*^~*~^* The Official What Are My Chances/Where to Apply Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the average age of accepted students to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I decided to read this to compare myself to you all, and I see some are higher and some are lower than where I'm at. My purpose here isn't to ask what you all think...but to give some advice to those of you that are on here just waiting to see what another premed thinks about their stats. In general, and not talking about "the top ten schools", my doctor has told me that whether or not you get into medical school doesn't entirely revolve around your gpa. Sure if you have a 3.9 and let jesus borrow your chapstick that's great. But my doctor told me that some of the best doctors he knows have gotten 3.2 gpa's in undergrad...so don't count yourself out. And also, we have a professor at my school that had a 3.94 gpa in undergrad, and DID NOT get into any medical school. So, don't count yourself out just because you have a less than spectacular gpa. Just chill. It will work out if you let it...but then again, I'm just a premed like you....:D

Members don't see this ad :)
The entire admissions process is just so weird.... you just can't tell. My friend has a 31 and a 3.8 from CUNY Brooklyn College (a pretty low-level school), and got an interview at HARVARD!!!! And, I know someone with a 35 MCAT, 3.5 GPA that hasn't gotten even 1 interview invite this entire season (he did apply a little late though, but still... 35...). Also, look on MDapplicants: Penn State accepts pretty darn low MCAT scores. Finally, I got accepted with a 29...

crizazy.

Dang man, my chances of getting into my top choice med school is low. I won't be done with my app till late august because of school and mcat. :scared:

If I don't get in this year, I may apply to some American schools for fun next year. My heart is pretty much set in Canada (unless by some outrageous happening, I am offered a substantial scholarship) I plan on staying here.

Stats:

OMSAS GPA: 3.93 (I'd imagine AMCAS will be a bit higher because the transition drops it a little)

MCAT #1: 13PS 6VR 12BS S (31S) <-- relatively certain i misbubbled, the 2nd one was harder and I didn't even finish and i didn't do any extra studying between/change technique
MCAT #2: 13PS 9VR 12BS T (34T)

ECs: alright I guess, quite a bit of commitment to pretty much everything I've done, diverse, and some unique ones

volunteering - volunteering for a while at hospital, overseas volunteering, and organized a workshop for aboriginal high school students, advisory council

research - did an NSERC summer (organization equivalent to maybe the NIH in purpose, but definitely not in resource), also will do an honours thesis if i don't get...i came in 3rd place a poster competition for my summer research

clinical - not very strong...probably tied in with the clinical stuff i experienced overseas (actual shadowing experiences in canada are the weakest part)

awards: won largest ugrad scholarship in canada, won a few while in university

what else...Hons. Genetics and Biochem graduating w/ a BSc..which I think is the same as BS in the US.

Not much else...I don't think I can claim URM status even though I am clearly of African descent as I am not a US citizen.

Whoops...my bad. Reading skills are important.

i see you just shut down your brain right after the mcat. :laugh:

At least it was functioning then, but I hope it's not completely out of commission now...I'm working on a manuscript and my professor will be ruthless if it sucks :scared: I guess that's how you learn, though. At least that's what I'll tell myself when he sends my draft back :laugh:

Hi, after reading a lot of these posts, i'm a little ashamed to try to be included, but some advice would really be helpful...

I messed up a lot in college, and didn't decide for med school until towards the end of my time in school. I have a GPA of a 3.14, SGPA is a little lower, but I think still above a 3.0. I retook the MCAT in Jan and got a 29S. I realize these numbers are low, and I do have a lot of EC/volunteering/shadowing experience. I'm also currently doing research.

I got into the post-bacc program at UC Berkeley extension... which I know will help my GPA, but I'm hoping to apply early in the cycle... so I won't even have much to show for by that time.

WHat should I do?? If I dont do the post-bacc program to impove my GPA, should I just retake the MCAT and shoot for like a 36+ ??/

ANy advice would GREATLY be appreciated

If I don't get in this year, I may apply to some American schools for fun next year. My heart is pretty much set in Canada (unless by some outrageous happening, I am offered a substantial scholarship) I plan on staying here.

