The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofpink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
just started hardcore studying this month. i finished all my prereqs this past semester, but i never took a genetics class and i'm hoping it doesn't screw me over. guess i'll have to thoroughly teach myself. i took the nextstep diagnostic and got a 504 without any content review on my first day of winter break... don't know if that's exactly great, but we can only go up from here? i hope?!?! :xf:

i have the aamc question pack but i'm nervous to start them before i finish content review :x i'd say i'm about 1/3 way through review. should i just dive in, or finish reviewing then hit the question pack?

FML... I love the holidays but when I'm staying with relatives with loud kids with no home training it becomes hard to focus on anything else (including MCAT review).

Just moved my Jan exam to May 20th. Its going to be tough studying for this monster of an exam with my spring semester classes but what can you do:shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

I was wondering if anyone can suggest the best practice problem/passage book for biochem, Ochem, and CARS. I have the Kaplan book set but is seriously lacking in practice problems and passages and it looks like the EK 1001 series did not get updated yet for the new MCAT. I heard BR and TPR are good but was wondering if anyone has a suggestion from experience?

Hi,

Quick question: if you're using, say EK, and doing the practice questions and seem to be average or slightly above, how should you supplement?

Thanks guys!

I am doing EK content and then 1/2 of the corresponding TBR problems. I will do the 2nd "1/2" of each chapter at end of review to prevent forgetting concepts. for CARS I am using NextStep 108

Hey I'm also taking the MCAT on May 20th... going to be taking a full load of courses this coming spring, including a TPR prep course, but the university courses are all going to be covering MCAT material (Biochem 2, physics 2, chemistry research, psych, and maybe socio [if I decide I can't learn psych or socio on my own]). Just finished putting together my study plan for the next 5 months using two full TPR sets and their prep course, plus khan academy, and old university textbooks... feeling good :)

I'm a double major in Chemistry and Philosophy, and I've looked at some of the CARS material already and am not intimidated. I recommend to anyone who doesn't have a strong reading comprehension background to pick up some introductory level philosophy texts to supplement any article reading you may be doing already.

Is the TPR hyperlearning book still a good study tool if it's from 2012?o_O

I did like 3 passages and only missed 3 questions; is the TPR hyperlearning a good tool in terms of passage difficulty?

I'll be taking the MCAT on May 20th. I'll be taking a full load of classes while studying. I've started looking into various study schedules and plan on buying my prep books and getting started soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's my new plan of attack: I do an EK chapter and do the 30 minute exams. If after taking an exam I get less than 125, I vigorously review using ANKI and khan academy; does anybody think this is a good idea?

I think best way is EK read chapter + notes, do 1/2 of the corresponding TBR passages, EK 30 min exams, 3-4 verbal passages a day.

I took it in August 2015 and found my study was content and not enough passages + tests. Thats what I am changing this time around.

Could anyone help me with understanding this question from EK 1001: I am not convinced with the answer!!!

Question 217, Gchem EK 1001

According to the graph, which of the following would be true, if the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, were used to calculate the volume of a sample of CE14 gas from measured variables at 200 atm and 300 K and again at 600 atm and 300 K?

1. The calculated volume would be less than the real volume for both calculations.

2. The calculated volume would be greater than the real volume for both calculations.

3. The calculated volume would be less than the real volume for the 200 atm sample and greater than the real volume for the 600 atm sample.

4. The calculated volume would be greater than the real volume for the 200 atm sample and less than the real volume for the 600 atm sample.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 5.50.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 5.50.44 PM.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 77
Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone help me with understanding this question from EK 1001: I am not convinced with the answer!!!

According to the graph, which of the following would be true, if the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, were used to calculate the volume of a sample of CE14 gas from measured variables at 200 atm and 300 K and again at 600 atm and 300 K?

1. The calculated volume would be less than the real volume for both calculations.

2. The calculated volume would be greater than the real volume for both calculations.

3. The calculated volume would be less than the real volume for the 200 atm sample and greater than the real volume for the 600 atm sample.

4. The calculated volume would be greater than the real volume for the 200 atm sample and less than the real volume for the 600 atm sample.

Is "c" the answer to this one?

where does the CE14 come in with the graph? seems like there's missing information...
If the question was asking about CO2 or CH4, then D would be the answer.
If the question was asking about H2, then A would be the answer.

Hey you guys just dropping by to say hello and I am also taking the May 20th MCAT. I just started studying over winter break. Im using Ek, Kaplan, PR, and maybe BR. do you guys think this is too much? I dont want to spend too much time on content and not enough time practicing .

That's what I thought too, but it's D!
I read it backwards. I make that mistake too often. It is testing the theory of compressibility factor of gasses The volume calculated using the ideal gas law would be higher than the measured volume at 200 atm.

