The Official October 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorInASaree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

As of today, we are less than three months away from writing one of the most important exams in our lives.

What are your studying strategies? How are you feeling about the MCAT?

We're all in this together, so let's get this discussion started!

And remember, October 21st, save the date!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yesss...let's galvanize this thread :D

Thank you so much Shewillcreate! Yeah, it's sort of dead..but don't worry we will keep it alive and going ;)
I am talking just Cell Biology and I work here and there. It was such an abrupt decision on my behalf to sign up, otherwise I would have to fly out to a different state. I was hoping to take it November 7th! But, this works too..just have to study harder I suppose! How should I even study..should I go section by section or should I take a bunch of practice exams and see what I need to work on?

40+hours a week? Two weeks of content review (chapter by chapter), and then take a FL and evaluate your performance.

@Shewillcreate - I'm not ignoring you...I have a reply coming...soon. Bumping Aladdin night to Sunday. So busy! :(

I'd be posting more if I had anything to say - I just can't get my motivation up after rescheduling. Ever since then I've barely been able to keep studying, and that was almost two weeks ago. I just crashed really hard after rescheduling and I honestly cannot get motivated to address my weaknesses after 4+ months of full-time studying already under my belt.

I'll be taking the AAMC SAs on Monday for sure - I need something to shock me out of these "content review" doldrums, I can't keep spending time away from full lengths, I just can't seem to stay motivated without those regular reminders of what's happening to my full-length score. Day after day of mindless problem drilling is taking its toll, eh?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be posting more if I had anything to say - I just can't get my motivation up after rescheduling. Ever since then I've barely been able to keep studying, and that was almost two weeks ago. I just crashed really hard after rescheduling and I honestly cannot get motivated to address my weaknesses after 4+ months of full-time studying already under my belt.

I'll be taking the AAMC SAs on Monday for sure - I need something to shock me out of these "content review" doldrums, I can't keep spending time away from full lengths, I just can't seem to stay motivated without those regular reminders of what's happening to my full-length score. Day after day of mindless problem drilling is taking its toll, eh?

That is exactly why you should be posting here more often. Most of the posters on SDN MCAT Discussions are quite supportive, and many have been through what you are currently going through.

@DoctorInASaree Thank you so much! OMG, your name! Are you Indian? :)

WE GOT THIS KIDS!!!! DON'T FEAR THE MCAT, LET IT FEAR YOU! <3

Yes, I am!

Taking this exam on this day, but I have been in the Oct 25th thread. How's everyone doing?

Hehe, that's funny! I'm writing on Oct 25th, and I'm posting here :D

How do I feel? I feel like I've got the World on a string.

Edit: Does anyone have a working understand of hyperlinks in Word?

Yes, I am!

Hehe, that's funny! I'm writing on Oct 25th, and I'm posting here :D

How do I feel? I feel like I've got the World on a string.
whEdit: Does anyone have a working understand of hyperlinks in Word?
I think it all depends one which thread you like best.

@DoctorInASaree There's no rush, I appreciate you thinking about what to say haha. So whenever you get a chance will be just fine.

I totally feel you on this one... But now I'm realizing that we are about 4 weeks out so we really need to get on the roll (this is what I drilled into my head when I woke up this morning). I think we need to get excited again about our potential to do well on this exam. Then motivation will follow...at least I'm hoping so...

I totally feel you on this one... But now I'm realizing that we are about 4 weeks out so we really need to get on the roll (this is what I drilled into my head when I woke up this morning). I think we need to get excited again about our potential to do well on this exam. Then motivation will follow...at least I'm hoping so...

