The Official June 21, 2012 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adele358

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see alot of people make this thread for their MCAT date. I was unable to find one for this date so I took the liberty to make one. Please share what you have found works or does not work for you?

Members don't see this ad.

Damn.... about 5 points below my AAMC average and 2 points worse than when i wrote in 2009.
But I brought my VR up to an 11 so I guess that is the silver lining.

Hey guys, could you help me out with my dilemma?

If I retook the MCAT in Sept., do you think I could substantially increase my MCAT score (5+ points)?

I got a 22 (8PS, 5V, 9BS). Here are some facts: I didn't study verbal until 2 weeks before the MCAT (underestimated it big time). I studied the PS and BS for about 1 month and a half about 2 hours a day average, relying mostly on college courses and ExamKrackers. I just got TBR.

Also, is it even worth it as I still haven't submitted my primary, and taking it in Sept. will cause my score to be available in Oct.? The deadline for my target school is Oct. 15. Should I just wait until next cycle to apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 22 (8PS, 5V, 9BS).

Also, is it even worth it as I still haven't submitted my primary, and taking it in Sept. will cause my score to be available in Oct.? The deadline for my target school is Oct. 15. Should I just wait until next cycle to apply?

Your score is low... very low. You would have to bring that up to a 30+ to have a chance being that late. You would be complete after the schools have already given out acceptances. I would say wait a year.

Haha, sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot. I've just never understood the point of an MD/PhD - a PhD can do all the research an MD can, and most academic clinicians soon become too busy doing research to actually see patients more than a few hours a week.

Michael Fehlings couldn't do the research he does without being a neurosurgeon. At least not as effectively. Really depends where you want to be on the sideways research ladder between basic science and clinical (sideways b/c one is not "above" the other).

my first practice test, about 3 month before the real thing was an 18, 5bio/6verb/7phys for mcat 45 Princeton review. My aamc test was a 22 about a month before, and my actual was a 29Q :D Couldn't be happier. Got 10phys/9verb/10bio. I was so worried about the verbal reasoning, but it all worked out! Look out D.O. school!!!

Indeed - he could do it, but he would need a team instead of doing it all by himself. The line is drawn at how basic your research ends up being - PhDs tend to get things to or past animal trials, and hand it off to MDs, who do the direct patient interaction. If you want to do the entire pathway, you can get an MD with a research fellowship and all but do the same thing as an MD/PhD, just without the letters. Ultimately, though, I think a lot of MD/PhDs end up using their PhD a lot more than their MD, and slowly but surely get further away from their patients as they get into their research.

I think it's debatably easier for a PhD to research a topic, then hand it off to the daily practicing surgeon, than for one person to try to do both.

I see your point and agree. In the case of Fehlings though, I think his dual expertise puts him in a unique position to publish, incorporate his work into his own clinical trials, and lead both ends with a supporting cast that may have just one degree or the other. Unique case though.

Another unique case is situation of one MD/PhD I spoke to (I can't remember his name and it's bugging me so bad lol). After getting his degrees he focused on his research, gradually became PI of his own lab, etc. But after turning 40 he literally flipped a 360, gave up his position, stopped doing research completely, and went to working as a clinician, seeing patients every day. He wasn't specific about his reasons for doing this, but the point is that he was able to do that 360 since he already had his MD.

still no score up. I'm not in america so i thought that had to do something with the delay but nothing. im getting scared now and i just emailed them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have advice?? Everyone is telling me I need to apply DO or even MD after hearing my score. My plan has been pre-podiatry all undergrad, because quite frankly I wanted to explore other aspects of collegiate life instead of just academics and I didn't want to stress a lot either, but it turns out I got a 31N.... Coupled with my 3.55 GPA I could get into DO and perhaps MD school (less likely, but I have killer extra cirrics: research, SMDEP, leadership positions, etc).

Am I shooting myself in the foot by applying podiatry? I never really thought so until now when I could so "easily" get into DO school.... Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I can't really apply for both because the DO programs I'd want to go to also have podiatry programs.

Thanks!!

I gotta a 30O (11 verbal/9 phys/10 bio). I am pretty happy with it based on getting around 27's on my practice tests. I only studied for about 1 month steady, so I think that's not bad considering ha. With a GPA of 3.72, having plenty of substantial extra curric and being a non standard industrial engineering student I think I can realize my goal of going out of state and not set my goals on just in state at WVU (undergrad at WVU by the way). Does anyone think I have a chance? ha

Anyone else have advice?? Everyone is telling me I need to apply DO or even MD after hearing my score. My plan has been pre-podiatry all undergrad, because quite frankly I wanted to explore other aspects of collegiate life instead of just academics and I didn't want to stress a lot either, but it turns out I got a 31N.... Coupled with my 3.55 GPA I could get into DO and perhaps MD school (less likely, but I have killer extra cirrics: research, SMDEP, leadership positions, etc).

