**** The Official LECOM Bradenton Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

In-State or Out-of-State, New or Re-applicant

• In-state

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • Out-of-State

Votes: 112 67.1%
  • New Applicant

Votes: 68 40.7%
  • Re-applicant

Votes: 36 21.6%

• Total voters
Great school, but I got in my state school, good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea of the 4 year total cost of attendance here? I know the sheet they gave us said around 85K for the first year, however does that number decrease as we progress to 2nd and 3rd year and so forth? Also, if I recall I remember them mentioning that for the 4th year we will not be on campus but elsewhere working clinical. Would that year also require tuition payments?

Any idea of the 4 year total cost of attendance here? I know the sheet they gave us said around 85K for the first year, however does that number decrease as we progress to 2nd and 3rd year and so forth? Also, if I recall I remember them mentioning that for the 4th year we will not be on campus but elsewhere working clinical. Would that year also require tuition payments?

Well I know the fourth year still requires tuition, but I too have been wondering what the projected costs are going to be for the other years. It will make a big difference if the costs are going to be a little less than the first year vs. skyrocketing to 100k+ for the those three years.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's uber important for those of you not accepting the offer at LECOM to email Stephanie ASAP officially declining the offer. There are many students "on deck" that are waiting for your spot if you're giving it up. This come as a request from those at LECOM directly.

I'm currently on deck waiting for my first acceptance. Please withdraw if you feel the school is not right for you

Accepted but will be deferring to another school
GPA 3.72
AA 19
OS 20
PAT 19

for those waiting for LECOM, i advise you guys check your LECOM portal! Click on admissions tab and left side click on "ADMISSIONS STATUS" NOT "your admissions status". Last you need to click on "View Admissions Status (Blue link)" and you should see this (if you are lucky)

it says:
Congratulations, you have been scheduled for an interview at LECOM Bradenton. You will receive an email 10 days prior to your scheduled interview to reconfirm your attendance.

I haven't received an email regarding the dates of the interview or anything related.
again my stats are 3.4 sgpa 3.5 oGPA 20AA 21 PAT 20 TS 16 RC. I did many mission trips giving free dental care, research (no publications), organic TA, taught organic 1/2, and shadowed general dentist/orthodontist. Never lose Hope :xf:!
Under view Admissions status it says:

"There was a problem updating data from the stage_history_tran table: Object cannot be cast from DBNull to other types."

Any body else receiving this?

Under view Admissions status it says:

"There was a problem updating data from the stage_history_tran table: Object cannot be cast from DBNull to other types."

Any body else receiving this?

Nope, mine still says they made a decision and i will receive a letter in the mail. Still hoping for an acceptance from this school.

Yup. My portal has the same error in red font. It's been like that since I completed my secondary and I've already interviewed.

I dont have that red font. Mine is still blank on admissions status

Aznboi- according to Ms. Quilichini, a blank status is a good thing. Just keep holding patient. If you've interviewed and have a blank status, you're in a pretty good position. Just keep optimistic.

Aznboi- according to Ms. Quilichini, a blank status is a good thing. Just keep holding patient. If you've interviewed and have a blank status, you're in a pretty good position. Just keep optimistic.

How is a blank status better than a "decision has been made, you will receive a letter within 30 days" because that could either be an acceptance or waitlist.

She told us that no acceptance with decision has been made is a usually waitlist or rejection. Blank is alternate or in "good standing".
Called many times to confirm this. Did u ever called stephanie?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
She told us that no acceptance with decision has been made is a usually waitlist or rejection. Blank is alternate or in "good standing".
Called many times to confirm this. Did u ever called stephanie?

I never called her. I just remember her email said that this first batch of mailing will either be an acceptance (which I never got the email for) or for alternate. If you don't receive anything it means they are still deciding. I figured an alternate is better than no decision? Also waitlist and alternate are the same thing correct?

