The Official October 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorInASaree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

As of today, we are less than three months away from writing one of the most important exams in our lives.

What are your studying strategies? How are you feeling about the MCAT?

We're all in this together, so let's get this discussion started!

And remember, October 21st, save the date!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, how is everyone doing? I'm currently going over content, but it seems so inefficient. I feel like I am forgetting content I had gone over days ago as I fill my head with new things. I've had enough and I'm starting passage-based questions tomorrow. I'm using the TBR book.

I'm going to take a TBR FL on Thursday. I typically take too long on the PS sections, so that is my major worry. How is everyone else's prep going?

Hi there! I can certainly relate to your experience. I did two things: 1) Anki 2) Craft "end of chapter" summary notes for each chapter in TBR. Constrained to a single page. The MCAT is a reasoning test. But, we do need knowledge to base our reasoning upon. Condense TBR's content until you develop an intuition for the respective topic of study.

Hi there! I can certainly relate to your experience. I did two things: 1) Anki 2) Craft "end of chapter" summary notes for each chapter in TBR. Constrained to a single page. The MCAT is a reasoning test. But, we do need knowledge to base our reasoning upon. Condense TBR's content until you develop an intuition for the respective topic of study.

Anki is very helpful, but I'm still only using it for review predominantly. Are you making your own cards or are downloading shared decks?

It most certainly is a thinking test, but there is a LOT that must be known forwards and backwards.

When you say craft single page chapter summaries for TBR, do you mean hand-write out?

@lumberjack89 Thank you for your help, seriously! I really don't know what I should do...it's already OCT 1ST!!!! I'll do what you've told me and kinda focus on my weaknesses. :) Thank you thank you! How's studying going on your end?

Good - today I'll finish up reviewing the AAMC SAs and addressing weaknesses, tomorrow I'll be back to taking full lengths and reviewing them. I've only got two GS test and two AAMC tests left, so I think I'll alternate GS/AAMC tests until test day, with AAMC #11 being the final full length I take right before the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anki is very helpful, but I'm still only using it for review predominantly. Are you making your own cards or are downloading shared decks?

It most certainly is a thinking test, but there is a LOT that must be known forwards and backwards.

When you say craft single page chapter summaries for TBR, do you mean hand-write out?

Anki - I create my own cards

Yes, hand-written! So, how to go about this? If you recall, at the beginning of each TBR chapter in Physics, TBR presents you with key equations and graphs, etc. You could model your single-page summary based on TBR's summary; although yours should contain granular details (tailor them to what you feel you lack). For example, there may be no point in writing down d = vt, but perhaps the SuperHero equation d = v1 t +1/2 a(delta t^2) might be of interest to you.

That's right! I name all of my equations :D No t in the equation? How can you not have time?! Magic Formula :p

Edit: I do agree with you that a mastery of content is highly coveted. Why leave change on the table, right? :)

Anki - I create my own cards

Yes, hand-written! So, how to go about this? If you recall, at the beginning of each TBR chapter in Physics, TBR presents you with key equations and graphs, etc. You could model your single-page summary based on TBR's summary; although yours should contain granular details (tailor them to what you feel you lack). For example, there may be no point in writing down d = vt, but perhaps the SuperHero equation d = v1 t +1/2 a(delta t^2) might be of interest to you.

That's right! I name all of my equations :D No t in the equation? How can you not have time?! Magic Formula :p

Edit: I do agree with you that a mastery of content is highly coveted. Why leave change on the table, right? :)

I started to do that earlier in the week - making sure I could answer every single page TBR summary at the beginning of each chapter, but it mostly seems like stuff I more than covered during the content review. This is different for TBR Bio though - there's a lot of great exceptions and specific details that they emphasize, like the difference between action potentials in skeletal and cardiac muscle.

I actually still haven't started full lengths, and it's been a while since I've done the TBR passages. I have this stubborn need to make sure I have all of the content down before I "waste" the test material, but at this point I highly doubt I will be able to even complete 2/3 of the TBR section passages not to mention the FL's. How are you doing with the passage-based questions at the end of each chapter and the FL's?

