The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofpink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I thought NS 3 CARS was really difficult compared to the rest.
I had some difficulties staying focused on the CP section I just had to take a break after that section I'll probably start again tomorrow I am finishing up my CP section bank which I find the passages much better to read compared to the dense NS exams

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

83%/91%/92%/87% on the unscored today

WOO

Does anyone know if the scored is suppose to be more difficult? When are you all planning to take the scored?

Reactions: 1 user

WOO

Does anyone know if the scored is suppose to be more difficult? When are you all planning to take the scored?

That CARS score is impressive haha. I'm planning on taking NS 4 next week and then the scored FL the week before the test. Idk if I'm gonna do any more than that

Members don't see this ad :)

WOO

I'm taking the scored this wednesday. Heard the CARS was a little tougher on the scored, but everything else is about the same.

That CARS score is impressive haha. I'm planning on taking NS 4 next week and then the scored FL the week before the test. Idk if I'm gonna do any more than that

Awesome. Let us know how it goes cuz I have ns2 and ns4 left and am definitely only taking 1

Are you guys all done with the Section Banks? I still have half C/p and all P/S to do! Im so ****ed.

How many hours does it take to go through all the section banks? I've been saving them for sometime next week since I a trying to finish up with finals right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys so I just real
does lower catalytic rate mean more stable? referencing section bank C/P #37
No, lower catalytic rate means that it is involved in catalysis. Look at the Tm (melting temperature) which is also lower in the mutants compared to the WT. This means that in addition to being involved in catalysis, this site is also involved in the conformational stability since lower melting point means that the protein is not in the correct and stable conformation like the WT

How many hours does it take to go through all the section banks? I've been saving them for sometime next week since I a trying to finish up with finals right now.

I broke them up into pretty much two FL. So i did 50 of each section one day and then the other fifty the next. Took me probably 4.5-5 hours each day to get through them.

Last edited:
I have literally only completed 1/3 of BB section bank and thats it

yikes

what are you all planning on doing the very last week?

For anyone who has taken the unscored sample:

For question 40 of P/C, why wouldn't it be all of the above? I though C-C or C-H bonds are in the 1500-1600 wavelength for IR absorbance? Also how in detail do we need to know these? I mean obviously OH and C=O are fair game but it seems like you would need to know all the carbon absorptions to get this one right too.

took the B/B section bank today and got crushed with a 51% :((
i've been scoring 126-127 on NS B/B so i dont know what went wrong on the section bank (I started and finished it today so maybe I got burned out)

i've been scoring 126-127 on NS B/B so i dont know what went wrong on the section bank (I started and finished it today so maybe I got burned out)

Hey don't be discouraged just go through your mistakes and you should be in good shape.

yea I wouldn't worry too much. Most of those passages are the "harder" passages you get on the real thing. Still great practice nonetheless

Is this the same with the psych section bank?

Havn't done those yet just the B/B, but I heard they're all pretty difficult. They're mostly supposed to be like all medium to hard questions, whereas in the scored/unscored AAMC exams it's a good mix between easy, med, and hard. I'm probably gonna knock out the psych bank this weekend, but tomorrow I'm taking the scored so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
Havn't done those yet just the B/B, but I heard they're all pretty difficult. They're mostly supposed to be like all medium to hard questions, whereas in the scored/unscored AAMC exams it's a good mix between easy, med, and hard. I'm probably gonna knock out the psych bank this weekend, but tomorrow I'm taking the scored so we'll see how that goes.

Sounds good Goodluck on the scored

Anyone else now using AMCAS/PS rewriting as a very effective procrastination tool?

Just took the AAMC scored c/p:129 (85%), CARS: 123 (57%), B/B:129 (85%), P/S:129 (86%) =510.

Anyone got any CARS tips (just want a 126+ on the real thing)? Has the AAMC scored CARS been known to be harder? I ran out of time...and got -6 on the last passage, which tanked my score lol. Also I noticed the scaling is really harsh...got 50-51/59 to hit the 129's and one point more would've gotten me 130's.

Other exams NS scores:
NS 1: 128/126/128/129=511
NS2: 127/126/127/127=507
NS3: 127/124/127/129=507

NS 1 505
NS 2 501
NS 3 501
NS 4 500
EK 1 53%
Unscored 36%, 74%, 59%, and 66%

I'm taking it on the 14th. What score can I reasonably expect?

NS 1 505
NS 2 501
NS 3 501
NS 4 500
EK 1 53%
Unscored 36%, 74%, 59%, and 66%

I'm taking it on the 14th. What score can I reasonably expect?

Honestly boss it's pretty hard to say I am not a big fan of "predict my score" I just think from now until your exam you need to focus on your weaknesses and from what I can see its your CP and BB killing your scores just work on what you are weak on and by doing this, I believe you can get up to a 508.

Honestly boss it's pretty hard to say I am not a big fan of "predict my score" I just think from now until your exam you need to focus on your weaknesses and from what I can see its your CP and BB killing your scores just work on what you are weak on and by doing this, I believe you can get up to a 508.

I understand, man. The thing is, I feel like I'm weak in everything and have a week to brush up. It's more of a damage control mode now.

Just took the AAMC scored c/p:129 (85%), CARS: 123 (57%), B/B:129 (85%), P/S:129 (86%) =510.

