*** The Official Maryland Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you send a letter of intent or just patiently waited? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I sent the letter a long time ago then got waitlisted last month. I guess there were a few spots open up after April 1St deadline =)

Reactions: 1 user
:)

Last edited:
Email notification yesterday afternoon. Official letter will be mailed out this week as well
Hey, Congratulations!!!!!
When was the deadline that they gave you to make the deposit? Thanks.

When was the date that AADSAS will report to schools all students holding multiple seats?

Hey guys, I just received my financial award and I want to be smart about how much I take from my Grad PLUS. How are you guys going to cut corners? Is there a current student that can give or share some knowledge?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just received my financial award and I want to be smart about how much I take from my Grad PLUS. How are you guys going to cut corners? Is there a current student that can give share some knowledge

How were you notified about the financial award? Also interested in knowing the answer to your question.

How were you notified about the financial award? Also interested in knowing the answer to your question.

Got an e-mail early this morning!

Rejected by mail (finally). Interviewed in November.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected by mail (finally). Interviewed in November.
Wow about damn time... I wonder if a polar bear intercepted my rejection letter

Hey guys, I just received my financial award and I want to be smart about how much I take from my Grad PLUS. How are you guys going to cut corners? Is there a current student that can give or share some knowledge?

Thanks in advance!

I will be rejecting all of my loans... but I can tell you dont buy books! People tell me they never used em!

Can any current students relate which expenses are easy to cut out of the budget from the Financial Award page? I know that hospitalization insurance and books are easy to cut, but what about central materials service, breakage fees, computer fees, uniforms and vaccines?

Reactions: 3 users
Can any current students relate which expenses are easy to cut out of the budget from the Financial Award page? I know that hospitalization insurance and books are easy to cut, but what about central materials service, breakage fees, computer fees, uniforms and vaccines?
will you let me know when you find out?

After comparing the financial information on between what is listed on SURFs verses what is listed on the Student Accounting section on Maryland's website I am a little confused about the discrepancy between the cost of tuition listed on each. The Maryland website lists the non resident dental tuition at a little over 30K between fall 2015 and spring 2016 semester, yet the estimated tuition cost for a nonresident listed on SURFs for fall 2016 to spring 2017 is about twice of whats listed in the student accounting section. While I understand these are to different years I would not expect this drastic of a price difference from year to year so which one reflects more of what to expect as far as first year tuition?

After comparing the financial information on between what is listed on SURFs verses what is listed on the Student Accounting section on Maryland's website I am a little confused about the discrepancy between the cost of tuition listed on each. The Maryland website lists the non resident dental tuition at a little over 30K between fall 2015 and spring 2016 semester, yet the estimated tuition cost for a nonresident listed on SURFs for fall 2016 to spring 2017 is about twice of whats listed in the student accounting section. While I understand these are to different years I would not expect this drastic of a price difference from year to year so which one reflects more of what to expect as far as first year tuition?
I believe the two sites split the tuition costs in different ways. The tuition cost you'll see under the Maryland website is for semester, so 30k for fall 2015 and 30k for spring 2015. Under Maryland's SURF site, that total cost of attendance is for the whole year. So when you see 62K for tuition on the SURFs site, that is for fall 2016 and spring 2017. Hope this helps!

If you are instate, you can avoid taking out too much. Fees you will need: tuition (obviously), central materials fee, breakage fee, uniforms, instruments, malpractice insurance, general fees, loan fees (Stafford and/or PLUS)

Books/supplies: this is an estimate. WAIT TO BUY BOOKS! D2 students will sell you books cheap in August

Rent: varies depending where you live (message me for recommendations or that can be a separate post later)

Transportation: another estimate, depending on your commute, whether you have a car, etc.

Vaccines: you can usually avoid this if you complete everything beforehand, but it is only $12. The immunization requirements are available on the Student health website. Get that ready sooner rather than later if needed.

Computer fee: I would get a new computer (pc versus Mac is your preference, but know most of the clinic programs requine windows), so this varies.

