*The Official May 6th, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannySCR

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to see who's with me in fighting this beast on May 6th. This could be a great place to help each other out, be it through study tips, mnemonics, or simply relieving stress. Nice to meet you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah.

Regarding scores, remember statistics are statistics. 50% of test takers get above 500 and 50% of test takers get below 500.

What you see posted on sdn/reddit really has no meaning and is clearly heavily biased.

This intimidates me. I have studied over 300 hours and I am sure many others have put in similar time, and so I have no idea if a 500 could end up meaning you need to get 70% right in each section to just get a 125..i dont really know how AAMC scales it

Could be that you need 98% correct, could be that you need 40% correct. It will depend on the specific questions you get.
True, true.. Any chance you know what equaled a 130 on the scored FL? Trying to get an idea of how far I am from my goal... I got a 129 on both bio and psych, which equaled about 50-51/59. Also paranoid that I just got lucky. :nailbiting:

True, true.. Any chance you know what equaled a 130 on the scored FL? Trying to get an idea of how far I am from my goal... I got a 129 on both bio and psych, which equaled about 50-51/59. Also paranoid that I just got lucky. :nailbiting:

I had 54/59 on both for 130 (I might be on the higher end of 130 though)

Members don't see this ad :)

I had:
48/53 = 91% = 130 on CARS
52/59 = 88% = 130 on B/B

Don't know about the other sections.

I had:
48/53 = 91% = 130 on CARS
52/59 = 88% = 130 on B/B

Don't know about the other sections.
That makes me feel better, thank you.

That CARS score though..... :horns: Any advice? I was doing well in CARS but my score dropped tremendously on the scored AAMC (I think because I was so focused on all the other subjects and just completely neglected CARS. That and I thought I totally failed C/P so I was freaking out half the time while taking CARS). What material did you use to prep for CARS? Do you read the passages? Do you skip passages? I get really pressured for time during CARS and start freaking out about 5-6 passages into it.. :(

That makes me feel better, thank you.

That CARS score though..... :horns: Any advice? I was doing well in CARS but my score dropped tremendously on the scored AAMC (I think because I was so focused on all the other subjects and just completely neglected CARS. That and I thought I totally failed C/P so I was freaking out half the time while taking CARS). What material did you use to prep for CARS? Do you read the passages? Do you skip passages? I get really pressured for time during CARS and start freaking out about 5-6 passages into it.. :(

I didn't really do much specific CARS practice - I did all of the Khan passages, maybe 1/2 of Next Step Strategy and Practice, and the QPacks. My scores have pretty much been the same since I started. I've done all of my passages with a timer so maybe that helps me intuitively know when I need to speed up or when I can take my time.

I read the passages all the way through, then look at the questions. I've been making extensive use of the highlight function, which I think helps me stay on track better. I just highlight pretty much anything important as I go along. This helps reduce spacing out. I don't think this is the optimal way to approach CARS, but it works well enough for me and I'm not going to change it at this point. Different things will work better for different people.

I skip passages all the time. If I hit a dense passage (especially the philosophy ones), I'll usually skip it and come back at the end. I try to make the call ASAP on whether I'm going to skip or tough it out. Reading halfway through a difficult passage and then giving up wastes a ton of time as opposed to just skipping it right off the bat. You also waste time "re-orienting" yourself when you come back to a passage, so it's best to have not invested anything in it.

Is anyone else feeling like a ball of stress? I just feel like there's so much I don't know! But, I also know the MCAT tests reasoning way more than memorizing (which is comforting (?)).

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't really do much specific CARS practice - I did all of the Khan passages, maybe 1/2 of Next Step Strategy and Practice, and the QPacks. My scores have pretty much been the same since I started. I've done all of my passages with a timer so maybe that helps me intuitively know when I need to speed up or when I can take my time.