Yeah, I figure once I buckle down and start doing some more hard work the inspiration will follow. I'm starting in on the AAMC SAs today, and it's been good so far to be doing some computer based testing again, even if it's not a full length. And yes, the time-crunch is starting to rear it's ugly head again, and I'm benefitting from that as well. :p

Yeah, I figure once I buckle down and start doing some more hard work the inspiration will follow. I'm starting in on the AAMC SAs today, and it's been good so far to be doing some computer based testing again, even if it's not a full length. And yes, the time-crunch is starting to rear it's ugly head again, and I'm benefitting from that as well. :p

I think the inspiration WILL come :rage:
Do you think that the SAs are a good investment? I've been thinking about getting them, but I've already spent so much money on this exam...it's disgusting. Also, are you going to be working them day to day? Or one subject/day? (yikes, scratch that, that'd be murder suicide).

Members don't see this ad :)
@DoctorInASaree There's no rush, I appreciate you thinking about what to say haha. So whenever you get a chance will be just fine.

I created a thread summarizing my verbal strategy. I think my methodology is in the third section, and I provide examples of how I approach a passage. Could you read that and let me know what you think? I'm trying to generate a Verbal discussion in that thread. I would appreciate your input :)

I think the inspiration WILL come :rage:
Do you think that the SAs are a good investment? I've been thinking about getting them, but I've already spent so much money on this exam...it's disgusting. Also, are you going to be working them day to day? Or one subject/day? (yikes, scratch that, that'd be murder suicide).

I got started a bit late today, so I'm probably only going to finish the physics one for now, and then another one or maybe two tomorrow. I'll definitely have done all 4 in the next 2-3 days or so, and I'll let you know what I think of them. Having finished about half of the physics section, I have a sneaking suspicion that taking these SAs is only going to tell me what I already know about my weaknesses that I learned by taking 14 full lengths, but I already paid for them so I can't see how taking them will hurt. And yeah, seconded on the money business; I've rescheduled twice and one of those times was after the bronze zone, plus the 20 or so full lengths, plus the entire BR and EK sets, and some other extraneous material like the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal and Science workbooks, so it's becoming almost humorous that I didn't want to take a TRP/Kaplan/Whatever MCAT prep class for the cost, but have probably spent nearly as much on raw study materials. :laugh:

I created a thread summarizing my verbal strategy. I think my methodology is in the third section, and I provide examples of how I approach a passage. Could you read that and let me know what you think? I'm trying to generate a Verbal discussion in that thread. I would appreciate your input :)
Sounds groovy! I'd love to read it, no doubt it'll help me out. Where do I get a hold of it or could you give us a link to the thread? Thanks a mil!! You rock!!!

I got started a bit late today, so I'm probably only going to finish the physics one for now, and then another one or maybe two tomorrow. I'll definitely have done all 4 in the next 2-3 days or so, and I'll let you know what I think of them. Having finished about half of the physics section, I have a sneaking suspicion that taking these SAs is only going to tell me what I already know about my weaknesses that I learned by taking 14 full lengths, but I already paid for them so I can't see how taking them will hurt. And yeah, seconded on the money business; I've rescheduled twice and one of those times was after the bronze zone, plus the 20 or so full lengths, plus the entire BR and EK sets, and some other extraneous material like the TPR Hyperlearning Verbal and Science workbooks, so it's becoming almost humorous that I didn't want to take a TRP/Kaplan/Whatever MCAT prep class for the cost, but have probably spent nearly as much on raw study materials. :laugh:

Oh yikes! Yeah it sounds like you've put a pretty penny in all this jazz as well. I'm really hoping it all pays off! Do please let me know how it goes! I'm shuffling through the outlines now and like you, I kind of already know where my weakness are, but additional information on what's what will help me ... I think...

I just need a good kick in the pants!

Sounds groovy! I'd love to read it, no doubt it'll help me out. Where do I get a hold of it or could you give us a link to the thread? Thanks a mil!! You rock!!!

Oh yikes! Yeah it sounds like you've put a pretty penny in all this jazz as well. I'm really hoping it all pays off! Do please let me know how it goes! I'm shuffling through the outlines now and like you, I kind of already know where my weakness are, but additional information on what's what will help me ... I think...