Reactions: 1 user
I started to do that earlier in the week - making sure I could answer every single page TBR summary at the beginning of each chapter, but it mostly seems like stuff I more than covered during the content review. This is different for TBR Bio though - there's a lot of great exceptions and specific details that they emphasize, like the difference between action potentials in skeletal and cardiac muscle.

I actually still haven't started full lengths, and it's been a while since I've done the TBR passages. I have this stubborn need to make sure I have all of the content down before I "waste" the test material, but at this point I highly doubt I will be able to even complete 2/3 of the TBR section passages not to mention the FL's. How are you doing with the passage-based questions at the end of each chapter and the FL's?

I used TBR passages to assess my understanding of content. However, now I am more concerned with reasoning passages that one can find in TPR's workbook. I did well on the TBR passages, and I will be writing FLs next week! (I've only completed AAMC 3, and scored well :)).

[...pant, pant, pant...]

FINALLY back to taking full lengths today.

Took GS-9 and got a 34 (10/12/12) which isn't as high as I'd like, but it's as good as I've done on a GS test, which I personally find harder than the AAMC material. Either way, the PS section really highlighted some of my weak areas, so I'm glad for the insight, and will be hammering those out over the weekend. Dang is it good to be taking full lengths again though: 5-6 weeks of content review and weakness work without a full length score for reference felt like wandering in the dark. Can't wait to work on these weaknesses and take a couple more AAMC full lengths!

I used TBR passages to assess my understanding of content. However, now I am more concerned with reasoning passages that one can find in TPR's workbook. I did well on the TBR passages, and I will be writing FLs next week! (I've only completed AAMC 3, and scored well :)).

That's a relief. I have been told to start practice exams a full month before the exam, so I've been worrying about not having started them. I just got the TPRH Science Workbook which looks great, so I think I'm going to start it tomorrow. I think I'll start FL's next week as well so I'll have a good 2wks. dedicated to them. Supplementing with anki review.

[...pant, pant, pant...]

FINALLY back to taking full lengths today.

Took GS-9 and got a 34 (10/12/12) which isn't as high as I'd like, but it's as good as I've done on a GS test, which I personally find harder than the AAMC material. Either way, the PS section really highlighted some of my weak areas, so I'm glad for the insight, and will be hammering those out over the weekend. Dang is it good to be taking full lengths again though: 5-6 weeks of content review and weakness work without a full length score for reference felt like wandering in the dark. Can't wait to work on these weaknesses and take a couple more AAMC full lengths!

Content review sucks so much. It's all based on perception, so I could feel like I know everything one moment and then feel like I've forgotten everything else the next.

It is also boring, since it's so passive.

Reactions: 2 users
I am doing fine. I know almost everyone is busy with practice tests. How is everyone doing? Countdown guys. In addition, lets make this thread alive.

I am so not ready for this exam and at the same time so ready to get this finally over and done with.

How can two weeks seem so far and yet so so short at the same time?

Is everyone really busy with practice tests?

I worked today (SAT tutor - last weekend before their final SAT.

Tomorrow, I will do maybe 3hrs. of bio review, followed by TPRH passage-based questions.

I will do TPRH passage-based questions until TBR FL 1 .

How is it going guys? The Kaplan section tests are killing me smh. I am going to spend this whole week doing all kaplan section tests to prepare me for awkward passages and last week to do AAMCs 9,10 and 11. GOOD LUCK to us all!

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it going guys? The Kaplan section tests are killing me smh. I am going to spend this whole week doing all kaplan section tests to prepare me for awkward passages and last week to do AAMCs 9,10 and 11. GOOD LUCK to us all!

I just started the PR practice tests today and am a little shocked at how different and more difficult it is compared to the AAMC. Yikes. Freaking out a little bit.. Going to be drilling those practice tests and passages non-stop!

How is everyone else doing on memorization of content?

I have moreless given up on memorizing everything - as soon as I memorize one thing, I forget everything else I have tried to memorize. I've resorted to just practice tests and passages in the mean time, but I'm assuming I'll definitely have to site down again and just work on memorizing stuff sooner or later (eps. the equations).