I read the passages all the way through, then look at the questions. I've been making extensive use of the highlight function, which I think helps me stay on track better. I just highlight pretty much anything important as I go along. This helps reduce spacing out. I don't think this is the optimal way to approach CARS, but it works well enough for me and I'm not going to change it at this point. Different things will work better for different people.

I skip passages all the time. If I hit a dense passage (especially the philosophy ones), I'll usually skip it and come back at the end. I try to make the call ASAP on whether I'm going to skip or tough it out. Reading halfway through a difficult passage and then giving up wastes a ton of time as opposed to just skipping it right off the bat. You also waste time "re-orienting" yourself when you come back to a passage, so it's best to have not invested anything in it.
Gotchya... I really should start skipping passages. I didn't used to because in the past old CARS passages can be really hard but I can do really well on it even if I felt like I couldn't understand it but I think the new CARS passages are a little more straight forward and predictable in terms of the difficulty. Definitely going to try skipping over the more difficult passages. I could have definitely done that on a few passages on the FL. Thank you for your input!!

Is anyone else feeling like a ball of stress? I just feel like there's so much I don't know! But, I also know the MCAT tests reasoning way more than memorizing (which is comforting (?)).
For real... And yet stressing out is probably what compromises our abilities to reason during the exam. I know I'll be taking a lot of 5 second breaks to catch my breath in hopes of not completely breaking down, despite my fairly solid content knowledge. :(

Not religious but I love church hymns. Searching for a good recording on Youtube, I stumbled upon this video by accident and couldn't resist the irony...

Gentlemen, it has been a privilege studying with you.

Reactions: 1 user
Gotchya... I really should start skipping passages. I didn't used to because in the past old CARS passages can be really hard but I can do really well on it even if I felt like I couldn't understand it but I think the new CARS passages are a little more straight forward and predictable in terms of the difficulty. Definitely going to try skipping over the more difficult passages. I could have definitely done that on a few passages on the FL. Thank you for your input!!

Do what you want.. but the conventional wisdom is that a hard passage to read will generally have easier questions while an easier passage to read while have harder questions. For that reasoning, in addition to each question being worth the same amount of points, you shouldn't skip a passage out of paranoia that it will be more difficult.

My main methods are concentrating incredibly hard to read each passage without losing focus to glance at questions while not having any bias towards the material and focusing on what the authors attitude toward their subject is. Most of the questions in CARS end up essentially being: would the author support this statement or be opposed to it. That's a large majority of their question material, sometimes they will reference a specific example and ask you to interpret, in which case you can go back to the passage and recall it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do what you want.. but the conventional wisdom is that a hard passage to read will generally have easier questions while an easier passage to read while have harder questions. For that reasoning, in addition to each question being worth the same amount of points, you shouldn't skip a passage out of paranoia that it will be more difficult.

My main methods are concentrating incredibly hard to read each passage without losing focus to glance at questions while not having any bias towards the material and focusing on what the authors attitude toward their subject is. Most of the questions in CARS end up essentially being: would the author support this statement or be opposed to it. That's a large majority of their question material, sometimes they will reference a specific example and ask you to interpret, in which case you can go back to the passage and recall it.

Of course I'm not recommending leaving a passage unanswered. I just think it's smart to save the tough passages for last. That way you can budget your time better. Feels bad man to spend a ton of time on a hard passage, maybe still not get the questions right, and then not have enough time to properly go through passages that you otherwise should have crushed easily if you didn't have to rush.

I would suggest everyone slow their studying pace and make sure you adjust your mindset as we approach the last two days...it is the single most important thing you can do going into Friday and the thing I failed to do on 4/23.

Watching April 1st reactions and I am terrified on that CARS section. The lowest section in most of the takers and it's my weakest section. Oh well, I definitely need a bunch of luck and interesting passages on Test Day so I can maybe scratch a 124

Guys I'm getting so burned out.. Just 2 more days of studying yet so much can be accomplished in 2 days. I'm trying hard to not get distracted by how everyone else is doing. Stay focused guys, we're almost there.