I just need a good kick in the pants!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/verbsies-the-draupadi-method.1099968/

The link is at the end of the first post :)

@lumberjack89 @Shewillcreate I'll admit it: I have been slacking in the past week. There's essentially a month left until my test date, so it's time to get back in shape! Ten to twelve hour days here I come! Oh, how I've missed them :D Five hours of sleep, one hour of meditation, one hour of entertainment time, and almost all of the remaining time will be devoted to the MCAT.

Last edited:
Hey hey hey! How's studying coming along guys?
I did two practice verbal sections and scored both 10's. I am not really sure if this is a true measurement of how i'll do on the real deal! It's my first time taking the MCAT and I just started studying a couple days ago! What do you guys all think?

@DoctorInASaree Same here! :)

Hey guys, has anyone done the TBR CBTs? If so, how is your score comparing to your other FLs? I've done the first two so far and I've scored horrendously on them, but I truly feel like their sciences' difficulty is on par with the real mcat, if not a tad bit easier (I've taken the mcat before).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/verbsies-the-draupadi-method.1099968/

The link is at the end of the first post :)

@lumberjack89 @Shewillcreate I'll admit it: I have been slacking in the past week. There's essentially a month left until my test date, so it's time to get back in shape! Ten to twelve hour days here I come! Oh, how I've missed them :D Five hours of sleep, one hour of meditation, one hour of entertainment time, and almost all of the remaining time will be devoted to the MCAT.

Sweet Jesus! Twelve...hour...days? You have officially become my hero! Where do I find some of that study juice?!

So far I'm very much enjoying your supplement! Thank you so very much for sharing!

@Kayce That's a pretty solid VR score to begin with! How's study prep going so far?

I really found your verbal strategy helpful! Thank you so much! Hope everyone is doing well, the closer we get, the more nervous/excited I become!

Sweet Jesus! Twelve...hour...days? You have officially become my hero! Where do I find some of that study juice?!

So far I'm very much enjoying your supplement! Thank you so very much for sharing!

@Kayce That's a pretty solid VR score to begin with! How's study prep going so far?

I really found your verbal strategy helpful! Thank you so much! Hope everyone is doing well, the closer we get, the more nervous/excited I become!

Thanks so much! Extremely happy to hear this :D

What do you think about GS exams, and do you think the scores are inflated?
How do you compare GS to TBR?

Actually, I've taken a few more TBR tests and I really do feel like both their sciences AND verbal are so much closer to the real MCAT (I've taken it once ). GS verbal is nothing representative at ALL for the real MCAT so I've been skipping their VR section for the past few tests and subbing it for TPR verbal passages. First few TBR tests I've gotten really low scores 23 on TBR1 and 22 on TBR2, but after analyzing my mistakes(most of them were not reading the question/passage too carefully) I broke 30s on TBR3/TBR4. GS scale is a bit inflated imo, but it's good that it's calculation heavy and tests on recalling facts/equations (which is good for psciences and sometimes for bio). TBR is better for analyzing the passage for all three sections I think, but their ochem is a bit too intense for the MCAT.

Actually, I've taken a few more TBR tests and I really do feel like both their sciences AND verbal are so much closer to the real MCAT (I've taken it once ). GS verbal is nothing representative at ALL for the real MCAT so I've been skipping their VR section for the past few tests and subbing it for TPR verbal passages. First few TBR tests I've gotten really low scores 23 on TBR1 and 22 on TBR2, but after analyzing my mistakes(most of them were not reading the question/passage too carefully) I broke 30s on TBR3/TBR4. GS scale is a bit inflated imo, but it's good that it's calculation heavy and tests on recalling facts/equations (which is good for psciences and sometimes for bio). TBR is better for analyzing the passage for all three sections I think, but their ochem is a bit too intense for the MCAT.

