall saying something similar for that exact problem actually.

Also for those who have audio osmosis, do you recommend it? I'm driving the kids a lot around in the car which cuts study time and thought about purchasing it but not sure if it's good.
You can try Audio Osmosis before you buy it online. I agree it's just for supplement but even for that I didn't care for it. They basically are just reading bits from their EK books but with lots corny and teenage boy type jokes thrown in. I grew tired of it really quick and couldn't finish it. Often they just read equations, which was not very helpful for me either.

I heard from someone who just took the MCAT that they found the Think MCAT audiobooks really helpful.

You can try Audio Osmosis before you buy it online. I agree it's just for supplement but even for that I didn't care for it. They basically are just reading bits from their EK books but with lots corny and teenage boy type jokes thrown in. I grew tired of it really quick and couldn't finish it. Often they just read equations, which was not very helpful for me either.

I heard from someone who just took the MCAT that they found the Think MCAT audiobooks really helpful.

Nice! Yeah glad I didn't buy it and waste my money! I just hate all that time in the car getting wasted with zero studying. We go to my parents a lot which is a 5 hour drive one-way and I either listen to music or Jillian Michaels podcast. Haven't found a good MCAT podcast. Just hate that that is 10 hours that I could be MCAT studying especially with my boys entertained or asleep in the back (rare occasion at home when I'm actually studying haha).

Joining this thread.
Starting late but plan on mixing content review with quiz/passages to make a 2month plan. Biggest concern is giving myself enough time to study for the FLs. Where are you guys in your studying?
Welcome! I'm on day 45 of the S2Ned schedule. Finishing content review and starting FLs in 3 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think AO is helpful if you use it correctly. In order to get anything from it during listening, you really have to sit down and write your own notes on each track. Then, once you listen to it you have a big pack of hand written notes in your own words that will help you conceptualize the topics. I wrote/made drawings of my own transcripts for each track (took forever) but now I have a comprehensive set of notes that I refer to when I get a SA or FL question wrong.

Welcome! I'm on day 45 of the S2Ned schedule. Finishing content review and starting FLs in 3 weeks.

I think we might be on the exact same days of SN2's schedule.I'm starting to feel some burn out setting in after these double days and worried that I might need to review some of the earlier chapters of our study schedule :bored:

Well I have been super sick the past two days! Had to go to the doctor today for high fever. So I am officially behind two days... I feel my strength coming back, going to try and study a little bit and hopefully be better tomorrow. Ugh. Viral infections suck.. My poor poor immune system. :(

Well I have been super sick the past two days! Had to go to the doctor today for high fever. So I am officially behind two days... I feel my strength coming back, going to try and study a little bit and hopefully be better tomorrow. Ugh. Viral infections suck.. My poor poor immune system. :(

Get well soon! 2 days isn't too far behind. You will be caught up in no time!
I must admit, fear of getting sick while studying for the MCAT is making me a horrible person. Someone sneezes or coughs and I say, "bless you, wash your hands." :(

Reactions: 1 users
I think we might be on the exact same days of SN2's schedule.I'm starting to feel some burn out setting in after these double days and worried that I might need to review some of the earlier chapters of our study schedule :bored:
Wow two chapters a day is impressive! I sometimes don't even finish 1. I try to review missed questions everyday from previous chapters and that helps jog my memory. But I definitely will have to review more, especially those obscure organic reactions I never use. I was thinking about reviewing instead of the "hat trick" that's coming up on the schedule. Also I try to review arithmetic everyday, another weak area of mine.

Sorry to hear... maybe you will have some immunity so you won't get sick for the test though! That would be the worst.

Wow two chapters a day is impressive! I sometimes don't even finish

Oh, it's definitely not a good thing. I feel like I'm a enzyme-substrate saturation curve or something. At some point, I just don't absorb any more. More motivation to stay focused and with the schedule!

Thanks! And say you've already used all of those once, is there any other good source for verbal practice
Having taken all the aamc FLs, all EK 101, and all TPRH.... TPRH was by far closest thing to actual AAMC material but both sources are good for practice.

I actually did everything and now that I have to retake I don't have many resources for verbal

The sickness is over. After two days of being completely being out. I am ready to tackle and destroy!

Reactions: 2 users
Also....people use verbal for EK! Do it do it! I combined their strategy and Kaplans! And working out great for me. And massive amounts of practice...

Also....people use verbal for EK! Do it do it! I combined their strategy and Kaplans! And working out great for me. And massive amounts of practice...

