The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofpink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Which test is more useful/better: NS 2 or NS 4? I have to choose one
I hated NS2. It was my lowest score. But I think it had more to do with the fact that I took it last weekend and starting last weekend, I've been having a pretty hard time concentrating due to being on a waitlist right now. I'm hoping when I take the unscored on Saturday I can concentrate better :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is dumb but it works for me, the U in Uncompetitive looks like parallel lines which is what uncompetitive inhibitors look like in the lineweaver burk plot (compared to uninhibited) because both the vmax and km decrease. Think about why the km decreases, the inhibitor binds to the [ES] complex which means the affinity for the substrate increases (dec in Km). And just remember for noncompetitive, the km stays the same while vmax decreases.

Reactions: 1 users
I know this is dumb but it works for me, the U in Uncompetitive looks like parallel lines which is what uncompetitive inhibitors look like in the lineweaver burk plot (compared to uninhibited) because both the vmax and km decrease. Think about why the km decreases, the inhibitor binds to the [ES] complex which means the affinity for the substrate increases (dec in Km). And just remember for noncompetitive, the km stays the same while vmax decreases.
Awesome! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anybody have any tips on keeping uncompetitive and noncompetitive inhibitors straight?

I remember NONcompetetive because it does NOT bind to the active site. So since it binds outside it doesn't effect the Km and can bind equally well to the E or ES. I really like the above example for Uncompetitive I'm definitely gonna steal it

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody have any tips on keeping uncompetitive and noncompetitive inhibitors straight?

I came across this little mnemonic and it's been really helpful:

KoMpetitive INhibition = KM INcrease (Vmax is unchanged)
NOn-KoMpetitive INhibition = NO KM INcrease (but Vmax is decreased)
Uncompetitive Inhibition = BOTH Km and Vmax decrease

when are you guys taking the scored AAMC? I'm planning on it taking the Monday (5/16) of the week of the test and then review it Tues/Wed

I took the April test and scored a 513. I think the chart thingy is definitely inflated, although I think ppl generally do better on the real one. I was getting around 507ish and I scored 6pts higher on the real one, so I definitely did better. At the same time, I think there is a sampling bias for the chart. Ppl who did well tend to post their scores so ppl who did worse or not as well as they thought prob didnt post up that much. I would say for NS, expect 3~5 pts bump on average. Idk about like 8~9.

Same here did you take any NS exam?

yes I personally like the style of NS exams a lot but my scores have been fluctuating lately (thanks to CARS!) so i'm not sure what to make of these scores but I'm planning on taking 3 more NS exams next week

NS 1 (125/123/126/127)=501
NS half length (125/127/125/128)=505
NS 2 (126/126/126/125)=503
NS 3 (126/123/125/128)=502

Members don't see this ad :)
yes I personally like the style of NS exams a lot but my scores have been fluctuating lately (thanks to CARS!) so i'm not sure what to make of these scores but I'm planning on taking 3 more NS exams next week

NS 1 (125/123/126/127)=501
NS half length (125/127/125/128)=505
NS 2 (126/126/126/125)=503
NS 3 (126/123/125/128)=502

We are scoring about the same
NS1 (127/125/128/125) 505
NS2(128/125/127/126) 506
NS4 I did this today (127/124/127/127) 504

I have honestly given up on verbal at this point and I am thinking about getting 5 and 6. I did the CP SB and their passages are less dense compared to NS

We are scoring about the same
NS1 (127/125/128/125) 505
NS2(128/125/127/126) 506
NS4 I did this today (127/124/127/127) 504

I have honestly given up on verbal at this point and I am thinking about getting 5 and 6. I did the CP SB and their passages are less dense compared to NS

i'm overall scoring similar to you guys as well. same scores, just different NS tests. NS 1: 505 NS2: 504 NS3: 506. i've also taken EK2 and TPR1

Hey for anyone who has gotten through #57 on the C/P section of the AAMC Section Bank, where does the 1---2 dilution come from? I'm not understanding how that comes about! And then for #58, I thought that the C5 position on a Benzene molecule would be where the methyl group is off of the diagram on A?