PV/RT will always equal 1 for an ideal gas given 1 mole, so you can draw a line at y=1 to represent an ideal gas.
compressibility-factor--function-p.gif

Then you can quickly see that V is the only variable item in the ratio so the measured V is low at 200 atm, and high at 600 atm. Thats the way you should look at it.

The first way I looked at it, which is kind of a time trap was to analyze the slope of the curve fir CH4 between 200 atm, and 600 atm, and found that a 3x change in P corresponded to a V.fnl of 2V.i/3. And for the ideal gas we know a 3x increase in P will give 0.33V.i. The ratio of calculated to measured at 200 atm was about 1:0.7 and the ratio at 600 atm was about 0.33:0.45

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
where does the CE14 come in with the graph? seems like there's missing information...
If the question was asking about CO2 or CH4, then D would be the answer.
If the question was asking about H2, then A would be the answer.
Yeah, sorry! the error was due to copy and pasting , it is CH4

so PV = nRT, so V would be equal to nRT/P

at 200 atm, the calculate V would be RT/P (n = 1), however, the measured n equivalent (per graph) is <1, therefore, the real V < calculated V
at 600 atm, the calculate V again would be RT/P, however, the measured n equivalent (per graph) is is >1, therefore, the real V > calculated V
Yeah, sorry! the error was due to copy and pasting , it is CH4

I read it backwards. I make that mistake too often. It is testing the theory of compressibility factor of gasses The volume calculated using the ideal gas law would be higher than the measured volume at 200 atm.

PV/RT will always equal 1 for an ideal gas, so you can draw a line at y=1 to represent an ideal gas.
compressibility-factor--function-p.gif

Then you can quickly see that V is the only variable item in the ratio so the measured V is low at 200 atm, and high at 600 atm. Thats the way you should look at it.

The first way I looked at it, which is kind of a time trap was to analyze the slope of the curve fir CH4 between 200 atm, and 600 atm, and found that a 3x change in P corresponded to a V.fnl of 2V.i/3. And for the ideal gas we know a 3x increase in P will give 0.33V.i. The ratio of calculated to measured at 200 atm was about 1:0.7 and the ratio at 600 atm was about 0.33:0.45

YESSS! you are so right! Thank youuuuu for following up :) it make sense now !

so PV = nRT, so V would be equal to nRT/P

at 200 atm, the calculate V would be RT/P (n = 1), however, the measured n equivalent (per graph) is <1, therefore, the real V < calculated V
at 600 atm, the calculate V again would be RT/P, however, the measured n equivalent (per graph) is is >1, therefore, the real V > calculated V

Now I understand where I went wrong in my thinking process~~!! Thank you sooooo mcuh for the thorough explanation :)

What are y'all going to use for Verbal? I was thinking about using the Princeton Review Verbal book but it's over $200 on Amazon.

I took my GRE this week in the same testing center where I'm going to take my MCAT and I'm sooo glad I did. I literally got lost inside the building and really confused by the check in process and if it were the MCAT I think it would have really rattled me. Recommend everyone scope out their testing center in the next few months.

I took it in August 2015 and found my study was content and not enough passages + tests. Thats what I am changing this time around.

how much physiology was on the test? did you take a physiology course or did you just use the prep book?
same questions for biochem. i have read around this site and i am getting mixed reviews

Hey I'm also taking the MCAT on May 20th... going to be taking a full load of courses this coming spring, including a TPR prep course, but the university courses are all going to be covering MCAT material (Biochem 2, physics 2, chemistry research, psych, and maybe socio [if I decide I can't learn psych or socio on my own]). Just finished putting together my study plan for the next 5 months using two full TPR sets and their prep course, plus khan academy, and old university textbooks... feeling good :)

I'm a double major in Chemistry and Philosophy, and I've looked at some of the CARS material already and am not intimidated. I recommend to anyone who doesn't have a strong reading comprehension background to pick up some introductory level philosophy texts to supplement any article reading you may be doing already.

which philosophy book would you recommend. i am having a problem increasing my verbal score

which philosophy book would you recommend. i am having a problem increasing my verbal score

DISCLAIMER: The subject of any of the books (and thus the actual books themselves) are, in my opinion, superfluous. The main goal is to practice - to be frank - understanding what in the hell the writers are talking about? Don't expect to be able to write an essay on what you've read, but try to explain a theory to a friend or family member who hasn't read the stuff. Make sure to confirm your understanding with sites like Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy which usually puts the content into a format that is usually accessible to non-philosophy students. Additionally, I am not certified to teach philosophy beyond what my major indicates, so I don't have a good sense of what non-philosophy students will find easy or difficult to read. It is very possible the entire subject will totally baffle and anger you because all too often there are no answers (unlike in bio/chem).