Stats:

OMSAS GPA: 3.93 (I'd imagine AMCAS will be a bit higher because the transition drops it a little)

MCAT #1: 13PS 6VR 12BS S (31S) <-- relatively certain i misbubbled, the 2nd one was harder and I didn't even finish and i didn't do any extra studying between/change technique

ECs: alright I guess, quite a bit of commitment to pretty much everything I've done, diverse, and some unique ones

volunteering - volunteering for a while at hospital, overseas volunteering, and organized a workshop for aboriginal high school students, advisory council

research - did an NSERC summer (organization equivalent to maybe the NIH in purpose, but definitely not in resource), also will do an honours thesis if i don't get...i came in 3rd place a poster competition for my summer research

clinical - not very strong...probably tied in with the clinical stuff i experienced overseas (actual shadowing experiences in canada are the weakest part)

what else...Hons. Genetics and Biochem graduating w/ a BSc..which I think is the same as BS in the US.

Not much else...I don't think I can claim URM status even though I am clearly of African descent as I am not a US citizen.

Can someone comment...I'm not really sure which American schools are best. I'm kind of attracted to the "Yale way" but I don't think I have the stats for that school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, after reading a lot of these posts, i'm a little ashamed to try to be included, but some advice would really be helpful...

I messed up a lot in college, and didn't decide for med school until towards the end of my time in school. I have a GPA of a 3.14, SGPA is a little lower, but I think still above a 3.0. I retook the MCAT in Jan and got a 29S. I realize these numbers are low, and I do have a lot of EC/volunteering/shadowing experience. I'm also currently doing research.

I got into the post-bacc program at UC Berkeley extension... which I know will help my GPA, but I'm hoping to apply early in the cycle... so I won't even have much to show for by that time.

WHat should I do?? If I dont do the post-bacc program to impove my GPA, should I just retake the MCAT and shoot for like a 36+ ??/

ANy advice would GREATLY be appreciated
it depends on how you felt after the January exam. If you were scoring higher on your aamc practices and you scored lower on the real thing, chances are you may do about the same or worse. A 36 would help a lot in getting you into med school. Maybe if you are shooting for allo then you should do a combination of SMP and a 30+ on the Mcat which is the most realistic goal IMHO.

Can someone comment...I'm not really sure which American schools are best. I'm kind of attracted to the "Yale way" but I don't think I have the stats for that school.

I don't know how individual American schools look at Canadian applicants, but based on your numbers and EC's you should be competitive almost anywhere you apply. If you're interested in applying to US schools, the first step should be to look into which schools have a history of accepting Canadians and then go from there.

Does anyone want to comment on the schools that I listed on MD Apps? I ordered the MSAR, but it is taking a really long time to get here. I also need to ask some profs which places might cater to my research interests, but it's a starting point, at least. Thanks!

Does anyone want to comment on the schools that I listed on MD Apps? I ordered the MSAR, but it is taking a really long time to get here. I also need to ask some profs which places might cater to my research interests, but it's a starting point, at least. Thanks!
I'll comment on yours if you comment on mine although yours is way more interesting than mine is.

So here is my conundrum... I've got decent numbers on everything, 3.6 GPA, 3.9 BCPM (4.0 on all science courses not counting math). I've got a 33 on the MCATs. My extra curriculars are admitably weak, I've had to take care of a wife and support myself with a job through college. That being said, I've been shadowing for a year, I've got a little research experience (But nothing major, I havent published or anything like that). My major is Biomedical engineering, and my engineering classes were honors engineering classes. I've got the highest scholarship that my university provides, and have kept it up for 4 years (only 10 students here have this scholarship).

I've read enough to know that this is a decent application, nothing special... but here's what I'm wondering, and I'm hoping this wont hurt me too much. I come from a state tech school, severely underfunded, and not very renown for its academics (The average ACT is 22). At risk of offending alumni, I wont name the school. Will this hurt my application too much? I was just wondering what schools would be a stretch for me, which schools I have a fair shot at... and lastly, will my school hurt me?

So here is my conundrum... I've got decent numbers on everything, 3.6 GPA, 3.9 BCPM (4.0 on all science courses not counting math). I've got a 33 on the MCATs. My extra curriculars are admitably weak, I've had to take care of a wife and support myself with a job through college. That being said, I've been shadowing for a year, I've got a little research experience (But nothing major, I havent published or anything like that). My major is Biomedical engineering, and my engineering classes were honors engineering classes. I've got the highest scholarship that my university provides, and have kept it up for 4 years (only 10 students here have this scholarship).