I never called her. I just remember her email said that this first batch of mailing will either be an acceptance (which I never got the email for) or for alternate. If you don't receive anything it means they are still deciding. I figured an alternate is better than no decision? Also waitlist and alternate are the same thing correct?

that's the key to all this: wait list and alternate are not the same. getting a letter without an acceptance email means they have in fact either decided to wait list or reject you and if my understanding is correct people aren't pulled from the wait list until they are done interviewing people (march?), whereas no acceptance email and no letter means you're an alternate and being looked at for the january acceptance wave, potentially...you could still get wait listed or rejected in january, depending on the number of people who take their december offer

that's the key to all this: wait list and alternate are not the same. getting a letter without an acceptance email means they have in fact either decided to wait list or reject you and if my understanding is correct people aren't pulled from the wait list until they are done interviewing people (march?), whereas no acceptance email and no letter means you're an alternate and being looked at for the january acceptance wave, potentially...you could still get wait listed or rejected in january, depending on the number of people who take their december offer

I think some schools use waitlist and alternate list interchangeably. I am just not sure how LECOM does it though but I guess waiting is the only way to find out unfortunately lol

I think some schools use waitlist and alternate list interchangeably. I am just not sure how LECOM does it though but I guess waiting is the only way to find out unfortunately lol

yeah, some schools do. i don't think lecom has actually used the word 'alternate,' but that's how i compartmentalize the groups in my head since it appears the groups are different

I have the status "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." as well.

Congrats to all who got in! And we'll see what they mean by their official letter, I'll keep everybody posted if I hear anything!

Although, it might be a while for me because I'm on the other side of the country, so the delivery will perhaps be a bit longer, hah

Sooo, I got the official letter they were talking about (within 5 days)...and, it was a rejection from LECOM, not a waitlist or anything. Which was a tad surprising, because I thought the interview went off decently (I never liked to comment on how I felt about the interview, because I obviously didn't know if I'd get in or not, and that would be a successful interview, I'd say--one in which admission was granted).

It's okay though, I really hope the applicants who truly want to attend LECOM are granted admission!

Best of luck to you all :)

I got an email from Stephanie and my status is still blank....apparently it's favorable because I am not going to get rejected for sure...so I'm either accepted or alternate

Last edited:
does LECOM grant scholarships?

In my interview...they said all their students get scholarships ranging from $1000 to $5000
Also they have scholarship opportunities for those who want to be a student ambassador

While its really not a lot of money....I guess it's better than nothing *shrugs*

Sooo, I got the official letter they were talking about (within 5 days)...and, it was a rejection from LECOM, not a waitlist or anything. Which was a tad surprising, because I thought the interview went off decently (I never liked to comment on how I felt about the interview, because I obviously didn't know if I'd get in or not, and that would be a successful interview, I'd say--one in which admission was granted).

It's okay though, I really hope the applicants who truly want to attend LECOM are granted admission!

Best of luck to you all :)

Well heck now you have me worried and I won't be back to school to check my mail for another couple of days. Has anybody else received a letter in the mail saying they were waitlisted or alternate list?

Well heck now you have me worried and I won't be back to school to check my mail for another couple of days. Has anybody else received a letter in the mail saying they were waitlisted or alternate list?

Hey, I just checked my LECOM portal, too, in case they post anything there, but unfortunately they didn't. :-/

I was hoping they had so then you could check on that and not wait to check your mail at school, but they didn't update anything (which woulda been easier for all applicants...)

Don't worry though, really hoping your situation is nothing like mine. I think some were selected for waitlist/alternative, too.

Good luck! :)

Hey, I just checked my LECOM portal, too, in case they post anything there, but unfortunately they didn't. :-/

I was hoping they had so then you could check on that and not wait to check your mail at school, but they didn't update anything (which woulda been easier for all applicants...)

Don't worry though, really hoping your situation is nothing like mine. I think some were selected for waitlist/alternative, too.

Good luck! :)

Yeah her email said only people who got an acceptance or alternate would get a letter in the mail. But good luck at your other schools, it only takes one!

I received a letter today that says I am an alternate and have the "the committee has made a...." status on their portal. So I believe they only use the world alternate and based on the status on the LECOM portal you can predict when you will get a definitive answer about your status. Just my thoughts. I don't think they use the word wait list.

For the people who have had interviews already, I was wondering if you could give some pointers and/or suggestions for the interview. Also, if you remember any of the specific interview questions can you please post them? I re-took my DAT late September so I got into the game a little later than I wanted, but am still hopeful to snag an acceptance at one of the 3 interviews I have.

I have the LECOM interview December 14th and I have heard it was pretty laid back, but I don't want to take the interview for granted. I definitely don't want to be that person that talks the whole time or talks over everyone, but I do want to make sure I am not over looked. Thanks for any advice and good luck to everyone!

