**The Official July 2015 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum,
This is the official thread I've created for all the July test takers. I know its kinda early to start preparing for the July MCAT, but I know some who may have already begun the marathon since the new MCAT requires more than 3 months of study prep. Let's fill the thread with rich MCAT related discussions and be helpful to one another. The white coat down the lane is awaiting us ! Let's go....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to start working on the 3 EK FLs. I wanted to do TPR and Kaplan early on, then go through NS strategy/pasage books (making it into a FL, albeit paper exam, and then end with AAMC/EKs.
Sounds like a lot of work. From what i'm seeing 500 does not correlate to a 24 right? I mean, numerically it does but I haven't seen one 508 or 510.

Question:

Are you guys applying to all your medical schools right off the bat with the AMCAS app?

Or are you adding schools on in August after we get our scores back?

Question:

Are you guys applying to all your medical schools right off the bat with the AMCAS app?

Or are you adding schools on in August after we get our scores back?
Applying asap to one school to get the app verified and then add schools when I get the score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a lot of work. From what i'm seeing 500 does not correlate to a 24 right? I mean, numerically it does but I haven't seen one 508 or 510.

Just a practice test a week. The test fatigue is real.

In reality, possibly. But I wouldn't say that for a 3rd party practice test. Overall, these tests are much harder than the reality, with the AAMC practice test being the best predictor. Well, at least that's the general consensus.

Applying asap to one school to get the app verified and then add schools when I get the score.

Schools don't really send out 2ndaries until they see the MCAT score anyway right? So there's no lag essentially if your app is verified?

Is there a link I can look at that shows what topics are being taken out for the 2015 MCAT? I'm having trouble finding it.

I think I might be overstudying certain physics topics that may not be emphasized on the new MCAT.

Is there a link I can look at that shows what topics are being taken out for the 2015 MCAT? I'm having trouble finding it.

I think I might be overstudying certain physics topics that may not be emphasized on the new MCAT.
this is from Kaplan info booklet
1) momentum removed
2) solids (density, elastic properties, and so on) removed
3) Periodic motion (springs and pendulums) removed
EXCEPTION: Spring potential energy still tested.

this is from Kaplan info booklet
1) momentum removed
2) solids (density, elastic properties, and so on) removed
3) Periodic motion (springs and pendulums) removed
EXCEPTION: Spring potential energy still tested.

Oh ok, thank you.

Help! Just took my first practice test and got a 499. I know it's not great but what do I have to be aiming for here?? My brain is too fired from that long-a test to try and comprehend the scoring. :/

499 seems to be a common score on here if you look back through the posts. I've been seeing a lot of people say they got between a 494 and 499, not too many 500 or above. At least from what people have been posting.

Also if you look back through threads from previous months it seems the prep companies missed the mark, so the practice test scores aren't terribly accurate. Was it a prep practice test or aamc?

499 seems to be a common score on here if you look back through the posts. I've been seeing a lot of people say they got between a 494 and 499, not too many 500 or above. At least from what people have been posting.

Also if you look back through threads from previous months it seems the prep companies missed the mark, so the practice test scores aren't terribly accurate. Was it a prep practice test or aamc?
It was a TPR practice test - they didn't have the percentiles either so i don't really have a sense of where I stand. This is my second time taking the MCAT, last time I got a 26.

Help! Just took my first practice test and got a 499. I know it's not great but what do I have to be aiming for here?? My brain is too fired from that long-a test to try and comprehend the scoring. :/

I took 3 and averaged a 494. Generally anyone who scores around 499 have seemed to correlate to 80-90% percentile on the real test.

Yeah they can't give you a percentile because they don't have a group of people who took the same test at the same time to compare you to. I think you're in pretty good shape though, since I was also told TPR is pretty dense and covers things tediously, almost, like way too in-depth. So if you're at 499 with TPR maybe you'll be in good shape for aamc? This is all hearsay though and probably not worth much. =/
The uncertainty about the new test and the whole process in general is definitely unsettling. Wish we knew more!