I've also noticed that PR gives you a lot of the equations and things you would need to memorize in their passages, while the AAMC does not seem to do that as nearly often. Anybody else noticed this or is it just me?

Hello everyone! Just found this thread and jumping on the wagon for the last two weeks! Hows everyone doing? Currently I'm practicing on hyper learning mcat verbal since I'm really really still worried on this section. As for bio , I'm reading back my notes! I bought the AAMC package where they give you a load of physics questions in one bundle etc. a month ago , its pretty okay just that its not as hard as AAMC FL #11 which I thought verbal was crazy!!

I'm pretty stuck about what I'm really suppose to do now, in the last two weeks.. I'm currently in my 4th year honours doing research and each day probably about 2-3 hours of studying that I can squeeze in. And on the weekends I do my best to give equal proportion for school assignments and mcat study. What are you guys planning to do in the last two weeks?

How is everyone else doing on memorization of content?

I have moreless given up on memorizing everything - as soon as I memorize one thing, I forget everything else I have tried to memorize. I've resorted to just practice tests and passages in the mean time, but I'm assuming I'll definitely have to site down again and just work on memorizing stuff sooner or later (eps. the equations).

I've also noticed that PR gives you a lot of the equations and things you would need to memorize in their passages, while the AAMC does not seem to do that as nearly often. Anybody else noticed this or is it just me?

me too! I feel like I need to focus primarily on doing as much questions as I can before the test. I think it surely helps cause we will be exposed to as many types of topics all mesh into one at once! Kill two birds with one stone? hahaha, good luck!

Hahaaaa, yeah, I love how this thread is finally blowing up with just a couple weeks left! I gotta say, after studying for months I'm baaaaasically just looking to maintain my scores as they are. Even though I'm freaking out along with everyone else, there's just not a whole lot we can do at this point as far as making drastic improvements (or losses, for that matter).

I'm just going to be working problem sets in my weakest areas and taking a full length every 3 to 4 days or so, reviewing my notes, eating healthy, sleeping a lot, exercising every day, etc. and trying my best to get in a good frame of mind. This late in the game I think the most important advantage we can accrue for ourselves is a positive, aggressive mindset as we approach the test. Pretty much all the content review and such is over; we just need to come to peace with the performance levels we've achieved, have confidence in ourselves, and realize that whatever happens happens. If we've got to re-take, that will be that, but for now, let's focus on getting amped up and ready to wreak havoc all up in this *****.

So I've been stuck on this particular concept for awhile now - anybody wanna take a stab at this and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

So from my understanding... The velocity of longitudinal waves (i.e. sound) is proportional to resistance, and inversely proportional to the density of the medium. But at the same time, sound travels the slowest in gas, and fastest in solid. Don't solid have a greater density than gas? Thus, wouldn't that contradict velocity being inversely proportional to density?

So I've been stuck on this particular concept for awhile now - anybody wanna take a stab at this and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

So from my understanding... The velocity of longitudinal waves (i.e. sound) is proportional to resistance, and inversely proportional to the density of the medium. But at the same time, sound travels the slowest in gas, and fastest in solid. Don't solid have a greater density than gas? Thus, wouldn't that contradict velocity being inversely proportional to density?

You know 2 things:

1) v = d / t OR in this case specifically ( v = wavelength / t )

2) Density (P) psolid > pgas

Molecules are closer together in solids than they are in gases. Therefore, it takes LESS time (very small t values) to travel between molecules, resulting in greater velocity in a solid.

Or think of it this way: Consider Ms. Solid, Mr Liquid, and Mr Gas. All 3 want to reach the same destination A. Ms Solid starts 50m out, Mr Liquid 100m out, and Mr Gas 150m out. Ms Solid takes the freeway, while Mr Liquid takes the side road, and Mr Gas is stuck in congested traffic. Who gets there the fastest? Ms. Solid - because she is spending less time getting there, and taking the most efficient route (minimized d and t values).