Last edited:
my scores are also kind of similar
NS fls boost my confidence but then Kap makes me freak out.
Ns diagnostic 506
Ns 1 504
Ns 4 507 latest
Kap 1 494
Kap2 495
Kap 3 498
TPR 498
AAMC Unscored 66% 74% 74% 74% taken a month ago
I will be taking the scored fl tomorrow, I am so nervous I feel like I am going to take the real one

what are you guys doing for last minute review?
I am going over amino acid stuff, enzymes kinematics, thermodyamics, mostly biochem.
also for psych I am going over my notes
I also found this link
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/comments/3i1yq5/all_psychologysociology_notes_from_khan_academy/
that summrizes all khan's psych

Hey for anyone who has gotten through #57 on the C/P section, where does the 1---2 dilution come from? I'm not understanding how that comes about! And then for #58, I thought that the C5 position on a Benzene molecule would be where the methyl group is off of the diagram on A?

which test are you referring to?

i'm overall scoring similar to you guys as well. same scores, just different NS tests. NS 1: 505 NS2: 504 NS3: 506. i've also taken EK2 and TPR1

How do you like the EK exams compared to NS? I personally think EK has three correct answer choices they just want the "best" answer

which test are you referring to?

I think because we are diluting from 0.1 mL to 25.0 ml it means for every 1 ml we get 250ml so that is 1 to 250 then we dilute again for every 0.1 ml of substrate solution we add 0.1 mL of enzyme solution so that is doubling 1 t0 2 , so we get 1 to (2 x250) so 1 to 500

Last edited:
How do you like the EK exams compared to NS? I personally think EK has three correct answer choices they just want the "best" answer

i like them about the same as NS. i think their chem/phys and bio/biochem are on par with NS or maybe a bit harder (i think both have bio sections harder than the real deal, i'm a retaker, got 128 on bio on the actual test but haven't gotten higher than 127 on a practice test) and i think their psych/soc is easier than NS and CARS is on par with NS

HEY. Quick question (CONTAINS SPOILER):

On the scored Full Length:
There's a question about the role of the Na/K ATPase pump during an action potential. The answer is that the pump helps restore the resting potential.

However, I thought that action potential=depolarization= which led me to pick B, but I was wrong.

Can anyone help me? How is that line of thinking wrong?
Thanks!

For question 67 on C/P Section Bank, if the protein is negatively charged, why would it bind to an anionic column? Wouldnt it bind to a cationic column?

Action potentials and ATPase are two separate functions. In response to a stimulus, the cell starts to depolarize which means Na is coming into the cell. Once it surpasses a certain threshold, an action potential starts. After the whole process occurs, the neuron is hyperpolarized and so then we have to return it back to its resting potential. This is when the ATPase pump is used by active transport to push 3 Na out of the cell and 2 K into the cell. The reason we use this pump is because these ions are being pushed against their concentration gradient which requires the use of ATP.

For question 67 on C/P Section Bank, if the protein is negatively charged, why would it bind to an anionic column? Wouldnt it bind to a cationic column?

This one confused me too, I got it wrong as well. Hopefully someone can clarify

I put C for the answer I still don't know why the option c is wrong and the explanation they give is not the best either

have you guys already taken the sample? i was gonna take it this sunday or early next week and then scored late next week to next weekend.

Action potentials and ATPase are two separate functions. In response to a stimulus, the cell starts to depolarize which means Na is coming into the cell. Once it surpasses a certain threshold, an action potential starts. After the whole process occurs, the neuron is hyperpolarized and so then we have to return it back to its resting potential. This is when the ATPase pump is used by active transport to push 3 Na out of the cell and 2 K into the cell. The reason we use this pump is because these ions are being pushed against their concentration gradient which requires the use of ATP.

OMG, thank you!! I guess I was so caught up on Action Potential that I was completely blindsided with the ATPase pump. This makes a lot of sense. Thanks!! :)

Also, the Na+/K+ ATPase pump moves a consistent amount of Na and K ions, and it works against the gradient (so it's repolarizing, not depolarizing). The depolarization answer was probably in there in the hopes that people would confuse the ATPase with voltage-gated sodium or potassium channels--separate channels, unlike the ATPase.

also if someone can explain #77 on C/p SB that would be great. I kinda get the concept here, I think the answer choice for D is kinda throwing me off idk.