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking the test july 17th. Mainly using kaplan to prepare for the mcat along with quizlet. Been getting around 495 on kaplan fl's. Planning on taking the aamc practice exam on tuesday. I was wondering how everybody else is doing on their chaplain's fl's.

Hello July test takers! Just a friendly May-taker that wanted to pop in real quick to refer you to: http://examkrackers.com/pdf/AAMCupdates-PsychSoc.pdf
This mainly concerns people using EK. I used EK entirely for my studying, so I cannot stress ENOUGH how inconvenient it was for my heart to learn that 1/3 of the Psych/Soc material was absent a week before the exam. Thank my lucky stars I got an itch to scavenge these forums for information during one of my procrastination sessions lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Another may test taker here

Personally I would ignore all test company scores; only pay attention to the aamc sample test score.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how in depth the biochem is on the real test? I read through Kaplan's biochem and it seemed like it was way too detailed. I read through the Princeton reviews 3 chapters on biochem and fet like it didn't have enough biochem.
I'm a may test taker didn't do so hot and am kicking my self in the butt for not voiding since they were having issues but I'm retaking in July and biochem is very heavy don't over look it, i also studied with kaplan

I'm a may test taker didn't do so hot and am kicking my self in the butt for not voiding since they were having issues but I'm retaking in July and biochem is very heavy don't over look it, i also studied with kaplan

I am literally in the exact same boat as you haha.

When you finish the exam does it give you any indication at all of how you did? Like how many you got wrong or anything? Just curious how you would know to void. I always feel like I did horrendously on a practice exam, but I actually did ok, OR I feel like I did ok and actually did horrendously. I don't think I would want to void after dropping so much cash on it, but if there was some inkling to how I did maybe that would help with the decision. Sorry if I talked in circles there!

When you finish the exam does it give you any indication at all of how you did? Like how many you got wrong or anything? Just curious how you would know to void. I always feel like I did horrendously on a practice exam, but I actually did ok, OR I feel like I did ok and actually did horrendously. I don't think I would want to void after dropping so much cash on it, but if there was some inkling to how I did maybe that would help with the decision. Sorry if I talked in circles there!

Heh, this is entirely guesswork and personal experience. You get absolutely NO indication of how you did. But history has shown that when I walk out of an exam feeling either confident or worried (mulling over various questions I might've gotten wrong in my head), then I probably did okay. If I, however, walked out stunned with a blank expression like I had gotten sucker punched, I almost certainly bombed. It's all about personal experience. I would trust that instinct above all else. I walked out the first time feeling the latter, didn't void, and hated myself when I got my score back.

Oof, that is not encouraging! Haha. I wonder why they can't tell you how many you got wrong. Does anyone know? I mean you wouldn't know your percentile, so it wouldn't really mean much yet, but still. Giving at least SOME indication of how you did would definitely help the nerves a bit!

I wonder why they can't tell you how many you got wrong. Does anyone know? I mean you wouldn't know your percentile, so it wouldn't really mean much yet, but still. Giving at least SOME indication of how you did would definitely help the nerves a bit!

It would inflate the mean score without a doubt! A lot of people that score at the low end percentiles would automatically know they did badly. I think it'd be obvious you're <50 percentile when you got less than half the answers correct. Only high percent correct people would submit. It just wouldn't be realistic!

for those applying: do you think we will be late? i know we'll be complete mid august, and i think it should be fine if we already had the app verified, but sdn scares me lol.

July test taker here, don't let your tpr scores discourage you... Lots of people who scored mid 490s scored very well on the real deal. You have to remember TPR has a stake in giving you depressingly low scores... That way you score very low, use their products and score well on the real exam and then come back and credit TPR with your success and how you got a 496 on the demo and a 518 on the real exam

How many practice tests is everyone planning to take before the real deal? I was hoping at least 4-5. Planning on doing the aamc one the week before my actual test.

How many practice tests is everyone planning to take before the real deal? I was hoping at least 4-5. Planning on doing the aamc one the week before my actual test.