Okay then. That's good to know. I only use GS for their PS/BS sections, and on my last exam.
GS 1 8/10
GS 2 8/11
GS 3 11/12
GS 4 9/11

I am going to take GS 5 tomorrow morning, review later on that night and take GS 6 on Saturday.
Starting Sunday or Monday I am going to do the SA for Chem, Bio, Physics and Orgo in that order.
I have TBR pdf exams, and I wanted to know, if I should take them after I finish taking GS 1-6. My subscription for GS will end September 30th.

Did you do the SAs yet?

Okay then. That's good to know. I only use GS for their PS/BS sections, and on my last exam.
GS 1 8/10
GS 2 8/11
GS 3 11/12
GS 4 9/11

I am going to take GS 5 tomorrow morning, review later on that night and take GS 6 on Saturday.
Starting Sunday or Monday I am going to do the SA for Chem, Bio, Physics and Orgo in that order.
I have TBR pdf exams, and I wanted to know, if I should take them after I finish taking GS 1-6. My subscription for GS will end September 30th.

Did you do the SAs yet?

Yeah, I think you should take TBR exams before you do any of the AAMC material. TBR CBTs are good content review and good practice for analyzing the passages more so than the GS exams. I've taken the SAs and some AAMCs when I took the MCAT last time, and it is easier (content wise) than TBR/GS. So if you tackle on the hard stuff first and practice your analyzing skills on TBR tests you should be good for the aamc material. Just my opinion.

@Shewillcreate : Thanks! It's going good. I've done 5 practice verbal sections now all together and scored ALL 10's. So I don't know what's going on here!! Tomorrow I will start studying for the sciences. YIKES. I am so screwed! How are things going with you?

@Shewillcreate : Thanks! It's going good. I've done 5 practice verbal sections now all together and scored ALL 10's. So I don't know what's going on here!! Tomorrow I will start studying for the sciences. YIKES. I am so screwed! How are things going with you?

You know, I'd totally settle for a 10! In that, I don't think you're screwed, just stay focused. Things are slow with me but I got the tips and reminders email this morning, and it scared the crap out of me!! Haha, I think it served as the kick in the pants that I need to get on the grind;)

Countdown has officially begun! 23. DAYS REMAINING!!

Hot damn!!

You know, I'd totally settle for a 10! In that, I don't think you're screwed, just stay focused. Things are slow with me but I got the tips and reminders email this morning, and it scared the crap out of me!! Haha, I think it served as the kick in the pants that I need to get on the grind;)

Hot damn!!

Haa, same experience here with the tips and reminders email - just finished all the SAs over the weekend, and I'll be reviewing them and making flashcards for the next two days, then it's back to full lengths. We're finally close enough to the test date for me to be freaking out again; I've been canceling/limiting social plans like a machine this morning, and am looking forward to getting some solid work in over the next 3 weeks.

@Shewillcreate & @lumberjack89
Hahaha, yeah that email kinda gave me a shocker face. o_O
But, I don't know how the 10's will correlate to the real deal! I really need to start focusing. I started "studying" just a week ago. So much for studying 40 hour weeks... (like I intended to)! Hmmm, I just don't know how to stay FOCUSED!! :( &ND Lumberjack: I feel you on the cutting out social plans..I was suppose to go to a Sharks game tomorrow night! :cryi:

23 Days is waaayyy to little time! :boom:

What is everyone applying for... M.D. or D.O.?

M.D. This thread has been quiet for some days now. I guess everyone is busy studying and taking practice tests. Good luck everyone.

Hot damn!!

I'm panicking because I don't recall receiving any e-mails. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

@Shewillcreate & @lumberjack89
Hahaha, yeah that email kinda gave me a shocker face. o_O
But, I don't know how the 10's will correlate to the real deal! I really need to start focusing. I started "studying" just a week ago. So much for studying 40 hour weeks... (like I intended to)! Hmmm, I just don't know how to stay FOCUSED!! :( &ND Lumberjack: I feel you on the cutting out social plans..I was suppose to go to a Sharks game tomorrow night! :cryi:

23 Days is waaayyy to little time! :boom:

What is everyone applying for... M.D. or D.O.?

