The Official January 10, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jhakaasmaan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting here and I thought I would go ahead a make a thread for those writing on this test date.

115 days out!

Members don't see this ad.

Your sciences are great!!! If you can focus on verbal and bring it up 3-5 points, you will be solid!! Keep it up!
Thank you! I am trying very hard. Somehow I loose focus during the long 60-min passages. My mind usually goes away and I would think about some other random things. I have to keep telling myself to focus.

By the way, I hated reading so much! (only like to read in my own language, lol)

Hi Everyone. Nov7 taker here. Just managed to snatch a seat about 10 mins away from home :)

I am hoping I wont have to retake but I am willing to if I scored below my average. Mainly used TBR materials with EK for bio (followed sn2ed more or less) Verbal is my weakness. I plan on reading, and doing some light review now and then, until I get my score back.

Ah, happy studying everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm happy that you are doing great I think TBR are the best ... I was scheduled to take the MCAT on Nov 7th and because of my verbal scores and orgo weakness i did not pass 27 on my practice exams so chose to reschedule to jan 10th.... any tips on how to do better in verbal? and orgo?

I cannot comment on Orgo. Because I never studied it the first time around, and I just had a great intuitive sense on it. Verbal, I'd say jsut focus on the questions, not on time. Time you can make up for later, but you need to focus on getting questions right. The biggest thing that has helped me is to write a small blurb about each paragraph or so. That's what I've been doing. I need to start working more on this stuff. Been behind on SN2ed's but am fousing mainly on the subjects I have trouble with: optics stuff, acids/bases, electrochem, repro system and development, and microbiology. Plus oxygen stuff in Ochem.

Is anyone else feeling super mcatted out???? I don't know where all my motivation went from when I first began studying (was probably putting in ~10 hours of concentrated, serious studying time early September). This might just sound silly but I just can't bring myself to keep motivated and focused at ALL these days :(

I am pretty exhausted also. But lately, since it is closer to crunch time... I have been listening to a lot of motivational speeches on YouTube to get me back on track! Today, work was super busy! So when I got home, I wanted to do nothing! Listened to some motivational YouTube vids! Ans BAM, cracked open my EK book. Gonna start doing EK and TpRH for the rest of the time. Good luck! Let's just try and finish strong!

Reactions: 1 users
So I just woke up after being sick for the past day and checked twitter and all the seats will given out!!!!! Wtf I feel like my stomach just rolled over.

I have an upstate seat but that gives me only 2 months to study the 23rd would have given me another 2 weeks.

So I just woke up after being sick for the past day and checked twitter and all the seats will given out!!!!! Wtf I feel like my stomach just rolled over.

Yeah... I didn't even try and get a later spot. This is it. Now or never. I can't put off this anymore! Wanna take it and move on!

Reactions: 1 user
So I have 2 months now anyone think more seats will open when the test date nears or was thisw it the final act?

Is anyone else feeling super mcatted out???? I don't know where all my motivation went from when I first began studying (was probably putting in ~10 hours of concentrated, serious studying time early September). This might just sound silly but I just can't bring myself to keep motivated and focused at ALL these days :(
Yea it comes and it goes. When I'm feeling unmotivated I come on here or /r/premed and read about people scoring low or not getting interviews. I know it's awful and I feel sorry but it also reminds me of the serious repercussions of not preparing to my full potential. Looking at average MCAT scores on open MSAR (free) last night also helped my motivation.

It's hard to believe 1 month is already gone. The next 2 will go quick too I'm sure.

Officially joining you guys for my retake. I got lucky yesterday and was able to switch from Jan 8 to 10th for a place near me. How's everyone's studying going so far? I've been lacking the motivation to pull 8-10 hr study sessions like I was doing before. :scared:

Trying to maintain confidence with verbal and reading slowly seems to be key. I have been trying different strategies and so far this one is working best. I am going to begin working on the SAs going passage by passage and reviewing content immediately on any question I get wrong....burnout is real though, I don't understand how some people study as much as they claim here on sdn