Excluding the AAMC... I am planning on doing 5. It takes so long to review each test that doing too much more could mean you aren't truly fine combing each test and supplementing flaws with extra paractice, which is more important than taking alot of tests. even just 3 test could be good if you are truly immersing yourself in each test review

Took my diagnostic exam a few weeks ago using the TPR FL and got a 498.

Taking my second full length this Saturday but I am using the Gold Standard FL 1.

Will post if I find any big differences between the 2!

I've done 3 but took a long break but I haven't touched one for awhile.

My plan is to do at least 3 or 4 more and if I have time, 6. Likely saving AAMC practice test as my 2nd last one and take it 2-3 weeks out.

I ended up taking almost 10 FL's. I reviewed with TPR and found that taking practice tests and going over what I missed was amazingly helpful. Also, TPR definitely does make their tests harder than the real exam, because they have some sort of "10 point improvement guarantee" where if you don't score ten points higher on your actual test than you did on the first FL TPR diagnostic then you can take the class again (or something like that).

Still, I'm happy that I used TPR to study as opposed to Kaplan or another company. Even though the TPR tests weren't exactly confidence boosters, when it came down to the actual exam I felt like the trickiest passages didn't seem so bad because I had seen even trickier ones on TPR tests.

TPR test scores: consistently around 506-511

AAMC Practice: Chem/Phys- 53/59; CARS- 51/53; Bio: 53/59; Psych/Soc: 53/59

Real exam (took in April): Chem/Phys- 130; CARS- 129; Bio: 130; Psych/Soc: 131.... Composite was 520, 98th percentile. Very happy!

I ended up taking almost 10 FL's. I reviewed with TPR and found that taking practice tests and going over what I missed was amazingly helpful. Also, TPR definitely does make their tests harder than the real exam, because they have some sort of "10 point improvement guarantee" where if you don't score ten points higher on your actual test than you did on the first FL TPR diagnostic then you can take the class again (or something like that).

Still, I'm happy that I used TPR to study as opposed to Kaplan or another company. Even though the TPR tests weren't exactly confidence boosters, when it came down to the actual exam I felt like the trickiest passages didn't seem so bad because I had seen even trickier ones on TPR tests.

TPR test scores: consistently around 506-511

AAMC Practice: Chem/Phys- 53/59; CARS- 51/53; Bio: 53/59; Psych/Soc: 53/59

Real exam (took in April): Chem/Phys- 130; CARS- 129; Bio: 130; Psych/Soc: 131.... Composite was 520, 98th percentile. Very happy!

I'm kind of shocked how the TPR practice test scores for the 2015 MCAT, for those scoring near 508 (the new 30) are seemingly getting 520+ which is the new 38+. Although I remember a person who went to medical school in the mid 2000s said they took a TPR prep course and was averaging a 26 on the Princeton Tests and got a 34 on the real deal. Based on applications back then, a 34 in the early-mid 2000s was arguably more competitive than what a 34 has been in the 2010s. This person also never took any AAMC tests so it was a pleasant surprise when they received their score.

Oy, anyone else dragging their feet in terms of studying? It's been about a week of guiltily staring at my books and then consciously deciding to do something else. Haven't even gotten close to finishing content review!

^I was really dragging my feet until this past week... Then I changed my study schedule - again - but this time I know I can stick with it until test day. I rearranged our guest bedroom into my study room, which helped a lot, and I've been able to put in 8 hours/day this week. Just looking over the content outline keeps me going because there is still SO MUCH to do.

< 1 month now!

Hey is anyone for this date applying this cycle? Is it too late for us who want to matriculate in 2016? :unsure:

^I was really dragging my feet until this past week... Then I changed my study schedule - again - but this time I know I can stick with it until test day. I rearranged our guest bedroom into my study room, which helped a lot, and I've been able to put in 8 hours/day this week. Just looking over the content outline keeps me going because there is still SO MUCH to do.

< 1 month now!