-----------------

For what it's worth...you're quite right that V is inversely proportional to density. It is V = SQRT(elastic property / density). The counter-intuitive fact is that the elastic property is quite high in solids which offsets a solid's high density value (relative to l and g). Note that that it is easier for solids to resist compression, which results in a high elastic property.

Edit: This is one of my handy Verbal tactics - CHECK YOUR PREMISE(S)!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

Last edited:

Don't over think. Just think of solids as having closely packed electrons or particles so more able to vibrate and move faster than gases with particles way further apart. Real life Scenario: You can tell a train is fast approaching by putting ears closer to the rails than standing there and observing. Well am going to sleep and dream about some of the questions on the exam

You know 2 things:

1) v = d / t OR in this case specifically ( v = wavelength / t )

2) Density (P) psolid > pgas

Molecules are closer together in solids than they are in gases. Therefore, it takes LESS time (very small t values) to travel between molecules, resulting in greater velocity in a solid.

Or think of it this way: Consider Ms. Solid, Mr Liquid, and Mr Gas. All 3 want to reach the same destination A. Ms Solid starts 50m out, Mr Liquid 100m out, and Mr Gas 150m out. Ms Solid takes the freeway, while Mr Liquid takes the side road, and Mr Gas is stuck in congested traffic. Who gets there the fastest? Ms. Solid - because she is spending less time getting there, and taking the most efficient route (minimized d and t values).

-----------------

For what it's worth...you're quite right that V is inversely proportional to density. It is V = SQRT(elastic property / density). The counter-intuitive fact is that the elastic property is quite high in solids which offsets a solid's high density value (relative to l and g). Note that that it is easier for solids to resist compression, which results in a high elastic property.

Edit: This is one of my handy Verbal tactics - CHECK YOUR PREMISE(S)!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D
Are you some Indian goddess or something? I need me some powers lol

I was creeping into the Sept 6th thread because they all got their scores few minutes ago. Saw mixed of emotions and was thinking of how the exact same will happen when we get ours. Lol

I was creeping into the Sept 6th thread because they all got their scores few minutes ago. Saw mixed of emotions and was thinking of how the exact same will happen when we get ours. Lol

True that :p I just hope I'm one of the lucky ones. I can barely imagine what waiting through that entire month for our scores is going to be like. I'm probably going to be coming to this thread like a alcoholic to an AA meeting: "haaaalp!"

Drove the route this morning. Can hardly believe the test is so close, but I feel like I'm really starting to peak. Good luck to everyone in these last 2 weeks!

^ I have a solid 1.5 hour drive to an 8am test, so I'm going to have to be getting into a good "wake up early" schedule soon, and definitely driving the route.

I'm just about to start GS-10, and will be back here with a score in a few hours - peace!

^ I have a solid 1.5 hour drive to an 8am test, so I'm going to have to be getting into a good "wake up early" schedule soon, and definitely driving the route.

I'm just about to start GS-10, and will be back here with a score in a few hours - peace!
About to do the same. See you on the other side.

Checking in during my break between PS and VR sections - daaaaaang that PS section was rough, can't wait till the end of the test to see how bad my PS score is :rofl::banana::rofl:
Getting my break between VR and BS. The PS was terrible. I ended up randomly guessing. LOL.

Getting my break between VR and BS. The PS was terrible. I ended up randomly guessing. LOL.

Currently on break between VR and BS - yeah, the PS was insane. I normally do a good bit of educated guessing in the PS section - however, this not only felt like a lot of that "educated" guessing, but also a lot of "Uh...what? I guess I'll pick D. D is close to O, which is round, and I like round things. Yep, stickin' with D."

On to BS - good luck on VR!

Currently on break between VR and BS - yeah, the PS was insane. I normally do a good bit of educated guessing in the PS section - however, this not only felt like a lot of that "educated" guessing, but also a lot of "Uh...what? I guess I'll pick D. D is close to O, which is round, and I like round things. Yep, stickin' with D."

On to BS - good luck on VR!
How did the practice go?