So I have been studying with BR, and Kaplan, for VR and finally started EK last night...and oh my god. I love it... I feel so much more prepared since I had practice with awful BR and Kaplan..(to me it was helpful)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody!! Good luck, and God bless to those who are indeed taking the test on this date!! For those who are scheduled to take the test on this date and have a change of heart or have friends that are having a change of heart, I'm asking if you'd contact me on here and let me know as I'm doing my best to gain a spot to take the MCAT in January 2015. If you can let me know before you cancel your test date, we could set it up so that when you cancel I'm potentially there to fill your spot on AAMC's test scheduling site. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hey everybody!! Good luck, and God bless to those who are indeed taking the test on this date!! For those who are scheduled to take the test on this date and have a change of heart or have friends that are having a change of heart, I'm asking if you'd contact me on here and let me know as I'm doing my best to gain a spot to take the MCAT in January 2015. If you can let me know before you cancel your test date, we could set it up so that when you cancel I'm potentially there to fill your spot on AAMC's test scheduling site. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Trying to maintain confidence with verbal and reading slowly seems to be key. I have been trying different strategies and so far this one is working best. I am going to begin working on the SAs going passage by passage and reviewing content immediately on any question I get wrong....burnout is real though, I don't understand how some people study as much as they claim here on sdn

I'm not so much of a fan about reading slowly..I started off with that strategy and it seem to harm me more than help. It use to take me ~4 mins to read a passage at a normal pace but after more practice, it takes me less than 3 mins to get through a passage. Even with that, I was running out of time on the real deal. Just wanted to chime on that part.

Burnout is very much real. I actually feel like I'm going through that phase right now but what can you do when you don't have a lot of time left since the last dates to take the test are in Jan.

I just read some of their reasons for signing the petition, and gosh I honestly feel bad for them.
On a happier note though, if you need inspiration just remember there are hundreds of people willingly to take your seat! :)

With that said, quality study time> quantity. Burning out is a real thing so pace yourself. Take a break here and there and don't feel guilty about it either! Have a great night!

We've known for a year when the final test dates were and AAMC has added plenty of seats. There are logistical barriers to adding an infinite amount of seats.

It is frustrating, but blaming AAMC is by far the least responsible and least productive path to take. I want no part of that petition.

Yup. I snagged my seat months and months ago. But just feel bad for people. Can't please everyone......

Yup. I snagged my seat months and months ago. But just feel bad for people. Can't please everyone......

Me too.

Though I definitely sympathize with those struggling to get seats, that petition sort of rubbed me the wrong way - it seems very "entitled".

Me too.

Though I definitely sympathize with those struggling to get seats, that petition sort of rubbed me the wrong way - it seems very "entitled".

Yes. I understand. I guess I didn't really think about it when I reposted it..... =\ but I definitely understand. AAMC has more than generous... On another note. Took a break tonight..back to the grind tomorrow!!

@nystin Oh I didn't even consider you relinking it - I was more annoyed by the post in the general MCAT forum by the author. I didn't want to derail her thread there, but here I was happy to comment. :)

Good luck! Just did Bio today - Digestive/Excretory.

Me too.

I sympathize with them too but I feel trying to fight AAMC isn't really going to solve anything since AAMC did make it clear that they weren't adding more seats a while ago. I took the test about 2 weeks ago and for 4 days right after, I stalked the registration site day and night. I refreshed the site on the computer or on my phone if I'm away. I actually found seats in a lot of states open up and was able to snatch one myself in my state. Then yesterday, after waiting to get on the site, I repeatedly refreshed for 30 mins and saw seats in many states show up too then actually got one near me. While it may seem like a gamble, I think if you stalk the site..not just try once or twice a day but do it regularly throughout the day, you can certainly get a seat somewhere in the country. My two friends who didn't have a seat got one yesterday during the chaos too so it is possible.

So what is everyone's study schedule from here on out until the exam? Focusing mainly on content or practice passages or practice tests?

So what is everyone's study schedule from here on out until the exam? Focusing mainly on content or practice passages or practice tests?

Practice, practice, and go over my notes, and mistakes, listen to Audio Osmosis, sleep less, avoid social outings, and just give it all I got.

Me too.

Agreed, I don't understand the tone or the content of that petition. Why do you think AAMC is required to do anything? On the other hand, it would be awesome if AAMC did offer more dates after Jan for the current format so we could have the option to retake too. I think the length of the new MCAT is pushing it, at least for me. I have a hard time sitting still in a chair for 4 hours at a time let alone 7!