MD! A friend of mine asked me why I said "no" seven times to going out...here's the answer I gave them :D

Once upon a time, in an unknown location, there lived a grasshopper and an ant. The grasshopper went to visit his friend the ant, and asked him whether he would like to sing and dance in a nearby meadow. Mr Ant kindly refused, explaining that he had to search for food, in order to feed his family for the upcoming winter season. Mr Hopper nodded, and went to the meadow for his own delectation. A week passed by, and Mr Hopper had not heard from his from his friend the ant, so again, he went to visit his friend. Once again, Mr Ant politely refused as he had to gather more food in order to provide for his family during the upcoming winter season.

Due to the harsh winter climate, and the fact that Mr Hopper had danced and sang his days away; he had no sustenance available to him. He knocked on his friend's door, and asked for warm shelter and food in return for a song and dance. Mr Ant, once again politely refused, he explained that he had only gathered enough food for himself and his family. He had no excess resources to subsidize Mr Hopper's empty stomach.

The moral of the story? Be like Mr Ant! Study every day, and reap the rewards in the future :) Be ready for the winter - be ready for the MCAT.:woot::woot:

For those of you taking GS FLs, what do you think about the scoring scale?

Their scale is more lenient than other tests, you can get a 31-33/52 on sciences and still end up with a 10-11. To be honest, I wouldn't even look at their score because they rely heavily on recalling facts for both sciences so it's not an accurate indicator of your real score imo. Their passages are super short but, it's really good practice though.

Their scale is more lenient than other tests, you can get a 31-33/52 on sciences and still end up with a 10-11. To be honest, I wouldn't even look at their score because they rely heavily on recalling facts for both sciences so it's not an accurate indicator of your real score imo. Their passages are super short but, it's really good practice though.
I thought so too.

with GS 31-33 will not get you a 10/11 on any of the sciences. You need like 35+ to get a 10. But GS tests are really good practice and if you can recall the facts you certainly know the material well enough to bend it to apply to it passages. So in a way the scores have been similar to my AAMC practice exams. I believe that my scores will increase because more practice is making me more focused. PS is very similar imo and biology is good to test knowledge base.

I've had the exact opposite experience, curiously - my AAMC average is higher than my GS average by a significant margin, and I took 8 GS tests and 6 AAMCs. I thought the GS tests were harder, and very different (as is everything) from the AAMC tests. Anywhoo, I'm still reviewing SAs and I'll be taking the last two GS tests in the next 10 days or so, apparently they're a bit different from the rest.

Re: general studying practices, I also decided to shut down and/or not use all my social media platforms until after test day - Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. are all out. I'm getting to the point where I'd do almost anything to secure more study time :p

Hey everyone! I am applying for D.O.! I currently have a 3.65c/3.69s GPA and I am aiming for a 25-27! Obviously, higher than that would be better but I only have a month to study! The school I want to go to averages are a 3.45c/3.34s & a 27 MCAT! Thoughts?

Go get em!! Attack dem MCAT books! :diebanana:

Hey everyone! I am applying for D.O.! I currently have a 3.65c/3.69s GPA and I am aiming for a 25-27! Obviously, higher than that would be better but I only have a month to study! The school I want to go to averages are a 3.45c/3.34s & a 27 MCAT! Thoughts?

I love your enthusiasm, and you can do it! My plan right now is to polish up content review (or any adjustments I need to make), and get to solving passages and FLs!:woot: We're almost there!

Oh, and:

nfjFDPp.jpg

I love you MCAT :love:

Have you taken any full lengths yet, just to see where you are score-wise? I think you could do it depending on where you are now. I probably couldn't even have gotten mid 20s with one month of study, but that's because I graduated 3+ years ago, so I was rusty - if you're more fresh on the material I bet a month would be enough for a mid-to-high 20s score!