Anyone got any CARS tips (just want a 126+ on the real thing)? Has the AAMC scored CARS been known to be harder? I ran out of time...and got -6 on the last passage, which tanked my score lol. Also I noticed the scaling is really harsh...got 50-51/59 to hit the 129's and one point more would've gotten me 130's.

Other exams NS scores:
NS 1: 128/126/128/129=511
NS2: 127/126/127/127=507
NS3: 127/124/127/129=507

Great score. After taking the scored did you think it was about the same like the NS tests?

I understand, man. The thing is, I feel like I'm weak in everything and have a week to brush up. It's more of a damage control mode now.

Don't rush to take the exam of you do not feel ready. After you take the scored you can make a definitive judgement based on what you get

Great score. After taking the scored did you think it was about the same like the NS tests?

Honestly, it's hard to say. I think Nextstep was definitely harder in the sciences because it was a little more specific in terms of content whereas the AAMC really just tested on easier concepts and focused more on extracting info from the text and analyzing data/experiments. Pretty much for AAMC...the answer is always in the passage from what I saw except for those easy recall questions. For me idk what happened with CARS. I've gotten straight 126's on most of my NS CARS section exams, but I just didn't finish for this one. Had 3min for the 7 question passage and filled in C and got all of them wrong lol. I think if I don't finish the CARS section on the real thing I'll just end up voiding.

yeah im in the exact same deal as you with the same NS scores. CARS is the only reason i have to retake @itsallgood92

haha same! I got a 508 last summer but a 124 in CARS...Again I just didn't finish and left a passage completely up to chance. If I don't finish that section I'm just gonna void and apply with my current score

Honestly, it's hard to say. I think Nextstep was definitely harder in the sciences because it was a little more specific in terms of content whereas the AAMC really just tested on easier concepts and focused more on extracting info from the text and analyzing data/experiments. Pretty much for AAMC...the answer is always in the passage from what I saw except for those easy recall questions. For me idk what happened with CARS. I've gotten straight 126's on most of my NS CARS section exams, but I just didn't finish for this one. Had 3min for the 7 question passage and filled in C and got all of them wrong lol. I think if I don't finish the CARS section on the real thing I'll just end up voiding.

Sounds good thank what tips do you have for the PS? I just finished my book's sociology chapter I am guessing that's why my scores has been in lows for this section :(

Sounds good thank what tips do you have for the PS? I just finished my book's sociology chapter I am guessing that's why my scores has been in lows for this section :( Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A review book isn't enough. I'd memorize every term in the review book, and go over KA vids and passages. I took the exam last august and literally i think my score dropped a lot because there were so many unfamiliar terms. I think the name of the game is when you don't know something, straight up wikipedia it and know it a little more in depth. Also go over the AAMC outline and make sure you're not missing a lot of testable concepts. A lot of it is also memorizing lists like knowing the order of development stages, and types of personalities. Also being able to understand a theorists perspective and how it relates to a certain view or experiment will help. In summary, its the one section where straight up memory dump sort of helps, but you still gotta know how to analyze experiments/studies.

A review book isn't enough. I'd memorize every term in the review book, and go over KA vids and passages. I took the exam last august and literally i think my score dropped a lot because there were so many unfamiliar terms. I think the name of the game is when you don't know something, straight up wikipedia it and know it a little more in depth. Also go over the AAMC outline and make sure you're not missing a lot of testable concepts. A lot of it is also memorizing lists like knowing the order of development stages, and types of personalities. Also being able to understand a theorists perspective and how it relates to a certain view or experiment will help. In summary, its the one section where straight up memory dump sort of helps, but you still gotta know how to analyze experiments/studies.

Thanks!!

For anyone who has taken the unscored sample:

For question 40 of P/C, why wouldn't it be all of the above? I though C-C or C-H bonds are in the 1500-1600 wavelength for IR absorbance? Also how in detail do we need to know these? I mean obviously OH and C=O are fair game but it seems like you would need to know all the carbon absorptions to get this one right too.
No, so all you need to know is the wide peak for -OH (3300-3500), sharp peak at 1700 for C=O and peak around 1600 which is for aromatic C=C bonds. Those are the only three you need to remember. In this particular problem, mevalonate does not have an aromatic C which is why you can eliminate choice III

So I just finished NS2 with a 507. I'm kinda upset because I want to score over a 510 on the real thing next week. Anyone know what my chances are? My scores are as follows:

NS1: 507
NS2: 507
AAMC Unscored Sample: 71%/91%/81%/81%
A bunch of old MCAT tests (early early on in studying): 27, 28, 27, 30

My scores are as follows:
NS1: 507
NS2: 507
AAMC Unscored Sample: 71%/91%/81%/81%

Mcatjelly's tentative conversions put that unscored FL at around a 515. From what I've heard those projections might be a bit inflated, but I think it's safe to say you would have scored at least a 510 on that.

Mcatjelly's tentative conversions put that unscored FL at around a 515. From what I've heard those projections might be a bit inflated, but I think it's safe to say you would have scored at least a 510 on that.

Haha god, I hope so. I would be ecstatic with a score like that. For what it's worth, I feel I do better with AAMC style "recall basic facts but apply new information" questions than the "recall this insane minute detail that we talked about for a paragraph in a book once" that most test prep companies tend to push.