I've come to accept this is the last chance for the current shorter format though and am giving it all I got.

burnout is real though, I don't understand how some people study as much as they claim here on sdn
Yes trying to maintain some balance is important I feel. But I am studying the same as I had to do well in my pre-reqs (all day and pretty much every chance I get). I'm a post-bac student and definitely more motivated than I was for undergrad. Maybe because this is really my last shot to do something meaningful with my life; I've tried and didn't like the alternatives. Regular exercise, mediation, eating well, frequent breaks with some enjoyable hobbies seems to help me too. I've heard it's only going to get more intense moving along the MD path as well so I guess I was expecting a progressively difficult load. It's definitely living up to its reputation of feeling like a marathon.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm going to be doing at least 20 random questions from EK1001 for each subject every day. I'm going to try to get 50 in each day. This is primarily to solidify my knowledge in the subjects. Yay for random number generators!

Still on SN2's schedule, albeit a little behind from moving houses last weekend. Trudging through BR content and practice passages. I keep hearing how difficult and discouraging their material is, so I'm ready to take my first practice test on December 8.

The more I review, the more it seems like BS is basically verbal is disguise
Really? How is that? I want to believe this but I get the opposite feeling from EK and BR. In verbal you are basically punished for bringing in outside/prior knowledge of the passage whereas with BS it's required or at least helpful for the majority of questions. I feel like I could argue a persuasive case for many "wrong" verbal answers (exegesis is subjective after all) whereas I've found few subjective BS questions. The only similarities I've seen are with the predictive inference type questions and reading comprehension skills. Beyond that I've been using completely different strategies for verbal than for BS. But maybe I'm taking the wrong approach and the "disguise" is fooling me?

Last edited:
I guess posting on here on my phone doesn't speak well to my level of focus.

Really? How is that? I want to believe this but I get the opposite feeling from EK and BR. In verbal you are basically punished for bringing in outside/prior knowledge of the passage whereas with BS it's required or at least helpful for the majority of questions. I feel like I could argue a persuasive case for many "wrong" verbal answers (exegesis is subjective after all) whereas I've found few subjective BS questions. The only similarities I've seen are with the predictive inference type questions and reading comprehension skills. Beyond that I've been using completely different strategies for verbal than for BS. But maybe I'm taking the wrong approach and the "disguise" is fooling me?

Agreed. I think that's why I like verbal so much. It's in the passage, forget what you think you know, complete mind blank (until you start on the next science section, that is). In my BS passages today, almost every one of the answer explanations started with "You should know...". One of my favorite explanation from EK Chapter 7 says, "You should know that the thoracic duct delivers lymph to the venous circulation from the lower part of the body and the left arm." Shut up, EK.

I guess posting on here on my phone doesn't speak well to my level of focus.

No judgement.

Just sat down to study! Verbal and Physics tonight let's do it!!!

Nice - my morning was Fluids/Solids (TBR #7) and 3 verbal passages out of EK 101.

Nice nice! More practice than me! Should I buy the EK101Verbal? I am currently working on regular EK Verbal&Kaplan. P.S very tired.

Nice nice! More practice than me! Should I buy the EK101Verbal? I am currently working on regular EK Verbal&Kaplan. P.S very tired.

I didn't know there was another EK verbal book. The EK 101 is decent. At this point if you needed more verbal passages though I would prefer to get TPRH verbal. I think their passages are the best practice.

It is probably easier to get EK 101 though because you can get in on amazon. TPRH would have to be sourced used and is harder to find at a reasonable price.

I did Fluids/Solids and the Digestive System yesterday. Killer. These double days are awful while I'm trying to catch back up.

Ouch I don't think I could do two new chapters in a day. It's long as it is - especially with classes really ramping up.

Ouch is right. I sat at my desk for almost 7 hours total yesterday. My double days are over this Wednesday though, and I'll be completely caught up. Such a relief!

good luck guys, just now trying to sign up for this date and all sites (across the states are full---weird). And I live in tiny Oregon but probably those freaky cali pre-meds camped out and took all the seats lol--guess that is the price one pays for being slow. Actually, I was not sure if I wanted to re-take because I have a score which needed to be revamped. But now I feel like I just need to take this old exam before the new one rolls out. Thought AAMC could have solved that problem because seats are always in demand because people change their schedule or for a number of other reasons. Hopefully something opens up.

Full blown sick. URI. Must continue to study. Good luck everyone! Stay healthy and safe! Winter has begun!