You can find some introductory level writing from Plato, Aritstotle, Descartes, and medium level stuff from Kripke and John Stuart Mill. If you want to dive straight into the deep end of the cryptic pond, I would recommend Nietzsche, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, and philosophers associated with them which you can find by doing the simplest Wikipedia skim. Chances are good that you won't be able to make heads or tails of the latter group without instruction.

May 14th test taker here. How far into content review are you guys? Also, when do you guys think is the best time to start practice problems? I'm not sure whether to wait until i'm done with content review or just jump in.

May 14th test taker here. How far into content review are you guys? Also, when do you guys think is the best time to start practice problems? I'm not sure whether to wait until i'm done with content review or just jump in.
To be honest, I really haven't even started anything. I've been abroad this break and haven't had much time. I intend on doing content review all of Jan and February with questions intertwined and then moving on to primarily questions

For what I hear from must people doing both is the best, although the practice material should vary in the different prep stages. So for example, if it has been a long time since you took physics, start doing content review and 1/3 of EK 1001, plus some Khan videos/passages and other free sources out there. The same can be done for other sections. Now, once you cover all content review, start using other sources which are usually not free or cheap, such as AAMC qbank/question packs, BR/TPR/Kaplan/EK full lengths. I would suggest leaving AAMC full length for the last stage of the prep, maybe when you are a month or less away from the actual MCAT.

Could anyone shed light on this question, it might sound stupid, but I am not convinced by the answer!

In which of the following cases does the internal energy o f the described system increase?

I. A clay ball is dropped and sticks to the ground
II. Hydrogen and oxygen react exothermically to form water
III. A car is driven at a constant speed (consider the effect o f air resistance)

1. II only

2. I and II only

3. I and Ill only

4. I,II,and Ill

Could anyone shed light on this question, it might sound stupid, but I am not convinced by the answer!

In which of the following cases does the internal energy o f the described system increase?

III. A car is driven at a constant speed (consider the effect o f air resistance)

1. II only

2. I and II only

3. I and Ill only

4. I,II,and Ill

Is the answer 1?

1. II only

2. I and II only

3. I and Ill only

4. I,II,and Ill
Isn't internal energy = capacity to do work. So the clay ball has no more grav potential after falling and sticking? So then by elimination II only (1.)

EYY! MAY 20th..... I should start studying soon. I took the KAPLAN course last semester and did a few practice tests. I really need to start on my own and review before doing anymore practice problems.

Is anyone here using kaplan here? Their questions are so bad and do not resemble the aamc questions at all

Is anyone here using kaplan here? Their questions are so bad and do not resemble the aamc questions at all
I know KAPLAN's questions are so stupid, they will literally teach you "the elimination strategy" and then ask you a question where 3 out of the 4 options are completely out of scope. It's ridiculous.

1. II only

2. I and II only

3. I and Ill only

4. I,II,and Ill

Is the answer B or 2. (I and II only). Since 3 can't be true because it's at constant speed and the positive work being done by the car is cancelled out negatively by the air resistance. (IDK if this makes sense) but my guess would be 2.

Is the answer B or 2. (I and II only). Since 3 can't be true because it's at constant speed and the positive work being done by the car is cancelled out negatively by the air resistance. (IDK if this makes sense) but my guess would be 2.
Honestly, this is a dumb question. It seems as if it is from kaplan haha

I had a pretty good week of studying, but man am I really getting annoyed by errors in the Examcrackers books. I'm glad there are so many different resources out there because I'd be nervous if I were relying on only one thing to be 100% accurate.

Hopefully they will!

Anyways, what materials are you guys using? I am reviewing biochem with BR, psych/soc with TPR, and CARS with EK/TPRH workbook. I will start the other sciences after Fall semester is over. I am just afraid to run out of practice material and FL.

I found some great tools, here on SDN, that have been proven extremely helpful. Hope these helps all May takers as well.

Written by @mcatjelly MCAT study guide, includes corresponding BR, EK, Kaplan, and Khan academy videos:

Anki deck with about +/- 2000 questions (can't remember who posted this in SDN, if you know, please let me know to give them credit) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vf72d32p7536djp/AABeYbhfKpchNeiPzakZSrtya?dl=0

30 day guide to the CARS section by: @TestingSolutions http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/testing-solution’s-30-day-guide-to-mcat-cars-success.1131850/

MCAT 2015 STUDY PLAN adapted from SN2ed & MCATjelly - EK, TBR, TPRH, Kaplan by @_Nymeria_
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...m-sn2ed-mcatjelly-ek-tbr-tprh-kaplan.1127723/

How do I download that excel sheet?

That awkward moment when you take a half length diagnostic and do MISERABLY.
Lol time to actually get serious

I see that aamc made all of their mcat prep material into a bundle. It's 20% off coming in at $188.00 for everything!