Watching April 1st reactions and I am terrified on that CARS section. The lowest section in most of the takers and it's my weakest section. Oh well, I definitely need a bunch of luck and interesting passages on Test Day so I can maybe scratch a 124
hi cars brother lol; i'm from a french speaking country originally and the language in some of those passages got me questioning my whole existence lol; hopefully we can get 125 at the very least to say we tried

I would suggest everyone slow their studying pace and make sure you adjust your mindset as we approach the last two days...it is the single most important thing you can do going into Friday and the thing I failed to do on 4/23.

I usually study 5 hrs a day, even today. Should I cut that in half these next two days then..?

Okay does anybody remember the STN passage on the scored test?

spoiler
I usually study 5 hrs a day, even today. Should I cut that in half these next two days then..?
Up to you. I've personally been doing full 8-10 hour days for the past week because I personally don't want to walk out of the test feeling like I haven't given it my all. But if you feel ready and at this point the test is only a few days away it probably wouldn't make that big of a difference.

Yes, screw that passage IMO!
Oops I meant to delete that. I was going to ask something but then I realized why I missed the question. Sorry! (I forgot that non-polar molecules can diffuse through the PM, not just small non-polar molecules... :bang:)

Not religious but I love church hymns. Searching for a good recording on Youtube, I stumbled upon this video by accident and couldn't resist the irony...

Gentlemen, it has been a privilege studying with you.

Not really a church hymn, but this is my favorite hymn of all:

Anyone have thoughts on last-minute prep? Should I review content for my known weak areas, or do practice problems (I never did the OG questions, and still have a few from the SB)?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not really a church hymn, but this is my favorite hymn of all:

One of my favorites too. Goose bumps every single time!

Anyone have thoughts on last-minute prep? Should I review content for my known weak areas, or do practice problems (I never did the OG questions, and still have a few from the SB)?

I think one should try to get through all the official AAMC content.

I would review weaker areas. You've done practice tests- review those and work on why you got things wrong.

What are you guys planning on bringing for the lunch break?

Just a sandwich. Then maybe some chips and hummus, coffee, and water as a snack.
I'm going to make sure I have a dinner full of whole grains and leafy greens the night before.

Just a sandwich. Then maybe some chips and hummus, coffee, and water as a snack.
I'm going to make sure I have a dinner full of whole grains and leafy greens the night before.

Are you afraid of pooping during the test? I'm waking up at 0500 to ensure I have my morning poop after my strong coffee. I had to poop during my FL yesterday and now it's a real concern lol.

I have mixed nuts on the list right now, not sure what else, but I know I need to be full. I skipped the break yesterday on my FL (skipped lunch basically) and did not have any concentration left.

Reactions: 1 users
Chicken, rice, starbucks frappucino, vanilla energy bar, and chocolate covered espresso beans. gonna also have one cup of coffee in the morning along with cereal and eggs.

Are you afraid of pooping during the test? I'm waking up at 0500 to ensure I have my morning poop after my strong coffee. I had to poop during my FL yesterday and now it's a real concern lol.
Definitely but I think I'll need the pick-me up, and it's probably too late to start experimenting with other supplements. My plan is to drink it during the beginning of lunch break, so if I gotta drop a hot one, I'm not rushing to squeeze it out as time ticks away.

I'm bringing a small portion of pasta, don't know if it's a good idea or not
I am planning on bringing several energy bars and water. I have very sensitive digestive system, don't wanna poo during the test :-/

My fear is having to pee. I ran the Chicago Marathon last October and lost all bladder control as soon as I crossed the finish line. Forever traumatized about having to pee now.

I'm bringing a PB&J, Chocolate Chips Cliff Bars, dark chocolate bar, nuts, Sunchips, and goldfish. I figure I'll go with intuitive eating on test day.

Besides food, I'm deeply debating what to wear. How many layers do I wear? Do I aim to be slightly cold to concentrate more? Haha. I just want to show up in my pajamas.