I've read enough to know that this is a decent application, nothing special... but here's what I'm wondering, and I'm hoping this wont hurt me too much. I come from a state tech school, severely underfunded, and not very renown for its academics (The average ACT is 22). At risk of offending alumni, I wont name the school. Will this hurt my application too much? I was just wondering what schools would be a stretch for me, which schools I have a fair shot at... and lastly, will my school hurt me?
I think you have a pretty good chance anywhere outside of perhaps the top 25 or so. The thing is, they look for students with research backgrounds in the usnews research top 50. With your 33 MCAT, I wouldn't worry too much that your school is not highly regarded as a hard school to get into. Just apply early and broadly. I would take your MCAT score over mine anyday :)

Hi all,
I hope someone can help me with this decision. I'm wondering if it is absolutely necessary that I take the MCAT again. I will if I have to but I really don't want to, not only because it is a hassle but also because I will take it June 15 and it will put me behind in applications. Here are my stats:

I'm a graduate of Holy Cross (a really good school) as a Theatre Major with a Pre Med concentration. My Science GPA undergrad is 3.0 and my composite GPA undergrad is 3.3
I'm now finishing my masters degree in Medical Science at University of North Texas Health Science Center and my GPA there is a 3.5 (all science courses, including biochem, physiology, pharmacology, structural anatomy).

My MCAT is a 27 with 9's across the board.

I have tons of extracurricular activities from college, i've worked and volunteered in the medical field, and I did Undergraduate Research my senior year of college.

What are my chances of getting in next year (for entrance in 2008) if I take the MCAT again and if I don't take the MCAT again? Will Grad school help in the app process? This will be my first time applying. I'm a Texas resident and plan on applying both in and out of state.

Thanks!

Hi all,
I hope someone can help me with this decision. I'm wondering if it is absolutely necessary that I take the MCAT again. I will if I have to but I really don't want to, not only because it is a hassle but also because I will take it June 15 and it will put me behind in applications. Here are my stats:

I'm a graduate of Holy Cross (a really good school) as a Theatre Major with a Pre Med concentration. My Science GPA undergrad is 3.0 and my composite GPA undergrad is 3.3
I'm now finishing my masters degree in Medical Science at University of North Texas Health Science Center and my GPA there is a 3.5 (all science courses, including biochem, physiology, pharmacology, structural anatomy).

I have tons of extracurricular activities from college, i've worked and volunteered in the medical field, and I did Undergraduate Research my senior year of college.

What are my chances of getting in next year (for entrance in 2008) if I take the MCAT again and if I don't take the MCAT again? Will Grad school help in the app process? This will be my first time applying. I'm a Texas resident and plan on applying both in and out of state.

Thanks!

Your chanes of getting in will most likely depend on where you apply. I would definately recommend DO schools if you are dead set against retaking the MCAT and you are fine with going to a DO school. If you are looking for an allo school, I would strongly recommend retaking the MCAT. You total score and section scores are not that high and this combined with a low GPA is going to severly hurt your chances at allo schools. Even with good ECs you may not make the cutoffs for MCAT and GPA at many schools. The masters is GPA does help your chances, but they will look at both that and your undergrad GPA.

I think you have a good shot at a top 30 school and ivies. Apply early. However, I have to warn you that 9 does present trouble at certain top schools (columbia, WashU)....Remember as a canadian you are competing for fewer spots. However, I am sure you will get in a Canadian school very easily....apply early in the US though, and have a strong PS and LORS. and shadow more a bit...the international experience and research experience is definitely a strong asset. Your 9 on verbal and reputation of your undergrad school would probably give you some trouble at the top schools (eg. Stanford, Harvard)...but heck anything is possible.

EDIT: I just realised that you are from African descent...make sure you choose that when AMCAS asks for "ethnicity". This definitely will help you. Even though you not URM....in fact, it would be enough to get interviews at WashU, Stanford, Harvard. They get very few African descent ppl with your credentials (including american students)

Stats:

Hi all,

Thanks!
Your undergrad GPA and your science GPA is going to kill you. If you think you can do better than 27 then I say go for it. If you improve by 1 on each section, you'll have a solid 30 with 10's across the board. However, your GPA might hurt you a little too much. It looks like EC wise, you are pretty well off.