AA 20 | TS 21 | PAT 21 | RC 21
Undergrad: 3.1
Master's: 4.0
Future interviews: LECOM, NOVA, UNLV

Regarding this group interview thing:

Make sure you walk in confident during your group interview. This is the only school that made me realize just how poor some applicants are, regardless of stats, are at interviewing. I'm not trying to be mean about it, but I had some people in my group that stuttered over the questions "Why PBL? What are the pros and cons you see with a PBL curriculum?"

It's sort of expect that you have a general idea of what they're going to ask and rehearse with some bullet points you want to hit when you present your answer about a minute or so each person. Some of the applicants were very eloquent and just blew the interviewers away. Others? Not so much. I think there's a fear factor involved in this - the applicants who went last were the ones who were afraid to be the first ones to answer, and when their turns inevitably came, I saw some profuse sweating and minutes of aimless rambling with filler words. It's really no laughing matter, but I felt really sorry for them.

In a way group interview can really help you to gauge yourself and see how you are in being precise, concise and eloquent in your answers. It can also break you, if you are easily affected by pressure. I also saw some students there with LECOM as their only interview. It's a good idea to not blow it if it's your only chance. Nobody cares if you're a introvert and just can't do public speaking. Your interview isn't a good time to be all shy. Hopefully this helps some folks out there. The questions I remember from the interview:

1) Tell us about yourself. A few things that'll make us remember who you are.

2) What types of volunteer experiences have you done that involved under served areas and how did you feel interacting with them?

3) Have you had experiences with PBL? If so, like what? We do PBL here and what are some of the pros and cons that you see with PBL?

4) Why do you want dentistry?

Here are some questions someone was kind enough to post, you can find them on page 4 of this forum. I also have an interview on the 14th so I will see you there! I am very excited, this is my number 1 school

For the people who have had interviews already, I was wondering if you could give some pointers and/or suggestions for the interview. Also, if you remember any of the specific interview questions can you please post them? I re-took my DAT late September so I got into the game a little later than I wanted, but am still hopeful to snag an acceptance at one of the 3 interviews I have.

I have the LECOM interview December 14th and I have heard it was pretty laid back, but I don't want to take the interview for granted. I definitely don't want to be that person that talks the whole time or talks over everyone, but I do want to make sure I am not over looked. Thanks for any advice and good luck to everyone!

AA 20 | TS 21 | PAT 21 | RC 21
Undergrad: 3.1
Master's: 4.0
Future interviews: LECOM, NOVA, UNLV
I received an acceptance and my main advice would be:

1. Have a really good answer to why you like PBL. If you do not like PBL, do not even bother interviewing because they can tell when people are not being honest (this happened to one of the other 6 students in my group interview)

2. Make sure you emphasize your volunteer experience/work with underserved communities (ESP if its related to dentistry but it can be something else as well)

3. Be the first one to answer at least one question (not in a pushy way but in a decisive way)

4. Be the last person to answer at least one question

5. When other interviewees are talking in the group interview, be sure to listen and nod. A lot of the interview is the faculty asking a question and then everyone takes turns answering. You do not want to be the one that only responds in order, it is better to refer to what another interviewee was saying as a sort of preface to your answer. For instance, lets say someone was talking about their experience shadowing a dentist, when they finish speaking it is a good idea to start with: "I had a similar first shadowing experience as (interviewee's name), at Dr. _________ office, I found that I most enjoyed......"

6. Lastly, when everyone introduces themselves at the beginning of the interview, remember their names and as I mentioned above, reference them when you are speaking. This will show that you are very inclusive, respectful, and willing to work in a team

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user

1. Have a really good answer to why you like PBL. If you do not like PBL, do not even bother interviewing because they can tell when people are not being honest (this happened to one of the other 6 students in my group interview)

2. Make sure you emphasize your volunteer experience/work with underserved communities (ESP if its related to dentistry but it can be something else as well)

3. Be the first one to answer at least one question (not in a pushy way but in a decisive way)

5. When other interviewees are talking in the group interview, be sure to listen and nod. A lot of the interview is the faculty asking a question and then everyone takes turns answering. You do not want to be the one that only responds in order, it is better to refer to what another interviewee was saying as a sort of preface to your answer. For instance, lets say someone was talking about their experience shadowing a dentist, when they finish speaking it is a good idea to start with: "I had a similar first shadowing experience as (interviewee's name), at Dr. _________ office, I found that I most enjoyed......"

6. Lastly, when everyone introduces themselves at the beginning of the interview, remember their names and as I mentioned above, reference them when you are speaking. This will show that you are very inclusive, respectful, and willing to work in a team

Good Luck!