What is the "strategy" from EK that you are using? Main idea? Sit upright and focus? I feel like it comes down to focusing on every single word and reading slowly

What is the "strategy" from EK that you are using? Main idea? Sit upright and focus? I feel like it comes down to focusing on every single word and reading slowly

Main idea, focus, read every word. Slowly, and go back to the passage as little as possible. EK also had a similar thing as Kaplan, answers being out of scope, opposite, faulty use of detail, distortion. Which helps me categorize as I read the answers...has been a huge help. I also practiced with BR when I first started studying for VR maybe that helped?

Hope everyone's studying is going well. Finished most of my MCAT studying for today , going to put in some biochem studying and hopefully call it a day . Stay on the grind !!!

Hey everyone,
I'm taking the January 10th MCAT as well in Los Angeles. I've already begun taking the practice exams.
#3: 6/8/ n/a didn't complete the bio section
#4: 5/8/7
#5: 7/9/7
#7: 8/10/7
I'm very worried as to why my bio section are at a standstill. It's weird because I love biology. Anyone else going through a similar situation? Any advice?

How have you been studying?

And why are you taking the MCAT if you are a DO/PhD student?

Jane26Enja62, I just want to let you know that your scores are encouraging to me. There is definite improvement there - great work!

I came on here to talk about my SAs. I'm extremely disappointed because I'm post content-review. I am aiming for a 30 but since I'm applying to DO schools I'm okay with a 28. Right now I'm on track to get a 25.

Bio - 67%
Ochem - 64%
Verbal - 63 % (reviewed and re-did verbal a month later with a fine tooth com and got 80%)

My plan is to finish the self-assessments and review them, keeping an 'error journal.' Any content gaps will be filled in with reading TPR books and answering their in-chapter questions. I will be taking my first full-length (AAMC 3) next week and I'll report back.

Hey everyone,
I'm taking the January 10th MCAT as well in Los Angeles. I've already begun taking the practice exams.
I'm very worried as to why my bio section are at a standstill. It's weird because I love biology. Anyone else going through a similar situation? Any advice?

What is your study strategy?

Jane26Enja62, I just want to let you know that your scores are encouraging to me. There is definite improvement there - great work!

I came on here to talk about my SAs. I'm extremely disappointed because I'm post content-review. I am aiming for a 30 but since I'm applying to DO schools I'm okay with a 28. Right now I'm on track to get a 25.

Bio - 67%
Ochem - 64%
Verbal - 63 % (reviewed and re-did verbal a month later with a fine tooth com and got 80%)

My plan is to finish the self-assessments and review them, keeping an 'error journal.' Any content gaps will be filled in with reading TPR books and answering their in-chapter questions. I will be taking my first full-length (AAMC 3) next week and I'll report back.

Hey, thanks for posting this. What is ur Physics and Chem SA percent? How are you using the SAs. I basically have been going question by question analyzing why I get it wrong or right. This takes forever but I feel it is helping to fill in my content gaps in a method that is consistent with the exam format. Interested to see ur aamc3 score. My SA numbers are pretty similar, given that the exam is in January, it is realistic that with these numbers you could score anywhere from 25-33+ with consistent practice.

Hey, thanks for posting this. What is ur Physics and Chem SA percent? How are you using the SAs. I basically have been going question by question analyzing why I get it wrong or right. This takes forever but I feel it is helping to fill in my content gaps in a method that is consistent with the exam format. Interested to see ur aamc3 score. My SA numbers are pretty similar, given that the exam is in January, it is realistic that with these numbers you could score anywhere from 25-33+ with consistent practice.
Hey! I haven't done physics and chem yet. I'm aiming to finish those and review them thoroughly by Nov 26.

I do the SA all the way through and then review. I plan on changing this strategy. Another method is to review them as you go along (which is more efficient since you won't have to re-read questions, but doesn't test your stamina/endurance). I will probably do that as I don't usually have time issues on any test as long as I know the material.

Is anyone else scoring average on SAs and what is your study strategy?

Hey there! When going over your wrong answers, are you broadly categorizing them? Are you forgetting/not knowing content, not understanding the question, failing to reason/infer correctly, etc?

Hey everyone,

Hi Jane26Enaj62! You've made improvements on your physical sciences and verbal so kudos to you! Keep that up. As far as the biological science section goes, it sounds like you've pinpointed that its the biology and not the organic chemistry.
I think you may want to re-analyze the questions you've missed and figure out why (as ashisma specified the types of questions to ask). This method of categorizing is helpful to notice patterns and target the weak areas.