Fair warning, last three days before the MCAT are awful with regards to studying. It will get so bad, cleaning the entire house will seem more appealing. I theorize it's probably a self-defense mechanism that is trying to show us the wonders of going into janitorial work as a potential backup in the event of cataclysmic failure...I, myself, wound up rearranging all the furniture in my room, cleaning it entirely from top to bottom, and throwing away literally half the stuff I've hoarded since elementary school (found a gold dollar I lost in middle school!!).

Hey is anyone for this date applying this cycle? Is it too late for us who want to matriculate in 2016? :unsure:
I am! I'm not worried, but I'm a reapplicant with an old MCAT. Also I have an inkling that my top school jumps people to the front of the interview line if a good MCAT score comes in (this is based on watching friends go through the last two cycles and discussions with adcom members).

Biggest challenge now is trying to finish AMCAS (aiming for next week) while juggling MCAT...

Do you mind if I ask what your study schedule is like? Mine could probably use a tune-up.

Attached is my daily goal sheet. I start and end the day with apprx 12 questions each from two of the AAMC question packs (by bookending my day like this I'm trying to capitalize on the primacy and recency effect so that my brain prioritizes AAMC material) . I do the rest in order and check it off as I go then note where I should start the next day. The EK 1001 sets are 6 of every 6th question. It seemed really reasonable that way and if I do 7 or 8 - which is not a lot harder - I feel like I'm making good progress. I also keep a sheet where I list the content I'm weak in while doing all this. My evening is devoted to reviewing that content and making flashcards (I really like flashcards!). I'm also referring back to the AAMC content outline and checking things off as I go. Soon I'll add in Khan CARS practice and maybe EK Verbal but this is still my "ramp up" week.

Also, I'm much more aware of idle time. Just put a pizza in the oven? Do a Khan passage. Waiting at the doctor's office? Pull out psych flashcards. Some will stress quality over quantity but I know me and I need this kind of immersion to do my best.

While practicing I always limit myself to 8 minutes/passage (timing really got me in January) and 1 min/discrete. CARS passages 10 minutes each.

Attachments

• Daily Goals.docx
    12.3 KB · Views: 53

I am applying this year and yet to submit my application. Probably wont do it until closer to my test date on July 17th. One of my friends who applied last year got into UAB and USA told me end of july is the last possible date you want to submit.

Hey is anyone for this date applying this cycle? Is it too late for us who want to matriculate in 2016? :unsure:[/QUOTE]

I am applying this cycle as well! My AMCAS has been done since the end of May, but my pre-health advisors have been reviewing it with a fine tooth comb to make sure it is the best application I can submit!

I was also worried about not having submitted it yet, but my pre-health advisor (who sits on various national pre-health committees and medical school admissions) has told me multiple times not to worry and if I have it submitted by the end of July I will be in great shape (and still very early in the game!).

I hope this information helps!

I am applying this year and yet to submit my application. Probably wont do it until closer to my test date on July 17th. One of my friends who applied last year got into UAB and USA told me end of july is the last possible date you want to submit.

I am applying this cycle as well! My AMCAS has been done since the end of May, but my pre-health advisors have been reviewing it with a fine tooth comb to make sure it is the best application I can submit!

I was also worried about not having submitted it yet, but my pre-health advisor (who sits on various national pre-health committees and medical school admissions) has told me multiple times not to worry and if I have it submitted by the end of July I will be in great shape (and still very early in the game!).

Thanks for the information! I'm not worried about having my AMCAS verified in time…I'm just worried that this MCAT date is too late to be considered competitively (even if we do well). I'll have my AMCAS, LOR's, prewritten secondaries, and everything else in time for score release. I'm just panicking because our score won't be released until mid-August for us to be complete! According to SDN, it seems late :(

For anyone applying to DO, I applied pretty late last cycle, around December, and I'm currently on two waitlists, so it CAN be done if you apply late. I'm reapplying in case I'm not accepted but I'm still stressing about getting things in on time.