The Official September 6, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxelhs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bit early, but post here if you're writing on this date. For me, it's looking to be third time's the charm hopefully.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh and I'm a September 10th baby, so good luck to all of you writing tommorow - remember to kill it.

:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Alright guys, calling it quits with the studying. Here's how I'm going into the exam:

AAMC 3 - 34 (12/10/12)
AAMC 4 - 34 (14/9/11)
AAMC 5 - 34 ( 13/10/11)
AAMC 7 - 35 ( 14/10/11)
AAMC 8 - 33 ( 13/9/11)
AAMC 9 - 36 (15/9/12)
AAMC 10 - 35 (12/9/14)
AAMC 11 - 35 (11/10/14)

Looks like I'm most probably going to hit a 34. The only wild card is my VR. If I get 11 in VR I will be ecstatic.

Realistic expectation : 35 - 13/10/12

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm feeling some strange Stockholm Syndrome right now. I just realized that after this, instead of just having the excuse to focus on one thing only (MCAT), I'm going to have to worry about classes/research/work etc.

Just kidding, that only lasted like 20 seconds.

Good Luck everyone 30+ all around

Alright, one more post for the night: . Music might be a bit dated if you aren't a non-trad :laugh:.

I'm signing off till after the MCAT.

I'm going to be writing Sept. 10 as well. Best of luck to everyone. I've got AAMC 11 left for this weekend and some general review.

All i want is to be ultra focused on the exam, since my mistakes are always careless errors. And I'm sure for everyone reading, there is little gap in content for us at this point. We know the system, we can make it work. Focus up everyone, it's game time!

Goodluck to all the September 6 writers!

Just one tip that helped me get in the right mindset when I took it,

Think of it as AAMC 12, a new practice test. You guys have spent 3 or so months studying for this beast, others were partying while you were exhaustingly trying to memorize that posterior pituitary hormones are created in the hypothalamus.

Tomorrow you will win and you will come on top. Make sure you're controlling the MCAT, don't let the test control you or you will run out of time no matter how prepared you are. Nerves are one of the biggest score breakers.

So just go in there and conquer this beast with all the knowledge you've gained the past three months.

Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 6 users
Goodluck to all the September 6 writers!

Just one tip that helped me get in the right mindset when I took it,

Think of it as AAMC 12, a new practice test. You guys have spent 3 or so months studying for this beast, others were partying while you were exhaustingly trying to memorize that posterior pituitary hormones are created in the hypothalamus.

Tomorrow you will win and you will come on top. Make sure you're controlling the MCAT, don't let the test control you or you will run out of time no matter how prepared you are. Nerves are one of the biggest score breakers.

So just go in there and conquer this beast with all the knowledge you've gained the past three months.

Good luck to you all!

i really liked that

Members don't see this ad :)
lets treat this just like another practice exam. No stress, no worries, just attack it

Verbal was more than manageable. PS threw a few loops but I felt was fair. BS seemed rather organic heavy but overall felt okay. I am not really sure what to think. Could have done above par could have done below par.

Not too bad but preparing for worst. Just hoping it's 36 or higher

PS wasn't hard unless I missed something. Normally I find it hard though so who knows.

Verbal was standard. Passages were long so I didn't have as much time to check.

BS was tricky as there were a couple tricky passages.

PS- Easier than expected.. one or two difficult passages. Discretes not too shabby I guess.
VR-After first two passages I was feeling great, but then looked at the time and I wasn't doing so well on that. Had to guess on a passage and a half.
BS- Orgo heavy!! Not as bad as I thought.

Could go both ways for me, A 30+ would be nice :)

Also.. I feel like PS is a huge blur to me. I can barely remember any of it. BS is completely different though I remember almost all of it lol

PS - not too bad, though I know for a fact I got one relatively easy discrete wrong. I figured it out just as the bubble saying "you have run out of time" popped up, which is frustrating. I'm going to ahead and predict my usual 9. It actually reminded me of a lot of a Kaplan PS (vs an AAMC one).

VR - Passages were easier to read than I've ever seen (though a few questions were hard). I mean, there was no passage I didn't comprehend and there were references to where to look for things (this was present in Kaplan exams, but not on the practice AAMC). Predicting a 10.

BS - WTF!!! O-Chem heavy and experimental bio heavy. It combined all my weaknesses in one test and I felt like I was repeatedly getting spanked by the section only to ask with each new passage, "please sir, may I have another." I'd be lucky to hit my AAMC low of a 7 (but who knows).

Experimental Section - Mine was all psychology. Thing is, I have never taken psychology (do have a degree in sociology, but never covered pure psych). I put in a good faith effort, but literally had no clue what the passages or questions were asking about.

So my score prediction based on feeling 9/10/7 for a 26.

BS - WTF!!! O-Chem heavy and experimental bio heavy. It combined all my weaknesses in one test and I felt like I was repeatedly getting spanked by the section only to ask with each new passage, "please sir, may I have another." I'd be lucky to hit my AAMC low of a 7 (but who knows).

So my score prediction based on feeling 9/10/7 for a 26.

LOLOLOL Fifty Shades of Grey, MCAT-style.

PS - The passages weren't too bad, and it was a pretty even split of gen chem & physics. Discretes pretty straight forward.
VR - uhhh... the passages seemed longer than usual to me. Just me? It was pretty fair, there was one question I kind of had a WTF reaction to in the 2nd passage, I believe (hint: ♫)
BS - lots of experimental biology, genetics, and organic, but also felt it was fair.

[Edit: I'm predicting 30+ and hopefully it should be pretty balanced.]

How did it compare to the practice AAMC's? Seems like this test wasn't too bad at all except maybe for bs?