Like Onedoc19 mentioned, if you are not deadset into going into allo then I suggest applying to some DO schools because you are a very strong DO candidate.

Good Luck :luck:

Hey, my scores are 36M on the MCAT and 3.95 GPA from a biochem engineering program. I've consistantly held a few leadership/officer posistions in student government and other societies. Also, I've gotten 40+ hrs of physician shadowing and had a job as a pharmacy technician (yah I know, kinda playing for another team but still very much patient/clinic-like experience) for about a year during schooling. I've been involved with volunteering in my pre-health organization such as giving assemblies at elementary schools, organizing blood drives, and working at various fundraisers/health awareness events. As for pure independent volunteerism, such as a few hrs per week in the same setting- I'm lacking, partially due to school and work (I totally put myself through school). Is this a deal breaker or does not having a single extended volunteering experience hurt my application bad?

Thanks very much for you input.

Hey, my scores are 36M on the MCAT and 3.95 GPA from a biochem engineering program. I've consistantly held a few leadership/officer posistions in student government and other societies. Also, I've gotten 40+ hrs of physician shadowing and had a job as a pharmacy technician (yah I know, kinda playing for another team but still very much patient/clinic-like experience) for about a year during schooling. I've been involved with volunteering in my pre-health organization such as giving assemblies at elementary schools, organizing blood drives, and working at various fundraisers/health awareness events. As for pure independent volunteerism, such as a few hrs per week in the same setting- I'm lacking, partially due to school and work (I totally put myself through school). Is this a deal breaker or does not having a single extended volunteering experience hurt my application bad?

You're more than ok. Unless you want to attend a top 20 - you'll be fine. If you do want to attend a top 20, you still have a good chance but it's a crapshoot for everyone - there are no guarantees.

I think the pre-med competition is getting to you...you REALLY should not be worrying. You're gonna get in somewhere, guaranteed.

Yesh... okay, but I'd like to know whether my volunteerism experiences are going to seriously affect my chances of getting into my #1 school (which is a midwestern school that is not in the top 20). Thanks.

Yesh... okay, but I'd like to know whether my volunteerism experiences are going to seriously affect my chances of getting into my #1 school (which is a midwestern school that is not in the top 20). Thanks.

No. Just work hard on your essays, get good LORs, and make sure you get your AMCAS and secondaries submitted ASAP and nail your interviews (not your interviewer)...

-j

I can tell you that you have a great chance at getting into med school next year. I can't really speak for the top 20 schools. I know research would be looked favorably on, but I don't believe that it is a requirement. Anyone else want to chime in?

thanks for the reply...any other feedback is greatly appreciated

I can tell you that you have a great chance at getting into med school next year. I can't really speak for the top 20 schools. I know research would be looked favorably on, but I don't believe that it is a requirement. Anyone else want to chime in?
You've pretty much said it todd :thumbup:

OK, so I've been primarily looking at DO schools, but some docs I work with insist that I'm "selling myself short," and that I should look at some more allo schools. I'm already planning on applying to Univ. of Colorado (instate) and Univ. or Maryland (hail-marry school), but I'm having a hard time finding other schools to apply to.

I have a undergrad GPA of 2.95 with BCMP of 2.75. My MCAT is 34R (11,11,12). I have extensive clinical experience with over six years in EMS, and the last three as a paramedic.

So, can anyone think of any other allo schools I might have a chance at?

Nate.

OK, so I've been primarily looking at DO schools, but some docs I work with insist that I'm "selling myself short," and that I should look at some more allo schools. I'm already planning on applying to Univ. of Colorado (instate) and Univ. or Maryland (hail-marry school), but I'm having a hard time finding other schools to apply to.

I have a undergrad GPA of 2.95 with BCMP of 2.75. My MCAT is 34R (11,11,12). I have extensive clinical experience with over six years in EMS, and the last three as a paramedic.

So, can anyone think of any other allo schools I might have a chance at?

Nate.

While your MCAT score is b*tchin', your UGPA is a flat-tire. Both your MCAT score and your UGPA must be as high as you get them. In many cases, one cannot readily make up for another because they tell different stories about your academic prowess. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but I would highly advise against applying to allopathic schools until you raise your UGPA > 3.0 to beat the GPA screens, and really as high as you can within a reasonable time frame, to increase your odds. As is, your chances are poor (almost every choice would be a hail mary, IMHO); I'm not saying you couldn't get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it. If I were in your shoes, I'd take undergraduate science classes, get straight A's in a series of fulltime semesters. Trending A's will definitely help. You can also consider an SMP, after you've increased your UGPA a little, if desired, but you do want to be conscious of the 3-year expiration date on your MCAT score.