You are just getting the definition of the columns wrong. So in an anionic column, means you are trying to separate the anions from your compound so in order to separate the anions you would need to use positively charged beads in the column. So in anion column chromatography, the beads used are positively charged. In cation column chromatography the beads used are negatively charged.

also if someone can explain #77 on C/p SB that would be great. I kinda get the concept here, I think the answer choice for D is kinda throwing me off idk.

Think of the relationship between Vmax and Km. Km is the concentration of substrate at half Vmax so if your Vmax is much lower in the mutant enzyme then the concentration of substrate needed to reach half of the new lower Vmax also has to be a lot less than the original amount. All the other choices would make the enzyme non-functional and not able to perform its function. Does this help?

Just took NS 4... that was not a fun exam ahah. 511 with 129/126/128/128. I honestly feel like NS CARS is not representative of the real thing. Planning to do an EK, the section banks, OG, and the scored before test day.

What's everyone doing for the last 2 weeks? I want to do a bunch of practice problems but I already used the SB and most khan videos. Anyone else have good sources? I was thinking about just using the sections from the Princeton tests but everyone says they aren't representative.

Hey guys, 2 more weeks!! Goodluck to you all in the last weeks of cramming. I have a few questions if ya'll can give me some advice...

I have been studying with kaplan and TPR tests thus far, and have yet to take the AAMC sample and AAMC scored practice tests. I was originally planning on doing them both the week before the exam, but kind of want to do one now, and one a few days before the exam.

What do you guys suggest I do/when to take those 2 exams??? Im gonna squeeze in a NS free full length, the 2 AAMC tests, a couple days of section bank, and the aamc OG from now until my test. Advice on what i should take/do when?

What's everyone doing for the last 2 weeks? I want to do a bunch of practice problems but I already used the SB and most khan videos. Anyone else have good sources? I was thinking about just using the sections from the Princeton tests but everyone says they aren't representative.

LOL this wasn't there when I was typing my message...

I should be done with the SB by tomorrow. Then I'm going to do the Qpacks, Scored Exam next Wednesday, and fit in some Kaplan section tests for P/S.

Hey guys, 2 more weeks!! Goodluck to you all in the last weeks of cramming. I have a few questions if ya'll can give me some advice...

I have been studying with kaplan and TPR tests thus far, and have yet to take the AAMC sample and AAMC scored practice tests. I was originally planning on doing them both the week before the exam, but kind of want to do one now, and one a few days before the exam.

What do you guys suggest I do/when to take those 2 exams??? Im gonna squeeze in a NS free full length, the 2 AAMC tests, a couple days of section bank, and the aamc OG from now until my test. Advice on what i should take/do when?
Take the AAMC unscored and the section banks ASAP. The next step diagnostic is probably the least important of the material you still have left in my opinion. Maybe try to knock out the section banks this weekend and thoroughly review because from what I've read on here they're the most representative.

Take the AAMC unscored and the section banks ASAP. The next step diagnostic is probably the least important of the material you still have left in my opinion. Maybe try to knock out the section banks this weekend and thoroughly review because from what I've read on here they're the most representative.

Damn alright, sounds like a plan! I'm scared to do the section banks from what everyone has been saying....

Base structures (A,T, U, C, G) are probably worth memorizing.. I've seen a couple questions asking about the name and/or the base it pairs with based on the structure alone on some AAMC and TPR materials, so it wouldn't hurt to add those to the list.

May 20th test taker here. Has anyone else experienced a discrepancy in TPR vs AAMC scores? I have taken TPR FL 1-5 and have been scoring 505-508, but after taking the AAMC Scored today I scored 511. Is this the luck of the draw or do you think aamc scored is representative of what we will see on test day?

Sorry, but I have another question (***Contains spoilers from the practice scored FL****)

P/S passage 8: the effects of gaming on children with ADHD
Question 41: asks what the extrinsic factor led to the motivational differences between groups?

Can someone please explain why the answer is NOT B!

wasn't that the primary differences between the 2 premises?