LOLOLOL Fifty Shades of Grey, MCAT-style.

JFC LOLL

I'll post a lengthier response later, but I think this exam wasn't too bad. Verbal was spot on with practice material, PS was same as practice but had more calculations, although they were pretty easy... BS had me scratching my head a few times, but it was manageable. I would say BS was similar difficulty to AAMC11.

Hmmm.

PS: not bad, didn't get any material that was what you'd call a weakness of mine. Still managed to get 2 no-brainer discretes wrong. Ugh.
VR: much better than last year. The second last passage was a bit tedious.
BS: ran into a lot of orgo, but seemed decent. A bit harder than last year.

Hoping for a 30+.

Alright well just got home, might as well weigh in:

PS : Breezed through this section without finding anything difficult. Even though I didn't have time to review anything, pretty confident I should get my average 13-14.

VR : honestly can never gauge this section but usually if I finish on time it's an okay sign. Most passages were readable without too much confusion. Predicting probably a 9+

BS: It was VERY experimental Heavy. Didn't rly feel like studying did anything for the Bio portion. It was fairly organic focused with a bit of confusing questions. That one "medical" question was a bit confusing and I googled it right away. Seem to have gotten it right.

Overall: hoping for a 35+ but will be happy with anything 33+

I thought the vr and ps were okay, but the BS was pretty hard! I actually was fine on the experimental questions, just had trouble with the small details they tested on... Already checked and know i got a few content questions wrong.

PS - seemed easier than usual. i had no idea about 3 discretes but felt the rest were okay. lots of wave and electromagnetic radiation which is an ok subject for me

VR - long passages so didnt have time to check answers here

BS - damn....i was hoping for light ochem but there was soooo much. one passage was just straight up 2nd semester ochem (4 questions). got killed here hoping for a good curve....

Ok, it's good to know BS was hard for other people too. I'm excited to be able to do college for real now instead of studying every night.

PS: thought it wasn't too much more difficult than practice tests - maybe 10% harder (11-12?)
Verbal: Pretty much on the money with the practice tests (10-11)
BS: usually I think I do good on practice tests and have plenty of time but I don't do as well I expect. This time it was definitely significantly harder for me so it's a tossup. Already know I got one question wrong. Sigh. (10-11?)

Overall the test was harder but I didn't have to leave any blank and had maybe a couple of questions that I completely guessed on. 31-34?

Alright just got back...I don't feel good about it. But apparently you shouldn't base anything on post-MCAT feelings.

PS: I thought was like any other AAMC. Very similar--there were a few questions that were weird but I'd be surprised if I scored significantly lower here. I got a bit cocky :X. I didn't feel too bad. (Actually..this probably means the curve for PS is going to be harsh).

VR: For some reason..maybe due to nerves, I felt like it was slightly more difficult than usual. Or maybe not--there were two passages I thought were tricky. I think my reasoning was a bit different so either I scored way lower or way higher...I took a bit longer on each question than usual; and had to double back to the passages more often than I usually did (or it could be me just being more careful cause it was the real thing)

BS: Ochem is usually my strong point--but there was ONE ochem passage that was definitely on the side of "WTF". I think this section really killed my confidence...I was definitely having trouble with some of the discretes too. Some of them seemed to have come out of nowhere and I'd never seen anything about it before.

All in all--I will probably score around my average :(. I do plan on retaking anything under 33 (my average), which means more likely than not I will retake. Going to sign up for a slot in January ASAP. Don't feel great about it :(

PS- Wasn't too bad.. some things threw me for a loop but hopefully I corrected them right when I went back and checked
VR- Might have been one of the easier VRs in my opinion hoping for an 11, but you never know with VR could easily have gotten a 9
BS- Very experimental, took me a while to dissect the tables, graphs, etc. but think I did alright.

Hoping for a 34+ but could be lower.

Caveat.. I usually had 15-20 minutes to spare on all the practice exams for PS and BS sections but for this I usually ended a section with 7 minutes TOPS.. kind of scared me a little..

Caveat.. I usually had 15-20 minutes to spare on all the practice exams for PS and BS sections but for this I usually ended a section with 7 minutes TOPS.. kind of scared me a little..

I always finished with 15-20 minutes to spare on each section; when I took it on 8/27 and the same thing happened to me. I wouldn't worry about it

Did anyone google for answers of that second passage? The one you would know about if u work at a hospital or watch House MD lol

Kind of! I've kind of just been googling anything I remember from the test...it's making me feel worse haha. Although..fingers crossed that some of the ones that were funky were experimental! I know there were a couple I missed that..I think I could make a good argument for!

What do you guys recommend for orgo? Go thru entire TBR orgo? It sounds like you got hit with heavy orgo on BS. Weird how AAMC seems to be trending away from organic, then they pull the rug out like this. My friend who took recently claimed his 1 orgo passage was more biochem related than anything. But then I see you guys post and I am like damnnn they still whip out the heavy orgo BS now and then. I ask cause I am taking 10/25 and the only pre-req I haven't done is orgo 2:(. Had great foundation in orgo I, but still I have to self teach organic 2…gahh

What do you guys recommend for orgo? Go thru entire TBR orgo? It sounds like you got hit with heavy orgo on BS. Weird how AAMC seems to be trending away from organic, then they pull the rug out like this. My friend who took recently claimed his 1 orgo passage was more biochem related than anything. But then I see you guys post and I am like damnnn they still whip out the heavy orgo BS now and then. I ask cause I am taking 10/25 and the only pre-req I haven't done is orgo 2:(. Had great foundation in orgo I, but still I have to self teach organic 2…gahh
Study orgo 2 conceptual like why one reaction over another. Not specific reactions