^Good enough for me, anyways: I got a 35 (10/13/12) which is the best I've done so far on a GS test, which is encouraging. I have no idea how 35/52 = 67% translates into a score of 10 for the PS section though, which seems way too generous of an adjusted score, and as always that section has me kinda worried.

I would be totally satisfied with my scores in VR/BS, and at the end of the day if this was my real MCAT spread I would be a happy camper, though of course I'm dreaming of seeing my PS score somehow come up to balance the other sections. I've always been better with ideas than numbers, and PS has been my biggest weakness the whole time. So if there's some magical coincidence and the Oct. 21st test features my PS strengths (if they can be called that), I might be able to walk away with an 11 or 12 on that section, which are my best days, but if not, I'll be looking at an 8 or 9 which are my worst. So who knows - I've taken 15 tests and my overall average is 32.3, and the more I take the more locked in that seems to get, so I'm just settling into the idea of scoring within a couple points of that. Probably. Or something.

Nothing to it but to do it at this point. I'm looking forward to taking the last two AAMC tests I have (#10 and #11) to see what happens.

Mine was 10/11/12 for GS 10. The scaling is a little bit generous. I got 36/52 in the PS though. I have four more AAMC FL left which I will be knocking out before the d-day. How's everyone doing?

Hey everyone, just joining in on the conversation! I'm finishing up the 3rd phase of TBR and hitting up Khan to try and enhance my bio scores. I've taken three AAMC's so far and will be taking three more this next week! Here's my progress (sorta) in order of having taken them:

AAMC #7: (10/10/8) 28
AAMC #4: (13/12/9) 34
AAMC #9: (10/10/9) 29

I am aiming for a 30, and I think I'm more than capable. Just need to shore up some silly mistakes in PS and hopefully get a few guesses right in BS.

Good luck everybody!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone did anyone's test site change one week ago. Lol mine did love how they keep throwing curveballs to psyche us out! Haha jk

Happy to hear that many of you are writing FLs and scoring well :D

Are you some Indian goddess or something? I need me some powers lol

I wish :D I'll settle for @namesthegame21 giving us her Biology powers:woot:

True that :p I just hope I'm one of the lucky ones. I can barely imagine what waiting through that entire month for our scores is going to be like. I'm probably going to be coming to this thread like a alcoholic to an AA meeting: "haaaalp!"

I can only imagine!

Hey everyone did anyone's test site change one week ago. Lol mine did love how they keep throwing curveballs to psyche us out! Haha jk

Thanks for making me panic for no good reason :mad::D

Seriously? The biggest psyche-out is Salty the Kracker. Saltyyyy!

Last edited:
^ Salty the Kracker is easily the weirdest thing I've seen in a textbook since I was in elementary school. If hallucinogens weren't involved in the creation of Salty, I just.....it......how....??

Guys I wanna reschedule.. I'm not ready. (Scoring around 9s consistently and was really shooting for a 34/35. I don't want a mediocre score - I really want a good score.)

Do you think it'll be safe to just cancel and wait until a week or so before the next available test date to open up seats? Right now pretty much every state is open for 10/21 and 10/25.

Last edited:
Guys I wanna reschedule.. I'm not ready. (Scoring around 9s consistently and was really shooting for a 34/35. I don't want a mediocre score - I really want a good score.)

Do you think it'll be safe to just cancel and wait until a week or so before the next available test date to open up seats? Right now pretty much every state is open for 10/21 and 10/25.

Which practice tests are you scoring consistent 9s on? Why don't you just take the test and void if you're really going to reschedule

Which practice tests are you scoring consistent 9s on? Why don't you just take the test and void if you're really going to reschedule
Yeah I was thinking about that too. I'll probably end up doing that since I won't be getting a refund at this point anyways.

I'm just concerned of the risk of no seats opening up in November. But by the looks of the current state of the 10/21 and 10/25 test dates, I'm hoping that won't happen. :/

I have only taken AAMC 7, PR 1 and 2 (didn't really start practicing until about 2 weeks ago, wasted way too much time on content review). I have been substituting examkraker for PR verbal. I just reviewed 2 and want to smack myself in the face - I should have gotten the majority of the questions I have missed. (I was pretty tired when I took the test).