DO is a workable bet. You should still definitely delay your application until you can raise your UGPA to as high as you can bring it within a reasonable time frame through post-baccalaureate undergraduate science work, but it could potentially be easier to do this if you apply Osteopathic. The AACOMAS, the primary application service of DO schools, will actually calculate your latest grade for a given class upon repeat into the GPA, instead of the old grade; in other words, only your latest grade for a given class counts into the GPA calculation (grade replacement). This could benefit you significantly. Also, the overall numeric averages for DO schools tend to be lower; DO schools seem to be more forgiving of prior academic history and place plenty of weight on experiences, activities, and extracurricular activities, all things that could work in your favor, I would think.

My conundrum:

I am in the spring of my junior year on the 4 year plan and want to get to medical school in the fall of 2008. My GPA is 4.0, and i've taken principles of bio 1 and 2, general chem 1 and 2, organic chem 1 and 2, molecular cell bio, intro to physics 1 and 2, and genetics. ATM, i'm taking biochemistry, microbiology, and animal biology. I don't see any reason why I won't keep my 4.0 this semester.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, and I plan to take it in June. I took a practice test online and got 7 in PS, 8 in VR, and 11 in BS totaling 26, and this is without any sort of studying or preparation for the MCAT.

However my problem is this: I have absolutely no ECs. I'm your classic hermit that was completely focused on GPA and did no ECs. And being this late in the college process, I don't have any time to do any ECs without putting off medical school for a year.

Basically, I had come this far with the mindset that I'd kill the MCATs and maybe with my GPA and luck, I'd get in. But I was clearly dreaming after having read stuff on this forum and had a friend "wake me up" by telling me the reality.

My ideal would be to get into Emory in GA (I live in GA if that means anything), however i'd be willing to settle for less. I also think that with my studying ability, I can get 30+ on the MCAT. However the ECs will definetly hurt me and I know that.

So my question is: Should I bother to apply now, or will I have to put off applying to medical school for a year to get some experience/volunteering/etc. in? Thanks to all who reply.

My conundrum:

I am in the spring of my junior year on the 4 year plan and want to get to medical school in the fall of 2008. My GPA is 4.0, and i've taken principles of bio 1 and 2, general chem 1 and 2, organic chem 1 and 2, molecular cell bio, intro to physics 1 and 2, and genetics. ATM, i'm taking biochemistry, microbiology, and animal biology. I don't see any reason why I won't keep my 4.0 this semester.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, and I plan to take it in June. I took a practice text online and got 7 in PS, 8 in VR, and 11 in BS totaling 26, and this is without any sort of studying or preparation for the MCAT.

However my problem is this: I have absolutely no ECs. I'm your classic hermit that was completely focused on GPA and did no ECs. And being this late in the college process, I don't have any time to do any ECs without putting off medical school for a year.

Basically, I had come this far with the mindset that I'd kill the MCATs and maybe with my GPA and luck, I'd get in. But I was clearly dreaming after having read stuff on this forum and had a friend "wake me up" by telling me the reality.

My ideal would be to get into Emory in GA (I live in GA if that means anything), however i'll be willing to settle for less. I also think that with my studying ability, I can get 30+ on the MCAT. However the ECs will definetly hurt me and I know that.

So my question is: Should I bother to apply now, or will I have to put off applying to medical school for a year to get some experience/volunteering/etc. in? Thanks to all who reply.

Wow, that really sucks. I'm sure I won't be the first or last to tell you that there will be people with a similar MCAT/GPA as you with the ECs who are applying to the same school and that those people will be accepted before you. Emory is a top 30 school and, not to be harsh, but you probably don't have a shot without ECs. I think you will have a pretty hard time expressing to medical schools your desire to be a doctor without any shadowing, patient contact or volunteering. Personally I don't think you have a choice but to put off applying for a year. That being said only starting ECs your junior year doesn't show a sustained and long-term commitment to these activites, and may through up a red flag to adcoms, as it looks as though you only did them to get into med school, which you did. Now I know that the reason that many people do these activities is precisely that, but generally people who go in to undergrad with the goal of med school start these activites right away. And for that matter, patient contact and job shadowing is very important, in my opinion, in order to make sure that medicine is really the right path for you.