Am I shooting myself in the foot by applying podiatry? I never really thought so until now when I could so "easily" get into DO school.... Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I can't really apply for both because the DO programs I'd want to go to also have podiatry programs.

Thanks!!

You have a awesome chance at D.O. and a decent 30-50% chance of M.D.

8 PS<---Makes me cry.
11 BS
11 VR
30N

cGPA 3.74, sGPA 3.60, FL resident.

AMCAS submitted mid-June, verified, working on secondaries now.

Don't know if I have a hope for MD :(

Thats so awesome!! Congrats! Did you ave any JAMA related passages in BS?

Uhm, not quite sure what you mean by JAMA related passage but there was definitely a beast of a BS passage that had me completely befuddled. It was like, upper level bio stuff that I wouldn't have gotten no matter how much time I spent MCAT studying. Maybe it would've helped if I'd taken a class in genetics/biochem/molecular bio but it wasn't in my cards as a post-bac. Still ended up with a 12 so some of my guesses must've been right/the curve must've been nice.

Thats so awesome!! Congrats! Did you ave any JAMA related passages in BS?
This is confusing and vague but DO NOT POST ANY SPECIFICS REGARDING PASSAGE TOPICS OR ANYTHING ELSE ON THE TEST.

You WILL be post-held for one week, and be at risk for action from the AAMC. SDN complies with AAMC subpoenas for user information.

Good job to everyone and congrats to those who reached their goal! To anyone who didn't score as well as desired, keep trying! I went from a 23 on the 1/27/12 test to a 32 on 6/21/12... So don't give up! :)[/QUOTE

I completely agree!! NEVER give up.... I went from a 23 on the 4/5/12 test to a 33 on 6/21/12.

ANYTHING is possible! And congratulations to all others on improving from their first test and achieving their goals!

I completely agree!! NEVER give up.... I went from a 23 on the 4/5/12 test to a 33 on 6/21/12.

ANYTHING is possible! And congratulations to all others on improving from their first test and achieving their goals!

What did you do differently? I have only a month worth of time to improve...

Current MSAR says 32 is median accepted applicant score

Not to sound like a huge geek, but do they provide the mean as well?

Also, still with a 31 I'd say chances are better than 30%....as long as he/she applies to a number of schools at least one should bite.

I got a 34S, 12/11/11... I'm disappointed. I was scoring 38s and 39s on practice exams. I am aiming for top 15 schools, and my GPA (~3.9 cGPA at an ivy) and extracurricular profile, research, etc. are probably in range for those top schools... It seems like it's only the MCAT score that could really sink me. Non-URM.

I recognize that my score is well-balanced, but should I retake for a 37 or so? I know it's late in the cycle and I've already submitted my primary for this cycle, but technically I could withdraw, retake, and reapply next cycle.... right?

Anybody have any suggestions? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I got a 34S, 12/11/11... I'm disappointed. I was scoring 38s and 39s on practice exams. I am aiming for top 15 schools, and my GPA (~3.9 cGPA at an ivy) and extracurricular profile, research, etc. are probably in range for those top schools... It seems like it's only the MCAT score that could really sink me. Non-URM.

I recognize that my score is well-balanced, but should I retake for a 37 or so? I know it's late in the cycle and I've already submitted my primary for this cycle, but technically I could withdraw, retake, and reapply next cycle.... right?

No. Schools will wonder why you re took and re applied when you have a decent score. It will reflect poorly on you in the end to put off school for a year solely to increase (maybe) your mcat by a few points.

Thanks!!

If you were set on podiatry, then that's what you should do. If you were only "settling" on podiatry and would prefer to be a physician, then it's legitimate to apply MD/DO instead. Just do what you're passionate about. People that are highly qualified to become a physician choose other fields of work all the time. Just because you're qualified doesn't mean that you have to choose that career.

Current MSAR says 32 is median accepted applicant score
That is probably the median for whole schools' acceptance averages, but since people can get accepted at multiple schools and people with higher scores get accepted more often than those with lower scores, that number is going to be positively skewed.

Current median matriculant MCAT score=31.1 with a standard deviation of 4.1

https://www.aamc.org/download/161690/data/table17.pdf

If you need to be at a top 15 school to feel like you'll be a good doctor, then take the year off.

No. Schools will wonder why you re took and re applied when you have a decent score. It will reflect poorly on you in the end to put off school for a year solely to increase (maybe) your mcat by a few points.

Taking a later MCAT will put you at a disadvantage. Sure you will receive some secondaries, but you will not be complete until the schools receive the second set of scores. Happened to me (granted my numbers were lower than yours, but the same thing applies).

I received my scores on Tuesday, like you. I had received 7 secondaries and two emails saying I would receive a secondary after my MCAT scores were posted. I completed all secondaries that were sent but remained incomplete until yesterday and today. The schools are just now looking at my application.