Also, I noticed you've been taking AAMC test, which is great but you may want to hold off on AAMC test until you start to see improvements in your biological section and it gets closer to the test date. AAMC test are similar to each other than they are to other FL test out there by test companies. Good luck!

Hey! I haven't done physics and chem yet. I'm aiming to finish those and review them thoroughly by Nov 26.

I do the SA all the way through and then review. I plan on changing this strategy. Another method is to review them as you go along (which is more efficient since you won't have to re-read questions, but doesn't test your stamina/endurance). I will probably do that as I don't usually have time issues on any test as long as I know the material.

Is anyone else scoring average on SAs and what is your study strategy?

Hey, yeh I'm reviewing each one as I go. Its a lot of work and takes a ton of time, but I think its worth it! I am concerned about timing so I give myself 8 mins on each passage. I know I'll be able to increase speed once I get the basics of answering the aamc style down. SA feels golden to me tho, I didn't see anything from any other prep source that is comparable. This thing is basically like a test bank of questions written by the actual test writers. I have found that reading every word closely in the question stem is absolutely crucial. So far I'm through about 40% of all the SAs and my averages are all in the 60-70% range. I think I can bring it up for sure, def have noticed improvement as I practice more and more passages!

What is your study strategy?
I'm following the SDNed 2 plan. Except I've been extremely behind because of work and taking my last ochem class. I haven't read any of the TBR ochem books because I'm taking a class now. But I will start reading them to see if it will improve my bio section.

Hi Jane26Enaj62! You've made improvements on your physical sciences and verbal so kudos to you! Keep that up. As far as the biological science section goes, it sounds like you've pinpointed that its the biology and not the organic chemistry.
I think you may want to re-analyze the questions you've missed and figure out why (as ashisma specified the types of questions to ask). This method of categorizing is helpful to notice patterns and target the weak areas.

Also, I noticed you've been taking AAMC test, which is great but you may want to hold off on AAMC test until you start to see improvements in your biological section and it gets closer to the test date. AAMC test are similar to each other than they are to other FL test out there by test companies. Good luck!
Hey,
Yes, I think you are right. I will hold off on teh AAMC tests till mid December. I will start doing the Gold Standard. I actually just did the Bio section of GS this morning and got a 10. I think I just get fatigued after all the other sections and get lazy with reading the BS sections. I just need to suck it up and power through!!! Thanks for all the advice :)

I was wondering about Le Chatlier's principle and thermodynamics. Saw this on pg. 40 of EK gen chem:
upload_2014-11-21_18-53-19.png

Makes sense but guess I never put two and two together.

This might be a dumb question but what is TBR? I know Kaplan, Princeton & EK but I feel like I'm missing a good resource bc y'all keep mentioning it! Thanks!!

This might be a dumb question but what is TBR? I know Kaplan, Princeton & EK but I feel like I'm missing a good resource bc y'all keep mentioning it! Thanks!!
The Berkley Review. Checkout this thread if you haven't seen it, makes some good book recommendations even if you can't follow the schedule exactly.

What strategy do you use when approaching science passages? Read whole thing before questions? Skim? Read questions first? Or something else? Thanks!

I thought this was really helpful too. It's from the FAQ, not sure why it's not sticky'ed:

Which test prep books and practice tests are best for each section?

This is the general consensus of the SDN membership, but definitely not a hard and fast rule.

Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

Why is Kaplan bad?!
I don't know, I've mostly used EK and TPRH verbal questions so far. Here's what SN2ed says:
Why is Kaplan's verbal bad?

Kaplan is bad in verbal because it doesn't stress the same things as the actual MCAT. For the MCAT, the main idea and author's point of view/opinion are the keys to success. Conversely, Kaplan focuses more on the detail oriented questions which are easy to teach; the kind of questions which make you go back over the passage to find the minute detail being tested. On the MCAT, going back to the passages will kill your timing. Furthermore, you rarely receive such questions and when you do get them, they can typically be answered with the main idea or author's opinion.

I follow this advice more or less from Shrike's Physics FAQ: How to Read Physical Science Passages

Thanks for this. I am starting to try to not read passages and just skim to mental map it and look at charts/graphs then go to questions. This saves time and allows a more thorough analysis of the actual question to ensure the answer is relevant to what the question stem is asking. So far, in doing the SAs, if there is one thing I've learned it is that if an answer choice is not relevant and requires too much outside the box inferring, then its most likely incorrect.

Hey everyone,

Your VR scores are very good! Keep it up!