Hmm, the new practice MCAT test came out today. Is anyone planning on purchasing it for practice but skipping the new section? I might do this since I've taken most of the old aamcs already

@lumberjack89 I have taken 1 about hmmm like a month ago and got a 23. I should probably take another exam. I took physics/gen chem in 2011-2012 and I took organic/bio this past year! But, I honestly didn't learn much in physics or organic chemistry... YIKES! What exactly should I work on? Should I go through as much content and then FLs or should I just do a lot of FLs and see what happens? Thanks for your support! :highfive:

@camng22 Maybe! I should probably do some FL's. :shrug:

I forgot to ask: Is anyone here taking the exam in San Francisco? Just curious!

@lumberjack89 I have taken 1 about hmmm like a month ago and got a 23. I should probably take another exam. I took physics/gen chem in 2011-2012 and I took organic/bio this past year! But, I honestly didn't learn much in physics or organic chemistry... YIKES! What exactly should I work on? Should I go through as much content and then FLs or should I just do a lot of FLs and see what happens? Thanks for your support! :highfive:

@camng22 Maybe! I should probably do some FL's. :shrug:

Based on the fact that you got a 23 I would think your goal is certainly possible if you work hard - what to do with a month is difficult to say, however. I guess if I were in your situation I would try to take a full length or two each week, thoroughly review it, and use that review to discover which areas of content you're weak in. Then, after reviewing the full length, try to hammer out your weaknesses with problem sets, passages, flashcards, content reading, etc. in the areas your weaknesses hurt your score the most.

Blindly taking full length after full length with only a day or so to review afterwards did almost nothing to help my score, and I took around 10 full lengths in that manner with zero improvement. The thing that seems to be more beneficial, I think, is taking full lengths with adequate time in between to actually address and master your weak areas by working lots of extra problems.

Last edited:
@lumberjack89 Thank you for your help, seriously! I really don't know what I should do...it's already OCT 1ST!!!! I'll do what you've told me and kinda focus on my weaknesses. :) Thank you thank you! How's studying going on your end?

@lumberjack89 Thank you for your help, seriously! I really don't know what I should do...it's already OCT 1ST!!!! I'll do what you've told me and kinda focus on my weaknesses. :) Thank you thank you! How's studying going on your end?

My advice, for what it's worth, is to review content where you feel you possess an inadequate amount of information. Then, and only then, move on to FLs. You have plenty of time. You should spend no more than 2 days reviewing Physics content while solving passages (TPR SWB is preferred). If you gaze upon TB/PR's Physics table of contents; ask yourself if you know enough about chapters 1-10. Upon answering that question your gaps in content will be exposed (or not! :)). For example, you may know enough of Kinematics, but perhaps desire to acquire a more richer understanding of Magnetism.

Hey guys, how is everyone doing? I'm currently going over content, but it seems so inefficient. I feel like I am forgetting content I had gone over days ago as I fill my head with new things. I've had enough and I'm starting passage-based questions tomorrow. I'm using the TBR book.

I'm going to take a TBR FL on Thursday. I typically take too long on the PS sections, so that is my major worry. How is everyone else's prep going?

My advice, for what it's worth, is to review content where you feel you possess an inadequate amount of information. Then, and only then, move on to FLs. You have plenty of time. You should spend no more than 2 days reviewing Physics content while solving passages (TPR SWB is preferred). If you gaze upon TB/PR's Physics table of contents; ask yourself if you know enough about chapters 1-10. Upon answering that question your gaps in content will be exposed (or not! :)). For example, you may know enough of Kinematics, but perhaps desire to acquire a more richer understanding of Magnetism.
I like your advise but it seems to me that almost every FL I take require little to know content. I see this as a more reasoning than content review exam and by taking FLs, you learn to take the exam and think like the test maker. This is why humanities majors do so well because they are able to really understand complex passages and answer most questions by making reference to the passages. I would advise people to spend more time reviewing FL learning how to think like the test maker and quickly use some you tube on weak topics; understanding the general concept is important to answer MCAT questions not essentially knowing all the details

Reactions: 4 users