As far as taking a year off, I'm not sure if you can really improve you app by only taking one year off. I assume you are thinking you will to be a "hermit" through the next school year until you graduate and then start activites. If this is the case then one year isn't going to do it, becuase when you apply you will just be starting the ECs. You can afford to get a few A-/B+s if it means doing ECs, and honestly there is no reason why you can't do both things and still get As. I'm not saying that it is easy - I get about 6 hours of sleep a night, but I know that I am a stronger person for challenging myself in this way.

Good luck!

I assume you are thinking you will to be a "hermit" through the next school year until you graduate and then start activites.

Actually, I plan on trying to improve my ECs starting this summer and into the next year if I end up waiting a year to apply. I am currently planning to focus 100% on MCAT studying after finals are over on May 7th. So between May 8th and June 14th, I plan to study non-stop for MCATs. However, i'm still considering if I should start focusing on ECs now, and not wait till after MCATs to start (i.e. June 15th and onwards). And the other things you said are pretty much all true, and it's as I feared/expected. I'll make my final decision on whether or not to apply now or later after i've talked to an advisor at college, but i'd definetly like to hear more from you and others so I can have all the information :)

I really wouldn't recommend trying to balance MCAT studying, finals and ECs if you aren't used to it. I assume that most people plan to be lass busy, which usually means doing less work, research or volunteering, during the time they are preparing for the MCAT, I did. If you want to do something extra, start working on your app so that if you decide to apply this year you won't be so busy putting together your app in teh summer and will therefore have more time for ECs.

So, when you start ECs, this is what I recommend - you should do at least one thing from each of the following categories:
1) Work (medically related) or Research
2) Doctor Shadowing (best if you find someone who will let you follow him/her around on a regular basis (once weekly), but this can be difficult to find, if you can't find this, find a few doctors who would let you follow them once a month)
3) Volunteering with patient contact - find something that lets you do more than push people around in wheelchairs
4) Volunteerng without patient contact - find an organization whose cause you are passionate about
5) Join a student organization at your school that you would enjoy going to, this doesn't need to be medically related and actually is probably best if it isn't. These types of ECs let the ADCOMs get to know you better.
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

You could probably see if you can get a volunteer position at a nearby hospital and volunteer ~3 or 4 hours a week, which won't take up too much of your time. However, if you really aren't going to have a lot of ECs, you should probably take a year off and get a research position or try to find a medically related job. Since there's room for 15 activities (or something like that) on AMCAS, your application is going to look REALLY bare compared to almost everyone else's.

Suppose that a student has a 2.67GPA with a 3.9ScienceGPA (perfect trend) transferred to a liberal arts school and achieved a final 4.0GPA for his junior and senior year, pulled a 36-40 R-T on his MCATS. Do you think that would stand well for top tier schools? Mind you, this theoretical student worked his/her butt off and achieved the following:

1. Program Director of an academy overlooking 30 teachers and 250 students.
2. Spent his summers in North Korea and China helping those less fortunate.
3. Received numerous scholarships.
4. President of 3 clubs founder of 1.
5. Researched and co-author of publication.
6. Author of his/her own book.
7. Volunteered for 3 years.
8. Attended great summer programs.
9. Many leadership attributes.
10. Double-majored (maybe if it helps)

Honestly, what do you guys think about this persons chance at, let's say Harvard Medical School?

I am applying this summer with a 3.3 gpa and 3.2 sci gpa. My MCAT is a 36 and I have a ton of leadership positions on campus and research. Do you guys who got in think I have a shot at Drexel? I had a ton of family problems throughout college and hope that my MCAT score redeems me. Thanks.

My conundrum:

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, and I plan to take it in June. I took a practice test online and got 7 in PS, 8 in VR, and 11 in BS totaling 26, and this is without any sort of studying or preparation for the MCAT.

My ideal would be to get into Emory in GA (I live in GA if that means anything), however i'd be willing to settle for less. I also think that with my studying ability, I can get 30+ on the MCAT. However the ECs will definetly hurt me and I know that.