I forgot where I read this, but some testing centers are strict about outerwear, as in they don't allow jackets in the testing room. I hope a hoodie is reasonable. Apparently it's going to rain where I am on Friday, so I'll need to wear one anyway.

I forgot where I read this, but some testing centers are strict about outerwear, as in they don't allow jackets in the testing room. I hope a hoodie is reasonable. Apparently it's going to rain where I am on Friday, so I'll need to wear one anyway.

I stopped by my testing center--they confirmed my seat and answer my questions, one of which was about outerwear which they said is fine, but if you take it off simply leave it on the back of your chair. She also told me to come by at 7 or 715 to get processed. Even though AAMC has an official 8am time, she said everybody comes well before then which I never really thought about lol

Has anyone taken the official AAMC practice test? I just finished it and I am not feeling super confident on the test Friday (scored a 492). Wondering if I need to push back. How accurate are the AAMC FLs compared to the real deal?

Has anyone taken the official AAMC practice test? I just finished it and I am not feeling super confident on the test Friday (scored a 492). Wondering if I need to push back. How accurate are the AAMC FLs compared to the real deal?

At this point you won't be able to cancel, so I think you should sit for the test and void. AAMC scored is highly predictive of your real score and you don't want to have a 492 on your record.

At this point you won't be able to cancel, so I think you should sit for the test and void. AAMC scored is highly predictive of your real score and you don't want to have a 492 on your record.

Will a Void show up on the record?

As Mcatbot said, anything near a 492 will kill you. Even if you take it again. Take it on Friday, but definitely VOID.

Just did a test commute to my testing center. Glad I did... Punched in the address, drove there, surprise! It doesn't exist. Pull up the site's website and look at directions, discover that there is no public access by road. You park in a public parking lot 1/2 mile away from where the street number should be and walk down a footpath to get there. I wonder how many people will be figuring that out at 7:40 on Friday morning...

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the advice guys. Ive taken numerous practice tests, but I can't seem to get above 50% of the questions right. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Maybe my reading comprehension just sucks overall. Very reading dense test.

If that was me, I would pushback. I don't think you can though? Maybe just take it and void it just to get the

Dude I hope it's highly predictive. I got a 504 and will be elated to stay above 500 lol. Anytime i review my passages literally everything is down between two choices and I end up right most of time. My internal locus of control says it's because I am getting better but my self esteem is fairly low still lol.

To OP, take it Friday. Treat it seriously and void. It sucks but it's the best thing to do right now.

If that was me, I would pushback. I don't think you can though? Maybe just take it and void it just to get the

Dude I hope it's highly predictive. I got a 504 and will be elated to stay above 500 lol. Anytime i review my passages literally everything is down between two choices and I end up right most of time. My internal locus of control says it's because I am getting better but my self esteem is fairly low still lol.

To OP, take it Friday. Treat it seriously and void. It sucks but it's the best thing to do right now.

How are you making it to the 500 mark? Thats all I want to do, but it seems that I can't break through. Do you have any trouble focusing on the passages when you read them, I know I do. My stamina just isn't there.

Just did a test commute to my testing center. Glad I did... Punched in the address, drove there, surprise! It doesn't exist. Pull up the site's website and look at directions, discover that there is no public access by road. You park in a public parking lot 1/2 mile away from where the street number should be and walk down a footpath to get there. I wonder how many people will be figuring that out at 7:40 on Friday morning...

Yeah, and if you guys are lazy and from a big city like me, definitely Google Street View it at the very least! My center is opposite a massive shopping center so at least I can drown my sorrows with new shoes and free samples from Costco.

How are you making it to the 500 mark? Thats all I want to do, but it seems that I can't break through. Do you have any trouble focusing on the passages when you read them, I know I do. My stamina just isn't there.

What's your strategy for each section? Are you doing tests in a quiet environment completely free of distractions?