Yeah I was thinking about that too. I'll probably end up doing that since I won't be getting a refund at this point anyways.

I'm just concerned of the risk of no seats opening up in November. But by the looks of the current state of the 10/21 and 10/25 test dates, I'm hoping that won't happen. :/

I have only taken AAMC 7, PR 1 and 2 (didn't really start practicing until about 2 weeks ago, wasted way too much time on content review). I have been substituting examkraker for PR verbal. I just reviewed 2 and want to smack myself in the face - I should have gotten the majority of the questions I have missed. (I was pretty tired when I took the test).
On the other hand, I have the entire next week to study. I don't have work or school. So there's that too..

Seems like you haven't been doing that many tests. I would definitely void the test then if I were you since the test is in around 11 days and you only took 3 so far and didnt get the scores you wanted. Really analyze each question on the real mcat and compare them from the AAMC / PR exams because they're definitely different. Also, I wouldn't take your practice scores too seriously from other tests and would base your score mostly from AAMC 8-11. I'm not sure if you should try and take a test from aamc8-11 to see what score you get though, since the material is precious and you shouldn't waste them if youre going to retake. I would recommend doing them after doing a lot of practice problems/tests to be honest. Usually people ALWAYS drop their seats around their MCAT date so just be on a look out a few weeks before the test, but in the meantime study as if youre going to take it in November.

Seems like you haven't been doing that many tests. I would definitely void the test then if I were you since the test is in around 11 days and you only took 3 so far and didnt get the scores you wanted. Really analyze each question on the real mcat and compare them from the AAMC / PR exams because they're definitely different. Also, I wouldn't take your practice scores too seriously from other tests and would base your score mostly from AAMC 8-11. I'm not sure if you should try and take a test from aamc8-11 to see what score you get though, since the material is precious and you shouldn't waste them if youre going to retake. I would recommend doing them after doing a lot of practice problems/tests to be honest. Usually people ALWAYS drop their seats around their MCAT date so just be on a look out a few weeks before the test, but in the meantime study as if youre going to take it in November.
I think you're right. I need to be honest with myself and take it when I'm ready. Forcing this last minute will definitely do more harm than anything else. Thank you for your advice, it is comforting to get a second opinion on this. Good luck everyone on the 21st!! Last stretch - almost there! I'll catch up to you guys soon enough. :)

Just got done with AAMC #5 and scored a 30 (11/10/9). It's right at my average (28, 34, 29, 30). This was a disappointing 30 for me, because I changed 7 answers that would have increased my score by 2 points. That's aggravating. I seem to be bad at toeing the line between doubting myself and trusting my gut. Anyone have any advice regarding that?

Just got done with AAMC #5 and scored a 30 (11/10/9). It's right at my average (28, 34, 29, 30). This was a disappointing 30 for me, because I changed 7 answers that would have increased my score by 2 points. That's aggravating. I seem to be bad at toeing the line between doubting myself and trusting my gut. Anyone have any advice regarding that?

Don't trust your gut, he just wants food. :D

Trust your intuition - if you've learned anything from AAMC5 it would be that. Be confident in your MCAT acumen. This will haunt you in Verbal.

Don't trust your gut, he just wants food. :D

Trust your intuition - if you've learned anything from AAMC5 it would be that. Be confident in your MCAT acumen. This will haunt you in Verbal.

I think I can agree with that. Also, this is going to sound very odd, but how does one post game effectively? The only thing I really do is look over what I miss and memorize the fact regarding it. Obviously this isn't providing good results, so I was wondering what I can change.

Anyone know of any good downloadable mcat review lectures? I have a 3 hour drive to my mcat, and it would be nice if I could download some biology reviews to listen to! Make the most out of all our free time :p

Also, just started TPR Verbal, and am already seeing a huge jump! Totally recommend if you are struggling in verbal.

I think I can agree with that. Also, this is going to sound very odd, but how does one post game effectively? The only thing I really do is look over what I miss and memorize the fact regarding it. Obviously this isn't providing good results, so I was wondering what I can change.
Ditto that.