D1 year can be the most expensive and you should count at least 1k for loupes, a few hundred for scrubs and random books, etc. Plus the overall living thing so you don't die of starvation :)

Reactions: 1 users
I believe the two sites split the tuition costs in different ways. The tuition cost you'll see under the Maryland website is for semester, so 30k for fall 2015 and 30k for spring 2015. Under Maryland's SURF site, that total cost of attendance is for the whole year. So when you see 62K for tuition on the SURFs site, that is for fall 2016 and spring 2017. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the clarification. I totally missed the per semester disclaimer on the Maryland website. My eyes read 2015 fall and 2016 spring and ran with it lol. The tuition cost listed on SURFS is a lot closer to what other schools that I have visited were charging so it makes perfect sense. I wouldn't have been upset about 30k for the first year as a non resident though lol It would have been the tuition deal of a life time...:unsure:

Any pre-December interviewees that still have not heard anything?

What resources are you guys/gals using to look for housing? I'd like to start comparing prices between school affiliated housing and off campus options.

What resources are you guys/gals using to look for housing? I'd like to start comparing prices between school affiliated housing and off campus options.
UMB Classifieds is a great resource for off campus options! :D

UMB Classifieds is a great resource for off campus options! :D
Emphasizing this. Also JOIN YOUR CLASS FACEBOOK PAGE as current students will post there. There are houses that are passed from one dental student to the next for years

Accepted off the waitlist today!! Just got a call from Dr. Porter!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are any girls thinking about living in the Redwood? One of my friends (current D1) will probably have a vacancy. 2 bedroom, 2 bath. Common areas are furnished. Available room has private bathroom attached to it. Message me if interested

Do you think there is any chance of the wait list still moving?

If you are instate, you can avoid taking out too much. Fees you will need: tuition (obviously), central materials fee, breakage fee, uniforms, instruments, malpractice insurance, general fees, loan fees (Stafford and/or PLUS)

Books/supplies: this is an estimate. WAIT TO BUY BOOKS! D2 students will sell you books cheap in August

Rent: varies depending where you live (message me for recommendations or that can be a separate post later)

Transportation: another estimate, depending on your commute, whether you have a car, etc.

Vaccines: you can usually avoid this if you complete everything beforehand, but it is only $12. The immunization requirements are available on the Student health website. Get that ready sooner rather than later if needed.

Computer fee: I would get a new computer (pc versus Mac is your preference, but know most of the clinic programs requine windows), so this varies.

D1 year can be the most expensive and you should count at least 1k for loupes, a few hundred for scrubs and random books, etc. Plus the overall living thing so you don't die of starvation :)

Thank you so much for this!!

May I ask whether the hospitalization insurance is necessary?o_O

anyone else having trouble watching the videos on the HIPAA slideshow?

anyone else having trouble watching the videos on the HIPAA slideshow?
Yes, I did have problems watching the videos on my phone or tablet but it worked when I used a laptop. Also try using internet explorer

Are any girls thinking about living in the Redwood? One of my friends (current D1) will probably have a vacancy. 2 bedroom, 2 bath. Common areas are furnished. Available room has private bathroom attached to it. Message me if interested
Is it still available?

Luckily it was submitted before my interview. No I don't think anyone in my interview group did the video.

I got the secondary last Thrusday also but I do not have a bio letter of rec but a biochem, do you think that would count as bio??

I got the secondary last Thrusday also but I do not have a bio letter of rec but a biochem, do you think that would count as bio??

This is last year's thread, but to answer your question I believe it will work. I spoke with someone in admissions and they said biochem will cover this.

hi,

So University of Maryland never asked for your consent for a background check once you've been accepted? Did they conduct one anytime after you've started class?

Thank you for your help

Maryland does not require background checks, but you should be honest about any and all issues. Otherwise you will meet with Student Affairs to discuss whatever comes up. When you apply for a license, you do have to note things from your past. Some volunteer opportunities, especially those with children, require background checks.

@umbtoothfairy jw when does the summer reasearch program for incoming D1s start? do students generally have other opportunities/time to get involved with research during their time at maryland?
thank you for answering all of our questions on sdn btw!

@Dr5paceman I am not sure to be completely honest! I am personally more into reading the results versus performing it myself. A ton of students do research during school year and especially over the summers. Some people start first year, others later one. You do get academic credit for it I believe