Judging by the study/academic abilities that got you your GPA, I would put money on a +30 MCAT and I don't even know you. Everyone here is going to tell you that you should take a year off and get your extracurriculars. I also recommend getting a job in a medical field in addition to volunteering.

However, if I were you I would take a chance at a different approach than anyone has suggested so far. Overload yourself with good ECs tomorrow(shadowing preferably) and tell a story of your new found interest in medicine stemming from these experiences. Show them you can pull off a lot of hours EC and still keep your GPA 3.8+ and they may bite.

Hey Everyone.

Thank you in advance to any who reply and good luck to everyone here.

Overall and Science GPA 3.55, just under 3.8 each of my last two years.

Written the MCAT once and received a 31M.

Quite a number of volunteer experiences, a couple typical research positions but no papers published. As far as clinical experience, I had one fairly brief shadowing experience and I have worked as a sleep technician hosting patients nightly full time for the last year (while still pulling off a near 3.8GPA).

I think my major obstacle is that I'm applying as a Canadian, but looking at some of the average MCAT scores I guess 31M might be less competitive.

If anyone wishes to share their honest opinion (no hopeful bs, I can take it haha) I would be grateful. I'm wondering whether I should take my chances and apply early or retake the MCAT?

Also, as a side note, does anyone know which schools are Canadian-friendly? Apparently, I'm not great at searching through these threads.

My conundrum:

Judging by the study/academic abilities that got you your GPA, I would put money on a +30 MCAT and I don't even know you. Everyone here is going to tell you that you should take a year off and get your extracurriculars. I also recommend getting a job in a medical field in addition to volunteering.

However, if I were you I would take a chance at a different approach than anyone has suggested so far. Overload yourself with good ECs tomorrow(shadowing preferably) and tell a story of your new found interest in medicine stemming from these experiences. Show them you can pull off a lot of hours EC and still keep your GPA 3.8+ and they may bite.

The average score is usually around 24, but the average accepted score is 29-30.

Yeah...he asked about age, not MCAT score.

EDIT: Sorry, should have read the next few posts down the list

Hey Everyone.

Thank you in advance to any who reply and good luck to everyone here.

Overall and Science GPA 3.55, just under 3.8 each of my last two years.

Written the MCAT once and received a 31M.

Quite a number of volunteer experiences, a couple typical research positions but no papers published. As far as clinical experience, I had one fairly brief shadowing experience and I have worked as a sleep technician hosting patients nightly full time for the last year (while still pulling off a near 3.8GPA).

I think my major obstacle is that I'm applying as a Canadian, but looking at some of the average MCAT scores I guess 31M might be less competitive.

If anyone wishes to share their honest opinion (no hopeful bs, I can take it haha) I would be grateful. I'm wondering whether I should take my chances and apply early or retake the MCAT?

Also, as a side note, does anyone know which schools are Canadian-friendly? Apparently, I'm not great at searching through these threads.

Hey, we have pretty similar credentials. I have three interviews so far in Canada (check out my mdapplicants --> 7074).

As long as your home province is not Ontario, I don't think you should have a problem. Is this your first time taking the MCAT? If so, I would suggest retaking it. Try and aim for 10+ in each section and a P/Q on the writing sample (this is doable as long as you practice). This way you are guaranteed interviews at UWO and Queen's <I was stupid for not applying to Queen's this year>.

I thought about applying to the US, but it seems difficult. I don't feel like retaking the MCAT and definitely think that being a Canadian can be a hindrance to the US application process.

i have a really high gpa and a really high mcat from a really good school. Where will i go to medical school?

Yeah...he asked about age, not MCAT score.

EDIT: Sorry, should have read the next few posts down the list

And I should have read the original post before I replied with the post you replied to.

My conundrum:

Do not count on achieving an MCAT score until you take the actual test. My diagnostic score was a 27. I was averaging in the mid-30s on AAMC tests with a low of 33. My actual score was below 30 due to a bunch of extraneous circumstances that occured less than 12 hours before the start of the test and AAMC's verbal glitch. Do not count your chickens before they hatch!

In regards to your other question, I know people applying this year that started extracurricular activities such as clinical experience the summer they applied. They interviewed at places such as Yale and Dartmouth, and they have done fairly well this year. They are from LACs, have decent GPAs, and they got between 33-35. It is definately possible to do this. If you start this year with activities, you will probably be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.