I was accepted as well and I could not of said this any better. Good job.

Good Luck!
Oh my this is fantastic advice. Thank you!!! :)

(I know this is your top 6 but if you have any other pieces of advice it would be much appreciated). :D

Got my alternate letter in the mail, really hoping for an acceptance.

Haven't received an email or snail mail. Interviewed pre-dec. My status says the following:

"Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made."

What does this mean? 0_0

Haven't received an email or snail mail. Interviewed pre-dec. My status says the following:

"Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made."

What does this mean? 0_0

Just means they are still considering your application. Not a good thing or bad thing really because people are receiving rejections right now as well. It will probably be updated at the beginning or January when they see how many people have filled the class so far.

What does this mean? 0_0

Well we are either alternate or accepted so its a good thing...guaranteed we are not rejected
I called her to confirm :)

I had a blank status on dec 3 and i checked today and saw it changed to : Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made.

stephanie told me i was in a favorable position since I had a blank status.

anyone got the changed status?

I had a blank status on dec 3 and i checked today and saw it changed to : Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made.

stephanie told me i was in a favorable position since I had a blank status.

anyone got the changed status?

i think all the blank portals switched to this today. i have it too

anyone have an idea of where they are going/would like to live?

I've been on craigslist everyday looking haha

Hey, when I interviewed there, they had a huge pamphlet of all the different potential housing in the area! I'd probably email Stephanie Quilichini if she can recommend a couple of neighborhoods or apartment complexes to look into--there are some really nice places out there!

Good luck. :)

I am having the same problem, but I am buying a house. From what I have found, the further you move inland, the newer the area is. If you are looking for an apartment, try an apartment finder. They would know the area well, and they usually have incentives if you use them. plus its a free service. Local realtors would also know.

Or, even the newspapers in the area would have listings available

Hey everyone,

I was accepted Dec. 3rd at 9:17am eastern time! So happy, I literally was checking my email from 5am until my immunology final at 9am. I got out of my test around 10:30am and saw that I had one new email and it was the acceptance! I was screaming down the halls! It was an amazing moment with all my friends from school. Literally on a natural high for the next 72 hours. lol

This is the only school I've been accepted to but it's my number one choice. I went to the open house over the summer and fell in love with the school. The faculty is amazing! Everyone wants you to be successful and everyone is very approachable. Having all the extra clinical hours is also a huge plus. PBL sounds daunting but I think sitting in a lecture hall from 8-5pm 5 days a week is scary. Everyone learns and adapts differently. A bunch of the first year students do plan on specializing so the option isn't gone but the dean does try to produce general dentists. It is a new program so you will be on the learning curve along with them. I think that is kinda neat though. The first year class is already making a bunch of changes so our time will be better.

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted! Good luck to all of you applying and hoping for a spot in this amazing school!

Thanks

-Matthew

Reactions: 1 user
Received a rejection via snail mail that's dated 12/13 :(

I'm really upset because it's my top choice and I thought they would at least wait until I can send my grades in for this semester since I'm currently in a master's program.

I guess from here I'll contact the school and ask to speak to someone who can give me further guidance for what I can do to improve my application. I'm so determined to go to LECOM.

Man, I'm really disappointed. Good luck to all of you and hopefully you hear better news! :thumbup:

Received a rejection via snail mail that's dated 12/13 :(

I'm really upset because it's my top choice and I thought they would at least wait until I can send my grades in for this semester since I'm currently in a master's program. :

if i was you, i would call them after your academic update has been verified with your transcripts and see if they'd be willing to take another look now. can't hurt

if i was you, i would call them after your academic update has been verified with your transcripts and see if they'd be willing to take another look now. can't hurt

Thanks for the advice, calid! I definitely will because I can't believe they'd reject someone when they know they're currently in a master's program... but they have no idea what my grades are for the semester! And also no update as far as ECs etc go... I was waiting to send it with my grades! My classes just ended and final grades are going to be up this week so I will most definitely be giving them a call and seeing if I can give them unofficial transcripts (and obviously official once available). :xf:

With an interview in Jan... what are the odds of it developing into an acceptance? Does LECOM still have seats left or am I basically interviewing for their waitlist?

With an interview in Jan... what are the odds of it developing into an acceptance? Does LECOM still have seats left or am I basically interviewing for their waitlist?

The interviewed applicants until around April last year. I don't think they will waste their time or money to interview applicants if it is only for a waitlist position. But, that is just my line of reasoning. Good luck on your interview....