I still am early in the game so it shouldn't affect me too much. However, retaking in September would put you at not being complete until October. You would be complete after multiple interviews and acceptances have been given out. Essentially you would have shot yourself in your foot. No matter when you submitted your primary, you would be held up because of your late pending MCAT score. A 34S is still a good score. That is in the top 90th percentile, right? I got a 32R and I am in the 83th to 87th percentile which is pretty good.

My advice, don't retake. You have a higher chance of getting in with the 34 and being early than a 38 and being late. Plus, there is always the chance your score goes down.

Undeniably, the most reasonable and logical advice here is to tell you not to retake. The risks involved are weighted heavily against you.

Although, if I was in your situation (my goal is what you were scoring on practice exams), and I got the same score you just did...no matter how many people advised me not to retake, I think I would still do it. But that second time around I would be ridiculously, insanely, super saiyan 3 prepared. So prepared that anything below 38 would be unimaginable. So prepared that I would learn how to harness the power of luck to use on test day on top of all the preparedness. But that's just stubborn ol me.

Taking the exam again on Aug 10. I know it's very risky, but really need to get my MCAT score for this cycle. I started studying yesterday, mostly the Verbal part coz that's my waterloo. Anyone care to share their secret to doing well in Verbal? Thanks much!

To be fair, a lot of the top-top schools they'd probably be aiming at don't really do rolling admissions.

I feel like people significantly overestimate the importance of the MCAT score. An aptitude test is useful for categorizing people (<30, 30-34, 35-39, >40, for example) but the difference between a few points (34 to 37 or 38) isn't that major - hell, with the standard deviation most people have about a 5 point range around their score they match into.

If you're cookie-cutter pre-med and haven't really done anything unusual/diverse/interesting, then super-high scores can compensate, or you can shoot for schools like WashU that clearly weigh numbers very heavily. But even if you turn a 34 into a 40, they'll still see both of them. Taking a year off for one number, that's already good enough to matriculate? Well, I'd raise an eyebrow to that.

I agree. You'll be asked about the year off and this is NOT an acceptable reason.

Taking a later MCAT will put you at a disadvantage. Sure you will receive some secondaries, but you will not be complete until the schools receive the second set of scores. Happened to me (granted my numbers were lower than yours, but the same thing applies).

I received my scores on Tuesday, like you. I had received 7 secondaries and two emails saying I would receive a secondary after my MCAT scores were posted. I completed all secondaries that were sent but remained incomplete until yesterday and today. The schools are just now looking at my application.

I still am early in the game so it shouldn't affect me too much. However, retaking in September would put you at not being complete until October. You would be complete after multiple interviews and acceptances have been given out. Essentially you would have shot yourself in your foot. No matter when you submitted your primary, you would be held up because of your late pending MCAT score. A 34S is still a good score. That is in the top 90th percentile, right? I got a 32R and I am in the 83th to 87th percentile which is pretty good.

My advice, don't retake. You have a higher chance of getting in with the 34 and being early than a 38 and being late. Plus, there is always the chance your score goes down.
I Think that he/she is joking.... He/she posted just to get people ranting.

:( I didn't post to just get people talking. Please understand that my score went down around 4-5 points from my practice test average, and that my score isn't exactly congruent with my GPA either. I wouldn't consider myself cookie-cutter premed, but I am Asian and that doesn't help me much... either way, I am leaning towards not retaking and instead focusing on having some killer secondary essays.

Hi, I see you guys are all sharing your two cents about people debating about their scores.

I got a 29 on the MCAT and I have almost a 3.9 GPA. On my practice tests I was averaging higher more lilke 31-32 and the sections I did the worst on on the MCAt was typically my best section. I got a 9 when i usally get a 11 on bio. Should I retake or can I get into MD schools still.

I have a good personal statement and pretty good EC's

Taking the exam again on Aug 10. I know it's very risky, but really need to get my MCAT score for this cycle. I started studying yesterday, mostly the Verbal part coz that's my waterloo. Anyone care to share their secret to doing well in Verbal? Thanks much!

I'm not sure if there's a good way to "cram" verbal. I scored pretty well in it but it may be due to the fact that I do a lot of research and have done a lot of critique-type exercises on scientific literature. I would recommend reading and thinking critically about journal articles to help get you thinking about what things really mean. All you have to do to succeed is be logical.

It might be worth your while to take one of the practice MCATs and see if there is a certain area that is your downfall. I know overgeneralizing was one of my biggest pitfalls and I had to check myself on exam day to ask myself, "can you really come to that conclusion with this limited piece of information?" If the answer is no, it's probably not the right answer. Be critical of the options and challenge them all. One of them will hold up where others fail.

Also keep an eye on the time. I budgeted ~10 min per passage and then found out that the harder passages were at the end. Doh!